How do you make new race buildings?

By on September 18, 2010 11:06:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Magog_AoW

Join Date 09/2009
+29

I'm modding a new race. So far, I have managed to get the base structure changed by creating a specific cityhub.xml for my race. But where do the other buildings go in? Like shacks and stuff?

I have read Frogboys guide on modding races but it does not help me.

Edit: To clarify, I want to replace the old buildings with new ones I have made in the tile editor. Not add new features.

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 18, 2010 2:28:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The way the game works right now, if you want to mod it just for you own race (and not all kingdom/empire) You pretty much have to copy all the old buildings, and techs. Change the techs to offer the new copied version of the building, then change the copied building to use the new tiles.

Edit: I said it kinda backwards, but I think you know what I mean (you have to make the copied building require the copied techs).

September 18, 2010 4:04:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, help me out here... Copy all buildings and techs, ok, which files are we talking about?

And how do I make sure my race use these copied files and not the old ones?

September 18, 2010 4:24:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You need to look at TechTree_Trog and Techs_Trog (or Techs_Amarian depending on faction allegiance). Look for these files in the Only-SP folder. Then most of the buildings are in EmpireSpecialImprovements for empire, yada yada. Look in the Core Improvements folder. The improvements are spread out amongst a few different xmls, but they are all in that folder. What I did to make my race have completely different improvements was to take the original starting buildings (I used empire, so labor pit, archivists, etc) and prereq them to the race of fallen. (All empire factions have been set to the fallen race). Make sure in your raceconfig file that you have the <RaceClassification> set to your race name. I think there's another file you have to edit for that as well. I believe it's Racetypes. If you want, check out my wip mod here:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/394286

I'll be uploading an update later, as I had to fix the spells since 1.08 came out.

At least if you check all that out, you can get an idea of what I did.

September 18, 2010 4:43:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting impinc,
You need to look at TechTree_Trog and Techs_Trog (or Techs_Amarian depending on faction allegiance). Look for these files in the Only-SP folder. Then most of the buildings are in EmpireSpecialImprovements for empire, yada yada. Look in the Core Improvements folder. The improvements are spread out amongst a few different xmls, but they are all in that folder. What I did to make my race have completely different improvements was to take the original starting buildings (I used empire, so labor pit, archivists, etc) and prereq them to the race of fallen. (All empire factions have been set to the fallen race). Make sure in your raceconfig file that you have the <RaceClassification> set to your race name. I think there's another file you have to edit for that as well. I believe it's Racetypes. If you want, check out my wip mod here:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/394286

I'll be uploading an update later, as I had to fix the spells since 1.08 came out.

At least if you check all that out, you can get an idea of what I did.

I did try the whole raceclassification thing, but couldn't get it to work... But since it works for everyone else I assume I'm doing something wrong.

When I used <Prereq> <Type>Race</Type> <Attribute>Fallen</Attribute> </Prereq> for a Hut, then the fallen couldn't build huts...

September 18, 2010 7:10:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is the actual code in your xml? Did you copy the whole thing? This is an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<ImprovementTypes>
 <DataChecksum NoParse="1">
  <Ignore>DisplayName</Ignore>
  <Translate>DisplayName</Translate>
 </DataChecksum>

<ImprovementType InternalName="F_Hovel">
  <Prereq>
   <Type>Race</Type>
   <Attribute>Fallen</Attribute>
  </Prereq>
 </ImprovementType>

</ImprovementTypes>

That should do it. F_Hovel is already defined elsewhere, all you need to do is assign one more prereq like above. Things get weird if you start overwriting stuff thats already there. Plus this is a lot cleaner. That's how I have it in my files, and things work fine. I can build the hovel as any other empire, but can't build it for my custom race.

September 19, 2010 6:40:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I made it! I'm a bit embarrassed, but I will show my error anyway so that hopefully others wont make the same mistake.

I forgot to rename the improvement type in this tag: <ImprovementType InternalName="F_Hovel">.
Should be something like: <ImprovementType InternalName="YourRace_Hovel">.

Thank you so much for helping me! Impinc, your clean code tip is very clever!

Now my Azracs can build their tents:

September 19, 2010 12:44:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ooh, looks good. Seems a bit more like some desert civilization with that color scheme though, heheh.

September 19, 2010 12:58:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This can help:

The files you need to creat your own outpost, walls, buildings

http://forums.elementalgame.com/395871

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: