Master of Magic Mod

Re-Creating the Classic Experience

By on September 14, 2010 10:12:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

UltimateEle...

Join Date 08/2010

Master of Magic is the best game ever.

The above statement is fact, not opinion.

The Master of Magic team has now been formed! Right now we are in the design stage pre Elemental v1.1.

For more information, please see:

http://www.ultimateelemental.com/forums/13-master-of-magic-mod.html

Team Members

Raledon - Team Lead / Designer

larienna - Team Lead / Designer

UltimateElemental - Programmer / Site Admin

ProgRockGuy - 2d Artist

Want to join? Just click on the link above. We currently need: 3d modelers, artists, documentation writers and testers.

Locked Post 60 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 15, 2010 3:04:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great pal, good luck!

Still... wouldn't it be better if you joined forces with other modders who have the same goal, like Raledon?

Check here:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/394106 

And I believe I've seen even more in this forum.

September 15, 2010 3:19:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

It's an opinion.

September 15, 2010 7:38:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

quoting postMaster of Magic is the best game ever.

It's an opinion.

Naw, it's a fact. Like Krispy Kreme is better than Dunkin Donuts etc.

September 15, 2010 8:01:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed fact -

September 15, 2010 8:14:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

It's an opinion.

When factoring in the manner in which it was stated, the technicality becomes irrelevant.

What actually happens is that a new and parallel world is instantiated upon completion of that statement, wherein Master of Magic is indeed the best game ever. I travel there often.

September 15, 2010 9:08:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

When factoring in the manner in which it was stated, the technicality becomes irrelevant.
Not a few people in these forums would say that Age of Wonders (whichever version they like more) IS the best game ever. People at the Starcraft II forums may disagree though. And lets not forget Battle Chess players!!!

September 15, 2010 9:21:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, as a 5th grade teacher who just finished teaching his class the difference between fact and opinion, I can definitely say that it is a fact that MoM is the best gameever.  Another fact - Krispy Kreme donuts are disgusting.

September 15, 2010 11:12:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting psu81,
Well, as a 5th grade teacher who just finished teaching his class the difference between fact and opinion, I can definitely say that it is a fact that MoM is the best gameever.  Another fact - Krispy Kreme donuts are disgusting.

Maybe in your world, but since we all know that the world revolves around me...

Master of Magic is indeed the best video game ever, and Krispy Kreme donuts are indeed the best in the world.

September 15, 2010 2:59:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I owe my wonderful marriage and my career to Master of Magic. It's a true story but I won't bother you with the details.

September 15, 2010 4:02:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MoM is the best game ever = opinion.

X-Com is the best game ever = fact.

September 15, 2010 4:53:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jereome,

Quoting psu81, reply 7Well, as a 5th grade teacher who just finished teaching his class the difference between fact and opinion, I can definitely say that it is a fact that MoM is the best gameever.  Another fact - Krispy Kreme donuts are disgusting.

Maybe in your world, but since we all know that the world revolves around me...

Master of Magic is indeed the best video game ever, and Krispy Kreme donuts are indeed the best in the world.

Master of Magic might in fact be the best game ever.  But there is no such thing as a disgusting doughnut.  

September 15, 2010 5:35:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

quoting postMaster of Magic is the best game ever.

It's an opinion.

That didn't take long to get someone to bite.

September 15, 2010 5:36:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jshores,
I owe my wonderful marriage and my career to Master of Magic. It's a true story but I won't bother you with the details.

Amen.

September 15, 2010 5:40:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mastroego,
Great pal, good luck!

Still... wouldn't it be better if you joined forces with other modders who have the same goal, like Raledon?

Check here:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/394106 

And I believe I've seen even more in this forum.

Thanks for the heads up.

I posted on that thread on potentially helping each other or even joining forces.

September 15, 2010 5:44:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Marriage  AND  career?   I'm  kinda curious, sounds  like  an interesting  story.  Please  elaborate  if  you  desire.

Dumb question,  but  please  help.  Is  there  a way  to  run MOM  on  Windows  7?

September 15, 2010 6:40:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Progrock58,
Dumb question,  but  please  help.  Is  there  a way  to  run MOM  on  Windows  7?

DOSBox is probably your best bet.

September 15, 2010 7:06:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting thehandofzarquon,

Quoting Progrock58, reply 15Dumb question,  but  please  help.  Is  there  a way  to  run MOM  on  Windows  7?

DOSBox is probably your best bet.

DOSBox should work, might need to check settings.

September 15, 2010 7:17:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Progrock58,

Marriage  AND  career?   I'm  kinda curious, sounds  like  an interesting  story.  Please  elaborate  if  you  desire.

Career:

When I was around 15, a friend of mine down the road bought a 386 computer with some money he got through a settlement for a wreck he was in. He bought some games, Quest for Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, some other Sierra games and Master of Magic. I liked the other games but I LOVED Master of Magic. I spent that summer and much of the fall working at a machine shop saving up money for a computer. I saved up ~1600 dollars all in 5s, 10s and 20 dollar bills. I took a stack of money over 6 inches high to the local computer store and bought my first "real" computer, a 486 dx-2 66 with 4 meg of ram, a 250 meg hard drive. I bought Master of Magic and really got into computers after that. I had 0 interest in computers until I played Master of Magic at my friend's house. After that, I went to college, graduated and work as a systems analyst. I bought a computer just to play Master of Magic, and by extension that led to my interest in computers and eventually programming.

Marriage:

I had a friend who would come to my house and hang out. I introduced him to Master of Magic and he became obsessed. He quit coming over to hang out with me and instead would come over to play Master of Magic until the wee hours of the morning since he did not have a computer. After weeks of doing this, he could tell it was annoying me. So to placate me, he started bringing his sister over to hang out, chat with me, keep me company while he played Master of Magic on my computer. We became friends, friendship led to hours of making out, that led to a relationship, which led to marriage and now a beautiful daughter. And I owe it all to my friend feeling bad because he was hogging my computer to play Master of Magic.

Win7:

"D-fend Reloaded" has been the best option I have found to play Master of Magic on windows 7. It works as a front end for DOSbox that is super easy to use and it allows for custom configurations for all your DOS games. It has default configurations for popular DOS games including master of magic.

If you have any problems getting it going in D-fend or DOSbox, feel free to ask for advice!

September 15, 2010 7:21:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Marriage:

I had a friend who would come to my house and hang out. I introduced him to Master of Magic and he became obsessed. He quit coming over to hang out with me and instead would come over to play Master of Magic until the wee hours of the morning since he did not have a computer. After weeks of doing this, he could tell it was annoying me. So to placate me, he started bringing his sister over to hang out, chat with me, keep me company while he played Master of Magic on my computer. We became friends, friendship led to hours of making out, that led to a relationship, which led to marriage and now a beautiful daughter. And I owe it all to my friend feeling bad because he was hogging my computer to play Master of Magic.

There has never been a story better than this.  Ever.  Except maybe Austin Powers.  But this is a close second.

September 16, 2010 8:45:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

jshores, thats a great story (marriage). Kinda amusing how such a game can bring to marriage .

Ulti: I would love us to join forces. It seems we have a bit different visions about how the game should be (races for example), but I believe it won't be problem.

PM me when you think we can talk via IRC or some such about where each of us is standing and what we are planning, and to know each other better. For me the best times would be around noon (current time here is 14:40).

Also, MoM is the best game for it's genera, as a fact. There are no games like it. Age of Wonders is the game that comes the closest, but it's more like Heroes than MoM.

September 19, 2010 2:02:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jharii,

Marriage:

There has never been a story better than this.  Ever.  Except maybe Austin Powers.  But this is a close second.

All hail MoM!!!

Let's just hope I can recreate it through the excellent Elemental engine. A lot of the techy problems have been taken care of, they just need to improve the balance and magic systems.

September 19, 2010 5:55:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MoM make the mind sparkle with Fantasy and the urge to zap things with your mighty spells - and now it also is a procreational tool for nerds!

all hail the power that is MoM!

September 20, 2010 6:27:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jshores,

Career:

When I was around 15, a friend of mine down the road bought a 386 computer with some money he got through a settlement for a wreck he was in. He bought some games, Quest for Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, some other Sierra games and Master of Magic. I liked the other games but I LOVED Master of Magic. I spent that summer and much of the fall working at a machine shop saving up money for a computer. I saved up ~1600 dollars all in 5s, 10s and 20 dollar bills. I took a stack of money over 6 inches high to the local computer store and bought my first "real" computer, a 486 dx-2 66 with 4 meg of ram, a 250 meg hard drive. I bought Master of Magic and really got into computers after that. I had 0 interest in computers until I played Master of Magic at my friend's house. After that, I went to college, graduated and work as a systems analyst. I bought a computer just to play Master of Magic, and by extension that led to my interest in computers and eventually programming.

I took a similar path. I have played MoM more than every other game combined... which is scary to think of.

September 20, 2010 6:54:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This sounds great...there an ETA?

September 20, 2010 7:13:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sir Malcolm,
MoM is the best game ever = opinion.

X-Com is the best game ever = fact.

FACT!!!!!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: