Undead Rising 2.1!!! Fixed for 1.09 (Download Here)

A Dragonlance Mod Team Production.

By on September 7, 2010 5:57:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX

Join Date 10/2008
+194

Presenting the Undead Rising 2.1!!! A Dragonlance Mod Team Production.

Created by Raven X and worked on by Raven X, Dhuran, and Impinc!!!

Download Here: http://www.filefront.com/17344915/Undead-Rising-2.1.zip/

Please follow the Install Directions Carefully. I will gladly help if I can, but, as many of you may know it's rather hard to explain things to people without actually being there in person. All folders are labeled so it should be really easy to figure out where things go. Enjoy!!!

Installation:

1. Place the folders "UR" and "Gfx" in: Documents\My Games\Elemental\Mods .

2. In that directory you'll see the folder "Gfx". When placing the Gfx folder from the mod in there you may be asked to over-write, do so. Don't worry, it will not over-write anything else you may have in the folder, it will only place the new files in the folder.

3. Place the "UR" folder in  Documents\My Games\Elemental\Mods .

Note: You may need to hunt down and delete any old files from previous versions you may have. Those files are old and don't work and may cause problems if you install the new version over them as the new version's files have been re-named to a new standard naming convention.

MAJOR Credits and props go to Impinc for helping me out with the Fix for the XML's for this version!!! Thanks Imp!!!

Zombies!!!!

Zombies are now in league with the forces of the undead. Notice the flesh damage and bones sticking out. Not to mention some extra blood and gore.

Undead Rising 2.1 features a Fully Functional Undead Faction. The faction of "Ravenloft" from the D&D realm by the same name. Ravenloft is more precisely known as the "Demiplane of Dread" and it is populated mostly by powerful undead creatures and Lords of Darkness. One of these lords is a powerful Vampire named Strahd and it is he who leads the forces of Ravenloft in Undead Rising 2.0. You can either play as the faction yourself or place it in the world and it can fight against you and the other Elemental Sovereigns. The AI will use both the custom Skeleton Skin OR the Custom Zombie Skin when creating units, so expect to see both. The Mod also allows the player to create either a Skeletal or Zombie Sovereign.

Here's Strahd's Story taken straight from his Sovereign Background in the Mod. This explains how the forces of Ravenloft got to the world of Elemental to begin with, enjoy:

Strahd is the Vampire Lord of Ravenloft. Trapped on the Demiplane of Despair, the ancient Vampire longed for a return to a living world, fresh with the blood of the living to sustain his eternal hunger. The Dark Powers that have kept Strahd a prisoner of Ravenloft for so very long have finally slipped up in their ever vigilant watch to keep the ancient Vampire trapped in their dimension. Using a great planar gate and the life force of many many innocent people, Strahd was able to open a planar gate that swallowed all of his capitol city. When the gate finally sealed its-self, Strahd, and in fact his whole city, were transported to a new world in a new dimension. The World of Elemental. Now Strahd has only one goal. To defeat the channelers and drain their life essence. Then he will assume his place as the New God of Death in the world of Elemental. Who can stop him and his ravaging hordes of undead minions?

Lord Strahd with a Undead Skeleton and Zombie on the Faction Selection Screen.

Empire of Ravenloft Description.

Undead Keep Under Construction.

Undead Keep Finished.

A Note on Creating New Units:

When creating a new Undead Unit, if you click "Design" and get a Skeleton and want a Zombie, just click "Cancel" and then click "Design" again. There is a 50/50 chance of getting either skin to show up. Enjoy the faction of Ravenloft!!!!

Special Thanks:

Everyone give a very Special Thank You to Impinc and Dhuran from the Dragonlance Team, because without their knowledge helping me this Mod would Not have been possible. Thank You Impinc and Dhuran!!!! Also Special thanks to Heavenfall for a last minute Clothing Hotfix!!!

Locked Post 134 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 7, 2010 3:27:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Holy crap this looks cool. Dude, you rock.

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that has me so excited about elemental in spite of the rough launch.

September 7, 2010 3:34:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

Quoting the Gorgon, reply 14Wow, I always dreamed of a Ravenloft mod for Elemental, and here it is coming already! Great work, it looks extremely promising. Both Strahd, the castle and the zombies look really cool.

To make it even more Ravenlofty maybe it could be possible for the Darklord (sovereign, Lord Strahd) to have some kind of powers over the land and the people wihtin his domain (=the tiles under his influence) like a Darklord can control weather etc in his domain. Also, morale of opponents could go down just by entering. Maybe special magic to seal the borders - with a wall of bones ... All these things making the Raveloft setting special ...   

I'm actually wanting to do a lot of that. The main thing that's been keeping me from doing custom skills and abilities and stuff right now is, honestly, all the balance issues the game has. I want to wait until the Stardock Team has things balanced out the way they want it first with damage values and all that. THEN I'll work on making skills and spells and things like for the base game.

Making all the custom values for the DL Mod is one thing, because all the things in the DL Mod will be balanced against one another. In the normal base game though if I include a new skill or spell then I have to make sure it's balanced and works well in the confines of the normal game world. Being that I'm an ex game designer balance and fairness are both important to me and should be to any decent modder or game maker. Having cool super weapons and skills is awesome, but having those same things be able to steamroll your enemies while they in turn can't use them against you as well makes for a very boring game.

You can bet your bottom dollar though we've got LOTS of custom skills, spells, and abilities in the works for when things are more stable for the base game and TONS of them for the DL Mod regardless.

Great, indeed the game is far from balanced at the moment so you are right to wait. Take your time (and SD will definately need some time to settle and balance the game), and then unleash the wrath of the Domains of Dread on us all.  

September 7, 2010 3:42:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it possible to add in custom tilesets and associate them with the new faction as well, so that the new undead faction alters the terrain within its area of control just like the kingdoms and Empire faction do? Instead of the terrain becoming pretty green(kingdoms) or dark/foreboding(empires) maybe it becomes "undead looking". dead cracked ground, dead vegetation, little opened tombs and skeletons laying around, etc, maybe a eerie green/black glow. 

September 7, 2010 5:15:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the look of this mod. You are doing a fantastic job. It really is this sort of thing that makes me so excited about what elemental is going to become over the next few days. It seems over the last few days alot of fantastic looking stuff is coming from the community.

September 7, 2010 5:25:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yeah, I agree.  This kind of thing is what makes Elemental such a valuable game and will take it well beyond the core game.  Awesome work!!!

September 7, 2010 5:30:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is so awesome.

September 7, 2010 5:37:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

the zombies are gruesome, i love it!  your doing an excellent job.

September 7, 2010 5:52:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey guys, 

Once this is released, do you mind if I include it as an option in the faction editor/random faction creator?   I'd like to include as many races/factions as I can in the editor so people can have choices.   Of course, people could install this mod separately and still reference it in the eidtor, but I'd like to make the races coming out show up as defaults in the drop downs.

What do you think?  

September 7, 2010 6:59:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

I'm actually wanting to do a lot of that. The main thing that's been keeping me from doing custom skills and abilities and stuff right now is, honestly, all the balance issues the game has. I want to wait until the Stardock Team has things balanced out the way they want it first with damage values and all that. THEN I'll work on making skills and spells and things like for the base game.

Having cool super weapons and skills is awesome, but having those same things be able to steamroll your enemies while they in turn can't use them against you as well makes for a very boring game.

These are the exact same reasons I have been reluctant/lazy in my modding of Elemental.  I'd really love to create a brand new world I have in mind, but I don't envy the position of having to constantly update it to suit the onslaught of upcoming patches.  I'm feeling a little more inclined after seeing what you've been able to do though.

On the second point I quoted, this is my design philosophy when modding as well.  I don't like putting anything into the game that the AI won't also use.  I'm glad to hear you'll be doing this this way.

September 7, 2010 6:59:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

...AWESOME!!! 

September 7, 2010 7:29:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

*jaw drops*

Wow ... I really like where you're going with this .  I (as others here do) eagerly await your mod.  You really have got a talent you know! You make this necromancer very very happy  .

Thank you again for you work in progress mod!

September 7, 2010 8:05:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice work! Skins look good, Like the castle, but gotta ask on the skin is the pentagram specific to the Ravenloft lore or is that just something you threw in? It has been a long time since I read anything Ravenloft themed.

Anyways, keep up the god work!

September 7, 2010 9:34:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bobby Hardenbrook,
Is it possible to add in custom tilesets and associate them with the new faction as well, so that the new undead faction alters the terrain within its area of control just like the kingdoms and Empire faction do? Instead of the terrain becoming pretty green(kingdoms) or dark/foreboding(empires) maybe it becomes "undead looking". dead cracked ground, dead vegetation, little opened tombs and skeletons laying around, etc, maybe a eerie green/black glow. 

Sure is, that's why there's a pic of a tile there . Changing the spread of a faction is pretty easy in the XML for basic types, I'm not sure for custom type pics but I'm sure it's probably "possible". Dhuran is great at being able to "Brute Force" something through the code but that requires a slightly complex installation by the end user so we try to keep things done without having to "force" anything.

Quoting Murteas,
Hey guys, 

Once this is released, do you mind if I include it as an option in the faction editor/random faction creator?   I'd like to include as many races/factions as I can in the editor so people can have choices.   Of course, people could install this mod separately and still reference it in the editor, but I'd like to make the races coming out show up as defaults in the drop downs.

What do you think?  

I think we can definitely work something out, Murteas. I can send you the files needed to add just the race and skins but not the faction if you'd like. That way players can use them as they wish. I'd like to keep at least some parts resident to this mod though so people have to download it to get the good. I love watching the download count rise on things the team and I create. Even though this is a labor of love and I would do it for my own enjoyment even if everyone else hated it, my fragile ego still needs to be fed continuously and it's main source of nourishment is watching the download counts rise .

You do great work though, my friend, and we'd be honored to have parts of our work in your mods.

Quoting w34sl3,
Nice work! Skins look good, Like the castle, but gotta ask on the skin is the pentagram specific to the Ravenloft lore or is that just something you threw in? It has been a long time since I read anything Ravenloft themed.

Anyways, keep up the god work!

I just threw in the Pentagram for fun really. It was part of the texture I got my inspiration for the skin from. I just think it looks cool.

September 7, 2010 9:53:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This looks really awesome!

Can't wait to roll out the peasant army w/ pitchforks and torches. (we need a mod for torches as weapons)

September 7, 2010 10:44:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

I think we can definitely work something out, Murteas. I can send you the files needed to add just the race and skins but not the faction if you'd like. That way players can use them as they wish. I'd like to keep at least some parts resident to this mod though so people have to download it to get the good. I love watching the download count rise on things the team and I create. Even though this is a labor of love and I would do it for my own enjoyment even if everyone else hated it, my fragile ego still needs to be fed continuously and it's main source of nourishment is watching the download counts rise .

You do great work though, my friend, and we'd be honored to have parts of our work in your mods.

I totally understand.   As you release we'll figure out what works the best.  Perhaps I'll add a check box for people to enable additional race mods they've downloaded (with links to the race mods).   In any case, you've done great work.  Looking forward to trying this out.  

September 8, 2010 4:35:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about make the undead realm more nasty, such as allowing you  slaughter your population to instantly gain some fresh corpse warrior. Make the undead realm alway the enemy of mortal kingdom, they can never be in peace. Make the dead body one of your resource, you can acquire it in every battle and by slaughtering your own people.

September 8, 2010 4:51:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,

I totally understand.   As you release we'll figure out what works the best.  Perhaps I'll add a check box for people to enable additional race mods they've downloaded (with links to the race mods).   In any case, you've done great work.  Looking forward to trying this out.  

I noticed that in the Mod, if you goto the Workshop and make a new faction, you can choose "Undead" as their race and it goes back and forth between a Skel and a Zombie. If you pick undead and it shows a pic of a skel, but you want a zombie, just pick something else then come back to undead and it will change. There's a 50/50 chance on what skin will show when you create units or pick the race. Adding it to what you're doing should be pretty simple.

Quoting dante0125,
How about make the undead realm more nasty, such as allowing you  slaughter your population to instantly gain some fresh corpse warrior. Make the undead realm alway the enemy of mortal kingdom, they can never be in peace. Make the dead body one of your resource, you can acquire it in every battle and by slaughtering your own people.

Those are all ideas being kicked around for Undead Rising 3.0 . Some of the things you mention are easier to do than others.

September 8, 2010 5:47:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bump: Posted and Available for Download!!! Enjoy everyone!!!

September 8, 2010 6:33:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OMGOMGMOGOMGMOGM

+1 this is some great work! And congrats on the first "real" race mod.

Edit A question, I think a lot are curious about. How fleshed out is the tech tree?

September 8, 2010 6:40:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
OMGOMGMOGOMGMOGM

+1 this is some great work! And congrats on the first "real" race mod.

Edit A question, I think a lot are curious about. How fleshed out is the tech tree?

For now it's using the standard Wraith Tech Tree. In the next version we'll add custom techs and spells. We're already working on a Special Magic/Tech that will let you recruit Liche Lords who come with their own essence and cast custom spells. The Necromancy Magic/Techs are going to take some work still, but we've got the foundation laid down at least.

If anyone is interested in doing some custom spell animations please let me know. Right now I completely suck with the particle cauldron.

I appreciate the grats brother, thanks

September 8, 2010 6:45:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also have a request from a modder's perspective. I notice your filenames are all over the place. Since we're stuck with the folders we have, do you think it's possible that you could name your files in a way that we can properly identify which ones belong to the mod? For example, begin each filename with UndeadRising.

September 8, 2010 7:01:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
I also have a request from a modder's perspective. I notice your filenames are all over the place. Since we're stuck with the folders we have, do you think it's possible that you could name your files in a way that we can properly identify which ones belong to the mod? For example, begin each filename with UndeadRising.

Yes. Right now all the files should have "Undead" in them somewhere. The reason the file names are like they are right now is because Dhuran and I both worked on them and we didn't coordinate the names before hand. We actually ran into a funny issue tonight because we both had the same file with different names and couldn't figure out wtf was going on LoL. Also, I wanted to keep the skin file name the same from version 1.0 so that the old skell skin would be over-written with the new one which has been updated some.

Next time around though I'll go with a much better naming convention. Just look for filenames with either "Undead" or "Ravenloft" in the name and you'll know it's part of Undead Rising.

September 8, 2010 8:18:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LOL I can't believe they haven't fixed the AI sovereign suiciding... oh well, about 400 turns in your faction had slowly eaten up 2 other (major) factions and declared war on me! They were sending skellitons and braineaters, it was awesome.

September 8, 2010 8:39:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
LOL I can't believe they haven't fixed the AI sovereign suiciding... oh well, about 400 turns in your faction had slowly eaten up 2 other (major) factions and declared war on me! They were sending skellitons and braineaters, it was awesome.

Nice!!! Screenshots next time

September 8, 2010 9:37:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Been up 2 hours and has 11 downloads already . Sweet...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001875   Page Render Time: