Ideas For Content and Mechanics Part 1. Quests and Ruins

By on September 6, 2010 11:56:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

StarReaper

Join Date 08/2006
+5

A Few things that need some adjustment. My thoughts, borrowed from other games and other lives.

Temples and Ruins:  What I'm trying to accomplish: Give Ruins a bit more depth and RPG feel. Choose your own adventure, if you will. Quests: A strategic and almost balancing way to also increase the game. A lot of people have been mentioning how does a small kingdom with limited resources hold up to a large one? Easy: Quest your butt off. Get those magic items, allies, and extras. This could make the difference.

Here's how it works:

Ruins

Ask for: Gold, Maps, Allies, or Items. Ruins should have a random modifier on what options and what guardian is watching over it.

Example 1. Ruin A. Contains the options for:

Maps: = Part of the map is revealed

Gold: = How much gold between x and x and weak guardian maybe.

Items: = Item is randomly chosen from preset options, some items rarer then           others. Guardian is chosen based on value of the item, more powerful item, more          powerful guardian.

Example 2. Ruin B. Contains options for

Gold

Maps

Each Ruin will randomly have X amount of the available options, and have X amount of chance for say high or low gold, common or rare items, and guardians or no guardians to get the loot.

1. Items

A. Common Items - Purchasable base items.

B. Uncommon Items - Purchasable Magic Items

C. Rare Items  - Non purchasable items which may raise multiple attributes (Typical + X to abilities A.B.C.D or some combination of said abilities.)

D. Mythical Items - Something bad ass.

2.  Gold

A. A lump sum of gold.

B. A reviled ruin that has gold. Only said player can see, or appears just outside of his territory.

3. Maps

Randomly reveal part of the map to the player, maybe let them choose the spot.

4. Allies

A. Give X amount of mythical allies.

B. Give location for that player only to go get mythical allies.

Temples

Temples should be a place to continually go over and over to receive quests, maybe have only a few on the map. They will do two things. Quests and Bless.

1. Quests - More quests, maybe make a thread simply devoted to players writing out quests with specific requirements and what the rewards would be.

A. Monster Quests, Kill X Amount

B. Monster Quests, Spawn Powerful Monster which you must find and hunt                                  down. Big evil mean guy.

C. Item Quests, find and return missing item through travel, monster or bad guy                spawn. Resulting in said item, or reward for return. Or simply find item.

D. Hero Quests, a specific enemy hero is targeted by a quest to be killed. The                                 quest should point out where that hero is at that exact moment. Then the                          chase is on. Of course this quest is going to result in war with the other                           faction.

E. Hero Item Retrieval Quest, retrieve a unique item someone else already found.

F. Assembly Quests:  Find X Amount of Items resulting in a very cool toy once                             all found and assembled.

2. Blessing - Unlimited number of units may be blessed, but each unit may only be blessed once per temple. So if a map has say 4 temples, the max any single unit could be blessed is 4 times.

A. A temple may bless your armies giving them + 1 attack and defend

B. A temple may bless your champions giving them +1 to each stat.

Comments, Thoughts, Suggestions

Locked Post 15 Replies +2 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
valdr666
joasoze
September 7, 2010 12:57:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you God? This is exactly the kind of design I think we all want in the locations system. We have many a time pointed to one building serving as a quest hotspot. There is so much potential in having random variable pick a loot and assign a guardian. I like the way you presented the system. I would also really like to see some magical items being randomly dropped and very rare. I am thinking once in ten games rare. The bless feature would go a long way to adding some variety to the battlefield.

My addition to your line of thinking is qwizard towers that show up as loot locals and offer rare spells, books, and even items. Temples should also be selling us healing potions. I had thought it would be cool to make a healer hero that could specialize in the Book of Restoration and I could give her or him some potions to throw during battles. I always liked potions you throw at one's feet as oppesed to only drank, go charmed ones!

Your post has me planning all sorts of game mods and I hope the devs see it too.

September 7, 2010 2:33:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Im actually writing up a Part 2 which discusses specifically how heros should change slightly. Including active healing and protective spells which i think would add a whole new dimension to the tactical combat. Think if you could heal, or better yet shield specific units from say archers.

Part 3 is going to be about adding depth to the monsters such as having them drop items and such. Even if there is just a blurb that you have new items you picked up from a previous battle, check your inventory and oh look a magical sword from the troll you just killed, or a potion from the pirate looking dude, ect. ect.

*EDIT* Someone just informed me that you can cast a tactical healing spell. my bad.

September 7, 2010 2:46:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is this the old game Warlords

Your ideas have merit. Well done

September 7, 2010 2:51:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love quests like kill 10 trolls, build 20 archers and so on. Warlords meet CIV IV quests.

September 7, 2010 2:58:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please take a look at this and see of you get any good ideas. You are very creative.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/395697

September 7, 2010 3:00:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some of the ideas are from Warlords 2, great game. Good content. Most of the quests now are very simple, it wouldnt take much to fancy them up a tad and really add depth just with those alone.

September 7, 2010 3:00:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StarReaper,
Im actually writing up a Part 2 which discusses specifically how heros should change slightly. Including active healing and protective spells which i think would add a whole new dimension to the tactical combat. Think if you could heal, or better yet shield specific units from say archers.

You can already cast healing spells in tactical combat, and spells that up defense.

Otherwise I like the ideas. Questing is a bit generic as is.

September 7, 2010 3:10:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you or some modder needs text for actual quests I might be able to help a little. Just ask. A quick and dirty example

Building: Old library

As you enter the old library you find that it is not abandoned after all. An old man is sitting in a dark corner and scribbling notes on a very old book. "I am right, i am right" he mutters. As you approach he turns towards you and hold out the book written in an ancient language. "I AM RIGHT" he cries. "Humans and troll have a common ancestor" he says. You turn to leave this crazy old man as he cries out again "I can prove it". "Bring me 3 trolls and a human body and I will show you". "I can pay you with this". He holds out an ancient scroll of magical power.

Do you accept this mission?

Kill 3 trolls and a bandit. Return to the Old library with them and get a scroll of knowledge (+300 experience and +1 intelligence)

September 7, 2010 3:11:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can but I would like this to be something a hero can specialize in with more articulated spells than what we have in v1.07. The defense up is laughable by the midgame tactical battles. I think there should be an aura I could cast around my Sov that protects him while he does some massive damage to those archers and that pesky dog too.

September 7, 2010 2:30:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quests and Ruins should be about grand glory and loot. Metals and materials are all good but not quite Quest worthy.

September 7, 2010 2:55:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do you accept this mission?

Kill 3 trolls and a bandit. Return to the Old library with them and get a scroll of knowledge (+300 experience and +1 intelligence)

The current quest system is fairly robust in terms of how quests can progress (multiple options leading to different endings), but it still depends exclusively on Tiles. A quest can't be made that has you go and hunt wandering monsters - there's no trigger to check for it. The only trigger that exists for your "destination" objective (or in other words, what you have to do) checks that you moved to a specific tile. On the return, you can check for an item (either a quest item rewarded on the previous objective, or an unrelated inventory item). You can't actually move to the quest origin location and have it trigger a continuation without some item. For example, going to inn to get quest to talk to some guy (on special tile), then coming back to inn for next step wouldn't work. You'd have to bring some item that the engine can use as a trigger for "success" that will allow you to continue the quest.

This tile limitation is annoying and prevents a good amount of variety in the quest system, since it only has you move from tile to tile. But, at the same time, the modular objective system has the potential to create huge multi-path quests that can have as many different endings as you'd like.

September 8, 2010 1:31:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is very easy to work in an item for every quest. I like the example of troll and human parts being taken back to prove the genetic link. For the sake of the story we could even have generic token for a quest that is there to serve as the quest item and is merely a descrption of the quest you are on.

Easy peasy cantonesey.

September 8, 2010 12:53:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will sit down with the map creator tonight and really see what it can do, we should start a thread for just quests and just start adding them in slowly but surely. Then we can have a list of premade quests all spelled out. Sean did you have a list somewhere already?

September 8, 2010 1:01:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Only on post for global quests but that is on hold until I see the python opended up and an xml functions list. So lets use this post and really get specific on the details so others can use the same questing system. Ok?

September 8, 2010 1:47:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like a plan.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: