Temple of Elemental Evil

By on September 6, 2010 9:12:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tormy-

Join Date 02/2006
+58

This is my favourite cRPG [the vanilla game is a bugfest, but thanks to the CoE modpack & the ToEE community, the game became epic], so I decided to open a topic for it...especially because the new Circle of Eight modpack [v5.9.0] released!

http://www.co8.org/forum/announcement.php?f=15

"The Circle of Eight is pleased to present the latest versions of our modpack for The Temple of Elemental Evil - Circle of Eight Modpacks 5.9.0 BETA and 5.9.0 NC BETA.

In addition to continued bugfixing, Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.0 BETA features significant improvements to enemy AI in the form of the 'Reactive Temple' mod, which causes the Air, Water, and Fire Temples to reorganize in an intelligent defensive posture if they feel threatened.

Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.0 NC BETA features all of the above, as well as the re-introduction of the city of Verbobonc major expansion, which is now significantly larger are more extensive than the original. It also features the new Arena of Heroes mod.

Both modpacks are identical, save for the major new content expansions included in the NC version. Fans of custom content will likely want to choose the new content (5.9.0 NC BETA) release, while purists might prefer the standard (5.9.0 BETA) release.

For a full list of changes, please see the included release notes."

Locked Post 23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 6, 2010 9:53:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey! I loved that game! And I remember playing it again some yrs ago with one of CoE modpacks!

Looks interesting, I should give it a shot! Thx!

September 7, 2010 8:06:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ahh this game was real good !

Plus i played the DnD campaign and loved it  .

September 7, 2010 8:42:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remember buying the original and not being able to play it.. maybe it's time to go back and get it with all the modpacks/fixes and give it another shot. Thanks for the reminder! I'll play it while waiting for Elemental 1.1 

September 7, 2010 9:01:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting searro,

Plus i played the DnD campaign and loved it  .

Hehe, same here! Wow I did that when I was 9 (!), my first AD&D adventure, with my cousin and his friends, back in the '89 I think!

September 7, 2010 9:14:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ToEE is a fun game with the CoE updates, but it starts so godawfully slow. Once you get inside the temple it's awesome, but around the village, ugh.

September 7, 2010 12:11:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Guys, im an avid RPG fan (more so of the old school RPG's than newer ones but I am aware there are some new gems out there) and i have never played this game.

I saw it released and somehow never got it.

Can you let me know what games its like? What patches / mods to get to get full enjoyment from the game?

Is the story and character customisation any good?

etc?

September 7, 2010 12:19:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ToEE is based on the Greyhawk D&D setting. It is also the most literal translation of the rulebook (especially as far as combat mechanics) in any semi-recent computer D&D game. Combat is entirely turn based (as per D&D, initiative is rolled at start of combat and that determines the order), and this allows for a lot of combat mechanics to be implemented. Things like 5-foot-step, weapon reach, etc that don't see the light of day when translated into a real-time combat system (like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights).

The story basically follows the written Temple of Elemental Evil campaign setting, you should be able to google for it to give yourself an idea. As for character customization, well, it's D&D 3.5

I'm not sure about mods, but the Circle of Eight community patch is basically what you need as far as making sure you get the best gameplay.

Graphics wise it's well done for its age (sample screenshot: http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/greyhawkToEE_071703_012_640w.jpg). Last time I looked at it, it didn't support some of the higher resolutions like 1600 and up, but there may be a community mod/patch for that as well.

September 7, 2010 12:35:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I should go back to this game now.

My first table top AD&D experience was T1 The Village of Hommlet. Plus I still have my ToEE campaign.

I wonder if that thing is worth anything?

September 7, 2010 12:43:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is ToEE being sold anywhere digitally? I didn't see it at GoG or GamersGate, and I can't find my boxed copy.

September 7, 2010 12:49:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wish I could get it for Digital Download. My drive doesn't read game disks. It will read DVD's and CD's just fine, but HATES game disks of any type.

September 7, 2010 12:53:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Too bad this game is trash without Co8's patches and mods. Maybe if Troika hired those guys, they wouldn't have bombed so hard.

September 7, 2010 9:52:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I passed on this game when it first came out because of how full of bugs it was, but I saw the game on the shelf of a computer shop I go to the other day. It's looking like the new Elemental needs a little bit more time in the oven before I pick it up, so maybe I'll take your advice and pick ToEE up then patch it all up.

Lord knows with Disciples 3 letting me down and a delay in Elemental:WoM before it's good to go, I need some tbs fantasy game to keep me going that I haven't played a thousand times(HoMM, AoW:SM, MoM).

September 8, 2010 5:01:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Warmark,
Lord knows with Disciples 3 letting me down and a delay in Elemental:WoM before it's good to go, I need some tbs fantasy game to keep me going that I haven't played a thousand times(HoMM, AoW:SM, MoM).

The two King's Bounty games? Grotesque Tactics?

My impression of Disciples 3 was the same. Currently sitting on the shelf.

September 9, 2010 7:39:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dariune,
Guys, im an avid RPG fan (more so of the old school RPG's than newer ones but I am aware there are some new gems out there) and i have never played this game.

I saw it released and somehow never got it.

Can you let me know what games its like? What patches / mods to get to get full enjoyment from the game?

Is the story and character customisation any good?

etc?

You won't be disappointed. ToEE has the best combat system amongst the cRPGs imo. The AI is quite good as well, but don't forget to install the CoE community modpack. Modpacks like this one shows the potential of mods...without CoE the game is frustrating because of the tons of bugs/unpolished features....with CoE the game is epic.

September 9, 2010 9:08:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice one.

When i get a few spare coins i will buy it i think.

As was mentioned before i wish it was available for digital download.

September 28, 2010 4:27:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remembering see thing game and wonder why BG got so much attnetion and this was only mediocre

October 13, 2010 4:14:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ToEE is now available on GOG.com.

October 13, 2010 4:33:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting coreimpulse,

Only 5.99 too. Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Icewind Dale, now this. They're on a 2d8 roll.

- Othello

October 13, 2010 5:16:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Othello,

Quoting coreimpulse,
reply 17

Only 5.99 too. Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Icewind Dale, now this. They're on a 2d8 roll.

- Othello

Yeah they are. And they're not done yet.  BG2 is expected in the next weeks.  Amazing that ToEE is $6. 

October 13, 2010 5:43:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

EDIT: Replyed in wrong tab....oops

October 13, 2010 7:30:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Back when it was new it was in such a sorry shape that I skipped it entirely. With regret, but I did.

Since then it got modded to hell, fixing virtually all bugs... so the download is running in the background.

Man, and I was just getting started freeing Arulco again and had acquired G3A1 with 7x scopes for both of my snipers. (I remember those ugly things well from my time with the Bundeswehr = )
WTB gaming time!

October 13, 2010 9:00:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm assuming the GOG version is compatible with the Co8 updates? If so, I'll definitely pick it up. Been a long time since I had my disks.

October 13, 2010 9:45:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm assuming the GOG version is compatible with the Co8 updates? If so, I'll definitely pick it up. Been a long time since I had my disks.

It is, and this version has additional materials too.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: