[WIP] Health and Mana Regen buildings for Kingdom and Empire.

By on September 6, 2010 4:33:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

w34sl3

Join Date 02/2010
+6

***This is still a Work In Progress***

I made some simple buildings for adding to the Health and Mana regeneration, which I felt needed a little boost. There are four buildings in all, one of each type for each faction. Each side gets one in their Military tech tree and one in their Magic tech tree.

You can download them Here.

The Mana regens add one more mana per turn to all units outside of tactical combat. They only take up one tile each and you can only build one per settlement.

Fallen Essence Drain    Kingdom Essence Focus

The health regens give you five more health regained per turn to any units inside the city. They take up four tile squares and require a lvl 2 city, again only one per city.

Fallen Witch Doctor   Kingdom Infirmary

While the buildings are abusable and can very well break the game, I dont really feel like they are any more abusable than say the Essence building that adds 50% essence to all units. Build one of those in each of your cities and see how fast you need more mana regen. Health Regen just really aids the game in a much needed area I think. Not so much in the begining but the further along as groups get bigger.

There are still things to be done. I need original Art for all of the tags(Thumbnails, Icons, Medallions. etc.) I can get by with 3 per building, but in the mean time I have used existing ones already in the game. 3 are modified from exisiting game art assets, yet it is clear my mastery of the alpha channel isnt good, as the color bleeds through too brightly on my cloth map icons.

Any talented artists out there are welcome to fill in those Icons with their own work if anyone feels like it. Your work stays your work and I point it out as such. Everyone should get credit for their own effort.

As for the buildings themselves they are a bit skimpy on the amount of objects used. I had originally gone light thinking too many objects would end up taxing the engine. After closer examination to the release buildings, I noticed they packed those tiles full of objects! So I will go back and add more things to fill out the tiles for later releases.

I plan on added another round of Health Regen buildings for much later in the game. Mana Regen I think I will hold off for now until we see how the magic revamp goes.

As a side note this is my first mod for anything that I have released. Well at least anything I can remember. I had fun making them and I hope everyone enjoys them. There will be more to come.

Locked Post 16 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 6, 2010 6:07:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was under the impression that Unitstat_healthregen doesn't actually work. I could be wrong though. Does it appear to work for you?

September 6, 2010 11:49:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It works I tested it for both factions. I originally ran into two problems.

1. You have to define the operator ala <Operator>+</Operator> or it will multiple things by default. Perhaps even by a percentage, I cant recall.

2. Was I had thought I had to define the operator before the value, because otherwise I got a wacky bug where the value was add to the hitpoint total of the unit stationed in the city instead of healing their hitpoints. But looking over my code the operator is defined after the value now. Weird.

Either way it works now like its supposed to. So download and heal away. lol

September 7, 2010 11:14:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Instafaved

September 8, 2010 2:35:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

marking

September 8, 2010 4:26:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope these are working for everyone, I know they are in my game.

Right now I am playing a game as the Tarth nation and as my groups of axe weilding woman gain more xp I am seeing the greater importance of healing improvement buidlings. I cannot imagine having to wait 20 turns to bring my units back to full health. The larger my units get and the more experience they gain only makes me more confident that the Hospital upgrade does indeed need making. Even more so to the Fallen side I would think as hitpoints seem more plentiful to those factions.

As a side note I made a food producing building using some tile sets already created in the tilemaker. but I think it caused some strange bugs when it added to the food resource. Needs more testing and I am not sure it really is required for either side to function.

More to come...

September 8, 2010 4:52:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

wow, so simple, but so very useful... thanks!

September 9, 2010 3:10:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice!

September 9, 2010 3:26:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They work for me.  I will say that if you build 3-4 of the mana regen buildings then unless you're fighting multiple battles per turn you basically never run out of mana.  It's probably unbalanced given the low town level required to build them and the ability to create a bunch of little channelers through Imbue.  It does make magic more fun though.

September 9, 2010 5:24:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quick question, have you worked out how to get the AI to build these buildings?  I think it should be possible, but unless you specifically give it a value to the ai, it will probably ignore them.   Just a thought.  I'll download and give them a try.   Thanks for the work!

September 9, 2010 5:45:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
Quick question, have you worked out how to get the AI to build these buildings?  I think it should be possible, but unless you specifically give it a value to the ai, it will probably ignore them.   Just a thought.  I'll download and give them a try.   Thanks for the work!

I was thinking about that to, concerned that they A.I. wouldnt build them. But I have played games and taken cites where the A.I. has built them. The fallen A.I. to boot.

At the end of each building is an A.I. catagory for it to make a consideration. I think I made them all the Commandpost, thinking that the A.I. would value them more, thus meaning they would be a greater threat to the player.

September 9, 2010 10:55:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good stuff. I was thinking of making a Mana Regen building. The character should have to go to the building to use it though, and only once per turn and one per city. I think that would balance it out nicely. The Undead faction, in the next update, wil have buildings that drain mana, life, and essence from the lands around it.

September 10, 2010 1:32:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,
Good stuff. I was thinking of making a Mana Regen building. The character should have to go to the building to use it though, and only once per turn and one per city. I think that would balance it out nicely. The Undead faction, in the next update, wil have buildings that drain mana, life, and essence from the lands around it.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing about the character should have to be in the city to gain mana, but I dont think it can currently be set that way. Its global on the strategic map or tactical and thats it. I could be wrong as I havent really looked into it but I am waiting on the mana rework before I dedicate anymore time to it. Now the hospital upgrade, yeah that is really needed and being worked on.

September 10, 2010 4:49:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With Mana becoming a global resource. It looks as though the Mana Regen buildings will become a thing of the past as they will no longer be needed. I could change them to Mana resource generating buildings, but I think SD will have thier own buildings they are going to use. Perhaps I will after the change if there still remains a greater need for Mana Gererating structures.

September 10, 2010 9:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's a pic of the Undead Essence Draining building. Note, when I say "Essence Draining" I'm not talking about actual in-game "Essence" but rather the magical Life Force of the lands. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it to work so that characters and armies only gain it's benefits by staying in town. It will require some creative XML, but it's indeed possible. Anyway, here's the pic of the tile I created.

Of course you can't tell from a still image, but, it's got this cool spinning magical cube thing at the top with a vortex drawing in magical energies. It looks really cool in action.

September 11, 2010 12:51:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,
Here's a pic of the Undead Essence Draining building. Note, when I say "Essence Draining" I'm not talking about actual in-game "Essence" but rather the magical Life Force of the lands. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it to work so that characters and armies only gain it's benefits by staying in town. It will require some creative XML, but it's indeed possible. Anyway, here's the pic of the tile I created.

Of course you can't tell from a still image, but, it's got this cool spinning magical cube thing at the top with a vortex drawing in magical energies. It looks really cool in action.

Awesome pic! I know some things you can use to only affect the players in a city. Like the health regen building works that way. I just dont think it can work that way currently with mana. Though once it becomes a global resource perhaps that will change or perhaps I am just mistaken about the restrictions. Never the less I hope as time goes on our abilites to modify content get extended beyond what we have today, giving us more flexibility to develop our own modtypes and attributes and such. I am sure it will, but I wana mess with it now, lol.

September 11, 2010 2:28:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think a mana regen ability would be a nice ring or staff attribute. This will all change on Tue so it is a little bit moot.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000735   Page Render Time: