Hot female battle gear

By on September 3, 2010 6:36:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Shrap123

Join Date 03/2006
+2

Not the highest priority but it would be nice. Gear in general is pretty bland and having girls in armor that don't look just like the men in armor adds some flavor.

Locked Post 244 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 4, 2010 1:07:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Always find it fascinating where the realism lines are drawn on a game where unrealistic stuff happens on a turn by turn basis.

Taking 1 damage from a lightning bolt smacking you on the head is okay. Fighting at full power when you're a paper cut from death (1 HP out of 100) is okay. Breasts and curves on armor is "going too far".

September 4, 2010 1:12:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This topic really seems to divide people in two. I for one would enjoy a sexy amazon army or a domina sovereign taking over the world, but I understand it's not everyones cup of tea. Anyway this kind of stuff is rarely official material (except in German games). So expect it to be modded in.

September 4, 2010 1:22:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Empyrean,
Klingon with Asperger's.

Should I, as an Asperger, feel offended by this?

If you want autists to play that are already hard core gamers, not offending them wouldn't hurt, and don't call them 'Klingons'.

September 4, 2010 1:25:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah Vulcans would of been a way better comparison.

If you want to make a Star Trek reference you should do it right.

September 4, 2010 1:33:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting meeks1,
Submitted for your approval...

Reduced 88%Original 325 x 500

Is she wearing iron leggings? What is protecting her upper leg?

September 4, 2010 2:32:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

wiki of joan of arc has several examples of what the armor should look like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc

September 4, 2010 2:51:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I think female armor than this is as female as I would get.

September 4, 2010 4:00:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd say go for it in the mods, let the stock stuff stay fairly standard and noncontroversial.  That's what mods are for, after all.  Want to have armor made of linked M&M candies?  Go for it. 

September 4, 2010 4:01:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What ever happened to gaming being fun? Everyone's getting so offended and politically correct here. I play games to ESCAPE and AVOID that reality.

Now we're putting people into "Female Armor Approval Committees", submitting suggestions for approval, and can't make Star Trek jokes. Sickening...

I guess my "Man Law" book should just burned too, eh? lol.

/0.5 joking

Anyways, like the poster above me said, if someone wants more interesting armor... let him or her have it! Let the game be OUR game and YOUR game. Let everyone have fun with it.

September 4, 2010 4:10:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Empyrean,
Putting boobs on a breastplate is unnecessary since you can strap them down pretty well, and women certainly would do that before fighting.

Similar to the purpose of a sports bra.  I'm sure that would work for the majority.  Probably be uncomfortable or impractical the larger their breasts are.

I know we focus on the metal armor but if you think about the stereotypical Celtic warrior (sorry, I didn't study so I can't comment on what they really were like) they didn't wear metal armor.  Metal armor was expensive and was generally reserved for the upper class, the royals who could afford it.  The others wore whatever, cloth, leather, etc.  Of course, that's the feudal system.  When it came to professional armies they were supported by the state.  Anyways, going back to the non metal armor, when my female sovereign puts on padded armor it is very unflattering.  Granted, I wouldn't expect Stardock to devote time to this as they have more important things to attend to than the aesthetics of female armor.

I'm sorry, I love this discussion and have to do what I can to keep it going.

BTW, some great illustrations here:

Howard David Johnson
http://www.howarddavidjohnson.com/realism.htm

September 4, 2010 4:13:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Boudicca
http://www.unc.edu/celtic/catalogue/boudica/catalog.html
"She was huge of frame, terrifying of aspect, and with a harsh voice. A great mass of bright red hair fell to her knees: She wore a great twisted golden necklace, and a tunic of many colors, over which was a thick mantle, fastened by a brooch. Now she grasped a spear, to strike fear into all who watched her...…"

-Dio Cassius (Dudley and Webster, 54)

September 4, 2010 4:17:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Check out the photos here. 

Boudicca, Queen Of The Iceni
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swampy_bogtrotter/3576138311/in/set-72157618878920321/

September 4, 2010 4:40:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Akil and I are working on making female versions of all the male armor in the game. It's just refitting mostly.

I understand that the majority of people who play these types of games are male and hence it's pretty much the case that most of the developers in the industry who also make these kind of games cater toward what males like to see.

Which seems to be things like http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7190/cmwa1zh2.jpg

Which would be completely fine. It's not the blatant, ceaseless objectification of women that's the problem.

It's the imbalance of it. I'm never given anything to see like this http://vampjac.com/lj/humor/gygax/pointless_armor.jpg

What if I want to build an army of hunky men in thongs to drool over while I watch them sexily lay waste to my enemies.

Unfortunately for me and anyone who prefers looking at men, it's not happening. Ever.

Therefore I can't really tell you how much this annoys the **** out of me.

The point is, as long as I'm partially in control of what armor is getting put in the game, you probably won't be seeing anything like that. I can agree that we could use some cooler armor concepts (for both men and women) but if you're just out to see some naked chicks, make a mod, because I won't be catering to that ridiculous double standard.

...Unless brad tells me to. In which case I will be. But I will be frowning as I do it, and cursing you all!

September 4, 2010 5:00:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with both zebrafox and foxunit.  I'm a guy and don't get me wrong I like chain mail bikinis but warrior women shouldn't look like hookers with broad swords either imo.  Plus how in the hell could they effectively fight in arctic conditions like that?  This however doesn't mean I won't be looking for a sexy mod.  I am a guy after all.      Oh and Zebrafox there are examples of half naked men in popular fantasy settings.  Beast master and Conan the barbarian are two examples.

September 4, 2010 5:04:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Someone needs one of those official Stardock badges to show up under their name.

Quoting SD_Zebrafox,
...Unless brad tells me to. In which case I will be. But I will be frowning as I do it, and cursing you all! 

How much would it take to get Brad to do that? 

How about making it available as a DLC?

September 4, 2010 5:23:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Empyrean,
Putting boobs on a breastplate is unnecessary since you can strap them down pretty well, and women certainly would do that before fighting.  Adding boobs to armor adds weight and deflects blows towards the sternum.

It's a bad idea.  Realistic armor for women looks like armor for men.  If you want something sexy, well, you're on the Internet.  Go find it.

Heh ... honestly I kind of agree with this.

But yea, I guess it'd be nice to have sexy outfits for women soldiers if you don't want to be wearing armor (or at least, not very good armor)

September 4, 2010 5:27:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Callesen58,

Quoting Empyrean, reply 38Klingon with Asperger's.

Should I, as an Asperger, feel offended by this?

If you want autists to play that are already hard core gamers, not offending them wouldn't hurt, and don't call them 'Klingons'.

I'm actually just surprised that it took a whole page for someone to complain about that.  It was 50/50 on whether someone would claim to be offended as a Klingon or an Austistic, so congratulations: you beat the Klingons.

September 4, 2010 5:58:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LOL!!!!  i find myself curiously interested in this thread and yet at the same time find it rediculous that a tpoic like this has 67 posts...whoops 68 now

September 4, 2010 6:01:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This type of thing bugs me too. It's just silly. Caster armor can look sexy because caster armor isn't really armor. It's clothes.

But plate? If you're a front line melee unit who is going to get pounded, you probably want armor that actually functions like armor. You can make armor that both looks good AND looks like something that could plausably work. So no chainmail bikinis. Please.

September 4, 2010 6:20:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,
This type of thing bugs me too. It's just silly. Caster armor can look sexy because caster armor isn't really armor. It's clothes.

But plate? If you're a front line melee unit who is going to get pounded, you probably want armor that actually functions like armor. You can make armor that both looks good AND looks like something that could plausably work. So no chainmail bikinis. Please.

I agree, chainmail bikinis would be rediculous in the game.  Now, if I could talk my wife into wearing one in RL, that would be awesome!!!

September 4, 2010 6:28:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I couldn't care less if the armour is realistic* or not. I certainly don't dislike armours that mark the feminine curves, like that of Arielle (the Capitar female warrior). I dislike "armours" that are nothing but a excuse to "sell more" and are not worthy the material they are made of. I also dislike "cows" but I don't think we will be seeing them here, mods or not.

All that said, I still like O-Ushi...

*from a functionality point of view. Enchanted Glass armours are fine to me

September 4, 2010 6:28:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Argh. Look at what the Japanese gaming industry has done to the world.

September 4, 2010 6:52:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AlixeniusTheGreat,
Argh. Look at what the Japanese gaming industry has done to the world.
Legend of the Five Rings, by Alderac. Which also uses images like:

or

September 4, 2010 7:09:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Alright, putting it better would be saying look at what the Japanese anime culture has done to the gaming industry, which was what I attempting to say.

September 4, 2010 7:26:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is this a good time to point out that the existing male plate armour looks absurdly unrealistic as things already stand?

SD has never marketed the game as a realistic medieval wargame. What I want is for my units to look cool. Beyond that I want to have varying styles of armour so that my army is not just one homogenous entity.

I don't want nude characters or bikinis. You can have topless 6-pack men - but not women. So fortunately for SD_Zebrafox and anyone who prefers looking at men, it has happened. Ever. Already.

I'm talking about plate armour, and anyone that has ever seen much of it can tell you that historically there is a ton of evidence for decoration and embellishment. Either to enhance the prestige of the wearer or to give a more imposing appearance. Japanese armour is a good example of this actually, so is Roman armour.

There is nothing wrong with the shape of a woman's body! This forum seems to have an unnatural number of 13 year old sheltered-youth christian boys who are afraid to get their wrist slapped and a lecture on onanism when mommy catches them playing dirty games.

I'm sure this has all started due to that elf queen from Aow2:SM (Julia?) who had the hypnotic swirly nipples. I agree that was stupid.

PS: I really don't think that L5R was much influenced by anime, but if you just don't like the style then fair enough. It's not the Japanese's fault though.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: