OK.. It's time guys....

By on September 1, 2010 1:45:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

StAtiC--9

Join Date 08/2009

So, I am loving this game. I abhor the ill reviews that it's garnished thus far, but one glaring fact remains; multiplayer was promised. So... WTF? It's time Stardock. Despite all the hate that has come your way, I don't think that it's deserved. As far as I'm concerned, you've delivered a very solid fantasy TBS game, and frankly, it's all that I've expected/waited for. But, you did advertise that it would be multiplayer... on your box even. It's been more than a week, and though I'm glad to be playing the game, it's not what you promised. THERE IS NO MULTIPLAYER. Perhaps you should have stated, instead of "Compete against up to 16 human or computer players locally or online." on your box, you should have said "IN THE FUTURE YOU'LL BE ABLE TO compete against up to 16 human or computer players locally or online." Don't get me wrong, my love for this game is not waning in the least, but it's time for me to throw down against my friends... which truthfully, is why I bought three copies and gave them away to my friends. It's time. Launch it. We all love it, and thus far have been mighty forgiving, taking into account the trials and tribulations you have all suffered with broken street dates and horrible reviews. But now, we want to play against each other. Please deliver.

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 1, 2010 1:53:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I understand Static.  None of my friends would get this mostly because of the no MP so far.  But, I hear they are taking extra care to make a good MP launch, and, to make sure updates/improvements they add to the game are included in the MP aspects too.  So I don't think it will take too long for it to start.  I'm on pins & needles to see how it works "after" MP is available, but not too much in a hurry to have it start.

September 1, 2010 3:03:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad's on vacation for a week, and the "major" list of fixes is pretty big.  it's gonna be a while.  Rushing is what got them into their current mess, rushing again and putting out incomplete MP is going to do more harm then holding it back until it's ready.  It'll be worth the wait.

September 1, 2010 5:55:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's the thing:  I think (and read on a couple) that the reviewers are waiting a bit to put up their reveiws of "EL"; probably for a patch or two, and also for MP to be started so they can include that in the reveiw also (and frakly, to give SD a chance for a quick hail-marry patch because they like the company).  I doubt they will wait too long waiting for MP to come online, and if they are forced to review a game with "16 player MP" on the box that has no MP, yikes , get ready for some 2.5 stars or 45% ratings. 

September 1, 2010 6:10:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think we are all waiting for a patch anyway.

September 1, 2010 6:36:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As I understand it the MP enabling patch has been put back to next week as the priority was to first resolve these performance and other issues which would impact both MP and SP play.

September 1, 2010 7:23:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bummer so no 4 day weekend of multiplayer for me...  

Does that mean we'll instead have at least a nice holiday weekend of a decently performing game?

September 1, 2010 7:31:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
As I understand it the MP enabling patch has been put back to next week as the priority was to first resolve these performance and other issues which would impact both MP and SP play.

This is a good decision.

September 1, 2010 8:08:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Sigh.

September 1, 2010 8:31:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,

Quoting Neil Banfield,
reply 5

Sigh.

I know it hurts if you want MP, but dont you think it is better to get the basics done before? They can only do so much in the short time.

September 1, 2010 8:50:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

I know it hurts if you want MP, but dont you think it is better to get the basics done before? They can only do so much in the short time.

It's pretty frustrating to have a box listed feature disabled until god knows when, especially when I wanted to play it with friends. Though at this point they've largely given up and we're just going to play Civ 5 instead, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

(And to avoid starting yet another "the game wasn't ready for launch" threads, that's all I'll say.)

September 1, 2010 11:08:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tridus,

Quoting OsirisDawn, reply 9
It's pretty frustrating to have a box listed feature disabled until god knows when, especially when I wanted to play it with friends. Though at this point they've largely given up and we're just going to play Civ 5 instead, so I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

(And to avoid starting yet another "the game wasn't ready for launch" threads, that's all I'll say.)

One thing that would help with MP, is that you could bypass the AI and have a versus game. I'm not super keen on those, and rather have coop games versus the AI. But I mean this could be extremely enjoyable. Maybe I'm one of the lucky people who isn't encountering this horrible performance issues.

Also, I took 2 weeks off work for the MP release that was supposed to happen this week.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooOOooooo...

September 1, 2010 11:10:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AI is good, and the game is quite good too, but all games look alike even with random maps. That's why I'd like to play it MP ! Also, my father, and probably my brother in law, sister and mother, would buy it if we could play it all together. But we're also planing to play Civ 5 together so, if MP doesn't come out before civ 5 ... I'm affraid nobody else here will buy the game and I'll be bound to play it alone T-T (or with strangers, which I don't really like)

September 1, 2010 4:24:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nedryel,
AI is good,

Basing myself on more and more posters, it appears the AI dosen't try to "win" the game. It will expand like wild fire, start producing like mad, then start having wandering stacks in their land.

I hope this is a rare occurrence, or that the patch will address a bit of the AI's disinterest in winning the game. Imagine playing chess against an AI that just likes moving it's pieces around. Would be sad

September 1, 2010 6:23:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually I dunno if it's trying to win the game or not, but the stacks thing is quite true It's simple yet efficient against players who don't make stacks of armies and don't summon ... Diplomacy is not very intersting though, and the AI doesn't calculate the level of threat very well (it doesn't seem to know a channeler is more dangerous than he's mere combat stats ). It may not be perfect, still I wouldn't call it bad

September 2, 2010 3:26:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, co-op would be the perfect way to test the MP game I'd think.  I'm really disapointed (and shocked) that MP was not there on install, but, I'm glad if they are doing lots of the improvements/changes/fixes on their "Big Issues" list first, to get them ready for MP. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time: