Age of Wonders race mod

By on August 30, 2010 12:17:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Magog_AoW

Join Date 09/2009
+29

I made new races that resembles the ones in AoW1. Or to be precise, new factions...

Download here: www.shell.linux.se/dsk2293/other/ewom/Magogs_AoW_Races_for_Ewom_0.12.zip

And put the unpacked files in your My docs/my game/elemental/race directory.

Feedback is welcome.

Changes in 0.12:
* Added race descriptions from AoW
* Gave races proper terrains (Snow for Frostlings, Desert for Azracs, Fallen for other evil and Grass for Good races.)

Todo:
* Rebalance race traits
* Create new sovereigns based on wizards from AoW2/SM
* Create new buildings for each race.

Previews:

I'm currently working on Azrac buildings:

Locked Post 27 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Raven X
August 30, 2010 1:59:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tried it out and 'fraid I didn't like it. Your choices seem a bit random to tell the truth, and a bit overpowered. I don't remember the AoW races the way you've recreated them here. You might be better off creating entirely new custom races without any "baggage" so to speak. Especially since the models and textures are so limited at the moment.

August 30, 2010 7:50:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow an AOWer!

So happy to see that!

We need to get as many of the old AOWers here as we can

The Stranger, rogerRabid, swolte, anychance they are around?

I'd love to work on a mod with you guys!

Cheers,

Stillborn

August 30, 2010 7:55:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol I've created AoW oriented factions with a whole soggin backstory that involves "The Titans" being God Like wizards who ruled over countless worlds from The Shadow Realm after the death of the Hive Mind. I even created an Empire of Mab ruled by Mother Mab who's got a legion of potion addicted Ironeers and apparently created the Dark Spawn out of goblins so that she'd have servants immune to Shadow Sickness.

August 30, 2010 8:28:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wauthan,
Tried it out and 'fraid I didn't like it. Your choices seem a bit random to tell the truth, and a bit overpowered. I don't remember the AoW races the way you've recreated them here. You might be better off creating entirely new custom races without any "baggage" so to speak. Especially since the models and textures are so limited at the moment.

Thank you for trying it out!!

This is version 0.1, I made it much for my own enjoyment because the Elemental factions are so incredibly boring. Yes, I need to do some more work... I will continue to improve balance and looks, and I assume more tools and unit models will be available in the future.

For example you can't change the scale of units right now, which makes it hard to create proper halflings, dwarfs and goblins...

Thanks for feedback!

Quoting JSmB,
Wow an AOWer!

So happy to see that!

We need to get as many of the old AOWers here as we can

The Stranger, rogerRabid, swolte, anychance they are around?

I'd love to work on a mod with you guys!

Cheers,

Stillborn

They are still around at the AoW forums, some of them are lurking these forums too... I would say that in general, the AoW community (myself included) is not very impressed with Elemental at the moment. But who knows, if this game gets properly patched and more mod tools become available there might be more interest.

August 30, 2010 9:11:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will be watching this with anticipation.

August 31, 2010 8:30:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm still playing AOW1 and AOW:SM  (Lets face it AOW2 just had to many problems)  as well as playing Elemental.

I am still hoping that Elemental will replace AOW:SM as my main fantasy TBS. I think it will be many months before it gets to that point but the game is still fun to play. And I like the fact that it is easier to mod than AOW:SM.

August 31, 2010 8:36:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it intentional that the Azracs have no special abilities?

(I'm one of the AoWers unimpressed with Elemental)

August 31, 2010 9:08:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope Stardock will give us better mod tools, allowing us to design factions on a more personal level including tech trees, terrain type, more control over leader and faction color, capital name, selectable music themes, ect. I know you can mod all that manually from the XML folders but it's really arbitrary that we even have to considering how easily most of these options could be added to the editor.

August 31, 2010 1:49:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting _PawelS_,

No...

I'll fix it. Just have to get rid of an annoying jetlag.

August 31, 2010 5:31:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I played MoM, AoW, and AoW2 and now Elemental.  Each of these games has different strenghts and weaknesses.  Elemental's mod support is by far the best.  From what I understand, adding just about whatever ou want is pretty much on the table.  And that's awesome.

August 31, 2010 5:40:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PawelS, now thats a name I didnt expect to see in a while.

I think I used a tool you made to mod units in aowsm, good to see you here.

I have to agree I really want to love this game, but it has so many issues it makes it hard.

That said, with the right mod, I wouldn't care how buggy it is.

If you guys are lurking around, then I have hope

You guys need a hand?

Cheers,

Stillborn

P.S. is Kaskoid still alive?

August 31, 2010 5:48:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,

Quoting _PawelS_, reply 7

No...

When you have some time, I think you should also create custom sovereigns (AoWSM wizards) and make them the leaders of these custom factions (not sure who should lead the Lizardmen). I believe such things can be done by XML editing. Then we'll be able to play Elemental with some more AoW feeling in it. In a future version they should have different tech trees that enable them to build their special units (I'd love to see the Air Galley in Elemental, for example), but this is lots of work that needs new unit models, and would change this small addition into a full-blown AoW mod. Maybe I can help you with that (not with models), but I doubt if I'll be interested in Elemental enough to begin modding it seriously, looks like Civ5 will be much better, and probably I'll be making a fantasy mod (with AoW elements) for it.

August 31, 2010 6:02:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been experimenting a little with making the races more unique. If you are wanting to limit certain aspects for this mod you can specify a Race prerequisite to control who gets tech, item, units, building etc.

I just posted about it here... http://forums.elementalgame.com/394562

September 1, 2010 1:40:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting _PawelS_,

Quoting Magog_AoW, reply 9

No...

When you have some time, I think you should also create custom sovereigns (AoWSM wizards) and make them the leaders of these custom factions (not sure who should lead the Lizardmen). I believe such things can be done by XML editing. Then we'll be able to play Elemental with some more AoW feeling in it. In a future version they should have different tech trees that enable them to build their special units (I'd love to see the Air Galley in Elemental, for example), but this is lots of work that needs new unit models, and would change this small addition into a full-blown AoW mod. Maybe I can help you with that (not with models), but I doubt if I'll be interested in Elemental enough to begin modding it seriously, looks like Civ5 will be much better, and probably I'll be making a fantasy mod (with AoW elements) for it.

Fantasy civ5 would be very interesting...

September 1, 2010 4:15:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,

I think the Fall from Heaven guys are already working on it.

September 1, 2010 12:11:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Das123,

Quoting Magog_AoW, reply 14

I think the Fall from Heaven guys are already working on it.

I heard they were working on a standalone game, I think it has a chance to be better than Elemental...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361750

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361727

I like Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy, the combat in a fantasy Civ5 mod would be similar to these games.

September 1, 2010 2:09:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting _PawelS_,

I heard they were working on a standalone game, I think it has a chance to be better than Elemental...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361750

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361727

I like Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy, the combat in a fantasy Civ5 mod would be similar to these games.

Interesting.

I was basing my comment on an interview given by Soren Johnson from Civ5 and Derek Paxton from FFH2, but they didn't actually say anything concrete. http://threemovesahead.libsyn.com/episode_76_modding

I agree, Civ5 is looking like Elven Legacy with a random map generator. I am really looking forward to this game!

September 1, 2010 2:28:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Das123,
I agree, Civ5 is looking like Elven Legacy with a random map generator. I am really looking forward to this game!

It's not just that, it has the city and civilization management features that are absent in FW & EL. AFAIK it's the first game that combines Civilization elements with Panzer General-like combat.

September 1, 2010 5:45:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting _PawelS_,

Quoting Magog_AoW,
reply 9

No...

Problem with CIV5 is that they have no tactical battles. And because of this I will stick to elemental and AOW:SM.  What made AOW so much fun for me was the TB. I can see the potential in elemental to surpass AOW:SM and when it does it will be a truly fantastic game. Of coarse right now it is not quite there yet. I do how to see some Elemental Pawels mods once Elemental is more 'complete' so to speak.

September 1, 2010 5:54:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's true that Civ5 doesn't have tactical battles, but I think the combat will be much more interesting than in the previous Civ games because of the 1 unit per hex rule - no more stacks of doom, and the terrain will be more important in warfare. I think the entire map will work as something like one big tactical combat. I love AoWSM, but sometimes it's good to play other games to "extend your horizons".

Seems we're getting offtopic here, sorry for hijacking the thread 

September 1, 2010 6:00:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting _PawelS_,
It's true that Civ5 doesn't have tactical battles, but I think the combat will be much more interesting than in the previous Civ games because of the 1 unit per hex rule - no more stacks of doom, and the terrain will be more important in warfare. I think the entire map will work as something like one big tactical combat. I love AoWSM, but sometimes it's good to play other games to "extend your horizons".

Seems we're getting offtopic here, sorry for hijacking the thread 

Well i just went to the CIV V site and looked at Screen shots and videos. I am going to have to agree with you it does appear that it will be a very good game with these features. I just assumed that it was going to be a 'prettier' CIV 4.

Damn you PawelS you going to make me buy CIV V ....

September 1, 2010 7:50:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I want an Undead Race lol

September 1, 2010 9:32:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting _PawelS_,

When you have some time, I think you should also create custom sovereigns (AoWSM wizards) and make them the leaders of these custom factions (not sure who should lead the Lizardmen).

Someone say Lizardmen?

We're also working on releasing the Draconians from the DL Mod as a stand alone addable Race to Elemental but we're waiting on the plugins form Stardock before we can add. The animations are being worked on right now by Civfreak and I'm in the process of skinning the model. If SD gets us the plugins or converters so we can get the models from Blender into the game we could have them up in less than a week probably. Then you'd have a real Lizardman faction. Until then though, I hope my skin helps at least a little.

Nice work on the custom factions here. Keep it up. I played the hell out of AoW and I would love to see a Elemental mod of it.

September 4, 2010 8:37:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New version 0.12 is up. Download link in main post.

Changes in 0.12:
* Added race descriptions from AoW
* Gave races proper terrains (Snow for Frostlings, Desert for Azracs, Fallen for other evil and Grass for Good races.)

Todo:
* Rebalance race traits
* Create new sovereigns based on wizards from AoW2/SM

Not sure I want to create new AoW-based sovereigns right now since it seems Brad is going to change how spellbooks work. I don't want to do a lot of work twice...

September 14, 2010 4:01:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've started to create new buildings for the Azracs. Here's a preview:

If anyone wants to help with other races, that would be cool. There are a lot of buildings that needs to be created...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000218   Page Render Time: