[Mod] Updated Weapon Mod 0.5

By on August 29, 2010 9:25:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

kenata

Join Date 02/2006
+25

I have been working on this mod for a couple of days now, and while it is unfinished, I would like to start getting feedback on the current state, which is mostly the kingdoms weapons as I have been modifying the weapons in the order they are found in coreweapons.xml

The Mod changes the following weapons to have different bonuses based on the weapon. Some weapons have combat abilities and others have unit modifiers. The full list is as follows:
1) GnarledClub - Smash
2) Staff - Movement bonus
3) War Staff - Movement bonus/Combat Movement bonus
4) WarHammer - Disorient
5) BattleHammer - Power Smash
6) LordHammer - Power Smash + Disorient
7) Mace
8) Axe - Fierce Strike (huge dmg, no counter attack for attacker)
9) BattleAxe - Bleeding Strike (bonus damage + DOT)
10) Oak Spear - Bleed (DOT)
11) Boar Spear - Spear Wall (defense bonus/counter attack bonus)
12) Cedar Shortbow - Rooting Shot (Decreased move rate)
13) Cedar Longbow - Sniper Strike ( Bonus dmg)
14) Dagger - Backstab
15) Short Sword - Speed bonus/counterattack bonus
16) Broadsword - Berserker Stance
17) Longsword - Dodge Bonus

To install, add the file to your my  documents\my games\elemental\items. Make sure you have use mods selected and start a new game with the mod loaded.

I have uploaded the mod to here. Please post all feedback

Locked Post 20 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
midnighthike
August 29, 2010 9:37:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Kenata

August 30, 2010 5:31:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool, I'm gonna have to check this out tomorrow and give you some feedback. Looks good though!

August 30, 2010 6:07:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

does the ai use these features?

August 31, 2010 2:03:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool. This would give the units some unique abilities... Will test it out.

August 31, 2010 3:28:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Short swords are insanely powerful on casters.  A +2 combat speed is way too much!

August 31, 2010 7:40:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

deposit files reports that all download slots to australia are in use. WTF

harpo

August 31, 2010 9:02:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried to balance the weapons so that any weapon was usable throughout the game if necessary. Is the short sword too powerful for the entire game or just at a certain point? Suggestions?

September 1, 2010 12:20:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

something i noticed and i dont know if you could workaround this, some weapons give essence.

then when you level up you can assign more essence. so basically its "imbue hero" without losing anything.

just a thought.

September 1, 2010 12:35:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good mod but is there any way to implement "Tactical Essence" instead of normal essence?

September 1, 2010 1:05:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem with the short sword is that it is overpowered not due to its abilities in melee, but because of how many spells per round it allows a mage to cast.

September 1, 2010 2:18:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will attempt to address the essence problem as that was not intended.

Quoting hairrorist,
The problem with the short sword is that it is overpowered not due to its abilities in melee, but because of how many spells per round it allows a mage to cast.

Do you think it should be +1 instead of +2? I had actually intended the short sword to help out mages in this way, but I do you think it is too powerful?

Just a note, I am going to be working on the mod and hopefully will have 0.6, done by the end of the weekend.

September 1, 2010 11:23:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have it changed to 1 in mine... I guess its your call.  My sovereign has 2 base + 1 horse + 1 from magic items, and then +2 from a shortsword... thats a lot of infernos on round one.

September 2, 2010 12:03:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah its alot but how many infernos does it take to kill 3 companies of longbowmen which will snipe you on their turn?

September 2, 2010 12:12:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For 3 companies of Longbowmen, I prefer to use Freeze Enemies and get my men to whack them with big sticks.

September 2, 2010 12:29:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So does the AI use this?

September 2, 2010 9:57:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was thinking of doing something like this. One idea I had was adding a strength modifier to some weapon types and lowering their base damage. Making that weapon group better with items that add attack (as the extra base str should increase the extra attack).

As for items to help mages Wisdom used to decrease the casting cost but altering the stat does nothing as it is fixed at a cost of 2 now. The only safe attributes to modify I can see are UnitStat_TacticalManaRegen and UnitStat_Intelligence. To which I was thinking of adding in some new staffs unlocked through the magic research that add differing amounts to both.

It may also be possible to create staffs that fire magic bolts by adding in <TacticalRange>8</TacticalRange> and creating new effects for it. However I think the damage will still be based of strength.

I was also thinking of adding negative Intelligence and strength modifiers to heavier armours which would make using them more of a choice of extra defense or higher attack. I think they should also get a dodge bonus to simulate the heavier armour deflecting blows out right (like shields). Which may go some what towards how things are stacked in favor of the attack at the moment.  

September 2, 2010 11:13:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For a apear: a short range "throw spear" spell so a normally melee-only unit could moonlight as a ranged one.

Tower shield: Shield wall.  Increase defense, reduce offense

Smaller shield(s): Shield Bash.  Small chance to trip/stun opponent.

Warg: Maul (seize 'em!)

Horse: Cavalry charge. I'll be damned if I can figure out a way to make it useful but it sure sounds cool. The best implementation of a charge I have seen in Shadow of the Horned Rat.  A cavalry unit had to go in a straight line for several squares before it became "a charge".

Elemental: To move up to the enemy, stop, and then click "charge" would be dumb.
You can't just make it expensive "so the unit needs full movement points" because even 0,1 points are enough to activate any ability at all.

The effect of a charge would be easier to come up with. Something to reduce retaliation/counterattack, possibly stun the opponent or reduce morale.

I'm afraid that any "cool" way to make it work would have to wait until things can get scripted properly.
Then cavalry units could become very cool but they would need maneuvering space to line up their charges...

September 2, 2010 11:46:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm afraid that any "cool" way to make it work would have to wait until things can get scripted properly.
Then cavalry units could become very cool but they would need maneuvering space to line up their charges...

It would be cooler if it has an animation of charging through the enemy (provided there is space behind them) and ended up behind the enemy lines..

September 2, 2010 1:13:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Robert Hentschke,
For a apear: a short range "throw spear" spell so a normally melee-only unit could moonlight as a ranged one.

Tower shield: Shield wall.  Increase defense, reduce offense

Smaller shield(s): Shield Bash.  Small chance to trip/stun opponent.

I thought about modifying the shield to have special abilities. However, doing so currently, I would have to give the abilities but no essence as units who already have special abilities from the weapons could then cast their weapon special abilities multiple times. This would result in a unit using say the short sword which does not give mana being unable to even use his shield bash or shield wall. The same thing goes for the wargs and horses. Again though, these are things in the current version, and my desire is to be able to add cool downs for the abilities instead of mana usage.

September 2, 2010 2:10:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I never worry about tossing out an idea even though I have no idea if it's at all possible to implement it right now.

When scripting/modding X3 (over there I'm Gazz), I almost always found a way to implement "stuff" - if not literally then in spirit.
And as long as it looks like it works it doesn't matter if it's possible that it works within the game engine.
Games are all about creating an illusion and mods are no different.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: