[eMOD] Bugfix Mod 1.7 for Elemental 1.06

By on August 29, 2010 1:00:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall

Join Date 07/2008
+436

I'm deleting this post since it's become obvious that only pirates are downloading it.

For legit users, update your game and find the appropriate version here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/395013

Locked Post 120 Replies +14
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 2, 2010 2:26:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GaelicVigil,
What I'd like to know is if this mod "patch" will become obsolete when the official patch is released later today.  I mean, forgive me if I come off as rude, but doesn't this sort seem a little pointless?  If Stardock is releasing at least one new patch every week, at best, these patches will be useless in a very short amount of times and, at worst, may conflict with official patches and just screw things up.

Secondly, what I have feared is coming true.  Modders are spending their time and effort fixing bugs instead of creating new game content.  In my opinion, it seems like a better idea for modders to spend their time enhancing the game content (adding maps, units, races, etc) rather than doing the work that Stardock is already being paid to do.

This is most certainly not a "useless" mod. First of all, many VERY popular games have their own "player patches" including Oblivion and Fallout 3. People have spent years fixing both minor and major bugs which may or may not be fixed by an update. Secondly, we don't even know if Stardock is going to fix this stuff to begin with. Sure, it's nice to think they will but it's likely they'll miss many of these issues, ESPECIALLY when everyone is complaining about how patches ruin their savegames (which you SHOULD expect to happen when updating). I'm willing to be that Stardock is going to be more careful and more cautious about how they update now. Third, he's been doing this bugfix mod to learn how to mod... what more can you ask for? It's a great way to learn and produce something very productive. Lastly, where do you draw the line is to what is or isn't a "enhancing" mod? Seems rather gray to me.

Honestly, and sorry if this sounds rude, but I'm sick of seeing these kinds of posts regarding modding because I'm seeing more then enough of them. If they continue then the Elemental modding community will likely be stifled before it can really be explored, discovered, and populated with talented people. Elemental modding needs more positive feedback, support, and more thanks. For example, I got more "karma" from my "Wanted: New Advisor" thread then I got from all my mods combined, that ain't right. It's funny but not right...

Anyways, sorry to rant here but I do think this topic needs some understanding and I'm just disappointed in what GaelicVigil said.

September 2, 2010 3:09:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting James009D,

Quoting GaelicVigil, reply 97What I'd like to know is if this mod "patch" will become obsolete when the official patch is released later today.  I mean, forgive me if I come off as rude, but doesn't this sort seem a little pointless?  If Stardock is releasing at least one new patch every week, at best, these patches will be useless in a very short amount of times and, at worst, may conflict with official patches and just screw things up.

Secondly, what I have feared is coming true.  Modders are spending their time and effort fixing bugs instead of creating new game content.  In my opinion, it seems like a better idea for modders to spend their time enhancing the game content (adding maps, units, races, etc) rather than doing the work that Stardock is already being paid to do.

This is most certainly not a "useless" mod. First of all, many VERY popular games have their own "player patches" including Oblivion and Fallout 3. People have spent years fixing both minor and major bugs which may or may not be fixed by an update. Secondly, we don't even know if Stardock is going to fix this stuff to begin with. Sure, it's nice to think they will but it's likely they'll miss many of these issues, ESPECIALLY when everyone is complaining about how patches ruin their savegames (which you SHOULD expect to happen when updating). I'm willing to be that Stardock is going to be more careful and more cautious about how they update now. Third, he's been doing this bugfix mod to learn how to mod... what more can you ask for? It's a great way to learn and produce something very productive. Lastly, where do you draw the line is to what is or isn't a "enhancing" mod? Seems rather gray to me.

Honestly, and sorry if this sounds rude, but I'm sick of seeing these kinds of posts regarding modding because I'm seeing more then enough of them. If they continue then the Elemental modding community will likely be stifled before it can really be explored, discovered, and populated with talented people. Elemental modding needs more positive feedback, support, and more thanks. For example, I got more "karma" from my "Wanted: New Advisor" thread then I got from all my mods combined, that ain't right. It's funny but not right...

Anyways, sorry to rant here but I do think this topic needs some understanding and I'm just disappointed in what GaelicVigil said.

I'm sorry about what I said and that I have made you and several others disappointed in my actions.  I'll try to say something positive instead of just trolling.

HeavenFall, this sounds like a really awesome idea, I wish you great success.  I know that it will improve the game greatly and I hope you come out with a lot more cool stuff in the future.

I also apologize to Stardock for being negative, I realize I should be more positive.  Stardock has been a really great developer in the past and I'm sure that they will make this game even better.  Thank you.

September 2, 2010 3:18:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry if that came out like it was all directed at you, GaelicVigil. It really wasn't and was more of one of those spontaneous rants that just come up. Apologies, my friend. I just want the modding in Elemental to accomplish the most it can.

September 2, 2010 4:04:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For example, I got more "karma" from my "Wanted: New Advisor" thread then I got from all my mods combined, that ain't right. It's funny but not right...

In many games, "mods" are automatically put on the same level as trainers, money cheats, teleport hacks, and aimbots.

Yes, it's stupid. While there certainly are mods that make the game easier in some way or another, most aim to make the game more varied or balanced. Often both.

But try to get that into the heads of players who feel "tainted" just for clicking on the mod forum link. =P

September 2, 2010 4:17:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes... we all have to stop cramming our mods down everyone's throats!

September 2, 2010 4:47:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting James009D,
Honestly, and sorry if this sounds rude, but I'm sick of seeing these kinds of posts regarding modding because I'm seeing more then enough of them. If they continue then the Elemental modding community will likely be stifled before it can really be explored, discovered, and populated with talented people. Elemental modding needs more positive feedback, support, and more thanks..

Thank you for your time and effort.

Now can I have moar mods please?

To add to your statement, the mod community needs more information on the xml schema, what values represent, etc.  It's great that the game supports mods but it's frustrating having to reverse engineer how it all works.

September 2, 2010 4:47:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You feel weary.

Your limbs are heavy.

You can only hear my voice.

When I snap my fingers you will wake up and download and install the Bugfix Mod.

*snap*

September 2, 2010 4:49:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GaelicVigil,

personally, im redoing thing stardock already did with the main purpose of learning to use the tools they provided to us and to understand what i can or can't do, after that i may try to create new things

keep in mind that the game is out since less than 2 week, and the community is still trying to figure out the possibility of the game, after that im sure we will see alot of new content

September 2, 2010 8:10:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't downloaded the mod myself to check, but since it isn't mentioned...did you fix Confusion?  It multiplies attack by -0.5 instead of 0.5, with obvious results.

September 2, 2010 8:14:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm really happy to see a community bug fix mod out already - thank you.  My only other comment is that I'd hope this mod would simply be bugfixes and not other changes so that it might see easier incorporation into the game by SD.  Perhaps 1 mod that handles bugfixes, another that represents your interpretations on what you want adjusted?  Anyway, thanks for your hard work!

September 2, 2010 8:36:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@DragonRider862 I remember that bug, but I don't remember fixing it, but I remember testing if it was still bugged, and it worked sometimes and sometimes not. I think I just forgot about it eventually.

@OMG_pacov I think that's what I did. Sometimes some things could not be done, so I had to do other things. Sometimes, some things were missing where they obviously shouldn't have been. Sometimes, some things were so far out of balance that the only logical conclusion was that they were not balanced at all - there I supplied a reasonable value. Do YOU think a level 3 spell that cost 2 mana and doubled your defense and stacked with itself (300-600-1200-1400-2800 defense) was reasonable? Or that a 12-man unit with the best gear in the game and every bell on top should be trained in 1 turn?

Stardock will never use my files, so there's nothing to worry about there. However, if you feel that a particular mod was doing some balancing that it shouldn't be doing, then by all means, don't use it. That's why it's modular, so you don't have to use all of them. And if you feel that something in particular does not belong in a bugfix mod, then be specific with what you mean.

The only non-module mod was the spells in the last release, and for that I would simply dare you to find one spell that was better in vanilla 1.06 than it was in the bugfix mod.

September 2, 2010 9:24:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stardock will never use my files

Curious - why would you say that?

September 2, 2010 9:32:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Because anything I can fix, they can fix in one tenth of the time. Furthermore, using my files would just create even more extra work, as these files are intended to modify, while their files are intended to be core files (for example, my buildings are nothing like what their buildings are).

September 3, 2010 12:39:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyway, thank you for that interim patch.. It help us play better while the official patch was being worked on. Better than wait and do nothing at all.

September 3, 2010 2:15:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So... what's left unfixed since 1.07 patch?

September 3, 2010 4:27:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't see anything about shards not working in tactical combat, so that one is probably still unfixed at least.

September 3, 2010 4:44:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Sometimes, some things were so far out of balance that the only logical conclusion was that they were not balanced at all - there I supplied a reasonable value. Do YOU think a level 3 spell that cost 2 mana and doubled your defense and stacked with itself (300-600-1200-1400-2800 defense) was reasonable? Or that a 12-man unit with the best gear in the game and every bell on top should be trained in 1 turn?

The problem is not so much that there are unbalanced features. It's that the AI does not intentionally exploit them. If the AI army came up with one fighting unit and 3 casters to buff it to unbeatable stats, I betcha people would be screaming to balance that. =P

September 3, 2010 2:41:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Because anything I can fix, they can fix in one tenth of the time. Furthermore, using my files would just create even more extra work, as these files are intended to modify, while their files are intended to be core files (for example, my buildings are nothing like what their buildings are).

Righto - I'm just referring to your actual coding fixes... I'd think that if an issue is identified and you provide the code to fix it, it might be a good place for SDer's to look.  Anyway, I'm going to start using your mod today - thanks again for taking the time!

September 3, 2010 3:44:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Noobish question, but I need to ask - how exactly do I know that I have this installed correctly?  Anyway to confirm that these changes are loaded?

I followed the instructions in the op re: how to find the correct location.  I actually had to create a Mods folder though.  I enabled mods in the in game options.  There's just nothing that I see telling me that my mods are loaded. 

Nevermind - searched through the entirety of this thread and found my answer.

September 3, 2010 3:51:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's no way to know besides actually witnessing if one of the changes has been applied.

For example, you could start a kingdom, and if it takes 10 turns to build the farm the mods are not applied.

Note that this mod is only for elemental 1.06. If you're running 1.07, look over in the other thread.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000593   Page Render Time: