[eMOD] Bugfix Mod 1.7 for Elemental 1.06

By on August 29, 2010 1:00:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall

Join Date 07/2008
+436

I'm deleting this post since it's become obvious that only pirates are downloading it.

For legit users, update your game and find the appropriate version here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/395013

Locked Post 120 Replies +14
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 31, 2010 8:28:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
1.7 uploaded

HF106_race_Umber.xml - Reduces strategic mana regen for the Umber faction from 50 to 1. Extra Note: How has NOONE noticed this before?

How did you change the umber mana regen from 50 to 1? Could that method be used to modify strategic mana regeneration for all factions (sovereigns and champions)? ie, can you set it to 2 or 3. Seems that would solve the mana regen complaints if it works.

August 31, 2010 8:43:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, that is easily possible. In fact I think someone already did it. Just make a new file with all the raceconfig factions and add   <A_ManaRegeneration>2</A_ManaRegeneration>. No idea how such a mod would work with the kingdom manaregen tower though.

August 31, 2010 9:00:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
1.7 uploaded

HF106_unittype_ChampionRoyalty.xml && HF106_abilitybonusChampionRoyalty.xml - Very rarely champions would appear with the Royalty background, that did nothing. Fix: These NPCs will now provide their stationed town with a +33% prestige modifier.

Brilliant!

You know, I'll be quite surprised if the next official patch has as many fixes as your mod has! Unless they make it the official patch, at any rate.

August 31, 2010 9:07:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does A_ManaRegeneration actually function? I thought it didn't work.

August 31, 2010 9:15:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For some reason I can't get this mod to work.  I have Enable Mods checked and everything is in the Mods folder but it won't detect any of the files.  Any suggestions?

August 31, 2010 9:19:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe it works. Setting it to 0 turns off mana regen for Umber, setting it to 1 gives me 1 per turn, setting it to 2 gives me 2.

I guess I should say that I believe that it doesn't actually supply a value that is equal to mana regen. Rather, it is a "faction globall" modifier, like all the other A_ stats. The standard manaregen is always 1. It just so happens that setting it to 1 means 100% of normal regen. That's why I'm not sure how a value that isn't 1 would work with a mana regen tower, or even tactical combat regen. Supposedly, a mana regen tower adds 2 to the stat, from 1 to 3 (hence it provides "2 extra mana per turn").

Or maybe I'm wrong, and A_Manaregen is exactly equal to mana regen.

Edit: Shadowshard, try turning "use localized data" on or off. And make sure you restart the client after you've put the files in the mod folder.

August 31, 2010 9:22:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually it looks like I'm just an idiot and can't read. Thanks though.

August 31, 2010 9:56:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's interesting about the \mods folder.  Like others have said, I don't have one either.  Not saying that it doesn't work nor do I doubt it.  It's just that in the debug.err file it doesn't include a message that it's looking there for files.  Although maybe it doesn't include that folder in the output since it's within the main application folder.  Just a curiosity is all.

So is the \mods folder where you can put your replacements for the core files?

DebugMessage:  Begin LoadCoreXMLData3
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Items\*.xml
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Race\*.xml
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Stamps\*.xml
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Tiles\*.xml
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Tiles\Shadows\*.xml
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\RaceTypes\*.xml
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Effects\*.xml
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Quests\*.xml
DebugMessage:  LoadCoreXMLData finished 3
Debug Message:  MapManager registered 32 files on disk
Debug Message:  MapManager registered 67 files on disk
Debug Message:  MapManager registered 14 files in the data zip
DebugMessage:  No files found matching mask C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Elemental\Maps\*.xml
Debug Message:  MapManager registered 0 files on disk
DebugMessage:  LoadCoreXMLData finished

August 31, 2010 10:02:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can't just put "replacement" files (if you just copy everything, you'll get a million bugs), but yes, that's where I put my mods.

August 31, 2010 11:00:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Replacements was a poor choice of words.

I was looking at the list of folders that are scanned and was thinking that if it's not one of those "types" (represented by the folder name) then it would go in the \mods folder.  However I was reading another thread that pretty much implies it's irrelevant which of those folders it's located in and/or the filename.  It's all about the root element used for that file.

Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around the details.

August 31, 2010 11:12:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

I wanted to learn the various intricacies of modding, so I set out to fix the bugs I could find in the game (that were modifiable). The idea is to create a mod that doesn't add anything, but still improves the quality of the current patch. It is not intended to unbalance things, but rather supply the intended function (as long as its reasonable!).

It is intended to be a "patch" between official patches.

I also wanted to provide the fixes in a modular format, so that if you don't like the fix I've done, you can just delete that particular file. I intend to add more fixes for problems as I find them - if you have your own fixes/problems with the game, please post a link and I will add/try to fix.

I have to say that I totally love your approach to this.  For one I think it was an excellent choice and the community can really benefit from your work (hopefully you can save Stardock some time as well).  Second I really like the naming convention and modularity you've implemented with. It's really an excellent approach.

Are you using any kind of source control for managing these?

August 31, 2010 11:49:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've just registered here to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Heavenfall.

You're an inspiration and an example to the comunity, and a reason for Stardock people to be ashamed for just existing.

I hope they learn from your passion and perception.

Best regards.

September 1, 2010 2:37:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
1.7 uploaded

HF106_race_Umber.xml - Reduces strategic mana regen for the Umber faction from 50 to 1. Extra Note: How has NOONE noticed this before?

One question:

I noticed some factions (Altar and Magnar) have <A_CoreManaRegeneration>50</A_CoreManaRegeneration>.

What exactly it does?

Maybe Umber is supposed to have that tag at 50, instead <A_ManaRegeneration>?

September 1, 2010 5:17:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As far as I know, it doesn't do anything.

@Gravedancer I'm not using anything except VIM.

September 1, 2010 10:56:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can we get the devs to include this in the next patch? Seems like its only bug fixes to the code.

September 1, 2010 11:05:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, that wouldn't work at all. This code is very different from a real patch. Besides, I'm sure most of these things are already fixed internally. It probably takes them one tenth of the time it takes me to fix something.

I'm just one of those people who hate having to look at OBVIOUS mistakes until the next patch comes out. Lucky for me, I could do something about a few of the bugs.

September 1, 2010 3:41:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I assume you are done updating this thread now. Assuming 1.7 hits tonight like Kryo said it should? (btw your spell damage fix rocks makes the game so much better to throw out 150pt morrigans touch's hehe)

September 1, 2010 3:48:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I ran out of bugs ti fix. If the next version requires any fixes I'll put them in a new thread. If any of the bugs from 1.06 remain in 1.07 I'll put updated versions in the new thread.

Remember to delete all the mod files after you've patched. Also, if you want to finish a game running with the bugfix mod, you should do so before you update to 1.07, because I cannot foresee if there will be problems from that.

September 1, 2010 7:19:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just chiming in to say you're my hero, this bugfix rocks, now hopefully tonight they'll fix the OOM errors and I'll actually be able to play...

September 2, 2010 4:26:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gravedancer,
Replacements was a poor choice of words.

I was looking at the list of folders that are scanned and was thinking that if it's not one of those "types" (represented by the folder name) then it would go in the \mods folder.  However I was reading another thread that pretty much implies it's irrelevant which of those folders it's located in and/or the filename.  It's all about the root element used for that file.

Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around the details.

Not quite true. for .xml files, best thing is to drop them all in the my documents folder, thats where they are read regardless what folder htey are in etc.
For other mods however, with .png's and such, you NEED a proper vanilla folder structure INSIDE the Mods folder..
For example to make my Softer Foliage mod work i had to place the .png and .dds files in Elemental\Mods\Gfx\HKB\Props
No other place worked, not straight in the Mods folder, not in any of the my documents folders..

So for that reason, i put all mods in the my documents folder, except for big ones that use other than xml files.

September 2, 2010 11:19:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wanted to point out that some of your fixes might be changing things that are intended, due to balancing between Kingdoms and Empires, e.g. building costs. Kingdoms and Empires differ in what they are best at.

OTOH, you could be correct, and those items are broken. I wish we could have a comment from a developer as to which items are working as intended.

I guess we'll find out when patch 1.07 is released.

September 2, 2010 11:38:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What I'd like to know is if this mod "patch" will become obsolete when the official patch is released later today.  I mean, forgive me if I come off as rude, but doesn't this sort seem a little pointless?  If Stardock is releasing at least one new patch every week, at best, these patches will be useless in a very short amount of times and, at worst, may conflict with official patches and just screw things up.

Secondly, what I have feared is coming true.  Modders are spending their time and effort fixing bugs instead of creating new game content.  In my opinion, it seems like a better idea for modders to spend their time enhancing the game content (adding maps, units, races, etc) rather than doing the work that Stardock is already being paid to do.

September 2, 2010 11:45:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GaelicVigil,
What I'd like to know is if this mod "patch" will become obsolete when the official patch is released later today.  I mean, forgive me if I come off as rude, but doesn't this sort seem a little pointless?  If Stardock is releasing at least one new patch every week, at best, these patches will be useless in a very short amount of times and, at worst, may conflict with official patches and just screw things up.

Secondly, what I have feared is coming true.  Modders are spending their time and effort fixing bugs instead of creating new game content.  In my opinion, it seems like a better idea for modders to spend their time enhancing the game content (adding maps, units, races, etc) rather than doing the work that Stardock is already being paid to do.

How is it pointless?

It helps us NOW, and has made the game much more playable in the past few days.

There's not much point creating game content when the game itself does not work properly. Not to mention that this is the work of a single modder, and plenty of others are working on game content. I don't really understand why you would feel the need to tell him that he shouldn't be doing what he's doing.

September 2, 2010 11:53:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It makes no difference as should the official patch incorporate the 1.7 fixes then it will just be redundant not conflicting. However I would almost certainly expect to have to start new games... again...

September 2, 2010 12:17:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GaelicVigil,

My primary reason was to learn the modding style. I'm working on my own project, and I wouldn't be where I am today on that if I hadn't done this. At the very core, it was a way for me to save time. I know what's possible and what's impossible - therefore I know what I can do now, and what I will have to do in the future instead.

You're right, this might conflict with official patches. That's why I said in the original post that when the game gets patched, you should remove all these mods.I now also recommend that you do not patch the game at all, until you've finished a modded game. This goes for all mods, because we don't know what changes are made to XML interpretation until the patch hits - any tag that worked before can now crash the game, for all we know. This mod in particular is in danger of corrupting your game, because it overwrites core units, races, buildings, resources, spells, abilities.

My time is not for you to worry about. You have no say in where it is "better" spent.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time: