[eMOD] Bugfix Mod 1.7 for Elemental 1.06

By on August 29, 2010 1:00:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall

Join Date 07/2008
+436

I'm deleting this post since it's become obvious that only pirates are downloading it.

For legit users, update your game and find the appropriate version here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/395013

Locked Post 120 Replies +14
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 29, 2010 2:02:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you for those!

August 29, 2010 2:15:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No problem! Let me know if you find anything else bugged! Maybe I can fix that too.

August 29, 2010 3:25:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

wow bugfix nice, thx

August 29, 2010 3:55:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

for you my good man... thanks for your help!

August 29, 2010 4:23:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded 1.1

Edit: And 1.2

August 29, 2010 4:32:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm assuming you need to start a new game for these changes to go into effect?

August 29, 2010 4:41:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes.

August 29, 2010 5:17:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Yes.

ok then another question too since these fixes can be very ueseful, but at the same time I need to keep track of what mods I have in my mod folder, can I subfolder that mod folder and it will still pick up the mods?

EG.. elemental/mods/bugfixes (then put all your bugfixes in there, and will it pick up those files still?)

thanks again and keep up the great work

August 29, 2010 5:20:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think you can. That's why I named them fairly similarly. They all start with HF106_ for this patch.

August 29, 2010 5:44:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great to see more unofficial patches appearing. It's a chore but greatly appreciated by both us players as well as the developers. Will you add the building bugfixes by James00D to your mod - Link? Would be great to have all fixes in one place.

August 29, 2010 6:05:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's no way to explain this without sounding like a douche, so I'm sorry about this .

I would add them, but those bugfixes are not relevant. The problems exist only in our core files. The data.zip we have is updated with fresher core files. The granary and the war college both do what they're supposed to do. How do I know? Because I worked on exactly the same fix until I realized the buildings weren't actually bugged in game.

Those bugfixes are now only relevant to people who modified their own core files and then regenerated the data.zip with createxmlbinary. If I include a fix for that, it will affect everyone who still has the good data.zip as well, creating two very different games (since GameModifers stack and cannot be overwritten in this patch). There's no way to be exclusive.

If you want your Stardock data.zip back, delete your own, then shift+rightclick Elemental in Impulse and select Verify Installation. It will think for a while, then tell you to download an update. Do it, and you'll get your data.zip back.

August 29, 2010 6:17:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
There's no way to explain this without sounding like a douche, so I'm sorry about this.

A douche? Not the slightest. You simply pointed out that I still have a heck of a lot to learn about modding this game. And learning is the other half of the battle.

August 29, 2010 8:14:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://forums.elementalgame.com/394086/get;2744499

Work in progress to fix shards

August 30, 2010 12:01:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

bump.

awesome effort here, i'm sure many people appreciate it

August 30, 2010 2:25:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
There's no way to explain this without sounding like a douche, so I'm sorry about this .

I would add them, but those bugfixes are not relevant. The problems exist only in our core files. The data.zip we have is updated with fresher core files. The granary and the war college both do what they're supposed to do. How do I know? Because I worked on exactly the same fix until I realized the buildings weren't actually bugged in game.

Those bugfixes are now only relevant to people who modified their own core files and then regenerated the data.zip with createxmlbinary. If I include a fix for that, it will affect everyone who still has the good data.zip as well, creating two very different games (since GameModifers stack and cannot be overwritten in this patch). There's no way to be exclusive.

Glad to hear this isn't as big of a problem as I'd thought it was. However, seeing as the only way we can use mods properly is to regenerate the data.zip file this bugfix is necessary. There is a glaring amount of problems in the core files that broke the game if your going to mod. I never noticed that the original data.zip was unaffected because some guy said to input that command creatxmlbinary command and it started fixing my mods during my testing. I figured everything was working correctly until I started seeing performance drops and the duplicate buildings.

The funny thing was that I even talked to a Stardock developer about this whole thing which lead me into fixing those problems. He certainly didn't explain the problem as well as Heavenfall just did.

I'll leave my bugfix availible to those who are doing any core modding, release an unbroken data.zip for those who didn't need mine and inadvertantly downloaded it, and update my buildings modification into an independant mod of it's own.

The problem with modding, I'm predicting, is that mods are going to be competing against the core gamefiles. If I want a merchant, for example, to produce lions instead of gold I'd NEED to modify the core file to remove the gold. I just don't think we have that ability yet with modding. We could certainly benefit from some Stardock guidance right now too.

Anyways, thanks for identifying this problem better. I was actually getting rather annoyed that Stardock wouldn't patch something like this right away. I'm still surprised they haven't changed the core XML files effected by this problem when you update, verify, or install.

August 30, 2010 4:15:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thumbs up on this one

August 30, 2010 4:49:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't get me wrong, James009D. While I agree with you that in order to fully mod the game at this time, we need to edit our core files, I think that's a step too far for a mod like this. Also, it would create extra work, just having to fix the difference between what I see in the core files and what is in the data.zip. I also wanted to keep this modular, so that people wouldn't be forced to learn modding to change what I've fixed - all they need now is to delete the file describing the issue. Because I realize that there are choices I've made, and not everyone will agree with all of it.

August 30, 2010 5:27:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I completely agree with you. In fact I just came up with a way to fix my merchant problem without core modification. I was trying to reduce the income to 0.8 from 2 so I just subtracted 1.2, simple fix. We modders just need to be more creative!

However, for that guy who wants to do a Dynasty Warriors Mod, D&D Mod, or something, he'll have trouble for the moment...

Great fixes, btw.

P.S. You could probably remove the Construction Yards bonus by subtracting it by 20%. I don't know why they made it modify materials.

August 30, 2010 5:31:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
August 30, 2010 7:37:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded 1.3. The new file is HF106_spell_Shardproof.xml which fixes shards in tactical combat for all core spells (burning blade+shield of fire still useless).

Thanks to Gnillbert for figuring out the shard problem.

This is a non-module mod, I just didn't want to put all spells in their own files. I used Gnillbert's shard fix and applied it to all spells, so all spells are now properly affected by the number of shards you control in tactical combat.
Drain Life - now does damage equal to caster's intelligence (no drain effect). The unique quality of this spell is that it stacks with all shards, instead of just one type like other damage spells.
Crush Spirit - fixed
Rallying Cry - now works with shards
Fear - now works with shards
Bravery - fixed, removed duration
Removed strings mentioning Ice shards, renamed Water shards after Beta

August 30, 2010 7:48:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very nice bugfixes/mods,thank you for all the hard work you put into this

August 30, 2010 9:13:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great work on the bugfixes!

But will my game still work with patches which come after 1.06?? I read 1.1 is scheduled for release in September.

August 30, 2010 9:15:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't answer that.

August 30, 2010 9:31:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall, here's another thing for you to look at:

The Empire (haven't tried Kingdoms) improvements that are supposed to increase essence by "25%", according to tooltip, don't actually increase it by 25%. If you have 16 essence/mana and you build one of those, you'll stay at 16. Shard essence bonuses work, however.

The buildings are Tower of Souls, Tower of Titans, and I think that's it?

Here's the XML for the shards:

<GameModifier>
 <ModType>Player</ModType>
 <Attribute>AbilityBonus</Attribute>
 <StrVal>A_UnitStat_Essence</StrVal>
 <Value>10</Value>
</GameModifier>

And for Tower of Titans:

<GameModifier>
 <ModType>Player</ModType>
 <Attribute>AbilityBonus</Attribute>
 <StrVal>A_UnitStat_Essence</StrVal>
 <Value>1.50</Value>
 <Provides>+50% Essence</Provides>
</GameModifier>

It looks like the value is supposed to be a straight percentage (10 = 10%, which is consistent with the bonuses I saw shards providing). So in that case, the towers provide 1.25% and 1.5% bonus. Haven't gotten a chance to try out the fix, though.
August 30, 2010 9:33:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very nice collection of fixes .

Just want to report that Opera is reporting xml parse errors in several of the files. While I don't really know xml, they look fishy to me too. They are:

In HF106_abilitybonusGreatWarriors.xml:

There are two <GameModifier> after one another, but just one </GameModifier>

In HF106_improvements_KingdomOasis.xml

There's <ImprovementType InternalName="K_Claimed_Oasis">, but no </ImprovementType>.

In HF106_spell_Shardproof.xml, this is fishy I think:

</SpellDef>

</SpellDef></Spells>
<!-- non-damage spells-->
<!-- ****************** -->
<!-- ** Rallying Cry ** -->
<!-- ****************** -->

HF106_spell_Sprint.xml lacks a </Spells> at the end

HF106_spell_Sprint2.xml lacks a </AbilityBonuses> at the end.

HF106_unitstat_ShieldDodge.xml lacks a </PlayerAbilityTypes>

HF106_worldresource_EnrichedLand.xml and HF106_worldresource_PumpkinPatch.xml lack a </ResourceTypes>

Do these mods still work even with the parse errors?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001047   Page Render Time: