Game changing elements from Master of Magic (PICS)

By on August 29, 2010 11:29:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

psikatt

Join Date 08/2010
+6

First some background.

Like everyone on this forum, I played the hell out of, and love, Master of Magic.

I've been waiting forever for a proper sequel that would do it justice, but sadly none has come out to date.

When I heard about Elemental, I was very hopeful, and indeed the game looked promising.

After following its development for months, I caved in to my urge and bought the digital download on the first day.

For the next few days I had played straight from when I got home from work until 3 in the morning, neglecting the fact that I still have to go to work when the sun comes up.

My thoughts so far?

The game shows lots of potential, especially with the mod community, but as it stands right now, I am disappointed.

It's bug ridden and unbalanced.

Without a question, its release was premature.

Honestly, if there wasn't such an uproar about this fact, it could very well be dismissed as a few disappointed opinions.

I've decided to stop playing and wait for the game to reach a state where I can enjoy it more.

With that said, here are a few elements from Master of Magic (missing from Elemental) that would make Elemental far more enjoyable for me and, I hope, the majority of you.

Regardless of whether they're done through mods or patches, as long as they're in, I would play the sh*t out of this game!

Unique and interesting abilities, remember how fun these were?

Items were a lot more exciting.

Remember when you got that 1 item that was chock full of stats and it totally blew your mind?

Ranged magic attack and magic resistance are well understood, units really should be allowed ranged non physical default attacks.

Fame affected how frequently some random events took place - merchants, mercenaries, heroes.

Remember the random merchant bringing you awesome gear?

What happened to races, racial properties, and race specific units?

Well, thats about all I have for now.

I for one really miss these essential elements in what was supposed to be the spiritual successor to MOM.

I hope they'll be added to Elemental someday.

Let me know what you guys think.

Locked Post 139 Replies +5
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 29, 2010 11:31:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I loved MoM as well as anyone, but it ws a buggy mess on release and didn't finally get patched up till a year after release.

August 29, 2010 11:33:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Amazing.

I never had a change to play MoM. There is so much missing from elemental. Makes you wonder where the MoM devs are nowadays? What did they move on to?Seems like a lot of smart people worked on MoM

August 29, 2010 11:41:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

awesome! i want this shiny things too! ^ o^ 

Hope they will implemented...

i have also a suggestion for the Fame/Reputation system... which can affect commerce, price in item shops, heroes hiring and why not... influence of the nation itself.... like culture in civs

August 29, 2010 11:41:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I loved MoM as well as anyone, but it ws a buggy mess on release and didn't finally get patched up till a year after release.

And i expect elemental to be the same.

As for the OP's post, it pretty much mirrors my feelings about the game, except unlike you i didn't decide to stop playing and wait for a patch - i'm having too much fun with it even in its current state. Trying various unorthodox strategies that don't work, just for fun, like only having one city and focusing on adventuring tech almost exclusively(basically turning the game into a RPG where the sovereign just goes on a dungeon crawling spree, etc.)

Thanks for the screenshots btw, brought some pleasant memories

August 29, 2010 11:41:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good perspective.

I hope Elemental gets there sooner rather than later.

*EDIT* I was responding to Rune_74, but I totally failed. Premature posting ftw!

"I loved MoM as well as anyone, but it ws a buggy mess on release and didn't finally get patched up till a year after release."

August 29, 2010 11:53:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why there is no MoM2 has got to be one of the greatest unsolved mysteries of our time.

August 29, 2010 12:05:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I truly enjoy Elemental, but Master of Magic was a much better game. And this is despite the (from todays perspective) really primitive graphics, the limit of 32000 for anything (the game would go into negative numbers if you accumulated too much) and the really small size.

One of the best things of MoM was the ability to cast spells. A vast variety of spells, and truly game changing ones. Who doesn't remember fondly the grand spell of undead that turned any fallen soldier into a skeleton - both yours and those of your enemy. Sure, skeletons are weak, but I had hoped to find the same spell in Elemental. And with wandering monsters it would be even better. If it is your spell, and you have won a battle with your sovereign or one of your champions, then the dead rise again as zombies and join you. Otherwise they just rise, to shamble across the country mindless and annoying. If two kingdoms are fighting a war, expect a few zombies.

I liked that you had to wait for ritual spells - you couldn't just slap on a few mana points and snap your fingers. It took many, many turns. But then you had a pretty powerful spell.

I would like to see something like this - casting a ritual spell means that your sovereign is locked in his tower, casting away. You can't use him for anything else, and everybody capable of magic would know that a) something big was going to happen, and if they had the knowledge, they could even tell what.

You hear me, Stardock ? I want my big, powerful spells. Gamechanging spells. I want to be able to turn the whole world into a ball of ice, if I feel like it. I want my army of undead. I want magic to mean something.

Another thing - I tried to take over a town with what I thought was overkill. I summoned a fire giant AND a stone giant. The enemy was armed with bows. The fire giant went down really quickly. Aha, I thought, but my stone giant is going to smash them. Their puny little arrows will bounce off him. Two shots later and he fell.

I am sorry, he what ? My stone giant, looking like a bunch of rocks, just got hit twice and dies ? What are they shooting with ? Armor piercing hollow point explosive arrows ?

MoM had Immunity, and I think a stone giant should be immune to pretty much anything without magic, except blunt weapons. Or magical weapons.

So, and now I shall go and try to conquer the known world. Because Elemental still is a lot of fun.

August 29, 2010 12:22:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

looks like MoM-Lovers took over the forums. I appriciate it. MoM was definetly a great game. Elemental at least lacks depth in Character Creation, Diversity of random Heroes/Quests, Uniqueness of Factions to start with. And id like to see a character stats system a bit more like that in MoM. It its easier but still a lot more powerful.

August 29, 2010 12:27:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is the only nostalgia thread I agree with. It would be nice to have that much more depth in Elemental, and hopefully it's something Stardock is working hard on introducing.

August 29, 2010 12:30:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I loved MoM... still do.  I got it on the day it released, but do you remember what a buggy mass of potential it was?  Even after it was patched some problems persisted and the AI never really had any teeth.  I'll probably still be playing it periodically ten years from now, but despite its vaunted status it still had issues.  

Although, it never got old building up a mighty champion who could smash whole armies and conquer cities all by himself while my chaos legions mopped up behind him.  

August 29, 2010 12:30:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OP - You shouldn't worry at all. I am pretty sure that the devs will add lot of new abilities/traits/etc. in the upcoming months.

August 29, 2010 12:35:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You hear me, Stardock ? I want my big, powerful spells. Gamechanging spells. I want to be able to turn the whole world into a ball of ice, if I feel like it. I want my army of undead. I want magic to mean something.

Yep, that was stated many times already, but worth stating again.

I've looked through XML, and see the ways to create proper enchanting spells and other FUN strategic magic, but I see no way to implement truly global stuff, which would affect everyone (well, besides buffing mobs level into the sky). We need multi-turn casts, with global announcement, world-wide effect, globally-single-slot-per-spell and some 'disspell' spell to remove other player's global spells.

Also, empowering spells with additional mana would be nice too.

August 29, 2010 9:16:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With what SD did with GalCiv2, and the mods, I truly hope MoM type of magic fun can be added here. Otherwise it's just a combat type 4x game without the true influence of magic.

I'm not saying Master of Magic was perfect, but it has a lot of concept that truly works as key ingredient of a 4x game with magic components. There's no reason to avoid them because no fan of 4x games would accuse SD of being derivative of a classic.

August 29, 2010 9:28:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Forget Mom, that's not old school.  Here's real magic...

Who can forget the first time the ball went from the left...to the right.  and then, bounced off of the bottom of the screen...!  Elemental has nothing on this.

August 29, 2010 9:29:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for posting that!  I never played MoM, so it's all new to me.

The mention of random events had me thinking:  GalCiv2 has great random events that could change the course of a game, not to mention the ability to react to some of them (such as uncovering sentient bugs ).  I am very surprised that this hasn't been carried over to Elemental!  There are so many possibilities, from volcanoes, to plague, to poor harvests. We need random events!

August 29, 2010 9:37:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rune_74,

I think you completely missed his point. He is talking about features and design and nothing about stability and bugs. I thought that message was sort of obvious.

August 29, 2010 9:38:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh man magic immunity was incredibly broken - it worked exactly like how it sounded: made the unit complete immune to damage from magic. Too bad there was another item or something (can't remember now) that could make a unit completely immune to regular damage.

So of course I combine the two, and get a single hero that becomes my one-man army - destroying all the other nations without taking a single amount of damage.

edit: on a side note the weakest part about MoM was the distinction between races: they had pretty boring bonuses / penalties.

August 29, 2010 9:43:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rune_74,

You read that on Wiki...you dont even know what DOS means. Give me a list of 5 so-called bugs form MoM (Hint on your google search) Microprose

August 29, 2010 9:54:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tormy-,
OP - You shouldn't worry at all. I am pretty sure that the devs will add lot of new abilities/traits/etc. in the upcoming months.

i'm sure they will too.  as we can see, the game was rushed/unfinished, yet there's so much similarity already to MoM, it's awesome.  once they add the content they've promised, it will be great

August 29, 2010 9:54:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Birdmon,

Quoting Rune_74,
reply 1

You read that on Wiki...you dont even know what DOS means. Give me a list of 5 so-called bugs form MoM (Hint on your google search) Microprose

Whats with the animosity?  I have had a ibm based pc since the 286(had apples before that)...I bought the game when it came out.  You are right though, I couldn't remember the length between when it came out to when it was patched so I did use wiki.  Good childish post.

Hehhe oh yeah disk operating system

August 29, 2010 10:16:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think stardock is afraid to use things from MoM which is a shame. I wish they would take the good stuff from MoM. The stuff you listed above was great.

August 29, 2010 10:18:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i loved the mom spell of chaos, which spawned random volcanoes in the world and slowly but surely destroyed the landscape

August 29, 2010 10:25:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I personally liked the different magic seasons I guess you would call them.... the names are escaping me a the moment, but there was amna dearth a dark magic time and stuff like that...made the world feel dynamic.  The game also had plagues which I would like to see added to Elemental.

August 29, 2010 10:30:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TLamming,
i loved the mom spell of chaos, which spawned random volcanoes in the world and slowly but surely destroyed the landscape

I actually played chaos a lot just for that spell.  I think those volcanoes also gave the caster of the spell mana, but I could be wrong, it has been a couple years since I played it.  The concept of laying waste to the world as a means of winning the war was something I always liked.  

August 29, 2010 10:33:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TLamming,
I think stardock is afraid to use things from MoM which is a shame. I wish they would take the good stuff from MoM. The stuff you listed above was great.

Maybe because using too much from Master of Magic is illegal?  Not that I don't think they could have taken more inspiration from the game, especially with regards to hero units, but there is a limit...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: