I'm getting sick of this. EWOM was not meant to be an End Game!

By on August 28, 2010 9:58:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

midnighthike

Join Date 07/2010
+2

Okay, so this is just my opinion, but I value my opinion.

I don't think the initial release of EWOM was ever meant to be an end game.  This game was always meant to be a platform for us to play with and expand upon.  This was meant as something that each person could make their own.  If you want a fully polished and complete game that you play for a month and then move on, then buy SC2 or something other carbon copy piece of crap something else.

However...

...If you want a game that you will be playing for the next decade because every time you look there is a new fantastic mod that makes it seem like you are playing a brand new game, then buy EWOM because that is exactly what this is.

I'm tired of people complaining that this game was released 'unfinished' because this game will never be finished until we, the gaming community, get tired of it and move on.  For me, I would still be playing MoM if I could find a copy, but I have this now and I'm not letting go.  This is love people, love of gaming at its finest.  I'm all for Freedom of Speech, but wake up to the possibilities, if you see something in this game you don't like, then get off your a** and mod it the way you want it!

...well I guess you still need to be sitting down, but you catch my drift.

Oh, and as a disclaimer I meant no offense to Blizzard.  You guys are cool too and I'm still waiting for Diablo 3.  Anytime guys.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox.  Gonna go mod something.

*edit* True, SC2 is not a carbon copy piece of crap.  Too many people are focusing on that sentence so I am lining it out.

Locked Post 194 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 29, 2010 5:21:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What happened to that advanced beta build Frogboy kept talking about that was supposedly way more advanced than our old beta versions?

August 29, 2010 5:27:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Krooldeath,

Quoting marlowwe,
reply 1
90% of people who bought Elemental paid for a game..not a map editor.

Great stat, where did you get that from?

He pulled it out of his azz like everybody else. lmao

August 29, 2010 5:51:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting rossanderson48,

Quoting Krooldeath, reply 4

Quoting marlowwe,
reply 1
90% of people who bought Elemental paid for a game..not a map editor.

Great stat, where did you get that from?

He pulled it out of his azz like everybody else. lmao

i am one of those 90% and i have some bugs i would love modders could fix so show me the mods that do this please:

- memory leaks (only 2 - 3 hours play then it crashes because out of memory on a 3 Gig Ram) it helps if i play on small maps what a great way

- random crashes to desktop (before the memory leak kicks in)

- stacks of units lost after reload

if you are so kind to provide me with links, because i have a 40 hours work in the week and want a fun play not some frustrating work on the game.

August 29, 2010 5:52:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Funny thing is, I've been playing the game and it works fine.  No crashes since 1.06.  Some UI glitches, but no game stoppers.  AI is weak, but it is trying to annoy me at least and succeeding (on normal).  Is it a work in progress?  Yes, of course it is and Stardock is the first to tell you that.  I'm in it for the long haul but that's just me.  I don't have money to throw away, either, so this purchase was a leap of faith in Brad and his team.  So far, so good.

August 29, 2010 7:02:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting stax77,

Only thing I want to say in this thread, is that if the idea is to get people to play this game for 10 years, then you need to start with a great game. Unfortunately, IMO EWOM misses that mark.

That is a subjective opinion. While i do agree that there are many unfinished features and untapped potential in Elemental, that didn't stop me from wasting every evening since release just playing the game and having fun doing so.

The funny thing is the more i play it the better it becomes. I notice what is wrong less and less, and what is right more and more. Some of the shortcomings even became a non-issue(mainly lack of documentation - i've figured it out in meantime).

Yes my opinion IS very subjective, and hence why it is "IMO".  

Also, I said the game wasn't great, not that it was crap.    I would rate the game around a C+ in actuality.

Modders shouldn't fix a game, they should improve it.  If I wanted to fix a game I'd get a job in a game's company coding.  

August 29, 2010 7:08:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

well then cut the price in half since I half to make the game myself

August 29, 2010 8:13:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its the ONLY true rts game on the market right now, everything else is a hybrid-genre failed experiment.

Euh... DoW2 ? I have SC2 and DoW2, I still prefer DoW2... But you're right, you can love more than one game. SC2 is not a bad game. Elemental for me is not a bad game (I prefer 4X so I'm biased and prefer E:WOM to SC2), but It's not perfect and there are many things I want to see improved.

August 29, 2010 8:54:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are there issues with the game as is? Hell yes.  Does that make it a bad investment? God no.  Sure, in my opinion most of the crashes should have been gone before release, but honestly I wouldn't have wanted to wait longer for the game to come out either.  It is a bit annoying to buy a game only to have issues preventing basic gameplay, however, it is very clear that stardock is actually working (and rather quickly) to correct these issues.  There is nothing wrong with being on the forums constantly complaining about  the many issues of the game.  That is how things get fixed.  Good companies want players to be on their forums pointing out problems.  This is one of the few companies that actually focuses on interesting game play and features, while most of the industry aims for passable gameplay with a cool video/graphics, since the video on a commercial or online is what sells their game.  Once they have your money, who cares if you are happy.  Buying elemental is a way of supporting its continued development while enjoying a game which, while not perfect, is still fun and different from the rest of the games out there.  Patch frequency and the improvements that come with each patch should clearly show that this is not a get your money and forget you company.  Give them some time but spend that time here, pointing out bugs and problems so that Elemental can become the best it can be.

August 29, 2010 9:31:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Okay, if the game was not meant to be finished and polished, the ethical thing Stardock should have done was to write on the game box "by the way, this game is unfinished and unpolished."  When a game is boxed and sitting on the shelf, the consumer assumes that if it is $50, it is a finished game.

I personally don't care about a polished game.  I'm in it for the modding tools.  All of my favorite games are mods of pre-existing games.  I even said about 2 weeks before release on the forums that I was highly confident that Elemental would tank at retail because of deep design flaws, but said that as long as the mod tools allow us to undo those flaws, I'd be fine.  The more Stardock denies that they've got some pretty thick issues with this game, the more I lose my confidence that they are going to be able to fix it on their own.  Let's just hope their modding features can undo it.

August 29, 2010 9:35:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

speaking of mod tools....when will we be able to click on mods within the game and auto-download them and all that crap that Brad kept feeding us during the beta process?

August 29, 2010 10:05:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game has problems, THE DEVS know this. I have spoken with them and they agree the game as it is now is not what they want for it. They agree that it is not as fun as they want it to be. What ticks me off is the constant complaining which is NOT followed by any sort of ideas, constructive criticism, etc. I understand being upset because you paid for something which doesn't work the way you thought it would. I have had very little problems but I know a lot of people have had problems and I wouldn't say 90% I would say more like 50% because I have heard it both ways. Now I am not saying that is acceptable, everyone should be able to play the game. Again, my issue is people just complaining to complain, it is counter productive. I also bet that a good amount of the ones fanning the flames probably haven't even purchased the game yet. If you want the game to be better, and to get fixed, than lets talk about whats wrong and how to fix it. Otherwise there really isn't any reason to be here, just get a refund.

August 29, 2010 10:17:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jereome,
I dont know but for me I was sold on this game being a sequal for Masters of Magic, and that Stardock even went so far as to try and purchase the license for it. Of course that didnt pan through but it was still sold as the spiritual successor to Master of Magic and unfortunately it fell woefully short of that.

Couple that with the horrible AI and memory leaks and all I can say is, "Houston we have a problem."

Seriously though I can deal with some stuff, because I love that I can mod alot of this stuff, but what I cant deal with is the lack of documentation or modding support. Cmon how hard is it to tell the modding community the basics of modding and what are the variables etc... Honestly I shouldnt have to spend 2 days of my time figuring out how to make a summon champion spell, or how to summon a wall of stone that I still havent figured out yet, or better yet how to tie your mana regen into your intelligence.

It was billed, from the very beginning, as a spiritual successor to MoM.  They said from that very same beginning that this was not MoM II.

August 29, 2010 11:18:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BLoads,

Dunno, there's this little thing invented recently called 'Internet Forums'.  You can go onto one of these 'Forums' and discuss certain topics and ideas with people who are also interested them.  

Sure, people pay $50 so that they can go on forums and waste hours discussing mods. Right.

No, that's not how it works, sorry. 

August 29, 2010 11:28:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting Rune_74,
reply 56

My post was meant to show how funny it is so many people say they would have done this or that...when in reality it probably wouldn't go that way.  I never said stop bitching....you took it that way...hahaha man, just for agreeing with a post, grow up.

I have no idea what point you're even trying to make any more - see a doctor about your short term memory loss:

Quoting Rune_74,
reply 22

What should we do in your opinion?  Cry and bitch on the forums about it being broken over and over again, or look at what is being done in a reasonable way?  I mean crap you can keep whining or you can try and help it get better....who knows, maybe that might work better?

I'm beginning to think you have some sort of issues.  That post was meant ok the game came out not any where near where they wanted it and yeah alot of people are having problems, but do you really think it is constructive to keep making threads about how broken it is with nothing about what could be improved.  Or the usual candidates blasting it and talking about losing their hard earned money when it is known fact you can get it back if that is what you want. 

August 29, 2010 11:31:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Werewindlefr,

Sure, people pay $50 so that they can go on forums and waste hours discussing mods. Right.
No, that's not how it works, sorry. 

Exactly how I feel, this thing is not even close to done or polished. It's fun, but it is a pretty embarrassing mess in so many areas, oh well, guess we'll just have to wait.

August 29, 2010 11:31:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting fatindian,

The first month of damn near every game that comes out is a nightmare.

Umm... no it isn't... 

Most games that are released play just fine. Nowhere near "nightmare" level.

I'm not sure what games you've been playing, but damn near every game that I've played has come out so riddled with issues and bugs it's almost intolerable. I note a lot of people have different views of the games they play than what the reality of the situation of the game at launch actually was. WoW players are the worst on this (this is an example, not an accusation). New MMOs come out with issues, and WoW players always give WoW as the example for how it should be, blatantly obtuse about the fact that at launch WoW was completely unplayable, even when the servers managed to stay up for more than ten minutes.

Most games are bug-ridden nightmares their first month. It's been that way for nearly a decade. The ones that aren't bug-ridden have really poor AI or features that are absent that should be there from the start. It's pretty much an inevitability. Why is it an inevitability? Because it's the market consumers have enabled.

August 29, 2010 11:34:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Devs constantly tout how modders will improve the game. I want a finished game from the devs - not modders.

August 29, 2010 11:43:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lswallie,
Devs constantly tout how modders will improve the game. I want a finished game from the devs - not modders.

Part of the marketing for this game is the mod tools, so of course they talk about.  However, they also talk abot what they are going to improve themselves, there are threads from devs on it that you can look at.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/393532

August 29, 2010 11:45:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lswallie,

I absolutely agree. I would suspect so does Stardock. I think people misunderstand what Devs mean by "modders will improve the game". They don't mean Modders will finish the game. They mean they are going to work hard to get the game fixed up so that the bugs are gone, and they will be releasing more content along the way, and that modders will then take their game (which I think most people, and this is off the cuff, I could be wrong, will agree is going to be a good game once the issues are ironed out) and make it even better

I would hope that that mentality is something that everyone, whichever side of the argument they're on, agree with. I want Stardock to finish fixing things. I have an optomistic view, given how Wardell talks about the game, and how the discussions I've had with Kryo and GreenReaper have gone, that Stardock is going to be spending a lot of time putting a lot of work into this game. I love this game, I think it's absolutely excellent, and I think that because I can see the light in the distance at the end of the tunnel of what the potential of this game before any mods are even applied is.

Mods will just make that even better.

That's the only reason I get into these discussions, is that I want people to see that. If I turn out to be wrong and Stardock abandons the project or whatever, then I will admit my error, but something tells me they are not going to do that. This game, given how Brad, Kryo, and GreenReaper talk about it and have been more than willing to discuss bugs with some of us on the IRC and how they are looking for constructive criticism, is a labor of love for the Stardock guys. It is for that reason that I believe they will make good on it.

August 29, 2010 12:00:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For my own experience, the game can't be finished with any mods or vanilla settings. It keeps crashing and out of mem errors. Beyond that, the number of reported bugs of things not working like champions that do not have their special effects working, shards not working, magic in general being lame, the AI being weak, the various exploits and what not.. The Game Isn't Finished, and I for one anxiously await the next patch hoping it will bring things closer to completion. At least allow me to finish any game so I can have a better list of what is or isnt working int he game.

August 29, 2010 12:21:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Thiryn,

They couldn't. It was August or February, no other choice.

Given the lack of retail availability (ie: none) everywhere outside the US, I wonder if they just don't bother with retail next time. Then you can release whenever you want, and there's no street date issue.

August 29, 2010 12:36:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TOWDrac,

Quoting skunkpuppy,
reply 53
They deserve every bit of criticism they get, and then some!

Actually, they don't.

As much as "fanboys" are lambasted, I'm here to expose unbalanced critics: Elemental is not bad. Elemental is very good and is riddled with problems from the launch, which was bad.

Actually, you're wrong there. I'll clarify. In terms of cool features, Elemental is not bad. It's actually very cool. However, in terms of actual gameplay, Elemental is actually a very very bad game. It is unbalanced and has multiple gameplay aspects that actually make the game worse because they were included.

After the game's technical flaws are fixed it will still be fundamentally broken.

I'm sure that will eventually get fixed too, but it's going to be a long, long time before this game is fun beyond a "figure stuff out" level of gameplay.

August 29, 2010 1:01:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You're right, why should I be unhappy about a game which crashing after 2 hours of play max, and which gives me FAR FAR FAR LESS modding power than Civ IV?

If you want a moddable game, Civ IV is superior. Elemental may become a good game and a good platform but right now it is neither. It should have been released in december, that's about all there is to say.

August 29, 2010 1:10:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or in February. Since that's their next launch window. Why they didn't will stay a mystery to me: it'll cost them almost all the rewards they could have earned for 3 years of hard work. 

August 29, 2010 1:17:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I object to anyone suggesting that SD does not deserve awards for EWOM.. The game is good looking and fun to play, even with all its faults. Once the technical issues are resolved it will not take long to balance things up.. If not for the issues hanging over it, EWOM would be a superior game for both vanilla settings and the potential of the modding.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time: