I'm getting sick of this. EWOM was not meant to be an End Game!

By on August 28, 2010 9:58:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

midnighthike

Join Date 07/2010
+2

Okay, so this is just my opinion, but I value my opinion.

I don't think the initial release of EWOM was ever meant to be an end game.  This game was always meant to be a platform for us to play with and expand upon.  This was meant as something that each person could make their own.  If you want a fully polished and complete game that you play for a month and then move on, then buy SC2 or something other carbon copy piece of crap something else.

However...

...If you want a game that you will be playing for the next decade because every time you look there is a new fantastic mod that makes it seem like you are playing a brand new game, then buy EWOM because that is exactly what this is.

I'm tired of people complaining that this game was released 'unfinished' because this game will never be finished until we, the gaming community, get tired of it and move on.  For me, I would still be playing MoM if I could find a copy, but I have this now and I'm not letting go.  This is love people, love of gaming at its finest.  I'm all for Freedom of Speech, but wake up to the possibilities, if you see something in this game you don't like, then get off your a** and mod it the way you want it!

...well I guess you still need to be sitting down, but you catch my drift.

Oh, and as a disclaimer I meant no offense to Blizzard.  You guys are cool too and I'm still waiting for Diablo 3.  Anytime guys.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox.  Gonna go mod something.

*edit* True, SC2 is not a carbon copy piece of crap.  Too many people are focusing on that sentence so I am lining it out.

Locked Post 194 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 28, 2010 10:04:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

90% of people who bought Elemental paid for a game..not a map editor.

August 28, 2010 10:05:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yea well its not that bad of a game in my humble opinion needs some work but very playable for me anyway

now metro 2033 theres a piece of filth I still am not able to play it yet literally it crashes on launch and steam still has not fixed it!!!

August 28, 2010 10:06:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

People still play Starcraft 1 so I really don't know how you can say that SC2 is a game you play for one month and move on. At least be realistic and not a fanboy with this one.

August 28, 2010 10:08:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting marlowwe,

Great stat, where did you get that from?

August 28, 2010 10:08:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can you point me to where it says that in the ads or game description, because I missed that part?

August 28, 2010 10:12:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dont know but for me I was sold on this game being a sequal for Masters of Magic, and that Stardock even went so far as to try and purchase the license for it. Of course that didnt pan through but it was still sold as the spiritual successor to Master of Magic and unfortunately it fell woefully short of that.

Couple that with the horrible AI and memory leaks and all I can say is, "Houston we have a problem."

Seriously though I can deal with some stuff, because I love that I can mod alot of this stuff, but what I cant deal with is the lack of documentation or modding support. Cmon how hard is it to tell the modding community the basics of modding and what are the variables etc... Honestly I shouldnt have to spend 2 days of my time figuring out how to make a summon champion spell, or how to summon a wall of stone that I still havent figured out yet, or better yet how to tie your mana regen into your intelligence.

August 28, 2010 10:29:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Complaints noted, and yes I should have chosen an example other than StarCraft.

My point is that we have an opportunity here to be the developer.  A peronal admission is that I was a D&D kid.  Grew up on the stuff.  My favorite part of D&D was not playing, but DMing.  Making up the story and then guiding people through it.  EWOM lets me do that again and that makes me very happy.

I have also played the game as is and I like it.

This game will only get better and better as the weeks, months, and years go by where as the vast majority of other games that come out will be shelved within a month (SC2 and CIV 5 likely exeptions).

And yes, I'm a fanboy and I'm proud to stand behind a company like Stardock.

August 28, 2010 10:41:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I love StarDock and yes I dont base my opinion on this game for what I see now, but what it will be in the future. I have honestly waited over 20 years for a company to come out with a masters of magic sequal and many have tried but failed for one reason or another. The closest one to completing my dream was Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, but it still fell short in the magic department compared to MOM. So when I heard of EWOM lets just say I was so excited that I probably had to change my underwear after I heard about it, but was sad when I saw that it was indeed lacking in the magic department. Which can probably be remedied alot with the use of mods, but unfortunately Stardock hasnt seen fit to give us more info on modding.

August 28, 2010 10:43:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Modding can't fix engine bugs.

August 28, 2010 10:47:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
Okay, so this is just my opinion, but I value my opinion.

I don't think the initial release of EWOM was ever meant to be an end game.  This game was always meant to be a platform for us to play with and expand upon.  This was meant as something that each person could make their own.  If you want a fully polished and complete game that you play for a month and then move on, then buy SC2 or something other carbon copy piece of crap.

However...

...If you want a game that you will be playing for the next decade because every time you look there is a new fantastic mod that makes it seem like you are playing a brand new game, then buy EWOM because that is exactly what this is.

I'm tired of people complaining that this game was released 'unfinished' because this game will never be finished until we, the gaming community, get tired of it and move on.  For me, I would still be playing MoM if I could find a copy, but I have this now and I'm not letting go.  This is love people, love of gaming at its finest.  I'm all for Freedom of Speech, but wake up to the possibilities, if you see something in this game you don't like, then get off your a** and mod it the way you want it!

Oh, and as a disclaimer I meant no offense to Blizzard.  You guys are cool too and I'm still waiting for Diablo 3.  Anytime guys.

Oh how mature (and original), bashing another game in order to validate your love for this game. When will people grow up and realize you can actually like more than 1 game at a time? In what way is SC2 a carbon copy? Its the ONLY true rts game on the market right now, everything else is a hybrid-genre failed experiment.
And to that, it's pretty much very similar to what Elemental is with the map editor and custom maps (you can make completely new gametypes).
Both Elemental and SC2 will be played for years, with wildly different gameplay modes all created by the modders.

Grow up.
"Waaah, you dont like this game, but I LIKE IT and i dont like THAT GAME that most of you probably like! Revenge!!"

August 28, 2010 10:49:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Corbeaubm,
Modding can't fix engine bugs.

But patches can, it's nt like they have done any of those right?  Right?

August 28, 2010 10:51:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good for you. I sure as hell didn't pay $50 for some tools and some XML files.

August 28, 2010 10:52:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

I'm tired of people complaining that this game was released 'unfinished' because this game will never be finished until we, the gaming community, 

Okay. The game was released 'unstable' and 'not playable.'

August 28, 2010 10:55:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rune_74,

Quoting Corbeaubm, reply 9Modding can't fix engine bugs.

And it's not like they've fixed even half of the bugs, right?  Right?  Until SD actually fixes the game engine, it remains busted.  It boggles my mind that some people believe this is perfectly acceptable.

August 28, 2010 11:03:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

I would be saying the same as you but it's unfinished.... the reason I say it's unfinished because the core concept is not fixed, The bugs is not squished. the features is flawed or not yet near finished. I remember couple years ago when I got D&D Temple of elemental evil game on release day. it has a lot a lot of problems but compare that to this game....this game have enough problem to bury the TOEE's problem in....

As a simple game modder I would only do maps, equipment and effects. I won't go into those coding to do any fancy stuff just because the core of the game isn't fix or stable for me to invest my time in to do so.  but I'm pretty sure even if the dev stop supporting this game, the modding community will, like the TOEE modding community because this game has potential.

August 28, 2010 11:03:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Baleurion,

Oh how mature (and original), bashing another game in order to validate your love for this game. When will people grow up and realize you can actually like more than 1 game at a time? In what way is SC2 a carbon copy? Its the ONLY true rts game on the market right now, everything else is a hybrid-genre failed experiment.
And to that, it's pretty much very similar to what Elemental is with the map editor and custom maps (you can make completely new gametypes).
Both Elemental and SC2 will be played for years, with wildly different gameplay modes all created by the modders.

Grow up.
"Waaah, you dont like this game, but I LIKE IT and i dont like THAT GAME that most of you probably like! Revenge!!"

I'm sensing a lot of anger here.

Maybe you missed the point of the post.  I was not intending to bash other games, the 'piece of crap' comment what just me getitng heated up.  The point of this post was a call to action to everyone in the forum that has spent so much time complaining about this game to instead use that energy to improve it.

I really think you need to reread what I wrote, because it apparently went in one eye and out the other, and the only thing that was left behind was the 'piece of crap'.

August 28, 2010 11:05:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
I don't think the initial release of EWOM was ever meant to be an end game.  This game was always meant to be a platform for us to play with and expand upon. 

buy SC2 or something other carbon copy piece of crap.

Really? As far as I can tell Elemental was marketed as the spiritual successor to Master of Magic.  MoM didn`t even have mod tools.  If it`s meant to be a platform to play with, should`t the tutorial (i.e. campaign) focus on the editor, not the game?  Shouldn`t the box indicate this?  Shouldn`t some piece of marketing somewhere indicate that this is a game building tool, not a full game?

Also, do you realize that SC and SC2 are among the heaviest modded games out there?   Blizzard managed to release a game with few bugs (the melting video card thing is an issue with overclocking idiots who don`t know how to properly cool a case), reasonable balance, full tutorials, a full campaign, full multiplayer on release, AND a full modding engine.   Ok, it cost 10x as much to make...but I don`t care...it only cost $10 more for me to buy.   For $50, I expect that Elemental should be 5/6 of what SC2 is....from what I can tell on the forums, this isn`t even close to the case.   If Elemental was in the $20-$30 range, I`d buy it in a heartbeat.  As it is, there are much more polished games out there for me to spend my money on.

I`m gonna go mod something too.  Think I`ll go make an FPS using the SC2 engine. 

August 28, 2010 11:05:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

YES!  This is exactly right.  I've been playing Galciv 2 for years.  I can see the same happening with Elemental.  Give it a chance, guys.

August 28, 2010 11:07:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,
Good for you. I sure as hell didn't pay $50 for some tools and some XML files.

same, I spent my $50 to have a good time and not to work my butt off to make things with tools

August 28, 2010 11:07:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jereome,
I dont know but for me I was sold on this game being a sequal for Masters of Magic

This is part of the problem, EWOM is not a sequel to MoM!!  Don't hate the game for not being something that it's not supposed to be.  and don't forget, MoM was a bug ridden piece of crap at first release too...

August 28, 2010 11:16:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting marlowwe,

make it 95%-99%

why? this game isn't made to be like RPG maker game. the map maker, and other tools are just side features to help add some value to the game and help the game to be able to expand itself with the modding community.

why someone would just by a game for a map editor and effect tools? you must be out of your mind if you do

August 28, 2010 11:17:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Corbeaubm,

Quoting Rune_74,
reply 11

Quoting Corbeaubm, reply 9Modding can't fix engine bugs.

And it's not like they've fixed even half of the bugs, right?  Right?  Until SD actually fixes the game engine, it remains busted.  It boggles my mind that some people believe this is perfectly acceptable.

What should we do in your opinion?  Cry and bitch on the forums about it being broken over and over again, or look at what is being done in a reasonable way?  I mean crap you can keep whining or you can try and help it get better....who knows, maybe that might work better?

August 28, 2010 11:24:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I paid for a good, fun game which I would look forward to playing. I got a confused mess of nonsense. I don't care whether Stardock had a great track record or that it supports the community or whatever. Right now, the game sucks and I'm angry!

August 28, 2010 11:25:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure what the rest of you were expecting, but I was waiting on Elemental as the highly-moddable, spiritual successor to Master of Magic. That is, both an excellent game and a box of tools. I do feel like we got half of each (which equals "1," I suppose). 

For that matter, I did something with Elemental I almost never do anymore, ever--I relied on faith that the game and its toolbox would be bigger and better produced than it turned out to be. I can see the future for it though, at least I think I can, and that is enough to placate me for the time being.

I don't feel burned, but that is only because the game sits in the hands of Brad and Stardock. That is the one thing that changes the equation entirely, for me. I can completely understand how some might feel a bit jaded with Elemental's current state, however.

August 28, 2010 11:30:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting skunkpuppy,
I paid for a good, fun game which I would look forward to playing. I got a confused mess of nonsense. I don't care whether Stardock had a great track record or that it supports the community or whatever. Right now, the game sucks and I'm angry!

Then get your refund and be done with it...you do have that option.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time: