[Icecrown Mod] - Tactical spell particle remake - UPDATE : Now support 1.08 (Link&Video)

By on August 27, 2010 5:39:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Icecrown

Join Date 03/2009
+38

UPDATE : New version with 1.08 compatibiliy, remember to delete all the old file, because i have renamed all the file (it was such a mess before) and they won't overwrite the old one

DOWNLOAD : http://www.filefront.com/17302498/Icecrown's Mod Update-1.08.rar

VIDEO :     

Fire Spells -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-AwWvyqTY 

Water Spells  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1DMnBkGkfc

Air Spells - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_KPHqrCILs

Earth Spells - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgcrukVO7WY

INSTALLATION : as always just put all the files in the "elemental/mods" folder, remember, you need to start a new game or the mod will not work

Locked Post 121 Replies +23 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Robert Hentschke
Rhaegor75
monstrgim
Fading_Suns
nem8
Ibnarabi
tanafres
Gravedancer
Galwinganoon
bloodystump11
and 13 more...
August 28, 2010 11:33:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now that's what I'm talking about! +1!

August 29, 2010 12:15:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent spell effects man. They look real atmospheric.

August 29, 2010 2:11:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

simply beautiful!  i love it.  you should have a go at making your own spells, i would like to see what you come up with.  question tho, is it possible to add stuff to the battlefield that will stay? an example would be a spell that creates a stone wall that is impassible terrain.  or perhaps a spell that makes something on the ground that you can park a unit in and give it better defense or a special ability?  just wondering at how far its possible to take these spells.

August 29, 2010 10:07:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey there Icecrown,

I've been playing lots with this mod this weekend, and have a few comments Most of the effects, especially the higher level spells, go on for a bit long. The game doesn't let you do anything until the particle effect plays fully, so with a lot of casting often you have to wait an extra second or so each spellcast without anything really happening - for example, Melting Touch waits for the ground to change color back to normal from burned. This happens after the effect plays, and delays next actions even though it's not really essential and you pretty much have to look at it to notice.

Sandcrawler Shaman uses a Fireball ability, which does not actually use your particle effect. It still has the old one. The Fire Giant is also using Fire spells and could use some love.

On foot, there are 3 different casting animations for the Sovereign/Channeler models, and only the first one includes your casting/travel effects. Mounted, there's only 1 animation and does not include your casting/travel effects. Very noticeable with Fireball. Mounted and with 2 of the 3 castings on foot, the only effect that plays is the target tile hit, not the cast or projectile travel.

The effects themselves look awesome, though. Can't wait for more of your stuff

August 29, 2010 10:08:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

question tho, is it possible to add stuff to the battlefield that will stay? an example would be a spell that creates a stone wall that is impassible terrain.

There are already several spells in the default spellbooks that create impassable terrain on the tactical map for x number of turns. There are falling rocks, vortexes. Some spells (Titan's Breath) can push people around, and others just randomly (or non-randomly) teleport units around.

August 29, 2010 2:35:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Hey there Icecrown,

I've been playing lots with this mod this weekend, and have a few comments Most of the effects, especially the higher level spells, go on for a bit long. The game doesn't let you do anything until the particle effect plays fully, so with a lot of casting often you have to wait an extra second or so each spellcast without anything really happening - for example, Melting Touch waits for the ground to change color back to normal from burned. This happens after the effect plays, and delays next actions even though it's not really essential and you pretty much have to look at it to notice.

Sandcrawler Shaman uses a Fireball ability, which does not actually use your particle effect. It still has the old one. The Fire Giant is also using Fire spells and could use some love.

On foot, there are 3 different casting animations for the Sovereign/Channeler models, and only the first one includes your casting/travel effects. Mounted, there's only 1 animation and does not include your casting/travel effects. Very noticeable with Fireball. Mounted and with 2 of the 3 castings on foot, the only effect that plays is the target tile hit, not the cast or projectile travel.

The effects themselves look awesome, though. Can't wait for more of your stuff

for the effect taking too long, i may try to make them a little faster so you don't have to wait that much; the shaman do not use it because i have only modded the "playable" spell, but it will be easy to make him cast it instead of the original fireball; and for the casting animation, ye i have also noticed that problem but i don't know how to fix it right now

i will also try to make the terrain change permanently after some spell are casted (it seem possible looking from other spell) and see what i can do

August 29, 2010 3:07:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fantastic those remade spells looks amazing. Moders RULEZ!

August 29, 2010 6:12:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can only add to what others have said and say these spell effects are awesome!!! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see more of it

August 30, 2010 6:51:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Baleurion,
Whats the difference between putting it in the elemental/mods folder as opposed to the mydocuments/mygames/elemental/effects folder?
Seems to work for me, but i'd like to know the difference.

ye both of them work, the only real difference is that the mods folder have the priority over the effects folder so you if you have a file with the same name in both of them, the one on the mods folder will be loaded

August 30, 2010 7:22:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A bit late ,but awesome !

August 30, 2010 2:01:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very cool spell effects.  Do you have this mod uploaded anywhere else, as the MegaUploads site is saying it's unavailble.

August 30, 2010 3:40:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's too bad we can't get persistent terrain scarring.
You could probably pull this off (on the main map, at least) by throwing a "PlaceEnvironment" map gamemodifier into the spell that changes the landscape to 'dead'.

I dont think that would work in tactical atm.

August 30, 2010 4:42:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting JWConner,
Very cool spell effects.  Do you have this mod uploaded anywhere else, as the MegaUploads site is saying it's unavailble.

is working now, if that happen again just wait a little

Quoting BoogieBac,

It's too bad we can't get persistent terrain scarring. You could probably pull this off (on the main map, at least) by throwing a "PlaceEnvironment" map gamemodifier into the spell that changes the landscape to 'dead'.

yep, i managed to make it into the main map(i checked the code of the blizzard spell), but as you said it seem like that do not work on the tactical map, but maybe there is some workaround

August 30, 2010 4:45:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Icecrown : in the cauldron I didn't find what was the purpose of the speed option in the emitter's sets. It's the only thing I can't figure out, and I would need it for my tutorial (and what do you think of it ?)

August 30, 2010 5:21:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As of 5:20pm EST still getting the following message when trying to download: The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable.

August 30, 2010 5:22:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am getting the download error as well. Box.net has a pretty solid file hosting option for free that is easy to setup.

August 30, 2010 6:22:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
August 30, 2010 6:35:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BoogieBac,

It's too bad we can't get persistent terrain scarring. You could probably pull this off (on the main map, at least) by throwing a "PlaceEnvironment" map gamemodifier into the spell that changes the landscape to 'dead'.

How the spell that places rocks with 100hp on the tactical map works then ? Because rocks are kinda persistent ....

August 30, 2010 10:16:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Been trying to use this (and a few other mods) and am having a hard time,  I downloaded it extracted the files and put them in

C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Elemental\Mods   There was no \Mods folder so I believe I was supposed to make it?  Anyway I think some mods have worked because it seems some champions are starting at 3.0 movement points (and not just the adventurers.  Some champions also have a "crushing blow" ability), but a fireball spell mod is not working as I still have the original animation. 

1.  Have I put the xml files in the correct folder

2.  Is there a way to verify that the mods are installed.

Thx.

-Axis

August 30, 2010 10:27:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow amazing, keep it up man! WE LOVE YOUR WORK!

August 30, 2010 10:45:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

August 31, 2010 6:52:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting vieuxchat,
Icecrown : in the cauldron I didn't find what was the purpose of the speed option in the emitter's sets. It's the only thing I can't figure out, and I would need it for my tutorial (and what do you think of it ?)

you need to set a direction for your emitter (ie set direction y = 1.00) than you can adjust how fast he travel along that axis with speed option

for the file problem, i will put it somewhere else later today (got no time right now), thats strange anyway i have never had any real problem with megaupload before

for Axis1354 as gwizz said you always need to start a new game for a mod to take effect

August 31, 2010 7:55:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yep I had been starting new games.  Apparently though I forgot to "enable mods" in the options menu. 

A quick question:  Do I really need to put this mods files in ...\Elemental\Mods\Effects  or can all the files just be lumped into the \Elemental\Mods folder?

Thx

-Axis

August 31, 2010 2:03:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Axis1354,

yep I had been starting new games.  Apparently though I forgot to "enable mods" in the options menu. 

A quick question:  Do I really need to put this mods files in ...\Elemental\Mods\Effects  or can all the files just be lumped into the \Elemental\Mods folder?

Thx

-Axis

just put all of them in the "mods" folder

August 31, 2010 2:12:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Need a re-upload, Icecrown! The link isn't working, I keep getting "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable."

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: