Minor 1.06 update broke my saved games :(

By on August 27, 2010 4:05:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

exogeologist

Join Date 07/2003
+1

I installed 1.06 earlier today, and started a new game.  I got a notification a few minutes ago (after I restarted the game after one of the frequent crashes) that a new update was available.  I think it was 1.06.018 to 1.06.019 or something like that.

Anyways, I installed it, started the game, and tried to load the save I was playing just 3 minutes ago, and was told that it's incompatible with the current game version.

Ummmm.... wtf?  If I'd known that this minor update would invalidate my saves, I wouldn't have installed it.  At least not until I finished my current game.

Can I assume this is a bug?  Is it something you might fix in the next minor update? 

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 27, 2010 4:14:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lol same thing just happend to me. 4h of gaming to hell. Am hoping a new patch fixes it, if this is a bug.

August 27, 2010 4:17:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

it's by design, they found some bug or another that made games incompatible so they just minor updated to make old saves impossible to load. bummer, but you'll see the devs say it was on purpose on the forums, as they said in the chat room earlier too.

August 27, 2010 4:20:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's not a bug it's working as designed. So start your new game an enjoy. ) I did and I had over 300 turn game going and I'm not whinning. )

August 27, 2010 4:26:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Droog,
Lol same thing just happend to me. 4h of gaming to hell. Am hoping a new patch fixes it, if this is a bug.

Jesus.  A warning would have been nice.  I wasn't having any problems that I could tell... I could have waited till tomorrow to do the update.  That's really shit-tastic. 

August 27, 2010 4:27:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, what this tells me is just to stop playing for a few weeks.  God knows if this will happen again, and I'm not interested in losing a couple hours of a game totally randomly.

I'm pretty sure if I come back to the game in October, this bugfix churn will be over.  Though Civ5 is out by then and I'll probably just end up entranced with that.  Blahs.

August 27, 2010 4:30:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lmao "shit-tastic" hahahahah

August 27, 2010 6:08:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, we were told to restart for 1.06, and so I did. A few hours later, I'm redoing everything I just did, and what's worse is I decided to play around with one I restarted for 1.05 while waiting for 1.06, so I've played the first three chapters of the game three times in the last 24hrs.

August 27, 2010 6:02:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love Stardock and think their support and product quality are among the best in the industry (along with Blizzard).  But this particular action was bad. 

Stardock, please warn us if you're going to do this again.  I'd rather have the choice, so that I can finish my current game before patching.  I will not be patching again unless I'm between games.

August 27, 2010 6:14:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yup, took out my saved games too. Oh well. Not a big deal. AI is tougher in patch and things are running a lot more smoothly.

August 27, 2010 7:27:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Im losing my interest in this game lol.
I love it, im addicted once i play it. But god...... I'll just wait til its had its next 15 patches the next week, so i can actually play it. (yea i could play now and ignore future patches, but do you think i can resist? no)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time: