Understanding Adventure/Domination Techs

Brief overview of what they really do ...

By on August 26, 2010 11:16:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dereliction

Join Date 02/2010
+36

Perhaps you're like me--confused as to just what adventuring (for Kingdoms) or domination (for Empires) techs are needed to raise notable, quest or NPC/champion levels. Well, fret no further!

<< KINGDOM ADVENTURE TECHS >>

Kingdoms have three primary adventure "tracks" within the adventure tech tree; exploration, quest and recruiting. Each track is listed below along with a brief summary of the type of techs you can expect to find within. Rarity, presumably as a percentage, appears in parenthesis after the name of each tech in the track.

Exploration Track

The exploration track reveals a variety of resources, and to a lesser extent "goodies." Techs in this line do not increase notables or quest levels!

Exploration (100) --> Lost Bounty (100) --> Lost Maps (100) --> Rare Resources (100) --> Secrets of the Nemesis (100)

Quest Track

The quest track contains techs increasing either quest or notables levels. Ruin delving, as a special case, increases both. This track also contains the potentially game-winning "Quest of Mastery" tech.

Quests (100) --> Ancient Lore (100) --> Ruin Delving (100) --> Ereog's Journals (100) --> Dungeoneering (100) --> Breon's Letters (75) --> Quest of Mastery (20)

Recruiting Track

The recruiting track increases the number and strength of NPCs on the world map. Naturally, these are NPCs that may be recruited by players as champions, for a fee. Refined charm may be researched to lower the hiring fee.

Recruiting (100) --> Heroes (100) --> Legends (25) --> Refined Charm (20)

Adventuring Tech Definitions

Ancient Lore: Raises notables (N2) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Breon's Letters: Raises notables (N5) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Dungeoneering: Raises quest (Q4) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Ereog's Journals: Raises notables (N4) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Exploration: Reveals additional resources (all?).

Heroes: Causes champions (C2) to spawn. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Legends: Causes champions (C3) to spawn. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Lost Bounty: Reveals food resources.

Lost Maps: Reveals additional resources (all?).

Quests: Raises quest (Q2) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Quest of Mastery: Raises quest (Q5) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Rare Resources: Reveals metal resources.

Recruiting: Causes champions (C1) to spawn. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Refined Charm:  Lowers recruiting cost by 10%. Repeatable.

Ruin Delving: Raises quest (Q3) level. Raises notables (N3) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Secrets of the Nemesis: Reveals crystal resources.

<< EMPIRE DOMINATION TECHS >>

Empires have two primary tracks within the domination tech tree, one of which is branching. Both tracks are listed below along with a brief summary of the type of techs you can expect to find within. Rarity, presumably as a percentage, appears in parenthesis after the name of each tech in the track

Codex Track

The codex track increases the number and strength of NPCs on the world map. Naturally, these are NPCs that may be recruited by players as champions, for a fee. Refined charm may be researched to lower the hiring fee.

Morrigan's Notes (100) --> Umber's Diary (60) --> Curgen's Journal (60) --> Legend of the Bane (80) --> Kir Tion's Codex (80) --> Refined Charm (20)

Mapping Track

The mapping track contains techs increasing quest or notables levels, often both at once. This is the only track, for both Empire and Kingdom civilizations, featuring a branching tree. It also contains the potentially game-winning "Quest of Mastery" tech.

--> Destiny's Scrolls (50) --> Treasure Hunting (50)

Mapping (80)

--> Myth Making (60) --> Plundering (50) --> Demon Lairs (50) --> Quest of Mastery (20)

Domination Tech Definitions

Curgen's Journal: Causes champions (C2) to spawn. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Demon Lairs: Raises notables (N4|5) level. Causes creatures to spawn.

Destiny's Scrolls: Reveals resources (all?).

Kir-Tion's Codex: Reveals metal resources.

Legend of the Bane: Causes champions (C3) to spawn. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Mapping: Raises quest (Q2) level. Raises notables (Q2) level. Reveals resources (all?).

Morrigan's Notes: Causes champions (C1) to spawn. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Myth Making Raises quest (Q3|4) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Plundering: Raises notables (N3|4) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Quest of Mastery: Raises quest (Q5) level. Causes more creatures to spawn.

Refined Charm: Causes champions (C4) to spawn (bug?). Lowers recruiting cost by 10%. Repeatable.

Treasure Hunting: Raises quest (Q3|4) level. Raises notables (N3|4) level.

Umber's Diary: Reveals gold resources.

Additional Notes

Either the Empire or Kingdom's "Refined Charm" tech may not be working as intended--the Empire version could be used to continuously spawn more NPC champions. It is possible, however unlikely appearing, that this is an intentional design feature marking a difference between the competing civilization types and the overall design of their respective trees.

Research within the Empire's domination tech tree is significantly less certain than the Kingdom's adventuring tree. Morrigan's notes is the only tech sporting a 100% chance of appearance. Regardless of rarity, one tech is always assured. Still, the Quest of Mastery may be easier to achieve for Kingdom civilizations because of the direct nature of the quests track.

Did I get something wrong? Forget something entirely? Let me know and I'll update it!

Locked Post 45 Replies +23
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 27, 2010 6:30:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you for this post.  I've been figuring most of this stuff out, but this is by far the most succinct and informative info on these techs I've seen so far.

August 27, 2010 7:09:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's very nice indeed! May I use your information in the Elemental FAQ thread? It would benefit the thread a lot, I think. I will dedicate this section to you and state your username.

August 27, 2010 7:10:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still get lost researching domination tech. No matter how many techs I research I always get stuck on lvl2 notables till about 100 turns into the game when I finally figure out which one takes me to lvl3!

August 27, 2010 7:15:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to ask- is that the complete empire list for those techs? I only count 2 notables upgrades as opposed to 4 for the kingdoms list.  Do Empires races just start at a higher notables level?  I haven't played one of them yet so I'm not sure myself.

August 27, 2010 7:54:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting phazonfreak,
That's very nice indeed! May I use your information in the Elemental FAQ thread? It would benefit the thread a lot, I think. I will dedicate this section to you and state your username.

Have at it, Phazonfreak. Note that I'll update this with additional information, providing the tech to x level relationship (e.g., quest level 1, quest level 2). Expect that sometime later today, probably this evening.

Quoting jhwisner,
I have to ask- is that the complete empire list for those techs? I only count 2 notables upgrades as opposed to 4 for the kingdoms list.

It is now--both the Plundering and Treasure Hunting techs weren't present in the original. As you'll likely notice, it is 4 to 4 between them. Of course, the interesting point (assuming I didn't miss anything) is that the Kingdom tree has 10 techs that spawn creatures compared to the Empire's 7. At the same time, the Empire has 4 techs producing champions versus the Kingdom's 3.

Having said that, its possible I made a mistake though I'll re-check myself later, once I have a chance. Pretty sure it is accurate at this point, however. If you notice something, let me know! 

August 27, 2010 7:59:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

one of the worst (or rather really badly documented) aspects of the current tech tree

August 27, 2010 8:57:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sticky imo

August 27, 2010 9:02:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't yet seen the resource revealing techs reveal resources outside my own influence. Is that how it's supposed to be or have I just missed those other resources?

August 27, 2010 9:17:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Norhg,
I haven't yet seen the resource revealing techs reveal resources outside my own influence. Is that how it's supposed to be or have I just missed those other resources?

I've yet to see it reveal something outside my influence as well. Kind of disappointing if you research it early.

August 27, 2010 9:22:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Slainangel52,

Quoting Norhg, reply 8I haven't yet seen the resource revealing techs reveal resources outside my own influence. Is that how it's supposed to be or have I just missed those other resources?

I've yet to see it reveal something outside my influence as well. Kind of disappointing if you research it early.
Well, I pretty much get the same few resources every time I research the tech so it might be that they give you a set amount of resources - like the monster ally techs work with one monster resource every time you research one. If so, it doesn't matter when you research it.

August 27, 2010 9:27:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You know...all you really have to do is read the description for the tech. It tells you what it does in the description. I know I didn't realize at first (I guess used to GalCiv). It says right in the descriptions...look for "notable level"....or "quests"....or "resources". I haven't found one yet that DOESNT let you know, albeit buried in text in the description.

August 27, 2010 10:20:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great post.  Karma given!

August 27, 2010 10:40:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You know...all you really have to do is read the description for the tech. It tells you what it does in the description. I know I didn't realize at first (I guess used to GalCiv). It says right in the descriptions...look for "notable level"....or "quests"....or "resources". I haven't found one yet that DOESNT let you know, albeit buried in text in the description

Sure, though it doesn't help that the tool-tip that tells you how you can increase your notable level is cut off, for many people, right at "You can increase your notable level by|" and so even knowing that it's a technology rather than NPC level or something like that requires a little bit of bumbling around first.  The OP noticed lots of people asking and confused about how to even raise these things in the first place, so he put together a nice list that tells you to research those techs.  Not sure why you seem baffled that this might be a helpful post.  Granted a lot of us did stumble across how to raise the notable level, but people were still asking and creating posts about it.

As you said- those techs lack the itemized list of their effects that stardock descriptions do in other games- in fact most of the other techs in THIS game have itemized summaries with each item hyper-linking to a description.  These things just aren't included in the same way.

August 27, 2010 10:49:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Slainangel52,

Quoting Norhg,
reply 8

I just wanted to highlight this again as I don't think it's getting much attention. In a thread where we discuss how these research areas work, we may need to go to a deeper level. Yes this tech will show you more resources...BUT...only in your areas of influence and once you research it, don't expect to find these resources anywhere else while you explore the wilds or at future city locations.

(easy fix would be to have these locations already populated on the map and research makes them visible to the player who does the research)

August 27, 2010 7:58:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Much needed information! Thanks!

August 27, 2010 9:14:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hi, i am some hours in a new game with v1.06 and i got lots of resources popping everywhere in my area of influence ... without even researching in the adventure tech tree.

My conclusion is, i don't need to concentrate on the adventure tech tree till i really want to make quests, as for the resources i got those anyway at the time other empires make their adventure research.

August 27, 2010 10:29:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Best.  Post.  Ever.

August 27, 2010 11:05:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting impinc,
You know...all you really have to do is read the description for the tech. It tells you what it does in the description. I know I didn't realize at first (I guess used to GalCiv). It says right in the descriptions...look for "notable level"....or "quests"....or "resources". I haven't found one yet that DOESNT let you know, albeit buried in text in the description.

Okay, without cheating I want you to read this description and tell me whether it reveals or raises your quests, notables or resources availability.

"This breakthru represents a significant effort on behalf of our scouts. We will map out more of the world and find superior notable locations which can provide great items. Unfortunately, it also awakens more dangerous creatures."

(Answer: Quest, Notables and Resources)

In the end, it doesn't matter whether you can decipher it or not. The point is that the text is less than ideal, not to mention confusing to many players. This is especially true when you don't even realize that quest and notables levels exist in the first place! I can't stress that point enough. I don't even think their existence is even mentioned in the manual (maybe it is, I'll look soon). 

Still, the text should be much more explicit, such as, "This breakthrough raises both your quest and notables level to 2." No room for confusion needed, there is more than enough information a player has to absorb without necessitating that they must sometimes decipher mechanics from arguably obscure descriptions. Honestly, it isn't *that* hard to make it clear. The most helpful thing they could do is add an interface item displaying the current quest and notables level. It could be fairly small but the point is to be accessible and provide players an explicit expectation about both--that they exist and they matter.

Having said all that, if you don't find my original post of use--good on you! That means you can move onto other things, right?

Anyhow, I've updated the original to now include both the individual tech-tracks within the respective trees as well as providing rarity information. I also added the "Refined Charm" tech to the definitions section, possibly locating a bug or questionable design decision in the process. (Compare the Empire version to the Kingdom version to see what I mean.)

Once again, if anyone sees an error or an absence of useful info be sure to let me know!

August 27, 2010 11:22:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting HappyNihil,

one of the worst (or rather really badly documented) aspects of the current tech tree

I like to think of adventuring research as an adventure in and of itself - it's never really clear what you're going to get

The OP ruins all that, of course, I'll try to forget the details.

August 28, 2010 12:16:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Austinvn,

The OP ruins all that, of course, I'll try to forget the details.

If it'll make things better, I can cut-off the text of each tech mid-sentence. 

August 28, 2010 12:51:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a very useful post, thanks.  these additional character levels are definitely not explained well in the game or manual.

So, if I understand this right, when a player researches a tech that raises either the Quest or Notables level, that basically means that the player gets one point added to his/her Quest and/or Notable level, which allows that player to access the next tier of Quests and/or Notables.  Is that right?  Does researching the tech also cause the corresponding level of Quests and/or Notables to appear on the map for all the other players as well?  for instance, If I start a new game and I am the first player to research Ancient Lore, does this mean that level 2 Notables are immediately revealed for everyone on the map at that point?  Or do higher level Quests/Notables become available in a different manner, and it's just about researching the appropriate techs to access them?

Any help on how this works exactly would be awesome.  I would also love to know which resources specifically are revealed by Exploration and Lost Maps.  And where the resources appear exactly would be good to know too.  it seems like some people think they only appear around the player's city...

August 28, 2010 1:36:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TeamM,
So, if I understand this right, when a player researches a tech that raises either the Quest or Notables level, that basically means that the player gets one point added to his/her Quest and/or Notable level, which allows that player to access the next tier of Quests and/or Notables.  Is that right? 

Yes. Essentially, when a new game is started everyone is operating at quest 1 and notables 1. Researching an appropriate tech adds to those levels and makes quest or notables of the new level accessible to sovereigns and champions.

Quoting TeamM,
Does researching the tech also cause the corresponding level of Quests and/or Notables to appear on the map for all the other players as well? For instance, If I start a new game and I am the first player to research Ancient Lore, does this mean that level 2 Notables are immediately revealed for everyone on the map at that point?

I'm inclined to say no based on personal experience, however that would only go so far as single-player games. (I haven't tried or played multi-player Elemental so far.)

For example, in one recent instance I unlocked level 3 notables and was eye-balling one outside the borders of a city of mine. Soon after, an opposing sovereign came into the area and moved onto the spot containing that notable location. However, the notable remained in place even after he vacated that spot.

There are two conclusions that might be drawn, 1) the locale is revealed to all and everyone can visit a revealed notable location, each having their own "turn" at looting the contents, or 2) the locales are not revealed to everyone and, in my example, the enemy sovereign didn't even know a notable was at that location. He merely and incidentally moved to that spot unwittingly.

Quoting TeamM,
 Or do higher level Quests/Notables become available in a different manner, and it's just about researching the appropriate techs to access them? ... I would also love to know which resources specifically are revealed by Exploration and Lost Maps. 

The tech texts and the XML aren't exactly clear about all the ways that quest and notables locations can be revealed. For example, the exploration tech describes, "This breakthrough reveals new Resources in the world." The XML simply states, "WORLDAWARENESS." It appears to be a general, catch-all reveal of some randomized number of resources, but not notables or quest locations. As such, you can't really rely on it to reveal specific resources (such as metals), but you'll get a smattering of something.

For example, the comparable Empire tech, mapping, describes that, "We will map out more of the world and find superior notable locations which can provide great items." Unlike the Kingdom's exploration tech, mapping includes both WORLDAWARENESS and notables locations (Goodies huts). So, in this case you'll get a mixture of both resources and notables.

Quoting TeamM,
And where the resources appear exactly would be good to know too.  it seems like some people think they only appear around the player's city...

This seems to be the consensus, at least for revealed resources. Notables and quest locations obviously don't work by that same standard, though I would question if only new quest/notable locations of level X (X being the newly achieved level) can appear, or if it is a range--such as level 1 to 2 for mapping, instead of just 2--can appear in some weighted fashion.

One thing is for sure, there is still a fair bit of mystery and a lot of unanswered questions about the game as a whole.

August 28, 2010 1:45:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dereliction,

The most helpful thing they could do is add an interface item displaying the current quest and notables level. It could be fairly small but the point is to be accessible and provide players an explicit expectation about both--that they exist and they matter.

Levels are listed on the Kingdom Report, right-hand page, at the top.

The question I have, is that I thought the World Levels were supposed to be based on the highest level among the various Kingdoms and Empires. However, World Level appears to be Highest Level + 1. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

August 28, 2010 1:56:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AndonSage,

Levels are listed on the Kingdom Report, right-hand page, at the top.

True, but it isn't very effective to have to pilfer through several pages of the kingdom report to figure out what your current levels are and try to figure out the global levels--which is an entirely different question on its own. A small but simple display, on the main-screen interface, would make it a lot easier and informative--in my most humble of opinions.

Quoting AndonSage,

The question I have, is that I thought the World Levels were supposed to be based on the highest level among the various Kingdoms and Empires. However, World Level appears to be Highest Level + 1. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

Honestly, I'm not sure how that works, or how it is supposed to work. I'm afraid we're all in the dark on this question.

August 28, 2010 6:02:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Notable locations appear for everyone, resources only appear within your influence range. Though you can't explore a notable location without researching the relevant tech yourself. When the game starts you should only see level 0 locations, if you start seeing level 1 or higher it means the AI has been doing adventuring research.

Also of note is the increased / higher level creature spawns likewise affect everyone.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001282   Page Render Time: