[Major BUG] Resource related faction traits seriously broken

Stack upon reloading the game

By on August 26, 2010 2:33:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rabenhoff

Join Date 08/2010
+1

The "Educated" faction trait is currently seriously broken, the game-breaking kind of broken. [EDIT: and all the other resource related traits as well!] It stacks upon reloading the game, leading to absurd numbers in research. This also seems to be the case for AI factions ... as it would explain the rocket science I witnessed from an otherwise puny Kraxis AI in another game ... breaking this particular game by means of the "monster level - highest respective adventure tech level" relationship.

But maybe a little documentation using a test game of mine:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10540235/Test.EleSav

I played this game as the Capitar faction and to a point where I could build a study to access the tech research breakdown in the city description. Here a screenshot before saving the game:

And now after reloading Elemental (crashed upon returning from the desktop) and loading the savegame:

As to the effect on the AI? The yellow player in this other game was Kraxis. Rather small in size you can see from the graph that his research was skyrocketing nonetheless ... and yes, I know the yellow line is hard to see. Just believe me, his line ends at the top of the box, while I follow up with just a third of his research:

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 26, 2010 3:32:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After thinking a bit about the problem I tried the corresponding other traits as well, i.e. "Master Smith", "Industrious" and "Superstitious". Same problem.

Here the "Master Smith" trait before and after reloading a quicksave game ...this time also without restarting Elemental. Please also not the "double dip". The 25% bonus seems to be counted twice. Once for the base output of the mine before multipliers and then again for the final output after multipliers:

And now "Superstitious", also stacking.

Pkease fix this. It absolutely ruins these factions. And possible the "double dip" problem as well ... or is that one intended?

Rabenhoff

August 26, 2010 3:46:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm noticing a lot of people reporting bugs like this, most are related to modding. Are you using any mods, perhaps? What game options are you using (use mods, localized data...)?

August 26, 2010 4:10:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm playing the vanilla game in its current version. No mods whatsoever. As to game options I have everything deactivated but:

• Janusk advice
  • Auto save
  • Zoom to cursor (at least so far ... first thing I will turn off now that I know what it does)
  • Tool tips
  • Skip intro

If you would do me a favour, you could run my little experiment yourself. It does only take a couple of minutes and would at least confirm that it isn't just my install / my computer. Just take one of the factions having a resource bonus trait and play till you get the corresponding resource. Then save and reload.

Rabenhoff

PS And I was using pre-made factions for my tests. Not custom ones ... although I realized the problem playing a self-made faction.

August 26, 2010 6:18:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the helpful bug report, I've verified the bugs that you noticed, both the faction abilities getting reapplied on loading a game, and wild improvements double-dipping from those bonuses.  These both have now been fixed internally.

August 26, 2010 6:34:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the feedback, Raa00. I really appreciate it. *goes to bed with a way better mood than a few seconds ago*

August 27, 2010 3:45:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, problems seem to be gone in game version 1.06 ... even if it was not included in the patch notes. Makes you wonder, what else is missing there. *evil grin*

But thanks for the good job called Patch 1.06. *applauds*

Rabenhoff

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: