is this the entire campaign?

By on August 26, 2010 12:30:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

taltamir

Join Date 01/2006
+33

I am trying to figure out if I finished the campaign or if it bugged out on me...

I washed ashore, set up a city, contacted the queen, killed some darkling, killed some trolls, killed some monsters, found out about the dragon, killed the dragon. Then there was a video saying the queen is sending her daughter to spy on me... and I got dumped back into the main menu.

Did I finish the campaign or is there more to it?

Locked Post 26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 26, 2010 3:04:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Was wondering the same thing. Ive even restarted the campaign after latest patch to see if it was just a bug with an early version. (havent finished it after patch yet.)

But yea shedding some light on this matter would be much apreciated.

August 26, 2010 3:07:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is the end of the campaign indeed, what you saw was Book 1 of the Campaign (which was more of a glorified tutorial honestly)

There will be future books release, and I presume for Free with patches that finish that story.

August 26, 2010 3:15:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

who cares really?  Games like this are made for sandbox mode, not the campaign.  No one complains about a lack of campaigns in Civ, I always wonder why people complain about it in Stardock games...

August 26, 2010 3:19:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The campaign is more of a TUTORIAL!

Play the sanbox/Continuos mode its where the meat and potatos of this game is at.

WAY better then the campaign, I havnt touched the campaign/tutorial after doing the sandbox mode, lasts WAY longer.

August 26, 2010 3:31:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This campaign looked more like to me as a tutorial and an example of the modding tools available and what you can do with them; Future campaigns are surely to be better.

Although don't quote me at a later date.

August 26, 2010 3:41:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For a game like Civ 4 or that series, a campaign isn't really that important to me, and in a sense would kind of be out of place since the game spans thousands of years and takes place in a historical setting.  You don't really need that much context to understand what's going on.

But in a game like this with a fantasy setting, I'm more inclined to want a campaign so that I can better immerse myself in the lore of the game and get some more context about the whole thing.  There is more room for s story in a setting like this, and I'm one that likes to be told a story in an interactive medium, especially in a fantasy setting.  Also, you actually have a character to role play in a game like this unlike something like Civ, and so a campaign can help with that.

Now, yes you can role play your character in the sandbox as well, and that's great too, and in fact, I'll be spending by far most of my time in the sandbox game.  But if there could be a good campaign as well to help drive the story behind the world of elemental, I'm all for it and don't think it should be ignored.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

August 26, 2010 3:56:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Indeed - I wanted more of a campaign as well and expected more than what was provided.  Looking forward to them releasing additional campaign books in the near future.  I get that sandbox is the bread and butter, but knowing that the entire campaign mode would take 2-5 hours to beat was not an exciting revelation. 

August 26, 2010 4:17:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are more missions coming, also if you buy that elemental book you get another mission line from that book.

August 26, 2010 4:44:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Polistes,
There are more missions coming, also if you buy that elemental book you get another mission line from that book.

That's a fun idea anyway - playing through part of what you read.  Not sure if the book is something I'll be picking up though.  I'll check out some reviews. 

August 26, 2010 4:48:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually you do get DLC for getting the book, I am going to get the book solely for that reason. Another SP campaign would be awesome!

August 26, 2010 6:32:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Polistes,
Actually you do get DLC for getting the book, I am going to get the book solely for that reason. Another SP campaign would be awesome!

yeah - but I wonder if its just another hour or so or something more. 

August 26, 2010 6:44:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They should just call it a tutorial. Im ALOT more interested in Stardock creating tools for modders to play with and make better sandboxes than them wasting dev time with creating starcraft-like campains.

August 26, 2010 8:05:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad was kind of back and forth on what to expect of the initial campaign.  What I gathered was that it would be primarily demonstrating what the mod tools can do (the whole campaign was made with them) while doubling as a tutorial and kicking off the first chapter (or book).  

This game is set to grow organically in a way I haven't really seen before.  No doubt why it's getting so much criticism right now.   What we've got is a framework and some content with a lot of rough edges.  The edges will get smoothed out and the content is going to start flowing in over a long period of time.  Even after it's all "finished" and all the "books" are released I'm expecting the 3rd party mods to eventually eclipse the core game.  

August 26, 2010 11:43:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting asteroides,
They should just call it a tutorial. Im ALOT more interested in Stardock creating tools for modders to play with and make better sandboxes than them wasting dev time with creating starcraft-like campains.

If that's what they are treating it as [tutorial], then I think so to... Frankly, I don't think it should be a tutorial... it should be a full blown campaign.  I'd like to see more and more tools (I don't think you can create a quest or campaign at this point, even though you can upload them?).  I personally would love to see a real full blown campaign... and I thought I was going to get one. 

Brad was kind of back and forth on what to expect of the initial campaign. What I gathered was that it would be primarily demonstrating what the mod tools can do (the whole campaign was made with them) while doubling as a tutorial and kicking off the first chapter (or book).

I gathered that too and have the same impression with regards to the initial campaign... BUT - perhaps I'm blind, but can you tell me where exactly in the released mod tools I need to go to create either a campaign or a quest?  I don't see it and I looked... perhaps I'm missing something?  Impulse:reactor has a separate tab for quest and campaign downloads... but i don't see any way to actually create them.  Hopefully I'm missing something...

August 27, 2010 3:11:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Right now you can only upload maps, the others aren't enabled.  I think the eta was 1-2 weeks for quests and campaigns, at which time I would imagine they'll patch the mod tools. 

August 27, 2010 8:50:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Techubus,
Right now you can only upload maps, the others aren't enabled.  I think the eta was 1-2 weeks for quests and campaigns, at which time I would imagine they'll patch the mod tools. 

Cool - I didn't catch that.  Thanks for the heads up. 

August 27, 2010 4:47:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

RL took me away there for a bit, but its good to know that its not a bug, but a tutorial campaign sortoff thing.  I'd love to see where this all goes, and how it develops, for now i'll just enjoy the sandbox.  

August 27, 2010 5:00:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting charon2112,
No one complains about a lack of campaigns in Civ, I always wonder why people complain about it in Stardock games...

well, one of the advertised features is:

* Rich, story-driven campaign 

September 6, 2010 9:53:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can anyone tell me if there is any other trigger after killing the dragon for the queen cutscean mentioned above? I won the battle and now just have an empty map to roam about with no notification that I've completed the campaign (Book 1).

I agree that it should mention somewhere that it is a tutorial (ie Book 1 - Tutorial would have been easy!)

September 6, 2010 10:47:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know how anyone can refer to the campaign as a tutorial. It did not teach anything. I could almost forgive it if it was.

This is without a doubt the most barebones campaign I have ever seen in a game. A single map, completely liner, zero challenge, short, and a story that arguably could not be more unoriginal.

Piff, book 1 indeed. More like page 1.

April 15, 2011 5:59:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey, at least it worked for you.  I could never get the game to acknowledge that trolls were dead.

April 15, 2011 6:17:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Terrorball,
A single map.

I suspect that is how all campaigns for Elemental will be: one (big) map.

Though that is not really a problem as you can put lots on a single map; however, for this campaign they did not.

April 16, 2011 8:35:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A "Rich, single -player campaign with many hours of gameplay" is exactly why I bought this game. And here I read it's a glorified tutorial or an incomlete campaign. Farnkly I'm furious. This was $50 that I could have spent on DS games for my kids. And if this campaign mode is a tutorial, it's a lousy one with many long awkward moments of directionlessness.

I have been ripped off. Unbelieveable. Shall I blame this on a Michigan union?  Or this this just a good old fashioned corporate bait and switch?

May 28, 2011 4:48:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Settle down, Mathis.  You're not the only one disappointed about the initial release of the game; I was, too, feeling ripped off about it, but now it's starting to feel much more playable with these new patches.  I trust Stardock to get the job done because they really seem to care; sure, they made a mistake by releasing the game much too early, but they are working around the clock to fix and patch the game and bring us Fallen Enchantress.  IMO, it wasn't a waste of money, just something you should shelve for a while until the game is fully ready to be played.  You may feel ripped off now, but I have a feeling you'll change your tune.  If you really want a rich single-player campaign with many hours of gameplay, play Age of Wonders; that game has a campaign nothing short of amazing.  You might also check out Master of Magic, the game that inspired Elemental.  Just some stuff to help wait for the complete Elemental experience.

May 28, 2011 5:12:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting JohnnyMathis,
A "Rich, single -player campaign with many hours of gameplay" is exactly why I bought this game. And here I read it's a glorified tutorial or an incomlete campaign. Farnkly I'm furious. This was $50 that I could have spent on DS games for my kids. And if this campaign mode is a tutorial, it's a lousy one with many long awkward moments of directionlessness.

I have been ripped off. Unbelieveable. Shall I blame this on a Michigan union?  Or this this just a good old fashioned corporate bait and switch?

You should blame it on not doing a bit of research on the game before buying. Seriously. Never believe what a box tells you, that's written by marketing.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001578   Page Render Time: