[Progress Report] Arcane Power! Particle Effect Mods: Melting Touch and Fireball videos!

By on August 26, 2010 12:06:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MagicWeasel

Join Date 03/2009
+4

As I watch my other Arcane Power related thread get buried, I figure I'll make a new thread with a couple previews of my effects. Melting Touch and Fireball are both almost complete. For melting touch, I hope to make the smoke cloud a bit better. For Fireball, the projectile trail causes a massive drop in FPS, even though the particles are minimal. I want to figure out why and correct this before release.

Bearing that in mind, enjoy these short clips of my effect mods in action!

Melting Touch

Fireball

Hopefully, they are both pretty, while Fireball looks suitably 'Level 3'!

Enjoy. So, what spell would you like to see remade next?

Locked Post 13 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 26, 2010 12:32:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey these are awesome. I really dig the mushroom cloud finisher on your fireball :} Also the effects that play on the ground during the bursts. Are you enjoying the particle editor? I always have a *lot* of fun when im working with it. I mean it could use some work but as it is, I feel like there's a LOT you can do with it.

You should try making a better Arrow particle. We didn't really have the support to do what i wanted with it (making it a beam) so all I could thing to do was to throw in a little white bar for the projectile... :{

I think it's just Arrow.xml and you can hook it up to the archers in RangedAttackSpells.xml, internal name BasicBowAttack (at  very top). It might be a challenge, but a nice one of that could be really valuable! Maybe if it's sweet we could even throw it in?

August 26, 2010 12:35:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MagicWeasel, might I suggest that you pool your time with Icecrown (I noticed you posted in his thread) to make an awesome effects mod? Two of you can get it done faster than one, and both of your stuff looks good. Why have competition when it can be faster and probably better with combined efforts

Also, hi Ziff! Long time

August 26, 2010 12:37:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah sorry, been busy

August 26, 2010 12:47:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

These are good solid effects Magic Weasel. I might have to pinch them when building my mod

August 26, 2010 1:00:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

whoa! Looks awesome. Stardock should bring you on as a contractor, get this stuff in the base game.

August 26, 2010 1:57:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SD_Zebrafox,
Hey these are awesome. I really dig the mushroom cloud finisher on your fireball :} Also the effects that play on the ground during the bursts. Are you enjoying the particle editor? I always have a *lot* of fun when im working with it. I mean it could use some work but as it is, I feel like there's a LOT you can do with it.

You should try making a better Arrow particle. We didn't really have the support to do what i wanted with it (making it a beam) so all I could thing to do was to throw in a little white bar for the projectile... :{

I think it's just Arrow.xml and you can hook it up to the archers in RangedAttackSpells.xml, internal name BasicBowAttack (at  very top). It might be a challenge, but a nice one of that could be really valuable! Maybe if it's sweet we could even throw it in?

Thanks a bunch. :]

The Cauldron does have its limits, yeah, but it's still a ton of fun to play around with even if, like with your arrow, your vision sometimes has to take a backseat because of the functionality.  Having each individual particle only interpolating between two points -- the beginning and end of its lifetime -- can be limiting, but for something like fire, it worked out okay to just use a few more of the suckers to get the look down. I do have my own little wishlist for the Cauldron, too -- many entries of which come from using the Torchlight modding tools. I'd love having seperate keyframe sets for the emitter and then the particles themselves. Also, doing color/alpha seperately (and more simply -- having to make a seperate little color strip texture isn't the most streamlined!), particle affectors like vortices and gravity wells, etc. I admit originally hating that there's fewer bells and whistles than other tools, but Raven X's prediction is still coming true -- the Cauldron is growing on me. I can't do everything I want in it, but the possibilities are still endless, if you know what I mean. : )

Though the tool isn't perfect, it's definitely the easiest time I've had of actually getting my effects hooked into the game. I'll happily give an arrow effect a try!

Annatar: It's certainly an idea :] It could cover all the bases faster, though I think if he and I partnered up, I would still eventually go on and complete my own set, for fun if nothing else.

MagicwillNZ: Thanks for the kind words :] I do plan on sharing, though things might get dangerous. I might be as obsessed with special effects as Frogboy is with AI -- hopeuflly I can force myself to put these things up for download, even though I'll forever consider them works in progress.

Bobby Hardenbrook: Thanks! Special effects I'm quite passionate about --  On more than one occasion I've purchased a game just because the spells looked awesome! My dream job is to do special effects art for videogames. Doing so for Stardock, a developer I respect very much, might cause my brain to implode from awesomeness (It's so on, Arrow.xml!). I see a lot of games get stuck with really bland looking effects, or only a very small variety. Not everything has to be of mushroom cloud-inducing intensity, but every time I see yet another game settle for a lifeless little puff of circles as an explosion, or 15 ranks of a spell that all look identical, I shed a tear in mourning.

August 26, 2010 2:46:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MagicWeasel,

but Raven X's prediction is still coming true -- the Cauldron is growing on me.

Told ya . All SD's tools are like that. I'm sure they'll update the cauldrom too as time permits. Your effects look seriously killer man!!! Keep it up

August 26, 2010 4:42:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love em, definetly better than vanilla! But i think the fireball should more like, explode in an actual fireball rather than a chimney leading to a mushroom cloud

August 26, 2010 5:05:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As spell mods start to pop left and right, do we have a way to easily pick which mods we want on or off? Like i would try your fireball but already have one that i had to dump files in mods folder for? I dont wanna lose those files thats my point, is there an easy way to pick mods, say like FOMM for fallout3?

August 26, 2010 5:08:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Baleurion,
I love em, definetly better than vanilla! But i think the fireball should more like, explode in an actual fireball rather than a chimney leading to a mushroom cloud

I've always found a mushroom cloud to be a far more satisfying visual than a uniform spherical explosion myself :] Thanks for the feedback, though!

Perhaps I'll use it this visual effect in a spell other than fireball -- but I'm definitely using it somewhere!

August 26, 2010 5:50:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love that fireball....

August 27, 2010 1:14:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rune_74,
I love that fireball....

Thanks! Though as Baleurion mentioned, a fireball explosion probably should be a bit more all over the place. I might use the mushroom cloud for a different spell, something more precise.

August 27, 2010 2:34:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great looking effects. Has anyone sucessfuly added a spell to the game? If so could you please post the xml here and which files you had to change. Even after the tutorial I seem to be missing something.

Thanks

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: