Brad, They say you Like "A Song of Ice and Fire"

By on August 25, 2010 7:04:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DariasDruss

Join Date 01/2010
+3

Hello Brad.

I too have read George R.R. Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire" and did enjoy it immensely until it never was finished and I believe it might never been finished unless Brandon Sanderson takes over.

I just wanted to give a headsup to a few other authors I think you should try and read it, if you like George's epic story telling.

My first and foremost favorite author would be Steven Erickson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. By far the most epic piece of fiction I have ever read to date.  Huge story line with massive amounts of characters, magic, races, gods, and plenty of twists and turns that never seems to let up but all have very important consequences. Great read and there are enough characters that you will love some, hate others, and some who will probably not even interest you all. (In one book part of the story is from the point of view of an ox but it is still important and hilarious) I forgot to mention he has created some of the most humorous characters I have ever read.

Ian Cameron Esslemont is also a co-creator of the world of Malazan and is writing his own novellas that occur in their world.

Stephen Hunt is also another epic storyteller who writes novels in his unique world of magic and victorian sciences. He has four books out now and they involve everything from super hero like people to "Steam Men" (a race of sentient,boiler coke driven, steam robots) and everyone in between. Read "The Court of Air"  and you will be hooked with all his ideas which he bases of actual scientific ideas and dreams from 18th century London.

Those authors have done something different and it works very well and I have enjoyed them greatly. After the next few months and you have some free time give them a go. 

If anyone else here has read any of their works let Brad know either for good or worse what you thought of it and why you would recommend it or not. I think it would be awesome to have a game similar to Stephen Hunts world or the "Malazan World".

Locked Post 63 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 26, 2010 3:32:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All of Robin Hobb, too!

August 26, 2010 8:46:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was never a big fan of Robin Hobb. I have read a number of her books but it just doesn't interest me all that much.

Now don't take offense just my opinion but it also took me 3 tries to get through Joe Ambercrombie's "The Blade Itself". The Bloody Nine is one of the best barbarians ever put down in letter. Love his books now that I have gotten past the first one. "Before They Are Hanged" is even better. Much more well written. He isn't what I consider an epic writer but what he does write is extremely well put and realized. I recommend him too.

Now another author who I have read almost all of his books is Dennis L. McKiernan but lately I just can't get into his newer books. Either my tastes have changed (they have) or his writing has changed. I have four of his newer books that I just can't read, but the "Dragonstone" is a great read.His Mithgar books are epic considering there is a pretty well thought out world with many stories over many timelines.

Now an author I tried on a whim because of the cover and name of his book is "The Electric Church" by Jeff Somers. It is considered a Sci-fi book mainly because it is set in the future but I think it is more closely related to fantasy mainly by the way it was written. Not to much focus on any science really just a darn good read. Be warned though is has warnings because of foul language on the cover. (I think that is kinda silly because you have to read them not just sit down and mindlessly ,listen to some foul language) All his books are great and Avery Cates (main character) is written very well. A normal guy who just has lots of determination and luck. All of his books are great but not really epic.

Now another author I wholly recommend is David Gemmel. I just love his books. They are usually based around traditional fantasy story lines but it is his characters and how he writes them in is what is so great. Probably the best heroic fiction author around. Not really an epic story writer.

Now most of these writers focus on their protagonists and antagonists and a few supporting characters but I should mention Brandon Sanderson again. He hasn't written anything like George R.R. Martin or Steven Erickson but his "The Way of Kings" series is gonna be something hard to ignore. His "Mistborn Trilogy" has one of the best magic systems around and is very unique. This is the best way to describe Mr. Sanderson as someone who takes unique ideas and turns them into great stories. "Elantris" and "Warbreaker" are examples of his creativeness that has been done very well. Too bad they ended rather quickly but still an interesting ride all the same.

Anyways that went on rather long but these guys are great authors. Gonna have to try Robin Hobb's books again as lots of people recommend her.  

August 26, 2010 9:14:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frog is a fan of a huge, sprawling intense epic which is released before it's finished, and may never be finished, even as it's branching out into other media? Whoda thunk it?

Just kidding.

August 26, 2010 10:32:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe you are mistaken.  George R.R. Martin is alive and well.  It's Robert Jordan who left his epic unfinished and Jordan's estate is having Brandon Sanderson take over.

I can understand the confusion though, it's been what, 5 years that GRRM has been working on his latest?

August 26, 2010 10:45:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Try the dragon bone chair by Tad Williams....I think the three part series is called thorn, memory sorrow...it's very good.

August 27, 2010 3:56:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CHiZZoPs,
All of Robin Hobb, too!

There seems to be some correlation between Hobb and Martin, as most people who like one tend to like the other as well. 

On the flip side, I find them to be the two worst fantasy authors on the planet.  I somehow got through the first two books in the Ice & Fire series, and (even more impressively) forced myself to read Hobb's Farseer trilogy -- and in both cases, I ended up wishing for those wasted hours of my life back. 

August 27, 2010 5:59:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know Martin is alive and well. He might as well be dead as far as his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series is concerned. He has written several blogs or tweets telling his fans off for wanting him to at least finish "A Murder of Crows". Yes he only had half of it written when he published it. He even says so at the back. Like I said Brandon may have to finish it for him.

I have read Tad Williams "Dragonbone Chair" series. Not to bad but I find he rambles alot. His "Otherworld" series all about computers making worlds and such to go on for ever and had to push myself to finish. I did read it a number of years ago but can't remember a damn thing out of those books.

Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel is a book that has won more awards than many accomplished writers but it sux. I forced my self to read it to come to an anti-climatic end and it was so boring. Don't bother reading it at all. The editor may be to blame because it could have been shortened down to a few hundred pages and gotten rid of all the crap that was filling this book. Crappy book.... still mad at myself for wasting the time to read it.

August 30, 2010 10:22:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DariasDruss,
I know Martin is alive and well. He might as well be dead as far as his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series is concerned. He has written several blogs or tweets telling his fans off for wanting him to at least finish "A Murder of Crows". Yes he only had half of it written when he published it. He even says so at the back. Like I said Brandon may have to finish it for him.

"A Feast For Crows" has actually been published for quite some time now - right now he's working on the sixth "A Dance With Dragons" (which I'm sure is the source of the Elemental tech with the same name).  Once that is finished, which should be within a year's time, he'll be working on the seventh and final book, "The Winds of Winter".

September 1, 2010 7:41:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Tohron. I have never seen it in any Canadian book stores but I had given up on him a while ago.

Well I went and looked it up. I had the name wrong on the Crows book. It says the last book published was in 2005 and he hasn't released anymore. I am correct and like I said I think Brandon Sanderson will have to complete the series for him.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/bibliography.html

A link to his publications.

I never said he was dead either. I just said that Brandon Sanderson would have to complete it because either he doesn't know how or have the will to do so or he will die first which is what Robert Jordan did.

September 1, 2010 7:59:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mr. Martin writes every day.  A book is not completed until it is completed.  It takes years to write something if you're goal is quality and not speed.  He is doing it correctly and the books are published on time.  These volumes are for people with intelligence.  Growing up and knowing what you are talking about ahead of time should help.  You don't even know the titles of the series.

September 1, 2010 8:08:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, he may be killing himself writing, or not.  It's his life, if he chooses to produce more books, great, thanks a lot.  If he does not? Well i hope he has a good life and thanks a lot for the books he did write.  Though I do admit, it is hard to stay in good reading material. So many bad authors or authors who don't happen to write in a style i can enjoy, for every author that I can enjoy.

September 2, 2010 8:14:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GregII is that a personal attack. Maybe you should be the one to grow up and keep your opinions to yourself. I just made an observation that when "A Feast for Crows" was released he said the next would be published within a year and that is definitely not on time. I never said he doesn't write anymore or that he doesn't write everyday. Your fanboyism is uncalled for. Thread isn't about what Mr. Martin may do it is about authors who write like he does. Epic stories. If you have any authors you may recommend that would be great GregII but just writing posts saying I am immature or not intelligent enough is not helpful at all.

There are many writers who are better or at least as good as Mr.Martin. If you have any recommendations of epic authors I would love to hear them. I am an avid reader, maybe a little hard or George but I did enjoy his books along with the comic series based on his world.

Delmoroth I hear what you are saying about authors. Hard to find a competent writer who writes great stories. There are a few out there. I just picked up "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson but I have yet to read this book. Still reading "The Girl Who Played with Fire" by Stieg Larrson. Try Steven Erikson's series. Some like it some don't but it is epic on a very large scale. Seven and his co-creator Ian Cameron Esslemont are to release 22 books in all counting his series and novellas that have already been printed. I have re-read this series at least 4 times now and I love it every time. Stephen Hunt is also another great author. I know I wrote about these guys earlier in this thread but I like to introduce more people to them so I am able to discuss what is happening.

September 6, 2010 11:33:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Raymond E. Feist, his Magicians Apprentice series was pretty good was planning on rereading it once it comes out on kindle, but I left my kindle on a plane in Dubai and now the damn things are on back order.. so maybe I'll order the paperbacks. 

I hope they are as good as I remember I read them years ago around the same time I read the Dragon Bone Chair, well I recently reread that one and found it kind of slow not as enjoyable as last time, think my tastes are changing with the years. 

love the thread by the way, always looking for a new author

September 6, 2010 12:28:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some good suggestions here.  I appreciate hearing about good books I have never read and I will be sure to look closer at most of these titles.

I have a few others to offer up as suggestions.  Not all fantasy based but as i am primarily a fantasy lover (Martin, Weiss and Hickman, Jordan (to an extent), Salvatore, Watt-Evans, Duncan) and I loved these books, I'll share:

1. Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.  An story of two intertwined timelines.  WWII and present.  Very well done.  he has a great way of fleshing out his characters and keeping you interested.  Not fantasy but at least look into it.  i have not been able to get into his other books as well.  Reading Snow Crash now and liking it but the Baroque Cycle was...  a bit more tedious for me.
  2. Daemon by Daniel Suarez.  Don't even read any more of this post.  Just go and get this book.  I couldn't do it justice in a blurb.  Actually, I "read" this as an audio book off of Audible.  It was my first book on audio.  I was a bit jaded going in as I really love a physical book - but the narration was great.  I have gone through about five more audio books since.  Pretty much a story about a genius computer programmer (smash-hit success with an incredible AI FPS followed up by a fantasy MMO) who dies.  Over the years before his death he put together a daemon that was set to be activated by scanning news feeds for his own obituary.  What follows is just incredible.  Also - all of the technology that he uses in his books (there is a part 2 - Freedom) are based on reality.  His home page has a nice set of links to all of the prototypes, etc in the world.  Can't say enough.

3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  The next big name in fantasy.  What a breakthrough book.  A lonely innkeeper with a very intriguing story to tell.  Mr. Rothfuss has a very engrossing writing style. 

4. The Reluctant Swordsman by Dave Duncan.  I have always loved this book.  It is a trilogy actually (The Seventh Sword).  Not the deepest writing or the most epic story - but a very good read.  I believe it is out of print but I lost my copies years ago and managed to pick them up again at a used book store.
September 6, 2010 12:45:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the info Mauxe

I also have enjoyed Patrick Rothfuss and Dave Duncan. Dave Duncans stories about the Kingsblades are great books that all stand alone and are all intermingled. Great stuff. I will have to re-read Patrick Rothfuss again. Kinda rushed through it so I could get into another book.

Still finishing the Stieg Larsson book. It is a good book but I am just not that into it but I am half done so I may force myself through it.

Daemon by Daniel Suarez sounds great. Will definitely check it out.

Raymond E. Feist is an author that is steady in his writing. I find all of his books to be great stories with lots of background over many many yrs. Nice to see the characters aging and changing. His writing style has definitely has matured and is leaning away from his all powerful characters and some are actually dying off and opening up some room for new heroes. 

Any more suggestions please keep them coming. Love hearing about authors and their books.

September 8, 2010 2:03:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know if any of you are into the Warhammer Fantasy or 40k stuff, but the Black Library has some good writers in their stable.  Might want to check it out.

September 8, 2010 9:32:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Moiiska

I have read the first book in the "Horus Heresy". I did enjoy it quite a bit but I find it hard to find the next books in the series. I am a big fan of "Dawn of War II" and all the nerdy lore that came with it and its expansion.

September 8, 2010 11:29:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They have been releasing omnibuses of their stuff.  Some amazing writing there, really.  None of the Legends nor Horus Heresy has been omnibused yet, but soon I hope.  If you want some recommendation in the 40k and fantasy readings let me know. 

September 9, 2010 6:55:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That would be great MOIISKA.

Thanks

September 10, 2010 7:09:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
Hello Brad.

My first and foremost favorite author would be Steven Erickson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. By far the most epic piece of fiction I have ever read to date.  Huge story line with massive amounts of characters, magic, races, gods, and plenty of twists and turns that never seems to let up but all have very important consequences. Great read and there are enough characters that you will love some, hate others, and some who will probably not even interest you all. (In one book part of the story is from the point of view of an ox but it is still important and hilarious) I forgot to mention he has created some of the most humorous characters I have ever read.

Ian Cameron Esslemont is also a co-creator of the world of Malazan and is writing his own novellas that occur in their world.

Like you, I'm a massive fan of Eriksons Malazan series. By far the most awesome fantasy series I've read (and re-read, several times). I can't wait till the last book comes out early next year. I heartily recommend them to anyone that likes fantasy.

September 10, 2010 9:44:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Starvald.

Great name you have there. Yeah I just can't wait. I will probably re-read the series just to get rdy for book 10. Gonna be awesome.

September 10, 2010 9:27:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Red Dwarf

WAAAAAGHHH!

September 10, 2010 11:45:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The best thing about the Malazan series is how big the world is. The stories don't concentrate a person or a party of people but instead concentrates on whole civilizations  and the people involved. This is a world where normal people who do extraordinary things can become famous and than "ascend" (become more godlike) and eventually have the power to challenge the gods themselves and take there place in "The Deck of Dragons".

I think of this series along the lines of Greek mythology where you have stories and many characters and all are important and all have there own stories as well. It is so enormous and vast which is part of the problem with getting people into the series and why I reread it every so often. I like the vastness and all the plots and story lines but some can find it confusing and hard to follow. Also the some story lines will cross over into other parts of the books.

If you go to this link you can see a list of characters. It is daunting but great all the same. Some of them are stronger than the gods themselves which I think is awesome. While gods may be powerful there is a chance that a person can be more powerful and mortal at the same time. These a far and few between which is also good and they do die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardens_of_the_Moon

It took me three tries to get through this book but once I did I never looked back.

These books are not high fantasy by any means but I like to compare them a little to "Conans" lore. There are different races but it is much more brutal. No fairies or elfs fighting dwarves here.

My favorite book in the series is "Memories of Ice" and the scenes in this book with the Tenscrowri are truly gruesome and still they will make me pause when I read them. So disturbing.

Some of the books occur at the same time not exactly by there releases. I love them and every time I reread them they still feel like the first time because there is stuff I missed or have forgotten.

I have added in a wiki link to the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

September 10, 2010 11:53:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was a big fan of the Belgariad series as a kid (by David Eddings, who has since published many others).

I got through 3 books of the Wheel of Time, but I'm giving it another try.  I was also considering GRRM, but had heard the series might never be finished.  Still, I understand the first few books are worth it regardless.

September 11, 2010 11:07:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The first few books of "A Song of Ice and Fire" are worth it but it being so slow coming kinda sux.

I read the first 6 books of the wheel of time but I just lost interest in the books. Not sure if his writing changed or my tastes changed but the whole love tri-angle thing really pissed me off. Only character I ended up liking was Matt.He had alot of great ideas but the story just took over and he wasn't sure how to finish it and wrap up all the story lines. Now that Brandon Sanderson is finishing it, it will be finished.

Another author that I really enjoyed but lost interest in was Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. The first few books were great but the later books got bogged down in ideals and they never even mentioned the creatures, places, and alot of the events from the first few books. The whole story line changed. The first 3-4 books though were great.

On another note a series I like alot is "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher. It is about a modern day magician who uses his powers to be a private detective in Chicago. Great stuff actually and is a good read. So far there are 13 of these books and they are all great reads. Lots of magic and everything you can think off roaming around Chicago stirring up mayhem.

Another series I enjoyed alot is the "Night Watch" tetralogy by Sergei Lukyanenko and is centered around Moscow. The books are based on the organizations and keep good and evil in check in modern day Moscow. They made a movie of it but the books are much better. Lots of were wolves, vampires, and magicians. I really enjoyed reading a book by a modern day Russian author to get his perspective and this has turned me on to " The Witcher" series as well as to "Metro 2033".

I have to give David Eddings another try. I read him when I was younger and didn't like him for some reason but I will have to give it another go.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001000   Page Render Time: