PCGamer warning

By on August 25, 2010 11:10:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LucidCon

Join Date 02/2008
+5

I think this article at PCGamer is a little slanderous and overtly malicious. Gratefully the problems he complains about I don't even experience myself. And I have usually been a skeptic here. Articles like this one are only designed to hurt and not help. The article is disguised to help buyers by steering people away through blown out of proportion accusations and statements. I believe the game needs work but not on par with the writers complaints. I don't believe its a disastrous launch. That statement is overblown and an outright a lie in my opinion. I am not a fanboy but I know a good game with potential when I play it. It just saddens me that there are players out there with chips on their shoulders or vendettas.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/25/elementals-disastrous-launch-stay-well-away/

Locked Post 333 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 25, 2010 8:33:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Birdmon,
I am sick and tired of spending my hard earned money on UNFINSHED games. I will NOT buy this game. We keep accepting unfinshed product as "ok"  - because they all do it. Well it stops now for me. Good Luck fools

Thanks for sharing now get lost...if you don't have the game, don't plan on buying the game, you got nothing.

August 25, 2010 9:17:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know that when I first started Beta 2 I wrote a glowing bit of praise for the game on my old guild's website, advising people that for a beta it was shaping up nicely. I've since been wondering what exactly I should do, should I post and tell anyone thinking about buying it to hold off? Because I know that I was very much looking forward to playing Elemental for the campaign. I actually thought that there would be some meat and potatoes to the campaign that is now being called a glorified tutorial. Okay, so it's not something that was in MoM, but it something that was touted in Elemental. With the game in the state it is, with the GPU not being utilized for a number of people (although they're close to fixing that in house), or the white screens every third battle (could these two things be related? I seem to have both issues) there are undeniable issues with the release version. Or the version that I can play today, right now.

And yet an article in which a reviewer states that, for the sake of the review, he's waiting to try a more stable version than that which shipped is overlooked. I know, it's PC Gamer UK, but PC Gamer had for a long time a policy to refuse re-reviews based on patches and wouldn't review anything other than the software that went gold and shipped to customers and store shelves. They may have taken another stance since I stopped subscribing, I know that broadband is a household term now and it's not the hassle it once was to patch games. However the writer who states that a wheel is round shouldn't be attacked. The writer who says that Elemental might be more trouble than it's worth right now is just making the case that he sees very clearly. He isn't being malicious, and although he may have quoted Brad out of context I do think that it's an odd stance for a dev to take that maybe people should just not buy their products. And I saw a post on this forum, where Brad did very much the same thing, telling someone maybe Civ V was more their speed when they wanted a bit more high fantasy (Really Brad, not even HOMM VI?). Brad could have said, well we're shipping the sorts of mod tools that will allow for customers to create their own realms that lean more towards the traditional orcs and ogres and the like. He could have said, I understand that you find the units in this game to be boring, as they're all human. But it was a design decision that we made, because we felt the story we wanted to tell with our game was one that would be better served with more relatable characters. or something to that effect. I don't know that, had I read all that before preordering, I would still be inclined to do so. That was something I experienced well in context and it still made me step back and say, whoa. I understand that when people seem to be trashing your work it isn't pleasant, but the things you say on the internet have a way of coming back to haunt you. I would imagine that if Brad had an employee who went around telling people not to buy their software, they wouldn't be working much longer.

The fact is that I liked GalCiv II well enough to take a risk and gamble that not only could I be given the chance to have input and help resolve issues with the game by playing the beta, I could also support a company that I felt was deserving of such support. I almost preordered Demigod and decided against it at the last minute as I didn't know if I would enjoy that title. However having missed the previous debacle I thought was over some GPG netcode or something that I could safely assume that nothing Stardock was releasing that was developed in-house would be anything less than completely ready and polished. I don't know the financial state of Stardock, but if they could have waited to release until February from a financial standpoint, then I think that maybe the product would have been better served by a delayed release.

I can understand what happened, as someone who recently spoke about RTW's demise wrote recently captures this well: "... game development is a weird business. A game can play poorly right up until only a few months before release, for a variety of reasons – Crackdown was awful right up until a month or two before it came out (some would say awful afterwards, too, but I’m trying to make a point . Knowing this, it can blind you to a game’s imperfections – or lead you to think it’s going to come right by release. You end up in this situation where you’re heads down working your ass off, not well able to critically assess your own product. APB itself only really came together technically relatively late in its development cycle (and it still obviously has problems), leaving too little time for content production and polish, and lacking any real quality in some of its core mechanics (shooting / driving). It’s not that the team was unaware of these huge issues, but a million little things conspire to prevent you from being able to do anything about them. It can seem difficult to comprehend, it certainly was for me before entering the industry – ‘How did those idiots get X wrong in game Y?’. No team sets out to ship something anything less than perfection, but projects can evolve in ways that no one seems to be in total control of. All that said, it was pretty clear to me that the game was going to get a kicking at review – the gap between expectation and the reality was huge. I wasn’t on the APB team, so I played it infrequently, during internal test days etc. I was genuinely shocked when I played the release candidate – I couldn’t believe Dave J would be willing to release this. All the issues that had driven me nuts about it were still there...

...We also went to beta far too early, wiser heads were ignored when it was pointed out that any kind of beta, even very early beta, might as well be public as far as generating word of mouth. The real purpose of beta is publicity, not bug fixing. We never took that lesson on board. We also made the error of not releasing fixes externally to many of the issues early beta testers were picking up, keeping the fixes on internal builds, I presume to lessen the load on QA. This simply meant that to early beta testers, it looked as though we were never bothering to fix the issues they found, when in fact, they were being fixed, simply being deployed back into beta very infrequently. This lesson was eventually learnt, but only after we’d pissed off a large number of early-adopters."

August 25, 2010 9:19:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rune_74,

Quoting Birdmon, reply 224I am sick and tired of spending my hard earned money on UNFINSHED games. I will NOT buy this game. We keep accepting unfinshed product as "ok"  - because they all do it. Well it stops now for me. Good Luck fools

Thanks for sharing now get lost...if you don't have the game, don't plan on buying the game, you got nothing.

Nah, he registered here just like you, so evidently you two have roughly the same level of opinion.

Or, take a dose of your own medicine and don't feel the need to add more useless rebuttals to the initially useless posts.

August 25, 2010 9:56:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting IcyError,
Hmm...

One thing I don't understand... What the hell are you doing with your PC's to get all the CTDs and other technical problems?

I have 4 PCs/Laptops and no matter how much I try I am not possible to have the same buggy game you seem to have?!?

All PC's are custom builds...

PC1: Core2Duo 7300 OC 3,2GHz / 4GB RAM / 260GTX / Win Vista 32Bit

PC2: Phenom X6 1055 / 4GB RAM / 2x 460GTX / Win 7 64Bit

PC3: Core2Duo 8200 / 4GB RAM / 8800GT/ Win Vista 64Bit

Laptop LG P310 Tarsia: Core2Duo 9500 / 4GB Ram / 9600GT / Win 7 64Bit

So far I don't have any of the crashes I have seen in the beta. None of these PC's suffer from massive slowdowns or something.

Maybe only Intel i5/i7 users or ATI users suffer from the problems only...

The majority of the crash bugs were on ATI hardware, yeah. Something in the ATI drivers and Elemental didn't play nice. Somewhat ironically my new computer has an ATI card after I had a lot of problems in 2009/2010 with other games and Nivida cards.

Can't win.

August 25, 2010 10:21:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My two cents:

Frogboy's comments:  I could care less.  Unfortunately, even if a paying customer is that unhappy with your company's product, sometimes it is better for them to find a different company--even if its a competitor.  Granted, it could be said more tactfully, but I think he got his point across.  The apology was nice, but in my opinion not necessary.

PC Gamer UK:  I care even less.  I never have nor will I ever buy a product based on a reviewer's opinion.  Like most media outlets these days, the "reviews" usually have an agenda, are slanted, or bought.

August 26, 2010 1:54:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Tridus,

The majority of the crash bugs were on ATI hardware, yeah. Something in the ATI drivers and Elemental didn't play nice. Somewhat ironically my new computer has an ATI card after I had a lot of problems in 2009/2010 with other games and Nivida cards.

Can't win.

I have a radeon card (5700) and Windows7-64 bit, no crashes for 6 hours (4pm-10pm) today running in 720p windowed (fullscreen for my HDTV) 300+ turns, High res shadows, overgrown X10, Depth of field enabled and mip map maxed.

I also installed the game on my girlfriend's rig which is a Windows7-32bit with a Nvidia Geforce9800GT and it works fine no crashes on fullscreen for 2 hours 100+ turns.  Same maxed out settings.

August 26, 2010 1:59:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

giant bomb article on pc gamer article: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/what-is-going-on-with-elemental-war-of-magic/2479/

August 26, 2010 2:29:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"I believe the game needs work but not on par with the writers complaints"

In a nutshell.  Good post OP.

August 26, 2010 2:33:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder if its true that more people heard about Elemental's launch than actually knew about elemental. If that was the case then (if fixed) this could have the net effect of increased sales. Only, however, once all the dust settles and the game reaches an improved state.

August 26, 2010 2:41:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's funny because I've played for hours on end and have yet to experience one crash or even one major bug. Nothing described in the PCGamer article has occured for me.

The only bug I can think of that HAS occured is a loss of sound/music after about 3 hours play, restart the game and you're good to go, only a minor bump in an otherwise awesome game.

August 26, 2010 3:16:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't understand all of the people here. I apologize but i have never suffered through any issues or glitches. Only one time on the pre patched preorder version of the game *the day before release* did it crash. After the release. Not once. And no errors loading. had some slowdowns but otherwise i've had no issues.

August 26, 2010 3:39:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Nova,

Quoting Tridus, reply 229

I have a radeon card (5700) and Windows7-64 bit, no crashes for 6 hours (4pm-10pm) today running in 720p windowed (fullscreen for my HDTV) 300+ turns, High res shadows, overgrown X10, Depth of field enabled and mip map maxed.

I, too have Win7 x64 and Ati 5770 with no problems, and have seen other posts with similar video card setup. It must only be particular ATI models. I know that some ATI cards are acting very buggy on Borderlands right now if you run the latest drivers, while 10.5 drivers work just fine. Have any ATI users having trouble tried using 10.5?

August 26, 2010 4:25:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CHiZZoPs,

Quoting Lord Nova, reply 231
Quoting Tridus, reply 229

I, too have Win7 x64 and Ati 5770 with no problems, and have seen other posts with similar video card setup. It must only be particular ATI models. I know that some ATI cards are acting very buggy on Borderlands right now if you run the latest drivers, while 10.5 drivers work just fine. Have any ATI users having trouble tried using 10.5?
It's not so simple as an ATI problem, an Nvidia problem, or a CPU brand issue either. This is some sort of cross platform bug that they've just now managed to cobble together a machine that replicates it reliably. The first step to solving the issue has been taken, it's just a matter of time. 

August 26, 2010 4:32:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sethfc,
I don't understand all of the people here. I apologize but i have never suffered through any issues or glitches. Only one time on the pre patched preorder version of the game *the day before release* did it crash. After the release. Not once. And no errors loading. had some slowdowns but otherwise i've had no issues.

I am fine, thus everyone else must be fine, right?

I personally have experienced just one crash in roughly 3 hours of play, so crashes are not a real issue with me, but at least I can understand how agonizing they must be

Yet, I have to somehow agree with PC Gamer (although I really dont care about them and their opinions at all, and as someone said, they gave 91% to Spore...)

Stardock simply failed to meet their own self-made standards. They indeed released the game in very problematic state and I really expected more. The game feel so ... unpolished. As someone mentioned - missing path trails for units movements are nice example of those little things which are people used to and they do not realize effort invested in those. But once they are not in there, game feels different, people not even being able to say what is wrong.

Another example - I tried to use lower land on a landbridge connecting two continents (2 tiles wide). Didnt allow me. No explanation why, no popup given, nothing. Just red square... Ok, probably it is ment just to lower mountains, not create the sea, I figgured out. So I tried raise land. Great, got green squares, clicked, got some particle animation and voila - nothing happened. Mana gone. Tried again,  nothing happened, now I am out of mana. Probably it is not allowed to have mountains next to sea. But why the game let me do that then? not even informing me of the risk?

That is what I call unpolished. There is huge amount of work to be done in this area.

I havent play game long enough to talk about balance, bu what I have encountered is that when using some spell (something like "weaken", dont remember the name), which is supposed to lower attack to half, the enemy started to completly miss the targets. So with that I can kill anything just with my few summons, since all their (counter)attacks miss. hmmm. (btw.  their attack number got into negative)

They really should have waited a little bit more. I know that all of that stuff above are just details (now I am not even talking about crashes). It really seems that someone got scared of Civ5. Well, now they indeed can be. Elemental is going to get lot of mixed opinions and I guess many people be put off by them and will wait for Civ. And In a month, two or three, when Elemental will get into proper shape (something, we can be absolutly sure that SD will do, this is also the reason why I preordered - postrelease support) it will be too late. reviews will be already written and fuzz around the patches is not that great as the release-date fuzz... e.g. Demigod.

August 26, 2010 4:46:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Viperderby,
I didn't read through all 200+ replies to this thread, so forgive me if this has already been said:  The following quote from PC Gamer is hard to dispute:  "But putting junk like this in a box and charging money for it is not okay, however rapidly you try and patch it afterwards. It punishes you for being a fan, it punishes you for buying on day one, it punishes you for pre-ordering, and it punishes you for having faith that a great company like Stardock wouldn’t ask you to pay for a game until it’s fit to be played." (Except for the "junk" adjective.  "Junk" has no potential, IMO, but Elemental obviously does.)

Valid comment.  However, I still really like the game, and was pretty dissatisfied with the initial launch - I'm sticking with it, as are most of us. 

The problem is,  as has been mentioned before,  they maintain a double standard.  The total war series has consistently required patching beyond initial release to be playable,  yet they gave it good marks.  Here they bash the game.  Heck,  in Medivial 2 your cavalry would wander off just before striking the enemy in a charge,  gotta love a game centered on cavalry and the cavalry was completely broken.

It's *really* no surprise,  if you've been around for awhile.  15 years ago there was a game called Ascendency,  it was a Master of Orion clone.  It was absolutely horrible,  but PCGamer gave it great marks.  Turns out,  little while later,  people discovered that PCG let the author of Ascendency's strategy guide write the review,  big surprise,  he gave a great review.  I've never touched PCG since,  as it shows clearly what their integrity is like.

So yeah,  I dispute it,  on the grounds that they clearly maintain a double standard.  Especially since one of their primary complaints is hardware related,  which means it's PCG's problem.  Not Stardocks.

Quoting Tridus,

Quoting surlybob,
reply 200

Quoting jochance, reply 199Sigh... I agree with the essence of your post that gaming reviews are a total farce, but I really wish people would stop spewing this particular line of ignorance. Failing to frame limit is not the most optimal thing to do... You certainly don't "need" that umph for a menu. Still, this equates to "using hardware at 100% of it's potential caused it to fail". That is not a software flaw no matter how you spin it. Any card that would have killed was on its death bed whether people realized it or not. Sure... it helped it find the light sooner than it would've otherwise. So would a marathon of just about any graphics intensive game.If it wasn't a bug, then why did Blizzard patch it? By your reasoning, they should have just said what you said. People lost brand new graphics cards to this "not-a-bug".

Because their customers were complaining. Much like a lot of Elemental's crash issues are actually confirmed ATI driver problems, but Stardock has to deal with them anyway (and half my job these days is working around odd Microsoft or Oracle bugs).

By definition using hardware at it's full capacity is not a bug. It's faulty hardware design if doing so causes it to fail. But people would rather Blizzard do something about it then go chase down a hardware manufacturer to fix their crap, since it's a lot easier for Blizzard to fix it.

This is why I won't touch an ATI card,  every time I turn around there's driver problems.

But as far as Blizzard goes,  I'm kinda on the fence about that one.  On one hand I can understand that they did something which resulted in hardware failure.  But OTOH,  what they did is no different that the workload that should result in playing the game.  100% hardware utilization should occur during gameplay,  so if those cards failed,  they failed because of inadequate cooling,  and were destined for death. 

August 26, 2010 4:57:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting krejci,

Quoting Sethfc, reply 236I don't understand all of the people here. I apologize but i have never suffered through any issues or glitches. Only one time on the pre patched preorder version of the game *the day before release* did it crash. After the release. Not once. And no errors loading. had some slowdowns but otherwise i've had no issues.

I am fine, thus everyone else must be fine, right?

I personally have experienced just one crash in roughly 3 hours of play, so crashes are not a real issue with me, but at least I can understand how agonizing they must be

Yet, I have to somehow agree with PC Gamer (although I really dont care about them and their opinions at all, and as someone said, they gave 91% to Spore...)

Stardock simply failed to meet their own self-made standards. They indeed released the game in very problematic state and I really expected more. The game feel so ... unpolished. As someone mentioned - missing path trails for units movements are nice example of those little things which are people used to and they do not realize effort invested in those. But once they are not in there, game feels different, people not even being able to say what is wrong.

Another example - I tried to use lower land on a landbridge connecting two continents (2 tiles wide). Didnt allow me. No explanation why, no popup given, nothing. Just red square... Ok, probably it is ment just to lower mountains, not create the sea, I figgured out. So I tried raise land. Great, got green squares, clicked, got some particle animation and voila - nothing happened. Mana gone. Tried again,  nothing happened, now I am out of mana. Probably it is not allowed to have mountains next to sea. But why the game let me do that then? not even informing me of the risk?

That is what I call unpolished. There is huge amount of work to be done in this area.

I havent play game long enough to talk about balance, bu what I have encountered is that when using some spell (something like "weaken", dont remember the name), which is supposed to lower attack to half, the enemy started to completly miss the targets. So with that I can kill anything just with my few summons, since all their (counter)attacks miss. hmmm. (btw.  their attack number got into negative)

They really should have waited a little bit more. I know that all of that stuff above are just details (now I am not even talking about crashes). It really seems that someone got scared of Civ5. Well, now they indeed can be. Elemental is going to get lot of mixed opinions and I guess many people be put off by them and will wait for Civ. And In a month, two or three, when Elemental will get into proper shape (something, we can be absolutly sure that SD will do, this is also the reason why I preordered - postrelease support) it will be too late. reviews will be already written and fuzz around the patches is not that great as the release-date fuzz... e.g. Demigod.

I'm afraid I have to agree, I was inclined to put my faith in Stardock, and expect that the launch day patch would provide me with an experience free of the bugs that have haunted me since Beta 2. I was sadly mistaken, despite the fact that we were assured that this was all -more- than addressed and that all our concerns weren't valid, that clearly wasn't the case.

Star Trek Online kept more of its promises for it's launch day patch.

August 26, 2010 7:56:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cryptomancer,

Quoting I Intrude,
reply 30
I don't see that article as overly harsh in any way at all.  Most of what he said is true. [...]

Sincerely, A loyal but concerned Stardock customer.

Not "harsh in any way at all" ?! What about the following passage, in the PC Gamer article ?

" But putting junk like this in a box and charging money for it is not okay, however rapidly you try and patch it afterwards. It punishes you for being a fan, it punishes you for buying on day one, it punishes you for pre-ordering, and it punishes you for having faith that a great company like Stardock wouldn’t ask you to pay for a game until it’s fit to be played. " 

"Junk" ?!

For the past 5 days, I have played many hours of versions 1.00 & 1.01 & 1.05.016 (today) : I really had the impression of playing a post-beta, release-worthy game. It was highly polished, albeit imperfect, product.

The fact that, in those 3 versions, there were (and still are) bugs, causes of crashes, incomplete features, is nothing special -- in the gaming industry (without trying to make excuses).

I read, somewhere on the forum, that Stardock had to execute a retail release of the game in August because retail-store shelf-place -- which has to be booked in advance, in the case of major retail outlets -- would only be available in August 2010 or February 2011. We must take into account that Stardock does not have the commercial clout of Blizzard and Ubisoft. Consequently, Stardock products must not be rated with a high-priority status by major retailers. If what was posted on the forum is true, delaying the release of the game for another 6 months would have deprived Stardock of non-Impulse, retail revenues.

Of course, some will state that the August-released, CD-format, version 1.00 really is a "beta". But is it "junk" ?

Some of us disagree : version 1.00 is a quality, release-worthy version -- despite the normal-for-the-industry bugs. Stardock's intense hard-work, for the past 3 weeks (and late last night), to fix and upgrade the game way beyond version 1.00 has shown an extremely rare diligence.

When the PC Gamer author wrote "junk like this", he employed a type of irresponsible and harshly unfair language which should not be tossed by serious commentators -- who are in a position to know better. Fanning the flames with provocative language has become a reckless media tactic to boost readership (and viewership -- hello FOX News).

I was agreeing with you up until your FOX News comment. HELLO CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC are nothing but liberal propaganda rags. They wouldn't know real news if it hit them in the face. And no I'm not a conservative. There is a reason FOX news has higher ratings than all the other stations I listed. People (Conservative, Moderate, and some real liberals (we are a dying bred) are sick of being lied to.

August 26, 2010 8:01:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Bellack,

I was agreeing with you up until your FOX News comment. HELLO CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC are nothing but liberal propaganda rags. They wouldn't know real news if it hit them in the face. And no I'm not a conservative. There is a reason FOX news has higher ratings than all the other stations I listed. People (Conservative, Moderate, and some real liberals (we are a dying bred) are sick of being lied to.

It's pretty easy to get higher ratings when the other networks are competing for one group and you target another.

August 26, 2010 8:03:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jaythewise,
I have yet to see any bug other then the ALT tab crash.

But man the AI is bad, really really bad. If any AI city is near me I just waltz right in and take over as they do not have much D. The AI is very docile as well. Although I have seen a few AI controled factions get conquered by other AI factions.

Last night I was playing on Normal setting. And My Sovereign was out with Janak (Who I remamed) and two archer units just gathering loot and killing monsters that get in our way. When all the sudden I get this warning that I'm being attacked, not by another Faction but by a independant (or what ever they are called in this game) unit. This has never happened to me before in this game from Beta 3 to now. Usally the monster just sit there waiting for me or another Faction to slaughter them. I was actully excited. Now if they would only attack my unguarded cities then that would be sweet.

August 26, 2010 8:05:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The more I play the more I convinced the game is unplayable and more I like it.

Paradox? No, Greatest strategy game of the decade, but bugs kill all the fun. So article has a point. StarDock brought it on iteslf by releasing unfinished and untested game. Great game however.

August 26, 2010 8:14:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was agreeing with you up until your FOX News comment. HELLO CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC are nothing but liberal propaganda rags. They wouldn't know real news if it hit them in the face.

*ROFL* FOX "News" isn't news at all. It's opiniotainment. That's why on my agenda the station is called FOX Opiniotainment.

August 26, 2010 8:20:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting shadowtongue,

Quoting Rune_74,
reply 226

Quoting Birdmon, reply 224I am sick and tired of spending my hard earned money on UNFINSHED games. I will NOT buy this game. We keep accepting unfinshed product as "ok"  - because they all do it. Well it stops now for me. Good Luck fools

Nah, he registered here just like you, so evidently you two have roughly the same level of opinion.

Or, take a dose of your own medicine and don't feel the need to add more useless rebuttals to the initially useless posts.

And what did you add to the topic bucko? You just followed in the same footsteps you claim they did. lmao So now your post is useless thus making mine useless and the next bloke to jump in and act the fool. lmao

August 26, 2010 8:23:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Lord KiRon,
The more I play the more I convinced the game is unplayable and more I like it.

Paradox? No, Greatest strategy game of the decade, but bugs kill all the fun. So article has a point. StarDock brought it on iteslf by releasing unfinished and untested game. Great game however.

Hey if you had read Brads comments long before the game release he said "The game will NEVER BE FINISHED". But, your comment that it was untested is fail and wrong of course. That it is a great game is correct though.

August 26, 2010 8:37:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting rossanderson48,

Hey if you had read Brads comments long before the game release he said "The game will NEVER BE FINISHED". But, your comment that it was untested is fail and wrong of course. That it is a great game is correct though.

The game was untested. I'm a beta tester and I haven't seen most of this stuff cobbled together for the last minute release. You can't flesh out a whole game, AND test it 'in house' in a month. I suspected that would be impossible, and it clearly was. But make no mistake, no beta tester saw this game.

August 26, 2010 8:39:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It depends on what you mean by "finished". If you mean it will always frequently crash and exhibit all other bugs (double building, stuck in combat, resources you can't click on, "stuck" quests especially in campaign, particle effects and sounds that disappear , ... the list goes on and on even with 1.05) then I guess I will have to join this morons that cry for refund.

However I hope that Brad meant a bit different thing and most of the most annoying bugs will be fixed within couple of weeks. However until then I tend to agree with PCGamer article AT THIS POINT the game is disaster from the consumer point of view.

Fix the bugs and it will be best game of the year at least, but please DO fix the bugs.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time: