How do I build a damn farm?!

By on August 24, 2010 12:54:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Somaed

Join Date 04/2003
+1

I cant figure out for the life of me how to build a farm on fertile land thats right beside my city.  I see NPCs that have farms, even mines and such and I cant even figure out how to build mines, or farms, or even on those lost libraries even though they're all in my area of influence.

Locked Post 29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 24, 2010 12:58:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Click on the fertile land, bottom left action bar will have a picture of a scroll and a hammer. Hammer should build the farm, or whatever depending on the resource you clicked on.

August 24, 2010 1:02:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Click the fertile land tile then click the icon that looks like a scroll to build the farm.

August 24, 2010 1:03:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm seeing a trend here...  I bet this is going to be #1 on the FAQ for new players.

I appreciate trying something different but it's really counter-intuitive to people who've played CIV games.

August 24, 2010 1:03:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's outside the town, so you can't use the town build queue.

August 24, 2010 1:09:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Gravedancer,
I'm seeing a trend here...  I bet this is going to be #1 on the FAQ for new players.

I appreciate trying something different but it's really counter-intuitive to people who've played CIV games.

Civ uses an extra unit to go out to the tile and build on it, that's not much different from just clicking on it and building instead. Neither case has you building on them from the city itself.

August 24, 2010 1:09:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess the most intuitive system would be to have a separate Resources window where you can build a new farm / mine / library if you have any untapped resources within your area of influence. Kind of like a city build menu, where you have all the resource improvements listed and the ones you don't have any free resources of are greyed out.

August 24, 2010 1:11:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy mentioned they changed the GUI in the day0 update to a more intuitive way. I think this will include this "issue" here.

August 24, 2010 1:14:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It took me half an hour to figure this out myself. Besides farms, the same process applies to mines, lumber mills, harvesting shards, etc.

This stuff should really be accessible through the city screen as well - hope that's part of the UI polish.

August 24, 2010 1:17:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
I guess the most intuitive system would be to have a separate Resources window where you can build a new farm / mine / library if you have any untapped resources within your area of influence. Kind of like a city build menu, where you have all the resource improvements listed and the ones you don't have any free resources of are greyed out.

Good idea. Kind like in Sins.

August 24, 2010 1:19:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah this was especially headdesking considering I played Beta's 1 and 2 and it was part of the city construction screen then as well.

I notice that gardens went the way of the dodo as well.

August 24, 2010 1:27:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The only way I knew how to build a farms was by watching the recent videos.  I recommend watching them as they're the only resource I've seen that sort of covers some basics (they skip over just about everything but if you watch closely you might get some ideas).  Until recently farms were built like any other buildings, so it wasn't as mysterious!

What's even more sexy is you'll probably play 3-4x before you realize new resources magically appear in your borders that you might notice that you improve the same way.  Or your influence expands and you get new stuff to improve.  You kinda have to manually investigate your cities periodically and hover over any suspicious looking landscape to figure out what you can improve most of the time.  I imagine you get used to it eventually but it's a little clunky in the beginning.

August 24, 2010 1:32:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Voqar,
The only way I knew how to build a farms was by watching the recent videos.  I recommend watching them as they're the only resource I've seen that sort of covers some basics (they skip over just about everything but if you watch closely you might get some ideas).  Until recently farms were built like any other buildings, so it wasn't as mysterious!

What's even more sexy is you'll probably play 3-4x before you realize new resources magically appear in your borders that you might notice that you improve the same way.  Or your influence expands and you get new stuff to improve.  You kinda have to manually investigate your cities periodically and hover over any suspicious looking landscape to figure out what you can improve most of the time.  I imagine you get used to it eventually but it's a little clunky in the beginning.

The adventuring tree uncovers those resources, they're really easy to spot using the cloth map instead of the 3d one as well.

August 24, 2010 1:40:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The adventuring tree uncovers those resources, they're really easy to spot using the cloth map instead of the 3d one as well.

It would be nice to have a pop-up that said "Due to your research new resources have been discovered in your realm".  Instead of having to mouse over everything on every turn to see it there is something new.

August 24, 2010 1:47:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This reminds me of the Age of Wonders question "how do I got off my boat?" and if I remember right that question was #1 in some of the FAQ for that game.

I'm looking forward to todays patch, hopefully it clears up the building on resources. If not we need a FAQ now.

August 24, 2010 1:48:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,

It would be nice to have a pop-up that said "Due to your research new resources have been discovered in your realm".  Instead of having to mouse over everything on every turn to see it there is something new.

Well it tells you in the description of the tech you picked with your breakthrough.

August 24, 2010 1:49:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah I actually researched those techs kinda late game in one play through and had gathered so many extra resources that at one point I was generating around 100 gold a turn, the game didn't last long after that.

August 24, 2010 1:52:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still don't understand the devs irrationnal dislike for a good old-fashioned tutorial scenario with pop-ups explaining the basic mechanisms: "left-click on this!", "If x number is in red, that means you need more materials to build" and so on...

Sometimes, the old and tried methods are the best ones.

August 28, 2010 2:39:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow...I sure am glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure out the farm thing.  (Guess I shoulda played the beta more...)

August 28, 2010 3:18:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It goes down to the basic problem with the game's documentation. There really isnt any. This was a major FUBAR decision on SD's part. There are a lot of bugs in the game but having piss-poor documentation and an un-intuitive UI probably feeds into the whole unprofessional appearance to the release.

I too couldnt figure out for the life of me (until 1.05) how to make a farm; or that (or how) to equip my hero with a weapon to keep them from getting1-shotted at the start. These are basic, very basic things and they are NOT explained at all. The 35 page manual was waste of time, money and paper, they really needed (for a game like this) to have FAR better documentation. Sigh,, I remember the glory days of thick (somd spiral bound) manuals with games like CiV2, MOO/MOO2, or the Total war series with their tutorials. Hell, I found Europa Universalis and HOI with all their complexity to be better documented AND more intuitive than EWOM, which is decidedly less complex.   

RAT

August 28, 2010 3:23:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Gravedancer,

It is almost like we should have had a tutorial or a flag or some sort of bright colored pointers ...  interesting concept.  Maybe we should have had one?

Quoting Weidbrewer,
Wow...I sure am glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure out the farm thing.  (Guess I shoulda played the beta more...)

I had the same problem... i was dominating this one computer last night by turn 200 or so... then he started to put the hurt on me...  and I could not figure out why his cities were level 5 and 4 and 5 while both of mine had more minerals and fertile lands and level 1 on both....  until I read this on a nother post.... only if the game some how told me this and showed it to me as well....   oh well... who knows maybe there will be a Youtube fan based tutorial.  So far, I hope the FANS help me out.  SD, i just hope you fix the bugs and the AI and add more techs and maybe add wonders... and get rid of the multiple queue system and make it harder and longer to construct buildings.

August 28, 2010 5:47:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The only issue with making it a part of the city screen is that how a resource is built depends on if it's within the city limits (it's surrounded by the wall). If it's a part of the city, it will take up space and use the city queue. If it's outside, it will use it's own queue independent of the city.

August 28, 2010 5:58:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SqueekyRat,
It goes down to the basic problem with the game's documentation. There really isnt any. This was a major FUBAR decision on SD's part. There are a lot of bugs in the game but having piss-poor documentation and an un-intuitive UI probably feeds into the whole unprofessional appearance to the release.

I too couldnt figure out for the life of me (until 1.05) how to make a farm; or that (or how) to equip my hero with a weapon to keep them from getting1-shotted at the start. These are basic, very basic things and they are NOT explained at all. The 35 page manual was waste of time, money and paper, they really needed (for a game like this) to have FAR better documentation. Sigh,, I remember the glory days of thick (somd spiral bound) manuals with games like CiV2, MOO/MOO2, or the Total war series with their tutorials. Hell, I found Europa Universalis and HOI with all their complexity to be better documented AND more intuitive than EWOM, which is decidedly less complex.   

RAT

If you couldnt understand how to make a farm then I dont know if this is your type of game dude. Not trying to be rude just being honest here.

Took me a day or two to learn most the game, but when you learn these things it feels very rewarding.

The game doesnt hold you by the hand or explain everything. Its more of a Learn yourself type of game which is fine by me but I can see how some people would feel lost. The first day I felt lost but now its all pretty straight forward once ive learned.

August 28, 2010 5:59:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i got the construction of farms after a while; i had a click around everything in the first tutorial mission (though i wasted a lot of time trying to get the farmer npc to move there, thinking that was it.

but honestly, i know resources aren't within the city, but i don't see why that stops you from putting the option to build on them in the nearest city's improvements list.

does it?

March 6, 2011 8:21:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It seems to me like the real problem here is that there is no tutorial campaign that teaches you how to play the game.  WHat's up with that?  I just want to learn how to play so that I know what I'm doing

March 6, 2011 8:25:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Xyden,
It seems to me like the real problem here is that there is no tutorial campaign that teaches you how to play the game.  WHat's up with that?  I just want to learn how to play so that I know what I'm doing

It's because the game is drastically different than what it was as release. Agreed they need this for new players but they've been focused on stability recently such as memory and graphics crashes.

I recommend updating to patch 1.11 or even 1.19e so you have the most current version of the game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001828   Page Render Time: