Low graphical performance over various 3D objects from the map

By on August 23, 2010 2:43:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gnoupi

Join Date 04/2008
+1

I actually noticed this during beta 4, but it was the first time I noticed buildings, on my new laptop, so I thought they just needed some optimizing, which would be done for the release.

I get a constant max framerate (limited to 90 in my case, for example) over all the map, on a bare ground, units for example are ok. But as soon as a small 3D object enters the field, it decreases. A tree in the corner? 45 fps. A city (not a big one, just the first settlement) visible? 15 fps.

I tried to change the various settings, deactivated soft lighting, AA, shadows, resolution, it's still doing the same. It works good on the cloth map, without a problem, though, as there are no such elements.

Now I would understand such thing on my older laptop, but I'm surprised to see this on the new one. Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

So I'm guessing there is somehow a problem with drivers (though latest ones from ATI), or at least some incompatibility somewhere. Because the objects are nice, the cell shading effect too, but it's hardly something to bring this computer to its knees.

ps: I understand that a game like this doesn't need to run at 90fps. But 15-20 is actually unpleasant on the long term.

Edit: To make a complete (more or less) analysis, I tried at a high and low configuration, similar effects:

LOW Settings:

- Video Configuration

- Over a city: 20 fps

- Without objects: 138 fps 

HIGH Settings:

High settings - city

- Video Configuration

- Over a city: 18 fps

- Without objects: 80 fps

So it doesn't seem to be related to the video settings. I also tried windowed, same.

It is really related to these 3D objects, as shown by these two other screenshots:

- Full zoom, empty ground: 99 fps

- Same place, just a bit higher to have one tree in the view: 29 fps

So far, the only thing which seems to improve performance is to force the game to run only on one core (physical one, so two virtual cores on Core i3/5/7), as suggested by thebigJ_A in this answer.

It should be the other way around, clearly, so maybe it's giving a hint on where the problem could be. Note that this doesn't solve the performance problem, there is still a big decrease on framerate when passing on cities, but less than when the game is authorized to run on all cores. I noticed however that doing this since the 1.05 version makes the sound choppy, probably because it was expecting to run on a different core to begin with.

432 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 23, 2010 2:46:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I get the exact same thing. Performance is far from ideal. I'm getting something like 20fps while over top of a simple (level 2) city.

Core Duo @ 3.0ghz - nvidia gtx 260

August 23, 2010 3:50:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same for me... zoomed in or on the cloth map is fine, so is tactical battles... but zoomed out 3D map I get between 10-15 fps

Core 2 Duo E6400 2.2GHz

NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT 1GB

2GB DDR-800 RAM

Windows XP 32

August 23, 2010 4:00:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same here as well:

Core 2 Duo 8400 @ 4.0GHZ

ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB RAM

8GB DDRAM

Windows 7 PRO x64

August 23, 2010 4:15:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same here. Great FPS everywhere, except when there are 3D objects in the screen. Especially cities. Thought it was due to my low-mid end laptop, but the same problem seems to appear with you guys. This leads me to hope that it might get optimized.

Intel Core2Duo 2.1ghz (x2)

ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 1024MB

4gig RAM

64bit Windows 7

August 23, 2010 4:47:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same here It's mostly fine in the beginning with not so much stuff on the map, but when the cities get bigger and the game progresses it becomes completely unplayable. I'm talking FPS less than one Cloth map works fine. I've turned all the graphic settings as low as they can go, makes no difference. Kinda disappointing, I was under the impression that it would work well even on low end machines.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400

2GB Ram

Radeon 5770HD

WinXP 32bit

August 23, 2010 5:21:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do okay until my second improved shard pops up. After that, Elemental decides to chug.

August 23, 2010 6:13:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What settings do you have enabled on the Elemental Video options tab?

Also what resolution are you playing at?

August 23, 2010 6:54:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Intel Core2Duo 2.1ghz (x2)

ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 1024MB

4gig RAM

64bit Windows 7

I'm playing at a resolution of 1440x900. Graphical settings do not appear to matter, no matter the settings. No problems in cloth map. Shadows are off.

August 23, 2010 7:09:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I switched from 1920x1080 fulscreen to 1360x768 windowed, and now it's playable, but just barely. FPS around 10-20. I have no shadows, no anti-aliasing, no depth of field, no particle effects, texture atlas size 1024x512, mip maps on default and no stylized lightning. Font smoothing is on because text becomes unreadable otherwise. Game looks like crap now and spell effects are invisible, but at least I can play.

August 23, 2010 7:17:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

To make a complete (more or less) analysis, I tried at a high and low configuration, similar effects:

LOW Settings:

- Video Configuration

- Over a city: 20 fps

- Without objects: 138 fps 

HIGH Settings:

High settings - city

- Video Configuration

- Over a city: 18 fps

- Without objects: 80 fps

So it doesn't seem to be related to the video settings. I also tried windowed, same.

@SuperTimo - if you really want to play it smooth, I recommend you switch to "Cloth map only", in gameplay options, for now. You won't have 3D effects, but at least it will be smooth without hurting the eye

August 23, 2010 7:23:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Full screen, 1920 * 1200 resolution. Depth of field on, anti aliasing 4x. Low res shadows. Normal ground cover. advanced lighting @ 60.

If it's any indication from the beta, performance doesn't increase with a resolution drop. Also, I've said this many times: from the beta, it was only using 1 of my cores.

August 23, 2010 7:29:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i notice all have core2duo

also i have that processor and huge drop in performance after a bit in the game

August 23, 2010 7:34:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,
Also, I've said this many times: from the beta, it was only using 1 of my cores.

Not every program is multithreaded, so it's probably normal.

Quoting ddd888,

I have a Core i7.

August 23, 2010 8:11:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same problem playing at 1680x1050 default setting but changing them does not seem to matter much. Cities and some objects bring me down to 15-20 fps.

C2D 8400

Radeon 4870 1GB

4GB Ram

WinXP 32bit

August 23, 2010 8:12:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs) (on WinXP), Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset graphics card, WinXP. The game is fast at the beginning, after a minute or two it is slow as hell (the response time is seconds). I don't know, if this is this issue, but the game is not playable on this machine.

August 23, 2010 8:52:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm using the cloth map only now, it's fine and fun to play But hopefully the 3D performance will be tweaked a bit in the future.

August 23, 2010 10:02:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ddd888,

It's not exclusive to the core2duo.  I have an Athlon XP 2600+ (yeah, I know), and I'm experiencing similar slowdowns: around 30 FPS with no objects on-screen down to 8 FPS when looking at a city.  I get a pretty steady 25 FPS in the cloth map, so I'll probably stick with that for the time being.

This reminds me of when Sins of a Solar Empire was released: it would chug a bit on my machine, but then after a few patches it became smooth as silk.  I hope the same holds true for Elemental.

August 23, 2010 10:15:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same thing here. 

Win 7 64

4GB RAM

i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz

ATI 5800 2GB Graphics Card

I am running at 1680x1050, both fullscreen and windowed have the same issues.

AA 2x

1024x512 Map Texture

Default MipMap

High Res Shadows

Overgrown 10x

Proportional

When I first start playing I am getting 200-300 fps.  Then as soon as I build my 1st town, it isn't even finished it just now appeared on the map, my FPS drops to 20-30, and only gets worse.

Is a DXDIAG needed?

August 23, 2010 12:25:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gnoupi,

Not every program is multithreaded, so it's probably normal.

Please, that would have been acceptable if this game was released... 6 years ago. Today to release a game (based on a brand new engine) in a market where dual core, quad core and now, 6 core processors are the standard?

That is either a massive oversight, OR, something is going wrong.

August 23, 2010 12:48:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Please, that would have been acceptable if this game was released... 6 years ago. Today to release a game (based on a brand new engine) in a market where dual core, quad core and now, 6 core processors are the standard?

That is either a massive oversight, OR, something is going wrong.

In a turn based game, you hardly need multithreading, that's all. You might use it to calculate AI actions when passing turn, but that's nearly all. Rest of the time, the most work is with graphics, and there is nothing really to use multithreading on. It's not a shooter game or a real time strategy, multithreading wouldn't increase your fps.

Not the topic anyway.

August 23, 2010 12:52:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is your anti-aliasing level set to?

August 23, 2010 12:55:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I'm not the OP, but mine is turned off. No matter the settings though, the problem persists. Thanks for listening to the problem!

August 23, 2010 12:58:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AA level doesn't really  effect my performance...

When I took that screenshot above, it was at 2x AA... lowering to zero might increase the fps by 1 or 2....

Again... framerate is fine in tactical battles, on the cloth map, or on the 3D map where there's no animated objects (such as cities)... but zoom out and all the animation kills the framerate...

August 23, 2010 1:08:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It has no influence on what I tried:  no AA in low settings, and 2x in high (could have put more, I see now).

August 23, 2010 1:27:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have the same problems. AA off. It feels like my system doesn't have the graphics "power" to render cities.

Frogboy, for reference, what kind of systems does Stardock use internally to play? How is performance? What are framerates viewing an average city, and a large city?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000797   Page Render Time: