Spellbook is disappointing

By on August 23, 2010 12:39:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

delijoe79

Join Date 02/2006
+5

While I know that we're going to see content updates in the future and I know that it's fairly easy to mod them in, I'm rather dissapointed at the spellbook at launch.  It's not big enough for one thing... I count like 60 or so spells.  There's not that much spell variety either.  It's really nowhere near MOM in terms of that and while in time I'm sure it will, I was hoping it would be close, but I guess not..

Locked Post 38 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 23, 2010 12:47:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm very upset there aren't more dinosaurs. I guess they just don't care about their customers enough to put them in. Oh well...

August 23, 2010 12:49:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As long as it's 60 useful and significant spells, then it'll be enough.

Just think about how many useless spells there were in MoM - spells you never even bothered to use. If it's 60 spells along the line of healing, web and phantom warriors it'll be just fine.

August 23, 2010 12:51:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Only sixty? I think one may reach a point where they run out of spell ideas. Agreed with above poster.

What would be some good spell additions that they should add?

August 23, 2010 1:10:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I personally like to have a lot of choices...

Yes alot of MOM spells were useless, but there were WAY more then 60 spells in MOM that were useful...

Also, this game needs global enchantments...

August 23, 2010 1:19:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kuriostone,
I'm very upset there aren't more dinosaurs. I guess they just don't care about their customers enough to put them in. Oh well...

The game isn't about dinosaurs. Nice job at making a completely nonsensical remark.

60 spells is saddening. I would have expected 20 - 30 per spell book.

August 23, 2010 1:25:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It does need ALOT more spells.  MoM had alot of useless ones but it had alot of flavor.  To me, fireball, electric ball, ice ball, and earthball are all the same thing.  When spells are just copies with different graphics it's boring. 

If you are going to have an equivalent in each tree they should still be different. For example lets say a spell that adds a defensive wall to a city.

Firewall does damage to melee units attacking city.  Wind wall blocks enemy archers from firing.  Water wall slows down enemy units, especially siege.  Earth wall can greatly increase the defense of guarding units.    It's a lame example but illustrates what I think is a big problem right now. 

August 23, 2010 2:23:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Folcik009,
Only sixty? I think one may reach a point where they run out of spell ideas. Agreed with above poster.

What would be some good spell additions that they should add?

They already have judging by the spellbook. So far it's the same as the beta with some spell levels shifted around, and has the same problem - there's no real benefit to taking more than one elemental book because the spells are virtually carbon copies of each other with only the graphical effect being different.

To be honest it doesn't necessarily need to be different spells, you could distinguish them simply by changing the standard spells, i.e. fire does more direct damage, but the AoE spells have a smaller area; Water does less direct damage but the AoE spells have a larger area. I mean more and more varied effects would be nice, but really *anything* to give me a reason to prefer say lightning over flame dart beyond graphical effect preference is kinda essential.

August 23, 2010 2:42:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please don't take this the wrong way.

You should give them some ideas on the spells you would like to see in the game instead of just stating there aren't enough. 

August 23, 2010 2:47:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Aliandrix,
Please don't take this the wrong way.

You should give them some ideas on the spells you would like to see in the game instead of just stating there aren't enough. 

Im pretty sure there was a thread during beta with several hundred. They just got lazy and needed to push it out the door.

August 23, 2010 2:52:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There was a huge thread requesting spell ideas... apparently nothing from that thread was implemented yet...

August 23, 2010 3:02:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting endofdayz,

Quoting Aliandrix, reply 8Please don't take this the wrong way.

Im pretty sure there was a thread during beta with several hundred. They just got lazy and needed to push it out the door.
A bare concept of a spell is not enough to implement a spell solidly and usefully in game.

August 23, 2010 3:05:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
spell is not enough to implement a spell solidly and usefully in game.

They were not "bare concepts". We were asked to specify book type, shard relations, what the spell did, how much mana it used, etc.

August 23, 2010 3:08:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If all the spells are carbon copies of each other, That is a bit dissapointing. I guess i will just pick one and charge after all the shards for that particular element. You could make it so water has a lot of healing, Earth is defensive, Fire is offensive and Air is the special attacks (Catch the reference to an epic PS2 game and you get free karma)

August 23, 2010 3:09:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

60 spells in pretty on par with most standard game releases these days.

I mean more is always nice and content, content, content and all that... But it's something they have promised to expand on (And the community will to with the mod tools) so I'm not too worried.

August 23, 2010 3:21:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting endofdayz,

With the speed they finished this game during summer please don't say they were lazy. Sacrifices in the specification and features have to be made in every commercially developed product, or it would never be finished.

I'm also hoping more spells will be added later, though.

August 23, 2010 3:40:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why all sovereings have all spellbocks?

August 23, 2010 3:42:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well if you divide spells into classes. Fire, earth, holy, etc. Its easier to create super unique spells. MoM did have alot but they all felt unique i guess b/c you couldnt collect them all.

I agree 60 is ALOT. But there could be lots more and still be unique.

Whatever thats what modding is for.

August 23, 2010 3:53:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting endofdayz,
They just got lazy and needed to push it out the door.

60 spells sounds great to start, although I too like the idea of more 'differencing' between different elemental/shard schools of effect [water vs fire vs air vs earth].

I'm sure there will be other features that didn't make base that we wish had [as in other games] - perhaps some even due to their attempt to push it out the door make the [well actually even before the] promised delivery date.

But I'm expecting Elemental to continue to improve and expand. Stardock has shown amazing commitment to continue developing and evolving it's games after release, has a great modder community that exists for their games, and if I recall correctly will even offer tools to make your own spells [for the non-"lazy"].

From watching the forums I'd say the team has been working bloody hard to make the release on [well actually before] delivery date.. But perhaps you have some insider knowledge to support your defamation of calling them "lazy". Perhaps you also haven't been as lazy and have developed a comparable game - perhaps with every users suggestion already included in base? Or perhaps your manners are simply lacking. Whatever the/your issue, I hope you enjoy the game. I sure plan to.

Cheers.

August 23, 2010 3:55:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mornick,
As long as it's 60 useful and significant spells, then it'll be enough.

Just think about how many useless spells there were in MoM - spells you never even bothered to use. If it's 60 spells along the line of healing, web and phantom warriors it'll be just fine.

Did they put in Lycanthropes? The game must have regenerating Lycanthropes (in case you don't know what Lycanthropes are they are Werewolves). I remember in MOM using the weakest cheapest unit spearmen to make my stack of Lycanthropes. As long as one lycanthrope of the stack survived the whole stack came back to life. I hope they fixed this exploit if they used the lycanthrope spell. The upkeep should be much higher too because it was easy to field a stack of werewolves. It's almost like the werewolves were count Dracula or something with the full regeneration of the stack and all.

August 23, 2010 4:00:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

to each his own. im more a sword guy than a magic fan. but if someone would have asked me, i'd have said maybe 20 spells. 60 sounds like A LOT to a nub like me.

August 23, 2010 4:02:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Donegal77,
Why all sovereings have all spellbocks?

oh again like this? i didnt try yet but still all spellbooks for everyone?

btw is this day 0 or still gold?

August 23, 2010 4:03:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My list of must spells that I remember from MOM:

1. Counter Magic

2. Lycanthropes

3. Summon Ghouls

4. Summon Shadow Beasts

5. Summon Shadow Lords

6. Summon Hell Hounds

7. Flying

8. Water Walking

9. Sleep

10. Shadow Wall

11. Fire Wall

12. Floating Island

13. Flaming Sword

14. Summon Ghost

15. Drain Energy

15. Summon Phantom Warriors

16. Summon Bears

17-infinity Summoning just about anything especially Summon Demons and Binding spells to control them.

August 23, 2010 4:03:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bagglewag25t,
to each his own. im more a sword guy than a magic fan. but if someone would have asked me, i'd have said maybe 20 spells. 60 sounds like A LOT to a nub like me.

yeah the number doesnt matter

what matters is the variety of the effects they do

August 23, 2010 4:14:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting endofdayz,

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to Elemental for the last year.  Stardock has been anything BUT lazy.

August 23, 2010 6:07:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jharii,

Quoting endofdayz, reply 9

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention to Elemental for the last year.  Stardock has been anything BUT lazy.

But they did push it out the door. The list of things that are MIA and coming later is surprisingly large.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000454   Page Render Time: