Flying Units

By on August 18, 2010 11:19:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

podracer691

Join Date 04/2003

I read that that flying units do not exist.  For example, a player could wall off his or her castle with volcano spells and units cannot fly over the volcanos.  If this is true, it should be reconsidered for a fantasy game.  I could not have imagined playing Master of Magic without flying units. 

To further add to my confusion, I have seen screen shots with dragon units. Don't they fly and why can't they fly over volcanos conjured by volcano spells?  Please explain.  Thanks so much.

Locked Post 39 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 18, 2010 11:32:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are flying creature, but there aren't flying units in the sense that you can't build a massive army of knights on flying horses or whatever. They are rare and hard to come by, but they will exist.

August 19, 2010 12:09:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sure standard units can't fly over mountains, but that's why we have a lower land spell!

August 19, 2010 12:36:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What about a flight spell?  Master of Magic had a flight enchantment.  This game will be extremely unrealistic without one (even for a fantasy game).

August 19, 2010 12:47:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting podracer691,
This game will be extremely unrealistic

August 19, 2010 12:49:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting podracer691,
What about a flight spell?  Master of Magic had a flight enchantment.  This game will be extremely unrealistic without one (even for a fantasy game).
I know what you mean. Just the other day I was needing to get to work in a hurry, but there was too much traffic. So I just cast flight on my car and flew to work. Saved a lot of time.

August 19, 2010 1:01:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

IIRC flight is something we may see in an update / expansion ...

August 19, 2010 3:57:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting podracer691,
reply 3
This game will be extremely unrealistic

*nods vigorously*

August 19, 2010 4:24:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Master of Magic have not only Flying but also Swimming units; and in AoW was Floating units as I remember.

It's basic feature of unit - type of moving. Maybe it's too late to insert this concept in the game but maybe in Addons or Mods...

August 19, 2010 5:01:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Xommep,
Master of Magic have not only Flying but also Swimming units; and in AoW was Floating units as I remember.

It's basic feature of unit - type of moving. Maybe it's too late to insert this concept in the game but maybe in Addons or Mods...

Elves and dwarves are core races of almost all fantasy games - are you going to start demanding them as well? I'm not defending anyone, but you're grouping things like flying units in with standard features like keyboard support.

August 19, 2010 6:07:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frankly I too was taking it for granted (the presence of flying units I mean): it never even occurred to me that flying units might not be present.

Let's hope the expansion will include them, then

August 19, 2010 8:03:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well in my opinion, if flying units are implemented someday, they should at least be very rare, expensive, hard to come by and few in numbers.

I'm glad the game is unrealistic. I'd hate to drive my Sovereign to work every day with his horse on the highway and then have him sit in his office for 8 hours, only to have him drive back to home after the work all tired and then fall to bed.  

August 19, 2010 8:14:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting Xommep,
reply 8

Elves and dwarves are core races of almost all fantasy games - are you going to start demanding them as well? I'm not defending anyone, but you're grouping things like flying units in with standard features like keyboard support.

Flight should be in the game PERIOD. It is stupid that it is currently not in. Unless we can mod in flying units.  they should have the following movements in the game:  Walk, Flight, Float, Swim, Tunneling.

August 19, 2010 8:30:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,

Flight should be in the game PERIOD. It is stupid that it is currently not in.
Because you say so? I know of a few fantasy books in which there is no flying and they are fine. (neither teleport... poor mages having to walk for miles and more miles to reach their destiny!* )

Not everything is MoM, WoW, LotR or similars.

* monsters had eaten the horses

August 19, 2010 8:42:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Twohawks,
IIRC flight is something we may see in an update / expansion ...

has already hinted at a sea and water expansion. I can only hope that they will eventually put in an air expansion as well.  I was hoping they would do an expansion for each element.

August 19, 2010 9:09:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LoTR didn't really have much in terms of flying, either. They had the giant eagles that helped them out of a bind, but the majority of the story was without

August 19, 2010 9:38:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

LoTR didn't really have much in terms of flying, either. They had the giant eagles that helped them out of a bind, but the majority of the story was without
Well, LotR was included for that "No elves and dwarves?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!?" people.

August 19, 2010 9:43:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Me, I want hobbits.

August 19, 2010 10:31:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd really like to see flying units as some future update/expansion.

August 19, 2010 11:38:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Flying Units would be nice.

I suspect they will be added, either Stardock or through Mods.

But they should be costly, rare or both as they will be a large balance shift.

Lee

August 19, 2010 11:46:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Me, I want hobbits.

I want  Smurfs damn it...

August 20, 2010 5:13:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's perfectly fine if we have to pay (both user-side, for the expansion, AND in game for the units I mean ).

I'm just saying that at some point they really have to be in, imho.

August 21, 2010 7:49:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have no strong wish to put in flying units but it wouldn't be to difficult I imagine so we may see it in a future update. Not sure it really adds that much to the game though.

As for see going units I believe they are in already.

August 21, 2010 10:04:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The reason for no flying units is that as soon as you leave the ground your cut off from any Essence.  Decay and Corruption immediately start ruining your airborne unit.

As for Game Balance,  you need more missile capabilities plus Essence Spells that counter flight before you can allow Miss Hero and her flying UniPeg to go frolicking across the skies reigning Death and cute pink bunnies on all below.

August 21, 2010 10:22:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If the game has more races (as I always suggested), some of them can have flying units, or even all their units can be flying (like the Draconians in MoM) or swimming (like the Lizardmen in MoM and AoW1).

I like Elves and Dwarves, but I don't mean that they should be necessarily in the game. Instead of the "standard races" (or in addition to them) there can be also races "constructed" by the game developers. I just think the game needs more racial diversity.

August 21, 2010 10:24:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I DEMAND to know why you cannot recruit space ponies!  This is clearly game-breaking!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time: