Basic questions about elemental

By on August 17, 2010 11:53:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

burps1

Join Date 08/2010

Hi all !

Well, i don't know Stardock because i never played one of their games before, but i was monitoring the develloppement of the game since it was annonced. It seems that this game has a great potential, and from what i've heared Stardock seems to be an old school dev. (like Egosoft in Germany for those who know them. ) I mean whith this that they are not big money machines producing crap all the day for a high amout of money.

So i'm nearly decided to buy the game but i have some questions before doing the final step. First of all i'm interested by the sandbox mode and i would like to know two things :

- Is the world static or can it renew itself in the same game ? (i mean does the quests reappear after sometime or are replaced by others, does the creatures or items respawns...) In order to always have something to do on the map. (not clear the map of treasures and monsters and then there is nothing more to explore because there isn't anything anymore left.)

- In which language will be the game released ? I've seen nothing about localized version and heard that only the english version will be available. But is this confirmed ?

So i think it's all. Thanks all lot to all.

17 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 17, 2010 12:00:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

- Is the world static or can it renew itself in the same game ? (i mean does the quests reappear after sometime or are replaced by others, does the creatures or items respawns...) In order to always have something to do on the map. (not clear the map of treasures and monsters and then there is nothing more to explore because there isn't anything anymore left.)

I'm not sure on the final implementation of quests since the ones we had in beta were placeholder, but monsters do respawn. First, there are monster "lairs" that continually spit out a number of defending monsters until the lair is destroyed. Secondly, monsters just pop out in appropriate places. Large forests will spawn wolves and bears here and there, etc. That said, the majority of the content in the game will be one-off. Once you visit it, it's gone unless something happens to trigger another spawn (like quest techs trigger spawning of new quest locations).

- In which language will be the game released ? I've seen nothing about localized version and heard that only the english version will be available. But is this confirmed ?

It is confirmed. You would be able to do a mod translation but it would take some effort.

August 17, 2010 12:03:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AFAIK new quests, monster, etc, will spawn as the game progresses. Again, AFAIK, the only supported language will be English. There *might* be a Russian version, but I'm not really sure about that.

August 17, 2010 12:48:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As you go through the quest tech tree more advanced quests become avalible and appear on the map, so yeah quest change.

August 17, 2010 12:48:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the beta I found every time I got the ability to do higher level quests, more quests would appear. I was never able to run out of things to explore, though I never really tried it on a big map.

August 17, 2010 1:42:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also consider that this game isn't just about exploring and questing.  There is a definite end-game goal of meeting one of the four victory conditions, and you'll be battling against opponents with the same goal, so you won't want to dawdle.

August 17, 2010 1:49:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Again, AFAIK, the only supported language will be English. There *might* be a Russian version, but I'm not really sure about that.

1C/Snowball will be doing a Russian release, yes. Otherwise, English for NA/AU and downloads.

August 17, 2010 5:03:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mtn_Man,
Also consider that this game isn't just about exploring and questing.  There is a definite end-game goal of meeting one of the four victory conditions, and you'll be battling against opponents with the same goal, so you won't want to dawdle.

not that im terribly concerned, but is there perhaps a "quest mode" that doesnt take into account an endgame? just aimlessly building cities, questing, etc.?

August 17, 2010 6:40:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm Italian and I'll happily play in English.

Helps the atmosphere AND my English

August 17, 2010 7:59:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mobella,

Quoting Mtn_Man, reply 5Also consider that this game isn't just about exploring and questing.  There is a definite end-game goal of meeting one of the four victory conditions, and you'll be battling against opponents with the same goal, so you won't want to dawdle.

not that im terribly concerned, but is there perhaps a "quest mode" that doesnt take into account an endgame? just aimlessly building cities, questing, etc.?

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I think the single player campaign will be more about questing than conquering the world while the "sandbox" game will be conquest oriented.

August 18, 2010 5:05:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok thats good news for the quests and a bad news for the localization. But well nothings is perfect isn't it. Thanks for the light speed replies.

Huh, and yes i forgot something yesterday. What about the creatures ? I watched every videos of elemental and researched a bit but... I'm worried about something. The units you control as an army, are only guys equiped with different weapons and shileds.

But are they other types of unit you can train/buy for your army like fantastic creatures ? Because always having guys with stick/sword/club/bow... will be a bit boring i think. So can you get creatures a bit like in Heroes of might and magic ?

August 18, 2010 5:24:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Indeed. You can summon fantastic creatures via spells and build city improvements near ogre camps and the likes to train them. In addition, the more you advance in the diplomacy tree the more wild creatures that are roaming the world can be tamed.

August 18, 2010 5:45:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Huh... Thats very good...

And about summoning... Do the creatures you summon stay definitely or do they vanish afer sometime or at the end of a battle ?

August 18, 2010 6:45:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They stay definitely until they are killed or you release them. I am sure that there are spells to summon creatures during combat, too. I think it will be very similar to Master of Magic, though I don't know how the upkeep mechanic works. One of the spell books is just about summoning stuff.

August 18, 2010 6:55:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

russian version have been released only in october - http://www.snowball.ru/forums/?board=stratego&action=view&id=1602359&direct=1

August 18, 2010 9:30:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting phazonfreak,
They stay definitely until they are killed or you release them. I am sure that there are spells to summon creatures during combat, too. I think it will be very similar to Master of Magic, though I don't know how the upkeep mechanic works. One of the spell books is just about summoning stuff.

Unless it changed, your Essence score determines how many enchantments/summons you can maintain. So if you have, say, 5 Essence you can have 4 permanent enchantments and 1 summon, 2 enchantments and 3 summons, so on so forth.

August 18, 2010 12:10:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, so thats all i need to know for now... At least i think. Thanks !

Stardock may got a new adept...

August 18, 2010 2:10:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mobella,

Quoting Mtn_Man, reply 5Also consider that this game isn't just about exploring and questing.  There is a definite end-game goal of meeting one of the four victory conditions, and you'll be battling against opponents with the same goal, so you won't want to dawdle.

Well, you can choose your victory conditions in sandbox mode - I'm not sure if one could turn off victory conditions altogether, but you could turn off things you're not interested in like victory by conquest or diplomacy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time: