Imminent Gold

By on August 12, 2010 7:51:43 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1115

We’re wrapping up work on the gold version of Elemental.  Then it’s on to the day 0 version which is largely about polish, balance and tweaking. 

Update: The team let me know that there is one more tweak being made that would affect this screenshot that isn't in my build and that's the font face is different in the final gold versus what I have on my machine.

56 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 12, 2010 7:54:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Screw it. First thing I'm doing is tweaking the brains out of that GUI so hard the remains of the first Macintosh will feel it.

August 12, 2010 8:03:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks interesting. I like the unit formations.

August 12, 2010 8:09:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So do we REALLY have to wait until the 24th before we can get our preorders? Beta 4 is nice and all, but I'm ready for the REAL thing?

And congrats on emminent gold!

Gary

August 12, 2010 8:10:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Keep it up Stardock, you guys help me keep faith in the industry.

August 12, 2010 8:12:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the screenshot!  

August 12, 2010 8:14:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also want the gold to tide over until the day0 patch is out, even to the point where I ordered AND PAID FOR it through a game/movie chain that said their release was a couple of days earlier as well as having a limited edition on pre-order.

harpo

August 12, 2010 8:18:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

there's no way they are gonna give us the game before it releases.  you know, there's proper etiquette with these things.

BTW: the game looks fantastic!

August 12, 2010 8:28:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They did it for Diplomacy >> And it'd only be for the beta people, it'd be totally different! 

August 12, 2010 8:32:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hopefully beta testers noticed the pretty significant UI changes.

August 12, 2010 8:34:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The new UI looks a lot better, but I still think the Empire Tree could *really* use names Other than that, at a glance of the screenshot I'm very happy with the Strategic UI changes. The Empire tree including a lot more info (city upgrades, etc) is awesome.

Great changes in a short time frame!

August 12, 2010 8:43:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yes, the altered UI looks like it would be a major improvement for playability, but would actually have to test it to confirm the impression

harpo

August 12, 2010 8:47:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sweet.  Tell the other guys at Stardock that they rock!!!!!  And you deserve an attaboy as well. 

August 12, 2010 8:59:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I think it looks quite nice.  

I'm just wondering if you can tell if units are being built or just stationed in a town by those red and green dots on the left, or I guess if buildings are under construction.

August 12, 2010 9:04:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for posting the screenshot.

The GUI looks great! You can really see the improvement in the way the vital information is displayed all the time and it looks much more accessible than during the beta.

Well done. I can't wait until release date.

Is the small symbol above the mana bar an indication that there is a hero in the stack that can level up?

And second question, is the status display for the whole stack or do you still need to select individual units?

August 12, 2010 10:08:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I did notice it, and it is a VAST improvement over the original.

HOWEVER, I was hoping you would give it a more distinct look. Something that said 'post-magical holocaust' perhaps a bit to the burnt edges, and faded runes in places. With a much more distinct look to the art.

The new UI, is good, but rather utilitarian.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I assume that the only way to make major UI changes will be via python?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. The Strat map formations made me happy... in my pants.

August 12, 2010 10:11:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yesss screenshots we can open! I like what I'm seeing, it definitely has improved and I like how you can construct and train from the Kingdom Tree without going to the city, gj! Now for the questions!:

What are those red and green dots in the kingdom tree??

Why is there a level up icon to the right of "Axiom's Army (Tarth)"?

Why is there an icon of a pioneer below the female champion in the kingdom tree?

Why can't we have the game NOW?

Thats it for now, keep up the good work and I shall be waiting for moarrrr info. Also, the title made me think that Elemental was going Gold in sales lol.

August 12, 2010 10:15:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Das123,
Thanks for posting the screenshot.

The GUI looks great! You can really see the improvement in the way the vital information is displayed all the time and it looks much more accessible than during the beta.

Well done. I can't wait until release date.

Is the small symbol above the mana bar an indication that there is a hero in the stack that can level up?

And second question, is the status display for the whole stack or do you still need to select individual units?

Vermillion I believe all the UI is made using DesktoptX, however, I tried modifying the files in beta4 to see if I could modify it and my attempt was a failure. All the game screens can be found in the installer folder but I don't know why modifying those didn't do squat. For example I replaced the main game window with a whole new color and it didnt even notice the change, so I guess it requires another step in between desktopX, which could possibly be Python? Or some tool they will release specifically for this in the future idk .

August 12, 2010 10:36:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, that UI looks like it *might* not cause dain bramage from repeated use.   

It is definitely looking a lot better than the previous ones, that's for sure. Good job guys. I do hope that this helps quiet those doomsayers crying about the game not being finished yet.

August 12, 2010 10:50:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Indeed. Big changes going on down in the lower right hand corner especially with the "Hitpoints" and "Mana" counters. That army in formation looks awesome too . Man....come on 24th!!! It can't get here fast enough!!! You guys are busting your asses doing the polish and last minute details and it Really Shows. Keep up the great work Frogboy and Team!!!

August 12, 2010 11:06:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh my god getting bored of starcraft 2 can't wait for elemental ewww Friday the 13th, well its my b day and i was born on a Friday... the 24 better be tomorrow! oh god not more starcraft platinum league for 2v2 and 1v1 FML till 24th, might as well upgrade to collectors and get the book, now brad if something bad happens like a less then great ending i will never think of you as near Jesus status.

August 12, 2010 11:09:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the toy soldiers-esque appearance of the graphics.

Question: is there going to be a pause in the game when you finish researching a spell/spell level and have nothing in the queue?  All too often I ended up not researching a spell for turns due to forgetting?

August 12, 2010 11:13:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Screen shot!  I cant wait release.

BTW combat speed was increased all characters from Beta4?  

If so , the tactical battle will be excited more.

August 13, 2010 12:14:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the screenie!

August 13, 2010 12:28:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very pretty.

August 13, 2010 1:09:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

More please!!   Looks very nice and I notice quite a difference.  Any more you can post to tide us over.  Ive given up on B4, because of the memory crashing and what not.  Was just getting to much haha.  So Im really excited and its hard to wait!  Tell everyone good job for me plz!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: