Off Topic

By on August 6, 2010 10:46:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Blaze of Glory

Join Date 04/2006
+27

I am just finishing a couple of hell weeks of programming. I had to demo a $1 million client at 3:30

I literally compiled in the 3:31 minute mark of a demo as I was talking to them to setup showing my screen. I nailed it, I didn't cheat, it was correct. I gave them what they wanted in the 11th hour and 59th minute and 59th second. Damn it felt great. Just wanted to throw a shout out to other programmers that we get all kind of crap when things go wrong, but when we pull it off, we are, and then some.

Locked Post 5 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 6, 2010 10:59:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wait, are you saying that you got paid $1,000,000 to write something in 12 hours?

Unless you specialize in a highly unusual field I doubt it.

August 6, 2010 11:30:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Perhaps I misrepresent myself. No, I do not make a million dollars for writing good code , though I wish I did!. What I said was I delivered what was expected from a million dollar client at the last second.

I did not fool or trick anyone,  I pulled off a last second equation to make the deal work. It was not a trick, it was math. Balls, was the last second compile for a demo.

August 6, 2010 11:32:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't really know what to say. Congratulations. We all love it when we nail stuff, but I don't think I've ever nailed something worth $1 million.

Quoting TheProgress,
Wait, are you saying that you got paid $1,000,000 to write something in 12 hours?

Unless you specialize in a highly unusual field I doubt it.
No, he's saying that he had to demo a piece of software to a client worth $1 million, which took him weeks of hell to finish, only to be finished "in the 11th hour" and have it compile while he was still setting up his screen.

He then proceeded to nail the demonstration.

He felt awesome because of this.

And he should.

August 6, 2010 11:35:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok yeah I got the impression he was freelancing (and the client was worth $1,000,000).

Out of curiosity what exactly was the demo?

August 21, 2010 6:18:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry Progress for not answering sooner, I was celebrating a little too much that night and didn't realize I had posted this.

Luckman is mostly correct. My company had a big client we were trying to land and they had some items that they wanted our software to do. I had one of the major ones. I had everything lined out, working and pre approved a week ahead of the deadline. Then with a couple of days to go, there was push back from some of the client's users that they didn't like the way my module worked. Mind you, we talked to several customers to design the module and it wasn't just for them. We had shown the client what we were doing and they had approved.

So with a couple of days to get sign-off, I was given the task of making a special module like theirs that would in turn, feed back data into what we already had. So I had to morph two ideas into one in a couple of days or we would miss a major deadline and the stuff-that-shall-not-be-named would hit the fan.

The day of the demo I was running through it beforehand and somewhere along the way it shattered. The client wanted it proven to work because early the next week they were voting up or down and wanted the folks who were resistant to be placated as early as possible to make the process smoother.

I was tracking down the last bug as we were setting up the conference call. I just finished compiling and could not test it before I showed it. Most folks would have called off the demo, but I thought I had it and didn't want to raise any concerns.

So I showed it to them, and it went smooth as glass and they immediately signed off again. It was the last item to be approved. So, in short, I was a bit exuberant, yet exhausted. Mix tired, delirious and a few drinks and you get this thread. I usually don't toot my own horn like this and it is a bit embarrassing. However I started it, you asked, so I answered.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: