UFOs: What do YOU Believe?

A Question that mankind has asked since the dawn of time.

By on August 5, 2010 11:59:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX

Join Date 10/2008
+194

UFO's and Aliens. Do they exist? Do you think there's even a chance that there is other intelligent life in our galaxy or universe or do you think we Humans are the only intelligent life in all of creation? These are questions that we as a species, man-kind, have asked since as far as our recorded history goes back. Even Ancient man, with no knowledge of modern science or modern understanding of what "Space" was, would look to the night sky at the twinkling stars and wonder...."Are we truly alone?".

Honestly, I've always thought aliens existed. Whether or not they've actually visited this planet at any point in it's history I don't know and I don't think anyone can truly say one way or the other and have definitive proof. Of course there is probably just as much "proof" that aliens don't exist as there is that they do, but, at least we are now discovering for a Fact that there is or was "some form" of life in the universe outside of the planet Earth. We know from microscopic fossils in martian rocks that at one point millions of years ago there was at the very least Single Celled life on Mars. We found this out back in the late 90's. Didn't hear about it? That's not surprising since I only found out about it because of a 10 second mention on ABC's "World News Tonight" back in 96-97. Today how-ever you can research this for your-self as many papers and articles have been published on the subject. A quick Google Search will lead you to many results such as these:

Meteorite Yields Evidence of Primitive Life on Early Mars Source: www.solarviews.com Article from 1997

Fossil Life in Martian Rock Found in Antarctica ? Source:  http://spider.seds.org/spider/Mars/Marsrock/marsrocks.html Article from 1996

Proof of Life in Three Martian Rocks May Come This Year Source: www.popsci.com Article from 2010

This is enough in my eyes to call it "Definitive Proof", they're just waiting on the specific results so they can say it's a fact without a shadow of a doubt, and I respect them for waiting and taking it slow and doing the science the right way. A claim such as this can't be rushed no matter how apparent the results of any "proof" might be.

While I do believe in intelligent life outside of this planet, I'm still a skeptic. I mostly believe in what I can see with my own eyes. What I can feel with my own two hands. I think it's important for anyone doing any Serious research into the matter to be a skeptic and to try to dis-prove or debunk as many fakes as possible. With our advances in computers and video editing and special effects it's easier than ever for the nut-jobs and conspiracy wackos out there to make convincing "proof" on their own and it's people like those that bring a bad ilk to any Serious research into the matter. Sadly there are a lot of fakers and crazy people out there working in both directions of the debate. There are people who make fake videos of UFO's and try to pass them off as real and there are various groups and religious zealots who try to prove that Everything is fake and say that None Of It is real and anyone who believes there is intelligent non-human life in the universe is a moron or a liar.

Worse yet there are many people out there who are terrified of the idea that aliens may exist. Some people are so closed minded that no matter what scientific advances we may make or what we may learn about the universe and life its-self, they will Never believe that alien life exists even if aliens were to land on the White-House lawn and announce to the world that they are real and that they are here. Even if that did happen (which of course it hasn't) there would be a certain percentage of the world's population that would say it was faked, even if the proof was pointing a particle cannon at their head.

I'm about to tell a story I've never told publicly before. I've never told it honestly because I'm a little afraid of what it may make people think in regards to my sanity. If you choose to believe it, that's great. If you choose not to believe it, that's great too. One thing I do know for sure, I know what I saw...

Note: Before I get into the story, keep in mind that I was a kid. I was 13 or 14 years old. I had never done any drugs, didn't smoke cigs, didn't drink, and I wasn't a wild kid with a crazy imagination. I never had an "imaginary friend" at any point and even when I did grow up and start "partying" I've never had a hallucination nor have I ever saw something that I wasn't completely sure was right in front of me (magic tricks aside).

It was the summer of the year that my family moved from Deland in Volusia County out to Lake Mack in Lake County, Florida. I had to go to summer school that year to make up a failing English grade in 7th grade English (long story but basically I got screwed out of the grade I should have received). Because there weren't that many kids in my area going to summer school that year all of us in the neighborhood had to meet down at the corner store which was the only bus-stop for summer school that year. School started at 7 A.M. and was all the way in Leesburg (almost an hour from my house). We kids had to be at the bus-stop at 5:30 A.M. because it was a very long ride all the way to Leesburg from where we were in Lake Mack and there were other students to stop and pick up along the way. I was walking to the bus-stop down a long winding road. It was a normal paved road and there were houses and trailers all over the place. Even though the road was deserted because it was so early in the morning it was still a populated and crowded neighborhood. As I was rounding the bends I noticed all the tall pine trees were swaying back and forth pretty hard like there was about to be a storm, but oddly enough I couldn't feel any wind. I'm not going to say there wasn't any wind, there very well could have been and the currents were too high off the ground for me to feel the wind, but, I didn't actually feel any wind.

I was looking up at the tops of the pine trees when a very Large Triangle came out over the trees. At first I thought it was a helicopter and maybe I was seeing the lights on the ends of the rotors but then two things hit me. First, I couldn't hear Any noise. None what-so-ever. Second, if the lights I saw were on the ends of the rotors they would have been spinning very fast and not been stationary. They were also way too far apart to be rotor blades. The object was at least 3 times as high up as the trees, maybe 4 times as high, and it...was....Massive. I'm talking like the size of a Boeing 747, Massive. I quickly realized there was no way in hell that it was a helicopter. There were no flashing lights on it. They were on steadily. There were four lights in total. One larger light in the center and three more slightly smaller lights, one at each tip of the Triangle. I had seen plenty of helicopters up close, even military ones as I've lived close to Deland Airport for most of my time in Deland and seen plenty of air shows and air planes and helicopters first hand. I've seen both the Apache and the smaller Cobra Attack Chopper that it shares it's design with. It's also of note that out in Lake Mack in Lake County we were technically on the out-skirts of the Ocala National Forrest. The army had a bombing range on the far edge of the forrest and at least 3 or 4 times a year you could hear the bombs being dropped and all you had to do was go outside when the planes or helicopters were flying over-head to see what vehicles were doing the bombing. Lake Mack was right underneath their flight path for a long time even though the bombing range its-self was a good 60 or 70 miles away.

Anyway, when I realized just what it was I was looking at....well, I'm not ashamed to admit I got scared and started running for the bus-stop. I didn't look back and I didn't slow down. When I finally got to the point where I could see the store and see the other kids through the darkness standing under the street light at the store I stopped running. I didn't want the other kids thinking I was too scared to walk to the bus-stop in the dark, which I wasn't. I've never been afraid of the dark, not even as a small child. At that point when I stopped running I took the time to look behind me. Not surprisingly I didn't see anything. Nothing. No ship, no Triangle, no wind, and the trees were as still as could be since there was no wind.

I'm not gonna say I know for sure that it was aliens. I don't and to surmise that with no further evidence would be kinda stupid in my eyes. What I do know is that I have no idea what it was and it WASN'T a conventional aircraft. I honestly don't know what It was, but I do know I have Never seen Anything like It nor have I since. That one experience has led me to believe in intelligent life outside of this planet. I can't say it Was aliens. I can say I Think it was, because I have no other explanation for it.

So.....what do YOU believe? Do YOU think we're alone in the universe? Or do YOU think there is far more out there then we could ever dream is possible?

Locked Post 728 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 5, 2010 12:16:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The laws of probability seems to be on the side of intelligent life in the universe.  There is even the thought about parallel worlds or universes

It remains to be proven that life on the planet we are on is intelligent, you know, the whole war kill each other thing.

Now don't getting on the warpath.  Here is the logic.   What we truly know about life on this planet is little at best.  What we know about the universe is less then that.

So if we do run into another life form in the universe just how intelligent will we be? 

August 5, 2010 12:42:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
just how intelligent will we be?  

LoL probably not very. Knowing us humans our first reaction will probably be "Holy sh!t it looks different than we do. Quick, Kill it!!!"...

Great reply btw.

August 5, 2010 12:47:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The truth is out there.

August 5, 2010 12:53:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
The truth is out there.

I loved the X-Files. I wasn't that impressed with the movies though, which is a shame. I hear they're making a new X-Files movie though so maybe there's hopes for another good one left in the series.

Still though, that doesn't answer the question of your opinion on the subject, Doc . What do you think? Is there other intelligent life out there somewhere?

August 5, 2010 1:16:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ooo! one of my favorite subjects! I can't learn enough when it comes to astrobiology.

1. Is there life elsewhere in the universe? Yes. There are more stars in the (visible) universe than there are grains of sand on this planet. Not to mention that the visible universe is actually a very small part of the actual universe. So yes, there is life elsewhere, it's foolish and ignorant to say otherwise. 

2. Why would they fly in a spacecraft? UFO's are unrealistic in my opinion. Technology is part of our structure - cars are an extension of our legs, buildings are an extension of our skin, cell phones are an extension of our mouths. Technology will eventually become so integrated within our lives that we will merge with it and no longer need a "human body." The human body is great, but it has several flaws. It wears out easily, the way we walk has a negative impact on our back which is where our spinal cord is located. I'm certain that biotechnology (my major in college) will allow our bodies to slowly merge with technology, because we will strive to be the "perfect" lifeform. This is, of course, assuming that we solve the overpopulation issue soon.

-In 2 years, the fastest supercomputer will be faster than the human brain. 

-In 2040, the average home computer will be faster than the entire human species.

With that being said, why would we use a UFO? Traveling through the universe in a spacecraft seems unrealistic to me. We've teleported a proton instantaneously a mile away, just think of what we'll be able to do in a few hundred years. 

Another thing to say - we never detect radio waves or signals from other forms of life in the universe. Do they want to remain hidden? from what? are we making ourselves a target? Perhaps there are other super-intelligent forms of life out there, existing as a cloud of consciousness, not some green lizard looking thing. If that's true, then they already know about us and the rest of the universe, but we serve no purpose to them.

Also, what is outside our universe? The two main things that make up the universe - Dark matter and dark energy, are constantly "fighting" each other, yet we cannot sense these two things. They are the reason the universe exists, yet either could rip every atom in our universe apart. They could possibly be part of something much, much larger. Considering we have no grasp on the dimensions, it's not even possible to imagine what it could be. Food for thought.

August 5, 2010 1:31:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What are the chances of finding intelligent life on Earth?

August 5, 2010 1:41:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it possible that there is intelligent life out there in the universe?

Sure.  Is it likely to be similar to anything we can conceive, or able to interact with us in a way we can understand?  Unlikely.

August 5, 2010 1:41:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
What are the chances of finding intelligent life on Earth?

On a scale of 1 to 10, it will take a very long time.

Some feel they have found proof that intelligent life was here at one time but suddenly and for no apparent reason they left.

August 5, 2010 2:06:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some feel they have found proof that intelligent life was here at one time but suddenly and for no apparent reason they left.

They left because we human beings are so frickin stupid that we kill each other. I am sure with all the UFO sightings they come back to check on us every so often, only to be disappointed once again.  We are a sick race, and always will be.

August 5, 2010 2:14:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe that if I don't wear this here tinfoil hat, they will murder me in my sleep. The satellites everyone have in their heads is used to track us. It's a know co-conspiracy between the Soviet KGB and the Parallaxians.

The Men in Red (MIR) don't want the truth to get out.

I am taking a chance even writing this.

August 5, 2010 2:27:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

UFO's and Aliens. Do they exist? Do you think there's even a chance that there is other intelligent life in our galaxy or universe or do you think we Humans are the only intelligent life in all of creation?

UFOs = No

Aliens / Intelligent creatures & civilizations = Yes, that is 100%. It's pure mathematics ->

The Visible Universe

Reduced 73%
Original 640 x 600

- Number of superclusters in the visible universe = 10 million
- Number of galaxy groups in the visible universe = 25 billion
- Number of large galaxies in the visible universe = 350 billion
- Number of dwarf galaxies in the visible universe = 7 trillion
- Number of stars in the visible universe = 30 billion trillion  (3x10²²)

=> Even if there was only a one in a million chance of any given star system containing life, that means millions upon millions of alien life forms/civilizations out there.

-------

However, I think it's pretty clear, that time travel / wormholes etc. are non-existant things. If these would be possible, aliens would've visited Earth already. That being said, humans won't have contact with any other intelligent alien civilizations ever. The distance between the star systems is way too big, and the distance between galaxies?....Eh...

=>

"The nearest known star to the Sun is Proxima Centauri, which is 4.23 light-years away. The fastest outward-bound spacecraft yet sent, Voyager 1, has covered 1/600th of a light-year in 30 years and is currently moving at 1/18,000th the speed of light. At this rate, a journey to Proxima Centauri would take 72,000 years. Of course, this mission was not specifically intended to travel fast to the stars, and current technology could do much better. The travel time could be reduced to a few millennia using lightsails, or to a century or less using nuclear pulse propulsion. A better understanding of the vastness of the interstellar distance to one of the closest stars to the sun, Alpha Centauri A (a sun-like star), can be obtained by scaling down the Earth-Sun distance (150,000,000 km) to one meter. On this scale the distance to that star would be 271 kilometers or about 169 miles."

^ ..and that is the closest star.

August 5, 2010 2:37:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

However, I think it's pretty clear, that time travel / wormholes etc. are non-existant things. If these would be possible, aliens would've visited Earth already.

Actually it's not that clear. There's still a ton we don't know about how the universe works. There's no proof that things like wormholes don't exist as much as there isn't proof that they do. What we have are models for the universe, which keep changing through the years as we uncover more and more stuff we didn't know before. The if-then comparison is flawed, too

August 5, 2010 2:37:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With that being said, why would we use a UFO? Traveling through the universe in a spacecraft seems unrealistic to me. We've teleported a proton instantaneously a mile away, just think of what we'll be able to do in a few hundred years.

The type of teleportation you're talking about (quatum teleportation) is not the same as the typical "sci-fi teleportation" you see in Star Trek or whatever. It uses an entagled pair of photons or other particles, where if you change the quantum state of one particle, the quatum state of the other particle in the pair will change to match it. This type of "teleportation" could *maybe* be used for high speed communication, but using it to "teleport" something more complex--like a human--would be pretty much impossible. Additionally, the other member of the pair that you want to teleport has to be moved to whereever it is you want to teleport it to in the first place, which requires some other mode of transportation. See here and here for more information if you're interested.

Another thing to say - we never detect radio waves or signals from other forms of life in the universe. Do they want to remain hidden? from what?

Perhaps they're too far away for anything to have reached us yet? The closest star system, Alpha Centauri, is about 4.4 light years away from us. Despite the fact that the odds are overwelmingly in favor of their being life out there somewhere, the universe is huge, and the odds that life, much less intelligent life, formed anywhere close enough to use to be within signal distance is tiny.

Also, in 1977, we *may* have detected a radio signal that *may* have come from another form of life. "May" being the operative word(s). A radio telescope picked up a very unusal signal that would indicate extraterrestrial orgin, but the signal never repeated and was never found again. It is known as the "Wow! Signal."

o, what is outside our universe? The two main things that make up the universe - Dark matter and dark energy, are constantly "fighting" each other, yet we cannot sense these two things. They are the reason the universe exists, yet either could rip every atom in our universe apart. They could possibly be part of something much, much larger. Considering we have no grasp on the dimensions, it's not even possible to imagine what it could be. Food for thought.

See here and here for more info on what is outside our universe and about dark matter.

August 5, 2010 2:39:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting G3mpi3,
Ooo! one of my favorite subjects! I can't learn enough when it comes to astrobiology.

1. Is there life elsewhere in the universe? Yes. There are more stars in the (visible) universe than there are grains of sand on this planet. Not to mention that the visible universe is actually a very small part of the actual universe. So yes, there is life elsewhere, it's foolish and ignorant to say otherwise. 

2. Why would they fly in a spacecraft? UFO's are unrealistic in my opinion. Technology is part of our structure - cars are an extension of our legs, buildings are an extension of our skin, cell phones are an extension of our mouths. Technology will eventually become so integrated within our lives that we will merge with it and no longer need a "human body." The human body is great, but it has several flaws. It wears out easily, the way we walk has a negative impact on our back which is where our spinal cord is located. I'm certain that biotechnology (my major in college) will allow our bodies to slowly merge with technology, because we will strive to be the "perfect" lifeform. This is, of course, assuming that we solve the overpopulation issue soon.

-In 2 years, the fastest supercomputer will be faster than the human brain. 

-In 2040, the average home computer will be faster than the entire human race.

Another thing to say - we never detect radio waves or signals from other forms of life in the universe. Do they want to remain hidden? from what? are we making ourselves a target? Perhaps there are other super-intelligent forms of life out there, existing as a cloud of consciousness, not some green lizard looking thing.

Also, what is outside our universe? The two main things that make up the universe - Dark matter and dark energy, are constantly "fighting" each other, yet we cannot sense these two things. They could possibly be part of something much, much larger. Considering we have no grasp on the dimensions, it's not even possible to imagine what it could be. Food for thought.

You're going to create the Borg aren't you?

Also you're right, our entire universe could be a small part of something infinitely larger or more complex.

As for the main topic:

I believe in science. There are estimated to be 70 sextillion stars (70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) in the known universe. There is almost definitely other life out there. It happened here, and there's almost certainly a similar solar system out there somewhere with some sort of life going on.

In our own galaxy alone there are about 400,000,000,000 stars and a diameter of 100,000 light years. Even with this much smaller amount of stars compared to the rest of the universe, it almost certainly contains life, and probably even other intelligent life. The chances that inter-stellar aliens have visited us is almost null. Unfortunately our current knowledge of physics tells us it is almost impossible to travel faster than light, so unless aliens live much longer than us, they probably haven't stumbled upon our star. I mean you have more of a chance of hitting a specific pixel on your monitor with a dart, than an alien life form would have of randomly or even intentionally coming to our planet. At least until our radio waves are picked up by something out there. Even that is only in our local neighborhood of stars.

Life on Mars could have existed MAYBE in its earlier stages, but probably nothing even as complicated as bacteria. I'd love to be wrong about that, but Mars is missing several factors that made/makes life possible here. For example, its core was already destabilized/cold (thus no magnetosphere or volcanic activity) around the time life was taking off here IIRC. It could be possible that there is some sort of organic molecules on Mars though.

If life exists in our solar system outside of Earth, then it is probably on Europa or Titan, but if it exists here it's probably microbial, and multi-celled life is not as likely but possible.

Then again, as mentioned earlier, what we think we know about the universe is probably not only inaccurate in a lot of places, but what we don't know is probably much much more than what we think we know. Humans will have to evolve the ability to think in more than 3 dimensions if we really want to understand the quantum world for example. If thinking in higher dimensions, or even understanding quantum mechanics, is possible.

August 5, 2010 2:45:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't want to mess around with UFO's or aliens in reality. 

Advice from Dr. Stephen Hawking: "Don't mess with them aliens"

August 5, 2010 2:50:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

However, I think it's pretty clear, that time travel / wormholes etc. are non-existant things. If these would be possible, aliens would've visited Earth already.
Actually it's not that clear. There's still a ton we don't know about how the universe works. There's no proof that things like wormholes don't exist as much as there isn't proof that they do. What we have are models for the universe, which keep changing through the years as we uncover more and more stuff we didn't know before. The if-then comparison is flawed, too

Yup, and many people believe Aliens have visited Earth already. And I think they'd be pretty smart to not announce their presence if they did come here.

Personally, I'd put every dollar I have on there being intelligent life out there somewhere. Will we ever encounter them, maybe, maybe not, but I'm sure they're out there, probably wondering if they're alone in the Universe as well.

And regardless of wormholes/ftl, we can get to the stars. It will just take a couple generations and a very fast spaceship.

August 5, 2010 2:53:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What do you think? Is there other intelligent life out there somewhere?

Statistically? High. Epistomologically? Depends on your definition of 'intelligent', and how to know/prove that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote who="Fuzzy Logic" reply="6" id="2705987"]What are the chances of finding intelligent life on Earth?[/quote]

Microscopic, at most.

August 5, 2010 2:58:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I always found it hard to visualize in my head, that huuuuge number of stars.

But then i found this video, which put the universe in a nice visual perspective for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg&playnext=1&videos=la9uFlEflM4

August 5, 2010 2:58:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
They left because we human beings are so frickin stupid that we kill each other.

If no one killed each other, our species would currently be extinct according to a standard ecological model. Since we aren't greatly affected by natural selection, we are a danger to ourselves and every other species on the planet. Our aggression is a product of evolution which actually makes our species more 'fit.'

Yes, in a perfect world population size would be restricted and we would live in harmony with each other and with nature, but restricting population size isn't going to happen. Also, murder rates have dropped and we are at a point where war would only lead to our own destruction. We're starting to realize that we need to use resources responsibly and we are concentrating on solving problems in the future with technologies that don't even exist yet every day. I would say things are looking pretty good right now, as long as we either find another place to live, or a reasonable way to restrict our population size.

Quoting kyogre12,
 This type of "teleportation" could *maybe* be used for high speed communication, but using it to "teleport" something more complex--like a human--would be pretty much impossible.

Think outside the box: 

"Since there exists in this four dimensional structure no longer any sections which represent 'now' objectively, the concepts of happening and becoming are indeed not completely suspended, but yet complicated. It appears therefore more natural to think of physical reality as a four dimensional existence, instead of, as hitherto, the evolution of a three dimensional existence... for us physicists believe the separation between past, present, and future is only an illusion, although a convincing one." 

Quoting kyogre12,
Perhaps they're too far away for anything to have reached us yet?

I understand your argument. We've only been looking for a very short period of time. The universe is much larger than we can comprehend, and everything is very spread out. I was only introducing the argument to get the idea out there. Maybe it's a good idea to remain hidden. Maybe there's a reason to remain hidden. No one knows.

Quoting SpaghettiMon,
You're going to create the Borg aren't you?

We'll see.

Quoting kyogre12,
See here and here for more info on what is outside our universe and about dark matter.

As the universe is expanding, it's actually also losing energy. (Scientific American, love that magazine). Of course, being a scientist I will question any theory, including time. The universe and space are so interesting, yet a little scary as well. 

Also, check this out.

August 5, 2010 3:14:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ,

We know from microscopic fossils in martian rocks that at one point millions of years ago there was at the very least Single Celled life on Mars.

We don't KNOW shit -- those rocks are are just "believed" to be meteorites from Mars; they were actually found in Antarctica.

What I believed last Sunday and what I think I believe now are 2 different things, thanks to your questions, Raven.  Now that I've had a chance to research the theories of The Biocentric Universe http://www.biocentricity.net/ (and getting excited about buying the Robert Lanza's book,  Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness Are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe, next paycheck), I'm starting to understand that our paradigm of looking at time and space is incomplete; time and space are not linear, and the universe exists only because it can be observed.  After the past 2 days of research my belief about the universe now is more of a fusion between physics and philosophy.  That being said, I don't believe "aliens" (living beings from other planets) exist, because I haven't observed them.  That does not mean they don't exist for someone else, but I can't be 100% sure that the person for whom they exist is "real" or whether they are a figment of my imagination, or someone I've created in a dream and I'm sleeping right now, which leads me back to my original statement -- We (I) don't know shit.

August 5, 2010 3:25:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We don't KNOW shit

Don't know about "WE", but I do. I've seen LOTS of shit feces and I know feces when I see it, Missy. So don't you tell me!

AND, the feces I've seen hasn't been microscopic, either.

August 5, 2010 3:28:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there Has Been ONE signal received from deep space that we haven't been able to identify yet. So far we've had more then a few "close calls" when someone at SETI would announce they found a signal. Back in the 70's Russia claimed to have been the first to pick up alien broadcasts, and then a few years later England claimed to have found 3 in succession. Later of course we found out that ALL the signals were coming from "Pulsars". Pulsars emit a high band radio transmission naturally because of the way gravity is pulling in radiation and shooting it out in one direction as the star spins. Imagine the sun spinning in space but only shining sunlight in one direction instead of the whole way around it and you'll understand what a Pulsar does. Every time the Pulsar spins with that certain part facing Earth we receive it's static transmission. At first though, Radio Astronomers the world over had thought that deep space was chalked full of alien civilizations.

Interestingly enough, there has been One Signal detected that we haven't identified as being caused by a natural phenomenon. The Signal is called "The Wow! Signal". You can learn about it by doing a Google Search. Here is an excerpt from the Wiki:

The Wow! signal was a strong narrow-band radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at The Big Ear radio telescope of Ohio State University.

Read the Wiki Here.

@Tormy: My friend, how come you can believe in alien civilizations and not believe in them having the technology to build a viable space ship? What if that civilization were a few thousand years ahead of us in technological terms? As Humans we are limited by our current technology and also by our current understanding of physics and how the universe works. A species that outreaches our technological understanding by a few thousand years may very well of overcome our limitations. They wouldn't be using energy sources we know about or even understand, for all we know they could have very well mastered traveling through other dimensions we don't even know exist. One of the current (though I admit highly unlikely) theories going around in the nut-job conspiracy theory groups is that the UFO's we humans have been seeing for thousands of years are indeed inter-dimensional travelers. Granted, personally I don't think a race that's advanced enough to travel through other dimensions would really want anything to do with us lowly humans, but, I won't completely discount the possibility that there Is a race out there somewhere that's advanced enough to have done it.

We should all also keep in mind that there's no law saying that advanced alien life would even work the same way our carbon based life does. Hawking himself surmises that any life that would grow on a alien world would be based on the most common elements of that would. There could be alien life that's hydrogen based, or silicon based, and not necessarily carbon based like we are. There could very well be a race of creatures that can live in outer space it-self and unless they by chance wander within viewing distance of Earth we'd never know they exist. Some scientists even think that the very laws of physics themselves as we understand them may be different in different parts of the universe. Some laws that apply here on Earth as a constant might be a variable on the other side of the universe where the universe is still expanding from the big bang.

Part of me likes to fantasize that maybe there is a great big universe of life out there and they are purposefully staying away from us as to not disturb our natural evolution. Maybe they have a rule like Star Trek's "Prime Directive" that keeps the intergalactic community from contacting us until we are deemed "ready". Sadly I think that's a fantasy, but, the universe is big enough that there could be a minute microscopic chance something like that exists somewhere beyond our limited human understandings.

August 5, 2010 3:31:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That being said, I don't believe "aliens" (living beings from other planets) exist, because I haven't observed them. That does not mean they don't exist for someone else, but I can't be 100% sure that the person for whom they exist is "real" or whether they are a figment of my imagination, or someone I've created in a dream and I'm sleeping right now, which leads me back to my original statement -- We (I) don't know shit.

Kind of like Schrodinger's cat, a paradox, they exist AND they don't exist. Makes sense, but we can certainly make an educated guess that they do exist. Have you heard of the Drake equation? Odds are, intelligent life exists and quite a bit of it.

August 5, 2010 3:33:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

We don't KNOW shit
Don't know about "WE", but I do. I've seen LOTS of shit feces and I know feces when I see it, Missy. So don't you tell me!

AND, the feces I've seen hasn't been microscopic, either.

Ah...but are you 100% certain, without a doubt, that it was "real" feces, and not just dream feces, or delusional feces, or somebodyelse's dream feces that you are just a part of?

...if a wild bear defecates in the woods and there is no one there to smell it, does it leave a stench?

August 5, 2010 3:44:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting k10w3,

We don't KNOW shit -- those rocks are are just "believed" to be meteorites from Mars; they were actually found in Antarctica.

No dear, I beg to differ but they do know the one meteorite came from Mars (but yes it was found in Antarctica). I don't think they'd make such a big deal about it if they didn't even know the rocks came from Mars. Finding microbes of long dead life on a random space rock doesn't really tell us much other than it came from out there. This they know came from Mars. Here's a quote from the 2010 article:

The scientific teams are "very, very close to proving there is or has been life [on Mars]," said David McKay, chief of astrobiology at the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston, in a Spaceflight Now interview.

I think Mars had life on it at one time. Nothing as advanced as we have here of course, but, with all that water that was once liquid on Mars millions of years ago (and water being the dominant ingredient we know of that life needs) I'd wager there was probably something swimming in it millions of years ago. Even if it was only bacteria or algae. We know there's tons and tons of water erosion on Mars that could only have been formed from liquid water (or of course some other liquid) having been there.

Hey, how come you're not on Yahoo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001187   Page Render Time: