[Updated] Elemental Faction Editor -Now with Random Faction Generator

By on August 4, 2010 7:36:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Murteas

Join Date 08/2003
+44

Elemental Faction Editor

Here is the link to the latest version: http://www.gamemodshosting.com/showfile-86/ewom_faction_editor.zip

mirror :  http://www.filefront.com/17279313/EWOM_Faction_Editor.zip

Here is a link to a version that uses Adobe Kuler to pick color schemes:  http://www.gamemodshosting.com/showfile-88/ewom_faction_editor.zip

Note:  You can type in any field and put your own values, the drop down menus are just to help if you don't want to type the pre-existing fields.   

Update

Sept. 10, 2010 - Added a Random Faction Generation option.  On the main menu see the Random option.   This is an initial pass, try it out and give me suggestions.

Oct. 31, 2010 - Added a version that uses Adobe Kuler to pick color schemes.

Enjoy

Locked Post 74 Replies +9
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 26, 2010 6:19:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Latest version up.   Try it out.  Hopefully it is more user friendly.   Let me know what you would like to see in here.  It's hard for me to know if this is useful or too hard for people to use still.

August 26, 2010 6:51:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has anyone been able to get the 'Additional Bonuses and Weaknesses' to work for their faction?

Very cool tool. Thank you.

August 26, 2010 8:27:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

just one suggestion for the bonus/weakness page to do with resizing of window,

but this might be currently beyond your programming ability,

ie if the window is either streached  or maximised could you increase the size of the container for the bonuses/weaknesses?

harpo

August 26, 2010 8:53:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great work, yet again.

• However, my program doesn't look like your screenshot. I don't have the cool text or the colored background. It looks all plain to me (white and boring fonts).
  • Perhaps the "Starting Unit Types" window should be quite a bit larger and have checkboxes.
  • You could also rename the numbers in "Environment Terrain Type" to their corresponding terrain and allow for all the options:
    • 1 = Fallen
    • 2 = Grass
    • 3 = Desert
    • 4 = Snowy
  • Could add in all the possible "UnitStat_" functions instead of just health
    • A_Health doesn't seem to work right now. However, A_UnitStat_HitPoints does as a % multiplier.
  • Add all the possible "A_" options (ie. A_rations, A_training...)
  • Add in Sovereign selection: <SovereignUnitType>
    • This might require some work to link the files together, idk.
  • Add in shopkeeper support:    <ShopkeeperUnitType>
  • Add in faction background selection: <ChooseFactionBack>
  • Ability to create a minor faction: <FactionType>
  • Add in background unit support:   <AccompanyUnitType_One> and <AccompanyUnitType_Two>
    • These guys stand next to your leader in faction selection. I think it's kinda fun to see.
  • SMALL: More city wall possibilities (ie. no walls, stone, wooden...)

Anyways, your kinda showing up Stardock with this right now, lol.

MAJOR BUG: I just made an Amerian and an Ironeer civilization and both of them didn't function because the race codes are incorrect. No units were availible to build at all. Ironeer, for example, was spelled with an extra "S" after it. Ironeer should be: "Ironeer_Sovereign_Male_Basic" for example, not "Ironeers_Sovereign_Male_Basic". Probably a similar problem with other races.

August 27, 2010 12:21:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dang it.  I tested a few of the races, not all of them.  I'll try to fix that.  

Just a note, that the starting unit types is the same as the internal faction editor has, however, you can add/remove whatever you want there.  Same thing with terrain types, A options, etc. you can just type what you want and it will be added.   

What does the faction background selection actually do?   I couldn't tell what it does, and the internal faction editor doesn't use it.

Back to work...

August 27, 2010 12:59:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I noticed you could add more numbers into the terrain type, hehe.

Faction background is the display behind the character when selecting a faction. It could be a castle or the forest or whatever. Most the images are in the "\Gfx\Backdrops" folder but I believe you can select anything (it doesn't have to be defined).

August 27, 2010 1:09:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Update available.   I recommend you re-download if you can, as the previous version had a bug which would make you have no armies.     Which while increasing the difficulty really lessens the fun of the game.  

I've added a few new features, but I'll have to add some more of the suggestions later.  I've got to get to bed.     (I'm no Stardockian I tell you...I've got to get my sleep.)

Edit:  Oh and by the way, it is true that your version is going to be white and boring.   That is because I am using Stardocks Object Desktop stuff and in particular the program WindowBlinds 7 and the parchment theme which is made to look like Elementals UI.   So I don't think there is a way for me to include that in my program, because I just get the design as a result of the WindowBlinds.   Sorry, maybe I'll help Stardock sell a few more copies of windowblinds.  

August 27, 2010 2:15:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In response to reply #49, and the suggestion of autobuilding from certain points...

I think you might want to go with it. Autoselect option for techs, and make some dropdowns for the significant options (good/evil, terrain type generated by control zones [James009D brought this up too. I think the consensus is that the idea of spreading an endless desert or eternal winter over the land is just as cool as the conventional options]). I think I can speak for all of us when I say streamlining is okay at some point, though, and picking every tech can get irritating.

One thing I'd really like, just personally, is the option of choosing labor pits or workshops as a style indicator. I think that's a real point of order between good and evil (labor pits being indicative of an oppressive slave/serfdom economy, workshops of a more respected labor force... Which could be completely inverted by good factions with pits and evil ones with workshops, making the moral complexities even more fun than they already are).

Anyway, still following the thread, 100% behind this. I'll d/l the latest version, see if my ramblings through the interface uncover any bugs (can't promise anything; my narrow focus on the stuff -I- want to imagine tends to get in the way of a proper testing viewpoint )

Keep on rockin'.

August 27, 2010 2:26:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

IS there a way I can find out what exactly all of the "Additional Bonuses/Weaknesses" do?

August 27, 2010 6:50:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TKaz84 - I am still trying to determine what they all do, but you can look here:   CorePlayerAbilities.xml in your game install directory/data/English folder.   IT has descriptions but they are more generic not specific to actual game effect for the most part.   A few of the abilities are obvious (i.e. if you put 2 points in Dexterity you have units which have 2 more points in dexterity)  but some I have no idea.  Like I said play around with them and see if they show up.

August 31, 2010 7:03:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry to bug, Murt, but would you know where the tech tree selections are listed? Amarian and Trog seem to be the only available ones for new races in the editor.

-Demon

August 31, 2010 2:45:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Those are the only tech trees available right now.   At one point there was talk of having one for each faction, but apparently that delayed.

You can see the tech trees in the <install folder> \data\English folder.  There is one for TechTree_Amarian.xml and one TechTree_Trog.xml.    You can certainly make your own and then type it in the faction editor for your race/faction to use.  

I'm not sure if/when new ones will be coming out.

HTH.   Let me know if I can help with anything else.

September 8, 2010 6:33:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So, will people share which abilities they have successfully tried for a faction.  And what the number means (percentage, 1 or 0, or explicit value, etc.).

I'd like to make a random faction creator and I'd like to add in some of the non-official abilities to make it interesting.   Just wondering what people have tried and used.  

September 10, 2010 12:46:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New version available.   Now with a random faction generator.   More features to come.  I am going to scour the forums for mods that make new abilities.  I will add these as options to the faction editor.   

Still need to balance the abilities (still using the vanilla value for bonuses & weaknesses), and make the random name truly represent the faction.    

Have fun.

September 10, 2010 1:00:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great work. Keep it up.

September 10, 2010 1:04:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mmmh it appears I am unable to download... Each time the counter reaches 0 and I click on it, it just begins counting again from 10 to 0.

Anyone else got this problem? Am I doing something wrong? [probably yes]

Thanks for your work anyway!

September 10, 2010 1:23:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Strange.   I will upload a mirror on filefront.  I have no problems with the original link but no reason for it not to be in mulitple places.   

http://www.filefront.com/17279313/EWOM_Faction_Editor.zip

September 10, 2010 1:28:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you ! Yes, that was strange... I already downloaded from file front, but I'll keep trying the old link, to see if something changes.

September 10, 2010 1:47:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
Edit:  Oh and by the way, it is true that your version is going to be white and boring.   That is because I am using Stardocks Object Desktop stuff and in particular the program WindowBlinds 7 and the parchment theme which is made to look like Elementals UI.   So I don't think there is a way for me to include that in my program, because I just get the design as a result of the WindowBlinds.   Sorry, maybe I'll help Stardock sell a few more copies of windowblinds.  
Tangenting . . . . It is possible to skin the app but it's likely much more effort and (possible) cost.  http://www.stardock.com/products/directskin/

September 10, 2010 1:54:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting Murteas, reply 57Edit:  Oh and by the way, it is true that your version is going to be white and boring.   That is because I am using Stardocks Object Desktop stuff and in particular the program WindowBlinds 7 and the parchment theme which is made to look like Elementals UI.   So I don't think there is a way for me to include that in my program, because I just get the design as a result of the WindowBlinds.   Sorry, maybe I'll help Stardock sell a few more copies of windowblinds.  Tangenting . . . . It is possible to skin the app but it's likely much more effort and (possible) cost.  http://www.stardock.com/products/directskin/

Interesting.    That would be cool, unfortunately a little out of my budget for modding.        Thanks for the link Zubaz.   

September 13, 2010 7:13:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Try the XtraEditors Library.  One of the controls is their StyleController which you can use to set a consistent look and feel for the forms.

Over 60 Free Controls from DevExpress
https://www.devexpress.com/Products/Free/NetOffer/

Look and Feel (in their online doc)
http://documentation.devexpress.com/#WindowsForms/CustomDocument2397

October 19, 2010 5:20:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has anyone looked at http://kuler.adobe.com/
 from adobe.   I am experimenting with using their service to create color schemes in the elemental faction editor.   so that the colors go together well (no more flourescent pink with brown & lime green highlights).    Tell me if that is of interest to anyone, and I will upload it.  I realize most people have moved on to use the in-game editor (which is great), but I still use this and I'd like to keep maintaining it if there is interest.

October 22, 2010 7:27:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am certainly interested if this mod if it offers a much more robust selection of faction bonuses and penalties. I compare the official one to moo2 and i cry. So little flexibility.

October 22, 2010 11:47:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Feel free to download it and try it out.   It allows you to set your own bonuses and weaknesses as well as using the pre-defined ones.     I use this mostly to generate random opponents for myself at this point.    I have already made a few factions that I really enjoy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time: