[eMOD] Abilities, Traits, and History's Modification- Version 0.46 [eREL]

Giving more useful and passive bonuses to Abilities, Traits, and History's...

By on July 30, 2010 9:29:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

James009D

Join Date 01/2005
+67

Abilities, Traits, and History's Modification [REL Version 0.46]

Provided by Tydorius

Image masterfully created by Tydorius

UPDATED for 1.08 release :

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?a9xdsi62pah7ac1

Alternate: http://www.ultimateelemental.com/downlaods/download-mods/Elemental-War-of-Magic-Downloads/mods/miscellaneous/Abilities-Traits-and-Historys/

** IMPORTANT: Ensure that you delete the old .XML mod files before updating. This does NOT modify any core files. **

DO NOT use the "/createxmlbinary" EXE command for this mod.

You must start a new and fresh game to see the changes.

HELP NEEDED:

I need a coder to inform me of how I can implement "attribute based abilities".

My goal is to see traits and abilities improved. With this mod most traits and professions gain a "passive bonus" that usually benefits you while stationed in cities. A merchant, for example, gains more gold stationed in a city then in the wilderness. He also gives the city a small multiplier bonus. This makes more sense instead of him scouting the landscape he is remaining in the city trading.

HOWEVER, I've been trying to tie these bonuses to the character's attributes with no success. I need someone to fill in the blanks in the coding here. For example, I want a merchant to gain .2 gold + (1/100) wisdom + (1/25) charisma + (1/30) intelligence/ per turn... how do I code this into the <Modifier> in the .XML. I'm stuck.

With all attributes at 10 the Merchant should gain ~+0.8 gold/per turn while stationed in a city. I don't want it to be a "perfect" number, I like the randomization of it. Might need to nerf the equation for late game concerns though.

I'd also like merchants to gain XP for being stationed in a city. No idea how to implement that either...

I also need testers to inform me of bugs, errors, and balancing issues.

Elemental Abilities, Traits, and Histories Mods (Version 0.46)
Created by James009D

I've modified a lot of the core backgrounds, abilities, and histories to offer more unique and fitting bonuses. This also helps to display the importance of leadership as you will now gain some small but important bonuses to keeping units stationed in cities. For example, a merchant king now generates about 1 gildar outside the city but generates another when stationed (which is added to the city income and modifiers) and grants a 5% trade bonus. Another example is the diplomat which generates 1 diplomacy point every 5 turns but can also generate 1 diplomacy point every ~3 turns while stationed in a city and improves the effeciency of the embassy while there by 10%. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

(Update) This mod now makes heroes, champions, and sovereigns even MORE meaningful and useful by adding bonus HP to each unit (4-10 depending on class). Heroes and sovereigns should now be more useful and survivable.

Mods included:

• ModSovAbilities.XLM- Modifies the origional abilities.
  • ModNPCHistories.XML- Modifies the NPC histories/abilities.
  • ModSovHistories.XLM- Modifies the origional sovereign histories.
  • ModSovHistoriesNew.XML- Creates a number of  totally histories for sovereigns to use. Proof of concept for new histories.
  • ModSovHistoriesText.XML- Creates the text for the new histories.

How to install:

• Place the .XML files into either the "C:\Users\???\Documents\My Games\Elemental\Units" or the default "Mods" folder.
  • Make sure "Use Mods" is checked.

Using the mods:

• Must startup a new game.

New Histories: The old histories have been updated to be a little more meaningful and fun. Each history (both sov and NPC) also give the unit a bonus in HP from 4-10 to make them last longer and stronger. This should, altogether, make heros, champions, and sovereigns (especially) more meaningful, powerful, and useful.

•  Miner: Slightly increased mining ability and bonus metal production.
  •  Warlord: Now has 3 "Sentinels" upon spawning and gains bonus to unit training.
  •  Warrior: A much more formidable unit that should be able to stand up to armies and monsters easier. Increased bonus to attack, special abilities, and bonus HP.
  •  Merchant Master (Was "Merchant"): Gains more gold when inside a city and boosts city income.
  •  Bard: Cheaper recruitment, bonus prestige to cities, and higher reputation.
  •  Assassin: Improved attack, special abilities, but cities suffer slower growth.
  •  Thief: Improved looting, small income bonus, quicker combat speed, better dodging, can sprint, but slightly slower city growth.
  •  Adventurer: Same movement, increased sight, and better survivability.
  •  Hunter: Was previously disabled. Gains a wild game improvement, bonus attack to monsters, improved sight, and can set traps (tangled web).
  •  Royalty: Same prestige bonus, stationed prestige bonus, minor income bonus, and bonus diplomacy. Refugees may be attracted to them.
  •  Dungeon Master: Same attack bonus as before but can now entangle units.

New Histories:

• Politician- Many Kingdom/Empire related bonuses. Attracts refugees.
  • General- More "leadership" related bonuses related to military.
  • Scientist- Added research.
  • Arcane Researcher- Added spell research.
  • Mage- Improved magical abilities and small spell research bonus.
  • Farmer- +1 food and food bonuses.

The Abilities: Many bonuses are changed in such a way that they give you a greater bonus while inside a city.

•  Brilliant: Bonus to research.
  •  Dumb: Slower research.
  •  Diplomatic: Bonus to diplomacy.
  •  Undiplomatic: Penalties to diplomacy.
  •  Forced March: Replaced Organized (but still compatible). Unchanged.
  •  Natural Leader: Same. Bonus to unit training.
  •  Cruel: Same. Penalty to unit training.
  •  Hardy: A little cheaper.
  •  Weak: Less HP.
  •  Tracker: Unchanged.
  •  Clumsy: Unchanged.
  •  Outdoorsman: Bonus attack vs. animals and sight.
  •  Meditative: Bonus to spell research.
  •  Organized: New skill. Many small city bonuses.
  •  Administrator: Many small city bonuses. Greater then organized.
  •  Unorganized: Many small city penalties.
  •  Naturalist: Same. Small metal production.
  •  Prospector: Start near a gold mine. Small gold production.
  •  Outcast: Diplomacy and recruitment penalty.
  •  Stupid: Slower spell learning.
  •  Stubborn: Diplomacy penalties.
  •  Blunt: Diplomacy penalties, harder to recruit heroes.
  •  Charismatic: Bonus to recruiting and diplomacy.
  •  Insane: Same. Small recruitment and diplomacy penalties.
  •  Builder: Bonus to construction.
  •  Inefficient: Same. Small penalty in construction and income.
  •  Ugly: Same. Small recruitment and diplomacy penalties.
  •  Attractive: Easier reproduction. Small diplomacy and recruitment bonus.
  •  Infertile: Harder reproduction. Less overall kids.
  •  Family Oriented: Easier reproduction. More kids.
  •  Armor Proficiency: Bonus to defense.
  •  Weapon Proficiency: Bonus to attack.
  •  Agile: Bonus to combat speed.
  •  Siege Expert: Bonus to city attack.
  •  Famous: Bonus to diplomacy, recruitment, and reputation.

Modified NPC Histories: These are available for the old NPCs and champions.

•  Farmer: Same. Stationed growth bonus.
  •  Loremaster, researcher, inventor, and archivist: All gain bonuses to their research. Stationed bonus.
  •  Merchant: Renamed. Stationed bonus.
  •  Ironeer: Same. Stationed bonus.
  •  Administrator: Same. Small stationed bonus to gold, building, and training.

New NPC Histories: These are available for random NPCs or created NPCs.

•  Engineer: Bonus to construction and structural attack.
  •  General: Bonus to unit training and army morale. Stationed bonus.
  •  Soldier: Bonus to attack and unit training. Crushing blow.
  •  Scout: Bonus to movement and sight.
  •  Spy: Like thief. Bonus to looting, sight, and speed.
  •  Thief: Bonus to looting and speed.
  •  Diplomat: Previously disabled trait. Provides diplomatic bonuses. Stationed bonus to diplomatic production.

Bugs:

•  The background text is incomplete and buggy.
  •  Doubling ability bonuses.
  •  Prestige bonuses don't work very well. Need alternative.
  •  Please let me know if there are any problems!

GOOD LUCK! I hope to see Elemental strive into all it's modding glory!

TO DO:
- Implement personality traits
- Fix background text
- Add bonus HP (and possibly defense or dodge) to all heroes and sovereigns- DONE
- Implement Mage mana restoration (Celerity)
- Discover how to implement passive experience gain
- Discover how to implement "attribute based bonuses"
- Introduce a trait to reduce wages
- Re-create all the core NPCs to have new abilities and more uniqueness.
- Balancing

Want to help?

If you'd like to help contact me on the Elemental forums (James009D) or on either of these threads:
http://forums.elementalgame.com/389531
http://forums.elementalgame.com/389389

Also, submit your created heroes for the "Community of Heroes Project"!

Changelog:

• .01 - First Release- Passive abilities, completely new history.
  • .03 - Second Release- Most abilities completed, added new abilities, more new histories.
  • .31- Quickfix- Fixed a bug with the histories text.
  • .34- Updated for gold release. Added icons. Fixed a bug.
  • .35- Added more abilities. Implemented some special abilities.
  • .40- MAJOR UPDATE. Cleaned up a lot of the code, improved bonuses, renamed some traits, improved icons. Updated documentation.
  • .45- Large Update. Fixed the doubling bonuses, hero only bonuses (HP), cleaned up descriptions a little, new "Farmer" history, reworked some traits, balancing, minor cleanup and changes.
  • .46- Added additional but small bonuses (HP multiplier and dodge) to all heroes. Modified some morale bonuses. Fixed a fiancee typo. Re-implemented "Organized" trait.

Old and Outdated Links:

[.34 Link] http://depositfiles.com/files/jvwbozk82

[.40 Link] http://depositfiles.com/files/u4le3c8j2

[.45 Link]  http://www.mediafire.com/?u1dq5iala9c5ot2

• Sovereign Histories
Locked Post 65 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 31, 2010 11:44:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The issue I am struggling with is seeing how to call the UI for player interaction AND to tack nonstat(ability mods) on properly.

Sigh, gonna have to read up on my xml

August 1, 2010 1:54:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting VermillionChaos,
The issue I am struggling with is seeing how to call the UI for player interaction AND to tack nonstat(ability mods) on properly.

I will need to do some reading too sigh .. I'm trying to do something as simple as defining the gold per turn of the merchant talent to 2+2 but idk how the hell to do that in xml lol. Before you say just put 4, I'm trying to figure out how to make addition so in the future I can make the merchant earn (2+ Level of Merchant) per turn . But.. i think thats gona be hard with my current knowledge QQ.

August 1, 2010 2:16:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Problems:

- I can get the modification working but the description text is still reading the original text instead of being modified. For example, History_Merchant has been modified to grant +20 G/turn but the text still displays it as +2 despite my changing it (NOTE: Just for testing purposes).

This means it's being over-ridden by another file and needs to be changed in multiple places. I've seen this same type of thing when modding other games. Some functions are repeated in other scripts or need to be changed in multiple places before the change will take effect. Best bet is check the other files associated with the traits and see if you can find it duplicated. I hope that helps. If I have time later I'll try to find in what other script it's being repeated but I'm almost positive that's the problem.

Great work Folcik. It looks like you're covering a lot of ground. Well done

August 1, 2010 3:22:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Civfreak,

Quoting VermillionChaos, reply 1The issue I am struggling with is seeing how to call the UI for player interaction AND to tack nonstat(ability mods) on properly.

I will need to do some reading too sigh .. I'm trying to do something as simple as defining the gold per turn of the merchant talent to 2+2 but idk how the hell to do that in xml lol. Before you say just put 4, I'm trying to figure out how to make addition so in the future I can make the merchant earn (2+ Level of Merchant) per turn . But.. i think thats gona be hard with my current knowledge QQ.

That's my eventual goal but I decided to start small. So far I've got it so merchants create something like 0.6 gold per turn (anywhere), 1.2 gold/turn in a city, and increase overall city gold output by about 5%. Works pretty good, imo, but the default NPC's are still using the basic setting while my sovereigns and custom NPCs use the new settings. Odd. The problem is that I'm trying to do this modification WITHOUT touching the default code or core XML's... I don't know if that's possible without some sort of an "overwrite" code to put into my AbilitiesMod.

Civfreak, if you figure out your code, lemme know

Quoting Raven X,

quoting post

Problems:

- I can get the modification working but the description text is still reading the original text instead of being modified. For example, History_Merchant has been modified to grant +20 G/turn but the text still displays it as +2 despite my changing it (NOTE: Just for testing purposes).

This means it's being over-ridden by another file and needs to be changed in multiple places. I've seen this same type of thing when modding other games. Some functions are repeated in other scripts or need to be changed in multiple places before the change will take effect. Best bet is check the other files associated with the traits and see if you can find it duplicated. I hope that helps. If I have time later I'll try to find in what other script it's being repeated but I'm almost positive that's the problem.

Great work Folcik. It looks like you're covering a lot of ground. Well done

Again, I'm sure its the default "SovereignTalents.xml" file. My modding was working up until this idea. Seems I gotta replace or disable the original file but I haven't put all the talents into my mod yet. Right now they work for sovereigns perfectly, NPCs are the problem. Pesky NPCs...

Regardless, I'll just upload what I've got now and see if anyone else can get a look at things to come up with some ideas (and also see the sweet new passive bonuses).

Download Link: http://depositfiles.com/files/umg14xi55

August 6, 2010 3:44:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't updated this thread for a while but I do have an update today. I've reworked most of the core histories, talents, and abilities to give them a little more depth. I'm not certain if it's balanced or not but they certainly do bring more depth to characters and choices. I've also added in new histories (General, Politician, Scientist, Arcane Researcher, and Mage), new NPC "histories", and new traits to give the player more options and characters more depth. I'll release my newest update tomorrow when I return home from vacation (where I've been doing the coding). All I need to do is create the new generated text backgrounds for the new histories and maybe add more detail into the descriptions.

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://depositfiles.com/files/umg14xi55

BONUSES RELATED TO ATTRIBUTES:

One thing I've been playing with is making the benefits from talents related to attributes. This gives the character some sort of a "career progression" because as they level up, get smarter, and gain experience they get better at their jobs. Something like this would also give new usage to skills like charisma and intelligence resulting in them being more meaningful.

Only recently did I discover the <calculate> code in the CityLevelUpBonuses.XML file. I theorize that it can be used with character benefits too but I need help getting the code to work.

Here is my example:

Code: xml
  1.             <GameModifier>
  2.                 <ModType>ResourceMultiplier</ModType>
  3.                 <Attribute>Gold</Attribute>
  4.                 <Calculate InternalName = "Value" ValueOwner="Unit">
  5.                     <Expression><![CDATA[[UnitStat_Intelligence] * 10]]></Expression>
  6.                 </Calculate>
  7.                 <PerTurn>1</PerTurn>
  8.             </GameModifier>

This is to test if it can work, it's a "proof of concept" and intended to give me a rather large bonus so I can see it's working. Eventually, I'll balance it and rather then just add a simple 15% on to city income while a Sovereign Merchant is there I'd like the value to be based upon their CHARISMA, INTELLIGENCE, and WISDOM. I'd preferably like there to be a 10% bonus with all attributes set to 10. I'll have to work on the equation but I'm curious if an intelligent coder can review this and let me know if it's possible and what I'm doing wrong. It should be returning a X100 (10x10) multiplier but instead it's multiplying by zero (I assume).

No idea what CDATA is, just left it in from previous code. I'm going to play with this more tomorrow.

PASSIVE EXPERIENCE GAINS:

I'd also like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to add experience per turn to a champion? It'd be nice, especially for the sovereign, if all champions got VERY SMALL amounts of EXP per turn IF they are doing something related to their class (ie. merchants and administrators in cities, adventurers completing quests, scouts exploring...). This would also help add to the career progression of unit classes and allow the player to select between either a "leadership" character or an "action" character.

Example of code:

1.             <GameModifier>
  2.                 <ModType>Unit</ModType>
  3.                 <Attribute>AdjustUnitStat</Attribute>
  4.                 <StrVal>UnitStat_Experience</StrVal>
  5.                 <Value>1.0</Value>
  6.                 <PerTurn>1</PerTurn>
  7.             </GameModifier> -->

I haven't tested this yet because I don't believe it is the correct variable. Will play with this tomorrow. Any insight?

August 8, 2010 3:58:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rather large update today. Total overhaul of the origional traits while remaining true, additional traits, and new histories.

Here is the new download link: http://depositfiles.com/files/umg14xi55

If you have alread downloaded this, delete all the old .XML files before updating. Please report any feedback, it'd be greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

August 8, 2010 6:56:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried using Chrome but that didn't work, so I tried Firefox and it did work.

(I'd really like to try this out, but is there any other download site you could use?   Could it be Google Docs file download shared link, or don't you like sharing things on that/not enough bandwidth? )

Best regards,
Steven.

August 8, 2010 12:43:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Folcik009,

PASSIVE EXPERIENCE GAINS:

I'd also like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to add experience per turn to a champion? It'd be nice, especially for the sovereign, if all champions got VERY SMALL amounts of EXP per turn IF they are doing something related to their class (ie. merchants and administrators in cities, adventurers completing quests, scouts exploring...). This would also help add to the career progression of unit classes and allow the player to select between either a "leadership" character or an "action" character.

Example of code:

<GameModifier>
                <ModType>Unit</ModType>
                <Attribute>AdjustUnitStat</Attribute>
                <StrVal>UnitStat_Experience</StrVal>
                <Value>1.0</Value>
                <PerTurn>1</PerTurn>
            </GameModifier> -->

I haven't tested this yet because I don't believe it is the correct variable. Will play with this tomorrow. Any insight?

Using the Find in Files on Notepad++ on the directory where all the Core*.xml files live:

UnitStat_Experience seems to set how much current experience the unit has. This seems like what you want.

AdjustUnitStat appears to add to the existing stat. That seems like what you want. I'm guessing this based on seeing some description that said "Adds 2 to unit defense" and later on in the definition it uses "AdjustUnitStat" and then a value of 2. Same for some weapons, it does "AdjustUnitStat" then "Attack" and then "Value" and we know weapons add to attack value - so it has to be addition.

So it seems like it could work.

August 8, 2010 5:12:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
I tried using Chrome but that didn't work, so I tried Firefox and it did work.

(I'd really like to try this out, but is there any other download site you could use?   Could it be Google Docs file download shared link, or don't you like sharing things on that/not enough bandwidth? )

Best regards,
Steven.

I don't know many "good" download sites. I've never been a fan of Google and don't have an account so I've never used it. I tried Fileplanet but it didn't take it for some reason. Luckily, I remembered that 2shared is decent and put it up on that for you

2Shared Link: http://www.2shared.com/file/e_oqNk1P/Abilities_Mod_031.html

Good luck Steven!

This link has a quick fix for the histories text. I missed a </flavor text> in the code.

August 9, 2010 12:20:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting VR_IronMana,

Using the Find in Files on Notepad++ on the directory where all the Core*.xml files live:

UnitStat_Experience seems to set how much current experience the unit has. This seems like what you want.

AdjustUnitStat appears to add to the existing stat. That seems like what you want. I'm guessing this based on seeing some description that said "Adds 2 to unit defense" and later on in the definition it uses "AdjustUnitStat" and then a value of 2. Same for some weapons, it does "AdjustUnitStat" then "Attack" and then "Value" and we know weapons add to attack value - so it has to be addition.

So it seems like it could work.

Unfortunately, UnitStat_Experience is related to the experience gained for killing said unit. Raising this value only makes the unit more valuable to kill. I believe there must be a hidden value for tracking experience and once it is discovered we can make passive experience gains.

Good point on the AdjustUnitStat though, I've been using it for just about everything. It's perfect for creating the passive gold per turn effect of the merchants. I kinda think I should try subtracting from the UnitStat_ExpToNextLevel value to see if that comes up with anything. However, I don't think it'll work... time will tell.

IDEA: I will say that playing around with this has given me two ideas for new traits: "Gifted" and "Slow Learner". "Gifted" character gain experience faster because it takes less experience for them to level (10% faster) while "Slow Learners" level slower (10% slower). That'd be a valuable way to use the ExpToNextLevel value!

I still need some programmers insight into the bonuses based on attributes problem. This isn't my cup of tea, lol.

btw... my hotfix wasn't so hot as I'd thought. Turns out I'd missed another line of code so the text still wont work. I'll release another hotfix with my next update. You can fix it yourself, if so inclined, just by deleting one line at the end.

August 9, 2010 12:34:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Folcik009,

Unfortunately, UnitStat_Experience is related to the experience gained for killing said unit. Raising this value only makes the unit more valuable to kill. I believe there must be a hidden value for tracking experience and once it is discovered we can make passive experience gains.

Well, crud.

However, how about this:

<GameModifier>
      <ModType>Unit</ModType>
      <Attribute>GiveExperience</Attribute>
      <Value>25.0</Value>
    </GameModifier>

I saw that with the Book of Experience item. Also the Potion of Experience. We know these add experience. Could it be possible to do:

<GameModifier>
      <ModType>Unit</ModType>
      <Attribute>GiveExperience</Attribute>
      <Value>1.0</Value>
      <PerTurn>1</PerTurn>
    </GameModifier>

For your ability?

August 9, 2010 12:57:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I saw that with the Book of Experience item. Also the Potion of Experience. We know these add experience. Could it be possible to do:

Unit

GiveExperience

For your ability?

I *think* I tried that same line of code and it didn't work. It could've been similar if not the same and the problem I think is the way we want to use <PerTurn> is not the correct way. I think <PerTurn> 1 </PerTurn> just means "yes" it works per turn, 0 probably means no? And the mechanic that actually gives attributes per turn is probably hidden atm.

I haven't been trying more xml modding myself because starting new games on this PC is like 5 mins on a Tiny map with no goodie huts, so trying a simple change takes forever Loading a game doesnt change the attributes either so I'll wait till the release to try more and hopefully it wont take 5 mins to start a new game.

August 9, 2010 3:42:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Civfreak,

I *think* I tried that same line of code and it didn't work. It could've been similar if not the same and the problem I think is the way we want to use <PerTurn> is not the correct way. I think <PerTurn> 1 </PerTurn> just means "yes" it works per turn, 0 probably means no? And the mechanic that actually gives attributes per turn is probably hidden atm.

Yeah, that's what I figured with PerTurn. Since he wants to give XP every turn (I think?) I put that in there. What I'm thinking that code block will do is Give the unit Exp. (GiveExperience) of 1 point (value = 1) every turn (PerTurn = True).

I may be misunderstanding what he's going for, though.

August 9, 2010 3:51:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The goal is to obtain +1 experience point each turn for the unit, yes. Unfortunately, this isn't as simple of a problem as it seems. So far I have yet to understand what "PerTurn" actually does. It doesn't seem to do anything... it's just there. There is no [IF new turn THEN] check as far as I can tell.

I tested the code and it didn't appear to do anything. The unit was not gaining any experience per turn or at all. I at least assumed that it'd give him 1 experience more then any other character... and then my game crashed. I'll double check it one more time to be sure.

In other news, I've started to make some NPC traits that can be applied to NPC heroes. I'm going to make them more along the lines of "personality" traits that'll expand upon the characters a little. For example, you can find a "Famous" NPC who, by owning him/her, other factions gain more respect for you (+1 relations) or a NPC who is "Frisky" and if you merry him/her you gain +1 to number of children.

August 9, 2010 11:49:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hahaha Frisky. That's awesome.

Too bad that code didn't work, though

I can't find any more leads. Every instance in the xml seems to be either the UnitStat_Experience, or the code block above.

Maybe it's only legal on items? Could you give the NPC an "item" that gives the experience? Say the merchant gets a "merchant manual" or something that gives the exp?

August 9, 2010 1:56:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder if we will have to figure all this out by ourselves eventually or if Stardock will drop some pointers eventually when they dont have to worry about the release date. Anyway, I like your ideas for traits, I might even borrow a few when it comes to making my own!

Giving an item every turn would be funny, but if it worked hell I wouldnt mind clicking that every turn . I know I tried to summon an unit every turn but that didn't work Tried modifying the sentinel trait to instead of getting a flat two at start, get them to spawn every 10 turns for example, which would make the trait matter as the game goes on. Although I like Folcik009's change to Warlord history, makes it more longterm than the current iteration.

August 9, 2010 2:01:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think we'd still hit <perturn> difficulties for the experience gain. The AI also wouldn't be able to use it so it'd become rather unbalanced quickly. The goal was to give each base "class" or history a <perturn> experience gain. Sovereigns would gain a little more experience then NPCs but they'd both slowly level up. I'd eventually make it so they gain more of their exp doing something related to their class (adventurers and hunters exploring, administrators and merchants in cities) to encourage that behavior.Anyways, the solution will probably eventually show itself, I suppose we'll just have to be patient or make a discovery.

EDIT: Oh, getting an item each turn for the experience. I'll play with that but I think that'd still be too much micromanagement. Could you imagine having 20 heroes and you didn't "level" them after a couple turns. That'd be a lot of clicking ! Again, the AI wouldn't use it which would eventually unbalancing things. It'd also probably create some "savegame bloat" because the AI NPCs and Sovereigns would be holding many potions [Potion X Turns] that'd just be sitting there taking up memory. We'd probably create our own little memory leak.

It would be nice to have a reference for how to add things per turn, once we have that (either through a mod or Stardock) we can get true per turn bonuses.

P.S. I'm playing around with giving the Warlord and General's better troops. For example, I'm trying to make it so Warlord troops gain something like 1-2 bonus HP and the General has something like 2-4 bonus HP; something a little more meaningful then a small training bonus but still small.

August 10, 2010 1:41:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, with the 'items' I was thinking each NPC just has it. For example, when Joe is defined in the XML with his gear and whatnot - the "EXP item" is one of the things he has equipped. So it wouldn't be a consumed item like a potion or the books, but an equipped one. That might bypass the perturn or whatever it is getting in the way? Wouldn't need clicking unless you took the item off (which - actually - is something I didn't think of).

Though, it doesn't help with your giving EXP by doing a non-combat action related to their class. I don't know where to even begin looking for that But that would be far cooler.

I'm trying to think of things that are triggered only when a Champion/Sovereign is in a city. Perhaps that might be another avenue. When the unit gives it's bonus to the city, then give that unit 1 EXP? Might not be possible to do, though.

And still doesn't do anything with exploring and such outside of cities.

August 23, 2010 4:37:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

UPDATE: Just released the updated copy of this mod for gold retail release. Enjoy!

UPDATE: I'm currently in progress of updating this mod for release. Everything is running but I still need to debug the Sovereign Abilities file for an error... unfortunately, that's also the largest file. Hopefully have it fixed by tonight.

I've also started adding icons to the new histories, traits, and abilities. Right now they are the default icons and, once everything is up and running better, I'll make some more unique custom icons for them.

This mod will re-enable some abilities and histories (ie. Hunter) that were disabled after beta. They won't have their intended beta functions but they will exist with my modified functions.

TO-DO:

• Fix error in Sovereign Abilities I'd deleted a closed bracket
  • Add icons to all abilities, talents, and histories
  • Get functioning on gold release version
  • Make the Warlord Sentinel units free if they aren't already
  • Add new and unique icons
  • Add new traits
    • Money
      • Rich/Poor- Determines starting wealth
    • Starting Allies
      • Animal friend- You start with a wolf companion
      • Bodyguard- Start with one Sentinel
      • Engaged- Start with a companion for marriage
      • Companion- Begin with a NPC companion.
  • Personality Traits (These will have minor or no ingame effects. Only for better roleplay.)
    • Friendly/Mean
    • Honest/Corrupt
    • Patient/Short-Tempered
    • Outgoing/Shy
    • Conservative/Liberal
    • Masculine/Effeminate
    • Young/Old- Old people have less children.

HELP NEEDED:

I need a coder to inform me of how I can implement "attribute based abilities".

My goal is to see traits and abilities improved. With this mod most traits and professions gain a "passive bonus" that usually benefits you while stationed in cities. A merchant, for example, gains more gold stationed in a city then in the wilderness. He also gives the city a small multiplier bonus. This makes more sense instead of him scouting the landscape he is remaining in the city trading.

HOWEVER, I've been trying to tie these bonuses to the character's attributes with no success. I need someone to fill in the blanks in the coding here. For example, I want a merchant to gain .2 gold + (1/100) wisdom + (1/25) charisma + (1/30) intelligence/ per turn... how do I code this into the <Modifier> in the .XML. I'm stuck.

With all attributes at 10 the Merchant should gain ~+0.8 gold/per turn while stationed in a city. I don't want it to be a "perfect" number, I like the randomization of it. Might need to nerf the equation for late game concerns though.

I'd also like merchants to gain XP for being stationed in a city. No idea how to implement that either...

If any artists could create some art (icons, skins, and eyes) I'd love to add them into the mod.

Tester would be appreciated too

August 26, 2010 6:26:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Love where you're going with this and really appreciate your work.

I do have a suggestion.  Could you update the original post to show how things ARE as of the most recent update?  It's not clear to me exactly what's in place and what's in planning with the mod. Maybe I'm just a dumbarse, but I can'ts figure it out. 

I say this because it says "Here's what I'm thinking..." and not "Here's what's FINISHED" and "Here's what's still in the works..."  That sort of wording would help me figure out if I want to d/l this or not.

Thanks again for your hard work! I really like the idea you have of a hero getting part of the benefits for being away from a city and full bennies for being stationed IN the city. 

August 26, 2010 1:31:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Apologies, my modding is kinda hectic. And, yeah, I'm kinda unorganized right now. The values could change daily and it's difficult to track them. But I do intend to do that one of these days (on the TO-DO list). The best bet would be to check the changelog (in the readme) but that's about as descriptive as a piece of notebook paper.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try and release another update tonight with new talents, some special abilities for traits, personality traits (cosmetic only), and, hopefully, passive XP gain (maybe).

August 26, 2010 2:34:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As to your "How To" im pretty sure <ResourceShared> is a boolean flag, either 1 or 0. what exactly <ResourceShared> impacts, havent looked to much into that.

August 26, 2010 3:38:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe it defines whether or not that resources is shared between cities. I don't know exactly how it work (if at all) but it probably can restrict a resource to one city. For example, a "Community Garden" improvement might grant you one food. With <ResourceShared> 0 that food SHOULD only be available to that city alone.

I haven't tried modding improvements or buildings yet, it's on my TO-DO list.

August 26, 2010 3:42:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I belive <perturn> is also a boolean flag, and it seems that some <ModTypes> allow for calculated values, and others dont allow for them. Only reason i can think of that all my attempts dont work. If its true, then i hope we can get them to change that, <description> and anything with a <Value> should be calcable, unlike now.

August 26, 2010 4:01:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmmm, I just tried something different and it didn't work either:

<GameModifier>
                <ModType>ProduceResource</ModType>
                <Attribute>Gold</Attribute>
                <Calculate InternalName = "Value" ValueOwner="Unit">
                    <Expression><![CDATA[[UnitStat_Intelligence]+[UnitStat_Charisma]]]></Expression>
                </Calculate>
                <PerTurn>1</PerTurn>
            </GameModifier>

I thought I'd try a different ModType to see if it'd calculate it. I'll try changing to ValueOwner in it too.

I hope this isn't something Stardock needs to "fix". That'd suck

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0008891   Page Render Time: