Can't reply on the forums with an iPad (thinks no text is entered)

By on July 26, 2010 8:28:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

B G P Hughes

Join Date 10/2003
+4

Did a search for this but didn't find anything, so wondered if this was unique or if no one has reported it:

When you reply to a post on these forums using your iPad, when you click on the submit button, you get the error message that you can't post empty replies - even though you have a full reply typed out. I've tried copy & paste to a new reply, and retyping, but this happens every time. Net, I can read the forums on my iPad, but I can't post anything.

I haven't tried creating a post - presume it's the same, but switched to a PC to  post this one.

Locked Post 40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 26, 2010 9:04:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wonder how long till someone takes the opportunity to ridicule the iCantPostPad. Ok maybe I just did in a way

I would think with many Stardockians having and posting from ipads on the forums, that if a universal problem existed it would of been made known on here by now. Makes it sound like it may be a somewhat unique issue.

July 26, 2010 9:10:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I despise apple and all it makes so I cant help except to say

That is what you get for buying a oversized i pod touch from a "extremely unique" company that makes "innovative products

maby it just not entering the text right, try updating the i pad or changing some of your settings.

July 26, 2010 9:14:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DethAdder,
Wonder how long till someone takes the opportunity to ridicule the iCantPostPad. Ok maybe I just did in a way

Oooh Ooh I'll go I'll go...

Ok I figured out your problem. The reason why you can't post with the iPad is BECAUSE you're using a iPad

To fix the problem, all you have to do is sit down at your desk and turn on your PC.

July 26, 2010 9:24:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

iCantPostPad.
Now that's funny right there,I don't care who ya are.

I've had that problem before on WC with IE8 on my desktop PC. The reply box would show no toolbars at top and attempting to post would get the same error you report. It seems to have fixed itself as I haven't seen it for a while now.  Have you tried logging off, clearing your cookies and logging back on?

July 26, 2010 9:32:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

B G P Hughes:

I would suggest a pm to Island Dog. He's the resident Tech Evangelist and mavin of the iPad. He uses one, as well.

http://www.wincustomize.com/users/673228/island%20dog 

(The PM option is in the upper right corner)

Good luck!

July 26, 2010 10:11:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We use TinyMCE as our editor on the forums.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the iPad or any iOS device are supported by TinyMCE:

"It's currently impossible for us to add iPhone/iPad support since WebKit on these devices lacks any form of caret within contentEditable areas."

If there are enough people using iPads to post on the forums, I'll find an alternative solution.  At the moment, there are very few doing so, so I will not be taking the time to research and implement a different solution just for the iPad.

Bara

July 26, 2010 10:17:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,
We use TinyMCE as our editor on the forums.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the iPad or any iOS device are supported by TinyMCE:

"It's currently impossible for us to add iPhone/iPad support since WebKit on these devices lacks any form of caret within contentEditable areas."

If there are enough people using iPads to post on the forums, I'll find an alternative solution.  At the moment, there are very few doing so, so I will not be taking the time to research and implement a different solution just for the iPad.

Bara

See, I was RIGHT!!! hehe j/k...

....no I'm not, get a PC

July 26, 2010 10:22:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

get a PC

I'm a PC....and iCan post.

July 26, 2010 10:26:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

get a PC

I'm a PC....and iCan post.

HahahaHAHahhaha...nice

July 26, 2010 12:17:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yes get a PC windows computer no apple or macintosh. "lets pay 1000 dollars for a "high quality" second rate computer from a company that overcopywrights everything they make

(just look at itunes it takes over your computers multimedia if you install it)

I am a great hater of apple and macintosh.  if i had a trillion dollars id buy apple and shut it down!!!

July 26, 2010 12:45:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

July 26, 2010 12:52:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Everyone's bashing apple!! Can i join?? Can i?

July 26, 2010 1:07:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The iPad is just another one of those expensive gadgets which some people think makes them look cool.

Of course, as soon as you realize it's no use for anything, instead of looking cool you look like a prat.

July 26, 2010 1:38:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ironic when people get upset about not being able to use a feature of WINcustomize on a NON-WINdows system.

July 26, 2010 1:52:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,

Bara

Ok so this is why I cannot post from my Blackberry. Oh well maybe someday.

July 26, 2010 2:18:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Phoon,
Ironic when people get upset about not being able to use a feature of WINcustomize on a NON-WINdows system.

Also funny when people assume everything has to do with Wincustomize.

July 26, 2010 2:24:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

did it originate from JU? If not, then it's a Wincustomize forum.

July 26, 2010 3:13:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Phoon,

did it originate from JU? If not, then it's a Wincustomize forum.

FYI, all Stardock sites see the Forum Issues forum, so it could have come from anywhere, including elementalgame.com, impulsedriven.com, or stardock.com.  Although Stardock IS primarily Windows-based company, so it doesn't really make sense to spend too much time supporting non-Windows OS'.

Bara

July 26, 2010 3:48:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bara makes a good point.

Can play Elemental => Have a PC => Can view the forum. Maybe not as conveniently as with an IPad but oh well.

July 26, 2010 3:59:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting elvee,

Quoting GunslingerBara,
reply 6

Bara

I have the same issue from my windows mobile phone ,but I can still check the the forums and skin coments!

July 26, 2010 6:49:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am a great hater of apple and macintosh. if i had a trillion dollars id buy apple and shut it down!!!

Or you could keep it operating to pay those poor Chinese (almost slave labour) workers a decent wage...

..... and make Windows products instead. 

July 27, 2010 12:28:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the replies (at least, the sensible ones). Obviously I have a PC too, else I wouldn't be making regular posts or sending in beta test reports, but I've been away and wanted to continue participating via my iPad. I guess it's early days for iPads (et al) anyway, so I wasn't hugely surprised to have a glitch. Nevertheless, figured those who run the site might want to know, 'cos eventually these evil Apple devices will probably be worth catering for.

July 27, 2010 1:24:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting elvee,
Quoting GunslingerBara, reply 6We use TinyMCE as our editor on the forums.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the iPad or any iOS device are supported by TinyMCE:

Bara

Nope... somebody terminated you.

Hey, elvee!.... hope you're doin' better! And how's your new kiddie? Good to see you around!

July 27, 2010 4:33:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nope... somebody terminated you.

Hey, elvee!.... hope you're doin' better! And how's your new kiddie? Good to see you around!

I am getting back to normal soon and my little guy has my Handsome good looks and his mother's temper...oops! Hear she comess.........!!!!!!

July 27, 2010 5:40:31 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

This isn't a matter of fanboy/hater.

I have an iPad which travels with me for business reasons, for accessing a Windows environment.  So happens that mobile Safari displays the forums just fine but as Bara said, it is not capable of creating posts.  It would be nice if it did, as I find the virtual keyboard relatively easy to use.  I expect at some point it will.  Till then, JU is read-only on the iPad.

Not a problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time: