Mutant Children

I’m open minded

Locked Post 132 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 26, 2010 9:45:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm so disappointed with this game so far...

July 26, 2010 9:48:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If they allow Homosexuality, I think we could get our BEER back to right?

July 26, 2010 9:54:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TucoBenedicto,

Well... two things:

1. It's not really a game yet

2. what makes you so disappointed? 

July 26, 2010 10:23:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TucoBenedicto,

Care to explain? I have some problems with certain design decisions, but overall I can't wait for v1.0. Lot of stuff -what we don't like- can be changed via modding, so I am not worried.

July 26, 2010 10:46:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

Quoting Sushikawa,
reply 15

Quoting pad152, reply 14How the spell book is not broken down by magic types?

Book of Earth Magic

- Spell 1

- Spell 2

etc.

Book of Water Macic

- Spell 1

- Spell 2

etc.
This is what I don't understand.

Breaking / organizing spells into spell books would make a lot of sense. It would also let the player see what spell books they have rather than the current system where I have no idea what spell books I have due to research.

I agree I can never tell what spell books I have access to. Little more organization in the area would be nice.

July 26, 2010 10:47:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sushikawa,

Quoting TucoBenedicto, reply 51I'm so disappointed with this game so far...

Well... two things:

1. It's not really a game yet

2. what makes you so disappointed? 

Indeed. If you were expecting the usual 'basically finished game' beta of Blizzard, et nearly-all then I think you were misinformed. Atm you certainly aren't expected to be feeling this is a polished, nearly-complete game. Everybody (SD included) is aware that there is a Lot of work needed going on from 3C to release. So don't worry about that .

July 26, 2010 11:31:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting spathi-wa,

Quoting porternielsen, reply 19With the two gentlemen marrying each other I vote no. If someone wants to make a mod then let them, but please don't push that on everyone else. I could make a lot of explanations as to why I don't want to see this but I think I will keep it simple and just ask politely that you don't include that in the game.  
When presented with a gay marriage/straight marriage, or be good/be evil choice, I cannot understand why anyone would propose to remove the choice altogether.

How does this work? Can anyone explain how it's a good idea to remove the choice? If I was always going to choose one of the two options, and especially in this context when the options are never presented to you directly, and the choice you make is not from an active stance but from merely not doing the opposite thing, e.g. gay marriage - the game will - IMO - never ask you to marry a man to another man. You as the player exercise the option to create, or avoid, that situation. Having made it clear that you would never exercise that option, I would like to know how you justify removing that option from other players who may or may not want to exercise it. Another poster has already asked you to explain further, saying that you are forcing your opinion on others. That is exactly what it looks like, so I'm hoping you will clarify.

Next youll have those religous types saying "NO WITCHCRAFT!".

Then some hippy will say "no war,  duuuuuudeee"

And then all we will be left with is Elemental: Of.

Which some governer of some state in the USA will object to as he wants the children in his land to grow up learning about the firery gods of sarcrfice and dosn't want them to know anything about science.

And then they will come for Brad, and nobody will be left to stand up and say "Don't be a foo!" because all the fun of the game was destroyed by interest groups. Let us now mourne the passing of fun.

July 26, 2010 11:42:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Spathi-wa thank you for being someone who didn't attack me for my oppinion. I appreciate that.

So to answer your question I will respond with a question. What would be some reason for someone not to want a game in which you could choose to rape others even though you would never choose that option?

To me it is a moral issue and it doesn't serve a purpose in the game. It is contriversal, obviously; and I think I am not the only one who has these views.

Now someone might say, well you can murder in the game why not take that out too, and why not take out stealing, and take out everything bad?  To to be as honest as I can be with you, I don't exactly know.  I think there are some moral delimmas we want to face and some we don't in games. I don't want to face an option for rape but I am fine with murder as an option in the game even though I will never murder anyone. So why is one so obviously bad to put in the game and another is fine? I don't know, but it is a moral delimma that I don't want to have to face in a game.

July 26, 2010 11:45:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KellenDunk,

Quoting porternielsen, reply 19With the two gentlemen marrying each other I vote no. If someone wants to make a mod then let them, but please don't push that on everyone else. I could make a lot of explanations as to why I don't want to see this but I think I will keep it simple and just ask politely that you don't include that in the game.

I love the way you are talking about this.  That something is available means it's forced upon you. What you don't see is that the ones doing the forcing are the ones opposed to the subject.

I don't think it's going to be possible to marry your son to another man in this game simply because an heir is important in these kinds of transactions, but if it were you could simply not engage in it.  You could even outright refuse any marriage between partners of the same gender that were offered to you.  This would allow you to engage in a fantasy in which you're the "pure" ruler in a world full of barbaric homosexuals.

I would say your argument is just as ridiculous. Should they add child molesters? Or perhaps add rape to the game, or any other choice that a person can do? Your claiming that those who oppose something are the oppressors but if something is allowed, regardless of whether someone chooses to participate, still shows acceptance of it. To those who find this topic morally offensive, that would in fact be "forcing" it on them. I am not saying I disagree or agree with the topic of homosexuality, I just think you should see it from both sides.

Quoting the Gorgon,
It would be great if you include same-sex marriages as a way to link your civ with others even if you don't have the possibility to get an heir from that arrangement. Can't believe that would be controversial for anyone with fitting age and IQ to play Elemental. I mean, today same sex marriages are celebrated in CHURCH, and so what? The greatest empire builder and warlord of all time, Alexander the Great, was more into men than women BTW. So why couldn't a sovereign be? You get to marry off your cute princess to a troll-like monster but not to an amazon queen - now THAT would be backward thinking ... I refrain from bringing up a discrimination discussion, but hey, just like the discussion on female friendly features, please make a game for our time, and you will get a lot of fan good-will back in the long run, you can be sure.     

Don't spread misinformation please. What Church are you talking about? Not the Catholic Church, nor the Orthodox church, nor the Islamic churches allow, nor celebrate Homosexual marriages. Even most protestant churches do not allow Homosexual marriages. You are talking about a very small minority that do allow and/or celebrate it.

Another thing, Alexander was not the greatest empire builder and warlord of all time. That honor goes to Ghenghis Khan who conquered the largest empire in the history of the world. I would than also go on to say look at the Roman Empire. They are probably the greatest influence on modern civilization of any other empire, not to mention the longest standing empire of all time. Alexander's empire was very short lived and did not last past his death.

I really hope your not getting all your information from the movie that came out a few years ago. It is true that in Greece, it was acceptable for older men to have sex with younger boys, but I would not say that Alexander especially loved a guy more than a woman and same sex marriage was never allowed. While they may have enjoyed homosexual sex on occasion, they understood that it had nothing to do with marriage as a marriage encompassed a man and a woman who could produce offspring to continue the family line. The movie may have portrayed Alexander in that way but it was a dramatization and personal opinion, not actual historical fact. I also don't equate racial marriage to be the same thing as same sex marriage as you are doing. 

July 26, 2010 11:55:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting porternielsen,
Spathi-wa thank you for being someone who didn't attack me for my oppinion. I appreciate that.

So to answer your question I will respond with a question. What would be some reason for someone not to want a game in which you could choose to rape others even though you would never choose that option?

To me it is a moral issue and it doesn't serve a purpose in the game. It is contriversal, obviously; and I think I am not the only one who has these views.

Now someone might say, well you can murder in the game why not take that out too, and why not take out stealing, and take out everything bad?  To to be as honest as I can be with you, I don't exactly know.  I think there are some moral delimmas we want to face and some we don't in games. I don't want to face an option for rape but I am fine with murder as an option in the game even though I will never murder anyone. So why is one so obviously bad to put in the game and another is fine? I don't know, but it is a moral delimma that I don't want to have to face in a game.

Your questions and concerns are good ones, and to Spathi-wa I would say this. Does adding homosexual marriage to the game offer anything real, other than to be a trivial choice that you have turned into a big deal because of the issue of homosexuality in the world today? It offers no benefit, nor does it add anything really special or interesting to the game. It is a moral dilemma for some and that is a good reason to avoid it especially when it is completely out of context and trivial. 

If you take into context what would be the norms of such a world, the moral choices that would be made would include issues of murder, stealing, etc. These have meaning to the world and its' characters because these are the important choices which will be made and the choices that are made by nations all the time. Nations do not go on deliberating on whether they should marry their daughter off to another woman from another kingdom to cement an alliance just because some adolescent thinks it would be "cool" or "hot" for two women to be together. It is not practical and serves no purpose whatsoever because no heir would be produced of such a union and to the people of this kind of world and setting, that is what matters. Think about it. They live in a wasteland and I would imagine most of the people of the world have died due to famine, plagues, monsters, etc. I am pretty sure that their priority is populating the world and finding food, not anything else.

July 26, 2010 12:03:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The two are not even remotely related, and you implying they are is an insult to every rape victim. Congratulations.

Everyone knows a willful marriage/union of two men or two women is the same as extreme forced physical abuse, right?

July 26, 2010 12:05:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have a question, are transsexuals allowed to marry?

July 26, 2010 12:07:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Flood gate arguments are a red herring logical fallacy.

To put it in another way, where does the developer have to draw the line with anyone's moral sensibilities? These are subjective to each person, and not universally objective. For example, what if a person demanded females to have covered faces, or no interracial relationships, or no this or that or the other thing.

My answer to that question is, the developers should go with their gut feeling, and not play to the whims of everyone's sensibilities. That's free speech in action. As long as it fits in with the lore, and they feel it adds to the gameplay why would it bother you? Now I also don't think they should have it just to be politically polite.

If something in the game offends you, don't buy it, or mod it out yourself. Don't go demanding censorship so that you don't, god forbid, see something you're offended by. Don't try to push your moral qualms on people who obviously don't think exactly the same way you do.

And it sickens me when people compare something non-violent, mutual, which has no effect on you or your life, or anyone elses who's not involved, to things like rape, killing, and child molestation. They are clearly completely different things, completely different levels, and one group is completely justifiable, while the other one is just plain prejudice.

Again, they'll have it in the game if they feel it has a purpose. Get over it.

July 26, 2010 12:07:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

The two are not even remotely related, and you implying they are is an insult to every rape victim. Congratulations.

Everyone knows a willful marriage/union of two men or two women is the same as extreme forced physical abuse, right?

It really doesn't matter if you don't equate them as the same thing. He is talking about a matter of choice, regardless if it is such a terrible thing as rape, or something much simpler, as lying. Just because you have the choice to do something does not mean it should be allowed. You are talking about Chaos, because that is all that would come of allowing everyone whatever their whim may be. Don't attack him because he knew of no other words to use. You are trying to vilify him for not following your line of thinking. 

July 26, 2010 12:12:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SpaghettiMon,
Flood gate arguments are a red herring logical fallacy.

To put it in another way, where does the developer have to draw the line with anyone's moral sensibilities? These are subjective to each person, and not universally objective. For example, what if a person demanded females to have covered faces, or no interracial relationships, or no this or that or the other thing.

My answer to that question is, the developers should go with their gut feeling, and not play to the whims of everyone's sensibilities. That's free speech in action. As long as it fits in with the lore, and they feel it adds to the gameplay why would it bother you? Now I also don't think they should have it just to be politically polite.

If something in the game offends you, don't buy it, or mod it out yourself. Don't go demanding censorship so that you don't, god forbid, see something you're offended by. Don't try to push your moral qualms on people who obviously don't think exactly the same way you do.

And it sickens me when people compare something non-violent, mutual, which has no effect on you or your life, or anyone elses who's not involved, to things like rape, killing, and child molestation. They are clearly completely different things, completely different levels, and one group is completely justifiable, while the other one is just plain prejudice.

I agree, where do they have to draw the line with anyone's moral sensibilities? But that goes both ways. Again, what you are proposing is the same thing that you are condemning. Of course a line must be drawn eventually as you mentioned, but I would draw the line at what fits in the context of the game, not something that is just extra fluff with no substance.

It is true that there are different degrees of what is wrong. A simple lie would not be seen the same as killing, etc. But I would say to you, that all that is wrong is just plain wrong regardless of the effect it has on others or yourself. Comparing degrees of wrong is a futile argument in my opinion.

July 26, 2010 12:13:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting the Gorgon,
It would be great if you include same-sex marriages as a way to link your civ with others even if you don't have the possibility to get an heir from that arrangement. Can't believe that would be controversial for anyone with fitting age and IQ to play Elemental. I mean, today same sex marriages are celebrated in CHURCH, and so what? The greatest empire builder and warlord of all time, Alexander the Great, was more into men than women BTW. So why couldn't a sovereign be? You get to marry off your cute princess to a troll-like monster but not to an amazon queen - now THAT would be backward thinking ... I refrain from bringing up a discrimination discussion, but hey, just like the discussion on female friendly features, please make a game for our time, and you will get a lot of fan good-will back in the long run, you can be sure.     

While Alexander did like to play foo-foo with the boys it would not have been tolerated had he married one. Besides Marriage was an economic/ political arrangement not based on feelings and such. There would be no advantage to same sex marriage in this environment. After all two men or two women can’t have kids unless they use magic.  

July 26, 2010 12:16:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It really doesn't matter if you don't equate them as the same thing. He is talking about a matter of choice, regardless if it is such a terrible thing as rape, or something much simpler, as lying. Just because you have the choice to do something does not mean it should be allowed. You are talking about Chaos, because that is all that would come of allowing everyone whatever their whim may be. Don't attack him because he knew of no other words to use. You are trying to vilify him for not following your line of thinking.

He vilified himself. He had absolutely no answer to the original posed question and went off on a tangent. There's no "moral" issue with rape, as there is with same-sex marriage. There's no "legalize rape!" movement in society. You don't get to compare rape to a purely moral issue and then say "Oh but I only meant in terms of choice!". It doesn't work that way. It's not only idiotic, but also a completely nonsensical argument. Just because one thing isn't explicitly filtered, does not mean it's specifically designed that way.

July 26, 2010 12:20:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I get the feeling this isn't the kind of feedback Brad wanted lol.

However much we like to look down on people who still use the old obsolete moral system from thousands of years ago that was replaced recently with the up to date HRSv3. Stardock will do what Stardock wants to. And by Stardock I mean Brad. And by Brad I mean THE DEVIL! No... wait forget that last bit.

July 26, 2010 12:24:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BlackRainZ,

Quoting SpaghettiMon, reply 63Flood gate arguments are a red herring logical fallacy.

I agree, where do they have to draw the line with anyone's moral sensibilities? But that goes both ways. Again, what you are proposing is the same thing that you are condemning. Of course a line must be drawn eventually as you mentioned, but I would draw the line at what fits in the context of the game, not something that is just extra fluff with no substance.

It is true that there are different degrees of what is wrong. A simple lie would not be seen the same as killing, etc. But I would say to you, that all that is wrong is just plain wrong regardless of the effect it has on others or yourself. Comparing degrees of wrong is a futile argument in my opinion.

Like I said, they should only include it if it fits a function within the context of the game and its lore. It shouldn't be there just to be polite. I feel it also shouldn't be taken out just to be polite if they do feel it has a purpose.

And that's a nice opinion you have on things either being plain wrong, or right; however, I see the world in shades of gray, not black and white like you do apparently. 

Want my opinion? Any argument or opinion that can't be objectively justified with empirical evidence or objective logic is invalid. That includes morality.

July 26, 2010 12:27:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

It really doesn't matter if you don't equate them as the same thing. He is talking about a matter of choice, regardless if it is such a terrible thing as rape, or something much simpler, as lying. Just because you have the choice to do something does not mean it should be allowed. You are talking about Chaos, because that is all that would come of allowing everyone whatever their whim may be. Don't attack him because he knew of no other words to use. You are trying to vilify him for not following your line of thinking.

He vilified himself. He had absolutely no answer to the original posed question and went off on a tangent. There's no "moral" issue with rape, as there is with same-sex marriage. There's no "legalize rape!" movement in society. You don't get to compare rape to a purely moral issue and then say "Oh but I only meant in terms of choice!". It doesn't work that way. It's not only idiotic, but also a completely nonsensical argument. Just because one thing isn't explicitly filtered, does not mean it's specifically designed that way.

The guy made a statement, which he had every right to make, which was not out of anger in anyway. You obviously seem angry at what he said because of your own personal feelings. I see nothing wrong in what he said. There was nothing offensive or against the forum rules, so yes, you are vilifying him for no reason. And there is a moral issue with same-sex marriage, you just don't agree with it, which does not lessen the moral issue for those who do. So, your logic is that because in society there is a movement to legalize same sex marriage, that makes it okay? I disagree and most Americans would as well, not that that makes it right or wrong.

July 26, 2010 12:32:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SpaghettiMon,

Quoting BlackRainZ, reply 65
Quoting SpaghettiMon, reply 63Flood gate arguments are a red herring logical fallacy.

Like I said, they should only include it if it fits a function within the context of the game and its lore. It shouldn't be there just to be polite. I feel it also shouldn't be taken out just to be polite if they do feel it has a purpose.

And that's a nice opinion you have on things either being plain wrong, or right; however, I see the world in shades of gray, not black and white like you do apparently. 

Want my opinion? Any argument or opinion that can't be objectively justified with empirical evidence or objective logic is invalid. That includes morality.

It is a nice opinion, which keeps me from doing wrong most of the time as I am not perfect. It also keeps me from judging others and trying to belittle others. I am not trying to insult anyone and nothing I have said was meant to insult, nor am I angry at any of the posts as some others seem to be. I also understand both sides of the argument and the feelings involved, something which I feel like you don't despite you seeing the world in shades of gray. Anyway, this conversation is going off topic now.

July 26, 2010 12:48:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BlackRainZ,

Quoting SpaghettiMon, reply 69
Quoting BlackRainZ, reply 65

It is a nice opinion, which keeps me from doing wrong most of the time as I am not perfect. It also keeps me from judging others and trying to belittle others. I am not trying to insult anyone and nothing I have said was meant to insult, nor am I angry at any of the posts as some others seem to be. I also understand both sides of the argument and the feelings involved, something which I feel like you don't despite you seeing the world in shades of gray. Anyway, this conversation is going off topic now.

I didn't accuse you of any of that. I just try to be straight forward. Could you please elaborate on how I don't see both sides? Arguments should be based on facts, not emotions. I haven't seen anything that justifies taking it out, other than people not feeling comfortable while not being able to explain it without bringing up things like rape and murder. 

Anyways, I agree we probably shouldn't derail this thread anymore. If you're compelled to respond let's take it to PM.

It's funny how something that's probably a bug opened this big can of worms. Sorry I'm quite amused by how easily people are offended by something so insignificant (in my opinion of course).

July 26, 2010 1:00:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This kind of thing is not insignificant to those whos entire belief system hindges on such things. Which is a good point about something in game.

(OMG Something about Elemental the game!)

The only belief system seems to be Kingdom vs Empire or Life vs Death which isn't really what Im talking about. Where is the holy rites? The sarcrifices to sun gods? The black church? The regalia stained with blood?

Im guessing this will all be absent right? I do love a nice religious aspect in games.

July 26, 2010 1:01:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The spell name shouldn't be "Bring Forth the Imp".  In a proper respect to Pulp Fiction, it should be "Bring Out the Imp" (gimp).

July 26, 2010 1:03:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good job everyone.  Discussing things like this on internet forums always leads to a constructive conclusion.  It's never ever a complete waste of time that just leads to bad feelings and higher blood pressure.

Well played everyone, well played.

*sarcasm off*

Stop cluttering game-related threads with this futile BS.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: