Is the stardock team amazing or is it amazing?

By on July 19, 2010 8:20:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TCores

Join Date 02/2010
+13

Here's a hypothetical here: does working a 12 hour day just to get a beta out so the community can test it not immediately qualify for the suggestion that they are very hard working and dedicated?

What about if they worked 12 hour days for two weeks straight, then worked the weekend too?

That suggests to me that they are, in fact, not merely dedicated but composed of some kind of diamond-infused super-flesh, instead of normal human flesh.

This post is not for the business of ass-kissin' (not that they don't deserve it) but for the very good reason of highlighting what an amazing job the team from Michigan is doing. It sucks to work extremely hard and not get recognition for what you're doing.

I understand Brad stays there right to the very end. That makes him a good guy: usually, the manager making you work til you drop buggers off around five every day.

Cari is of course extremely hard working, and somehow manages to answer questions over IRC even at 1 AM EST. I wouldn't even be coherent.

Kyro is also doing hard work. Did you know, every time he does a bug roundup, he has to read through every single post on the beta forums? I couldn't imagine having to do that day in, day out.

I'd thank more of you, but I don't know who else is working on the project! Show yourselves for purposes of your fans lavishing gratitude upon you.

Locked Post 55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 20, 2010 12:15:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

you guys deserve it. i hope that once you get through the crunch time and release, you can all take a couple weeks off for vacation. we forget that we also owe it to your families as well, can't be easy on them either.

July 20, 2010 2:37:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I too wanted to come here and make sure that my heartfelt appreciation of the developers is heard.

You have done an outstanding job. And you are still doing an outstanding job.

I'm glad TCores got this up here, because to a lot of us out here, all of you are absolutely appreciated. And we don't even know all the names or even how many of you are on the job for Elemental.

But what I do know. That words from strangers with heartfelt gratitude are often the honest feeling one has unencumbered. I know that often your work is thankless. Your invisible, at times. Because, you're out slamming back code, and solving problems, and getting quests in and making sure the spells hook up right, and that the polish is working out as intended. That the music is playing without causing issues. And that someone is out there beating down the road code, and someone is ripping apart drivers so those of us with Nvidia cards can see not only the regular map, but the tactical map!

Your work ethic is appreciated, and this game deserves to be a #1 seller. 

So thank you again to all those at Stardock who've been working on this game, for years, and years. It is appreciated. Beyond the lack of language to convey our true appreciation.

July 20, 2010 10:07:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

July 20, 2010 3:37:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stardock isn't amazing.....they transcend being amazing.

July 20, 2010 3:45:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gotta offer a "Thank You All" for the work done to date as well.

July 20, 2010 3:46:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

They've ascended to favorite game developer on my list.

It's a very high honor I promise, only bioware comes close in quality game-making, they are just a bit weak on the customer interaction and suggestion facet.

July 20, 2010 4:39:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am amazed too to see people working late on Friday and on week-end for this game. And I am impressed that a lot of them come to the forums to talk and explain things.

Respect!

July 20, 2010 6:07:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. You guys at Stardock are awesome. Keep up the good work. I'm sure you guys will nail everything down as you always do.

July 20, 2010 7:04:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When we were all worried that the game wouldn't be ready in time, Frogboy kept bringing up all the changes in the Sins and GalCiv2 betas and releases (there weren't even starbases in the GC2 beta!) to reassure us. I believed him, but I have to say this beta has far surpassed my expectations - whatever amazing last minute changes went into GC2 after the beta, I think you've outdone them with the Elemental beta, and it's still going. However y'all do it - long hours, dedication, whatever else it takes - it definitely shows, I can't wait to see the final release.

[Now patiently awaiting Starbases to be added in Elemental, Brad kept going on about them, I can't imagine why unless he planned to add them in here too.]

July 20, 2010 7:31:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would also like to give a  big thank to the crew at Stardock. I've said it a couple of times in my posts already. It's not sucking up, it's not ass-kissing. You know why? I've already spent 50 bucks of my hard earned money to preorder. To most, pre-oredering a game may not be a big deal. I've NEVER preordered ANYTHING. Well, except for tickets to events, otherwise it would suck showing up to not get it, but I digress. I never join message forums. Most people annoy me. I have to say that the community here is pretty cool as well. I simply did because it looked like a cool game, and I wanted to be able to beta test. I mainly ordered it based off the fact that this is the team that brought about Galactic Civilizations 2. In my mind, that is THE best game EVER. I'm sure there are many out there that would disagree with me, but I don't care. It's all about gameplay, and this team has it in the bag. Look at the progression from GC2 to Twilight of the Arnor. Gaming bliss in my mind. So, after playing E:WOM now, I can see the potential. I have to control my mind sometimes thinking of what it will be like on the second expansion, or will there be three? I'm not worried about the release date as some other people are, as the game is going to evolve over time and become a masterpiece. And someone over there at Stardock NEEDS to setup a paypal account, damnit! The time and effort everyone puts in over there is absolutely amazing. Thanks, and keep going strong for a long time to come!

July 20, 2010 7:51:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I pre-ordered on the first day this game became available because I already knew the Stardock team was amazing. But even having said that, the beta and interaction with the Stardock folks has been far beyond my (already inflated) expectations.

July 20, 2010 8:02:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know right!? We're so amazing. So glorious! Not enough can be said about us, really

July 20, 2010 8:02:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Couldn't agree more with the posts in this thread. 
To sum it all up in a single emoticon and three words:

You guys rock.

July 20, 2010 8:13:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SD_Zebrafox,
I know right!? We're so amazing. So glorious! Not enough can be said about us, really

Look who's shown up again

July 20, 2010 9:47:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SD_Zebrafox,

You need one of those shiny developer icons!

July 20, 2010 10:11:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

here here to stardock           Best company evarrrr

July 20, 2010 10:17:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But what I do know. That words from strangers with heartfelt gratitude are often the honest feeling one has unencumbered. I know that often your work is thankless. Your invisible, at times. Because, you're out slamming back code, and solving problems, and getting quests in and making sure the spells hook up right, and that the polish is working out as intended.

Your work ethic is appreciated, and this game deserves to be a #1 seller.

So thank you again to all those at Stardock who've been working on this game, for years, and years. It is appreciated. Beyond the lack of language to convey our true appreciation.

Absolutely thanks to Stardock. This is a good post and explains why I feel they deserved a thread and the gratitude.

July 21, 2010 2:51:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stardock is amazing. Great people, great games, and with Impulse at their side they are the only publisher/developer offering a reasonable solution to the current state of gaming on the PC today. Not only does Stardock offer the best digital platform with Impulse but their support is of the highest quality available. I have absolutely no problem supporting this company. Stardock is leading by example and other publishers and developers should be taking notes. I've become very frusterated with the gaming industry in the current state it's in and Stardock is the only company moving in the right direction.

http://www.gamersbillofrights.org/

I wasn't even aware of the Gamers Bill of Rights until just recently. I wish Stardock all the best on Elemental War and Magic and look forward to buying and playing more games on Impulse and the community they have created. To everyone at Stardock, thank you.

July 21, 2010 1:39:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I always tell frog that I put my money where my mouth is so this is how I feel about the team...

======================================

Cart contents:

Price: $69.95
Quantity: 1

Order summary:

---------------
Order total: $79.95  (USD)
Items: $69.95
Shipping & Media: $10.00
Discounts: $0.00
---------------
Total before tax: $79.95
Tax: $0.00

Your receipt along with installation and registration information will be emailed to you.

Thank you for your order from Stardock.
======================================
Just like Empires I will never open the bloody box (still have SINS collector sitting in the shelve non-open) but I will play the download version, I do this to support companies like this and the biggest support (beyond the kudos) one can do for a company is buy their products. So again, I show my appreciation for listening to your community and making games gamers want to play.
"Well done Stardock, you are a company that remembers what gaming is all about" 
Noel B
Chicago, IL
Yes you can quote me
ps. Sure you can say thanks, add a unique army unit in game for pre-orders, hmmm I got it, a KILLER RABBIT with big nasty teeth! and sharp little furry claws.... errr well killer bunny would be cool lol
August 29, 2010 7:15:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you ask me the entire stardock Team deserves Beer and Pizza EVERY NIGHT!!! These guys are some of the hardest working individuals I've ever seen and I've seen how some of the Big Boys work from the inside. Putting in a LOT of hours close to the release of a product and in the high level of support time afterwards is quite common in the business actually. Back in my UO days I actually put in a 24 hour shift on more than one occasion. A lot of times I put in hours for free. I actually got my start working as a Volunteer and didn't get an actual "job" until I did it for a little over 2 years basically eating up All my spare time that I wasn't either eating, sleeping, or going to school/doing school work (college).

I had a conversation with Boogie a few weeks ago where he told me he put in over 80 hours in one week. His fingers were probably so sore from all that typing they felt like they were about to fall off. Yarlen was up at 5AM the other night processing and filling orders so people could get access to the release and get their games shipped to you. Then he caught a few hours sleep (probably around 3 or 4 hours) and then went Right Back To Work!!! That's DEDICATION right there people. Mad, crazy, skilled Dedication and a love for what they do (and the money heh).

If you're ever thinking of trying to get in the industry, it isn't all games and game testing/playing. Depending on your job it's long hours of staring at code. Confused or unsure of why something isn't working. Head hurting from staring at the screen. Piles and piles of dew cans surrounding your desk. Back in the old days when smoking was allowed (or even today is some rare working environments) there are ash trays full and overflowing with butts. Empty coffee mugs with a fresh pot always going. Cramped fingers with more carpal tunnel than the nerdiest WoW no-lifer. It can be a business of pain, suffering, and frustration. The pay off and the fan's response is what really makes it worth it to be in the business. Not to mention often the "pay off" can be in the Millions of dollars (for Brad anyway lol).

August 29, 2010 7:23:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you're ever thinking about getting into the industry... don't. People working crazy hours is surprisingly normal. I barely see one of my best friends right now due to this. 7 day work weeks are not cool.

August 29, 2010 10:30:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Kyro is also doing hard work. Did you know, every time he does a bug roundup, he has to read through every single post on the beta forums? I couldn't imagine having to do that day in, day out.

I was going to make a shot and say kyro doesn't actually do any work.  I'd be joking, but I'd hate for it to be misinterpreted. 

Everybody can see how they all work hard.

If you're ever thinking about getting into the industry... don't.

I wouldn't say a blanket 'don't' statement.  Some people like what they do that it is  worth it to them.  Personally, I find myself working long hours to push software releases and it isn't even my job.  I do it for free (and get into arguments with friends who are helping whether or not we should charge for our work)      Its the reason every single job posting says you need to be "passionate" about what you do.

@RavenX:   Is pizza really that much of a reward?   Its cheap collage food to me (beer is expensive when compared to most soft drinks)

August 29, 2010 10:49:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,

@RavenX:   Is pizza really that much of a reward?   Its cheap collage food to me (beer is expensive when compared to most soft drinks)

Hey man, don't be hatin' on the pizza!      It is so versatile and so greasy...  Yeah, okay, maybe it is cheap food, but if it didn't go straight to my gut I'd still be eating it.

August 29, 2010 10:54:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting landisaurus,

I wouldn't say a blanket 'don't' statement.  Some people like what they do that it is  worth it to them.  Personally, I find myself working long hours to push software releases and it isn't even my job.  I do it for free (and get into arguments with friends who are helping whether or not we should charge for our work)      Its the reason every single job posting says you need to be "passionate" about what you do.

There's an occasional push now and then, and then there's the soul destroying crunch times some companies do. Those are outrageous, and they want "passionate" people for those companies because it's easier to get them to shut down their entire life and do nothing else but make games for a month or two at a time.

I'm passionate about my work too, but I also want to have a family. That requires bieng able to turn work off and go deal with more important things. For a lot of game developers that simply isn't doable. In that sense it's a brutal industry.

August 29, 2010 11:47:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed, to all the above: I work for a consulting company, and I'm no stranger to big pushes and long hours to get something finished for (the equivalent of) customers. I think it's totally fair to be discontented with a product, to dislike it, etc. . . . but there's a "stop screwing around over there"/"how could you be doing [thing] rather than FIXING MY GAEM" meme that goes around on computer game forums, and it's always struck me as kind of adolescent. I personally find fifty- or sixty-hour weeks to be draining as all hell, and I get paid by the hour!

Big ups to Stardock, therefore!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: