Sovereigns, Heroes, Children, Monsters and Men

By on July 19, 2010 4:25:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TheProgress

Join Date 04/2008
+43

I'm a bit concerned about how the balance is shaping up - at least in relation to one of the earlier sources of inspiration for the game. Early on I read numerous references to Sauron and how he (by himself) could slaughter handfuls of men.

Right now the sovereigns feel no more special or powerful than the various NPC heroes scattered about in the world. Other than some essence sovereigns are equal to or weaker than the NPC heroes.

Another issue right now is the dynasty system and its lack of meaningful impact upon the game. The child of a sovereign should be a powerful being (and his / her birth should have great significance). Think Hercules (demigod) in terms of importance.

The following is a list that proposes a new balance for basic characters / creatures of the world with strength measured in #s of men (ie, 5M would mean that being should be able to kill 5 men (or women) singularly in tactical combat). This doesn't take into account levels or anything like that, just the starting strength.

Epic Creatures (Dragons and other such large creatures) : 400M

Monstrous Creatures (Golems, Alpha Bears, Drakes etc) :  50M

Sovereigns : 20M

Demi-Sovereigns (offspring of sovereigns) : 12M

Large Creatures (Bears, Large Wolves, Large Spiders, etc) : 8M

Heroes (recruit-able NPCs at LVL 1) : 5M

Normal Creatures (wolves, giant rats, etc) : 2M

Men (basic soldier) : 1M

Small Creatures (rats, small spiders, etc) : 0.25M

As various creatures level up / become more powerful, they should maintain their "power ratio" in respect to the other classes. For example a LVL 2 Sovereign should still be 4 times as powerful as a LVL 2 hero. Of course if a level 10 hero were to face off against a level 1 sovereign, the predefined 4:1 ratio would be greatly skewed in favor of the hero.

Locked Post 8 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 19, 2010 11:01:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

one thing i a gree is that a child of a sovereign should be stronger then the sovereign so that you actually have a reason to produce children (also because they lack experience the sov has allready gained) - their attributes / skills should also depend on who the parents are...for example if sovereign is a air wizard and the mother is a water wizard then the child will be a even stronger water/air wizard and so on...

July 19, 2010 4:34:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

well maybe not stronger but at least comparable. im sick of having worthless kids with all of 2 hp..

July 19, 2010 5:16:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ziktur,
well maybe not stronger but at least comparable. im sick of having worthless kids with all of 2 hp..

Yeah they're quite pathetic at the moment.

July 19, 2010 6:06:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea ... kids should be roughly comparable (but still weaker imho) than the Sovereign.

I agree, from an Ideological perspective, with the OP

July 20, 2010 2:11:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's quite a bit of work left to do on this game, and I agree that the Fluff and the Game Engine don't seem to entirely mesh in what they're trying to portray.

I think that this is a good suggestion, but quite a bit of balancing needs to be done to bring the game in line with it's fluff/inspiration.

This is slightly off-topic but I still think the game could do with being pushed back so there's more time to work on it.

December 9, 2010 6:48:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it would be most interesting if not all children had inherent magical ability, but are maybe unique in different ways.  The mythology of the game seems to indicate that channeling is a rare gift, but if every child with even a single magical parent is magical there is a problem. 

My suggesting is that non-magical indivduals mating create offspring generally like themselves, perhaps incorporating massive strength from dad, and great beauty from mom, or like deficiencies, etc.  But, when a channeling parent is involved, chaos ensues causing: completely average non-magical children, children generally equivalent to starting channeling parent state, or non-magical children with one or two unnatural stats (enhanced strength or unusually weak, smart or dumb, charismatic or ugly, etc.). 

Under this scheme, I would suggest that when two channeling parents are involved normal children would be really unlikely, non-magical monster-freaks would be most of children, and maybe a small proportion of kids more magical than parents but with otherwise 'human' starting stats.  I would not want to consider imbued parents as magical parents.  Possible porportion would be 1 normal, 9 crazy stated non-mages, 1 super-mage. 

If you make different combinations rare and powerful there will evolve a strategy in trying to get various marriage matches made.  Maybe Zoar has a non-magical daughter with great intelligence, and you want to pair your so-so stats channelling son to hopefully create a really intelligent magical grandson / daughter.  Certain children could be more desireable for breeding i.e. worth more diplomatic currency, etc.

December 22, 2010 3:27:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

interesting

December 22, 2010 4:08:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The easy way to do this would be to raise the stat caps on sovereign creation from 15 to 20 (or higher!) and give out more points to create with. And possibly decreasing the cost for stats relative to the cost for traits, but I'd discourage that - it should remain viable to make a sovereign that's primarily an administrator, and provides bonuses.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: