Questions about 3d assets

By on July 12, 2010 6:33:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Das123

Join Date 05/2003
+79

I know there will be a modders guide coming out soon but I was wondering what the basic plans are for community 3d assets.

1. Where is a good place to learn more about the HKB format?

2. Will packages such as 3D Max be able to import/export the HKB format?

3. Most of the textures at the moment are PNG format. If there are massive armies/tactical battles in future should we be using DDS format for textures?

4. Are boning and basic animations handled within the HKB format for each model?

5. Will we be able to create flying units?

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 12, 2010 7:08:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

See this thread: http://forums.elementalgame.com/384302 It will answer some of you questions. HKB is the format for Intel's Havok. If you google "Intel Havok" or something similar, you should find the site, and you can get free plugins for 3DS Max, Maya, or XSI/Softimage. With the plugin you should be able to at least export (I'm not sure about import) HKB's and from there hypothetically get them in-game, although you will probably have some orientation issues.

As for textures and animations, I have no idea. I would assume flying units are possible (iirc there will be flying units in the base game).

July 12, 2010 9:12:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the reply.

Had a brief look at the Havok website. It would appear that while the modelling import and export is available for Max and Maya, the behaviour and animation packages are proprietary and need to be bought. Not sure how much this would cost as they don't provide details but another link was talking in the range of $50,000.

Guess I won't bother exploring this much further.

July 12, 2010 9:36:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

the behaviour and animation packages are proprietary and need to be bought

I don't think so. If you fill out the "Try Havok" page and agree to the lisense agreement, you get these options for downloads:

• Havok Behavior Tool for Game Artists and Designers (6.6.0)
  • Havok Behavior Tool for Game Artists and Designers (6.5.1)
  • Havok Content Tools for Game Artists and Designers (7.1.0, 64-bit)
  • Havok Content Tools for Game Artists and Designers (7.1.0)
  • Havok Content Tools for Game Artists and Designers (6.6.0)
  • Havok Content Tools for Game Artists and Designers (6.5.0)
  • Havok Content Tools for Game Artists and Designers (6.0.0)
  • Havok Content Tools for Game Artists and Designers (5.5.0)
  • Havok Physics and Havok Animation SDKs for Programmers (7.1.0, VS2008)
  • Havok Physics and Havok Animation SDKs for Programmers (7.1.0, VS2005)
  • Havok Physics and Havok Animation SDKs for Programmers (6.6.0)
  • Havok Physics and Havok Animation SDKs for Programmers (6.5.0)
  • Havok Physics and Havok Animation SDKs for Programmers (6.0.0)
  • Havok Physics and Havok Animation SDKs for Programmers (5.5.0)
  • Myself, I downloaded the most recent version of the Content Tools, and as far as I can tell it includes everything, behavior, animation, physics, etc. Granted though, I have no idea how to use any of it yet, or 3DS Max for that matter, as I just got it.

July 13, 2010 12:04:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's really hopeful.

Building the model is only part of the equation. If it can be boned and given movement commands through the tools then we'll end up with some awesome mods down the track.

Would be awesome to have a compendium of creatures that are made by the community.

By the way, if you want an excellent tutorial on character building in 3dMax you can't look past this... http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php

July 13, 2010 2:49:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is looking like the 3d aspects may be outside my immediate knowledge base. I use 3DSMax at work but mainly just for building models and for creating still images. I'm very much a peon when it comes to coding behaviours and producing full blown character animations. I'm looking forward to playing with this at some stage but for now the learning curve is looking a little steep for me. No doubt when the game is released there will be detailed tutorials put together by Stardock and the community.

I am really getting very excited about the possibilities this game will offer for modding.

July 13, 2010 12:08:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, that is an awesome tutorial, thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah, I have no idea about animations and such either. I've only modeled buildings and ships, and with a different program. Oh well, I'll do my best to try to figure it out.

July 13, 2010 4:58:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know a lot about 3D modeling and animation, but I haven't done a project yet that puts it all together in practice.  Am planning to make lots of mods for this game as a learning experience.

Searching for "HKB Blender" I couldn't find much, just old forum posts saying they couldn't find much either.  I think the NIF scripts for Blender might support the format, but I haven't tried it yet.  (Pretty busy now learning other things.)

When anyone does learn something, I hope you post detailed tutorials or videos.  So many mod communities have a few "genius" modders who just seem to know things for mystical reasons they don't share with others.  Some of those modders are professional CG artists or programmers, so it's understandable they don't have time.  If you're just figuring something out for the first time, though, you should document your work in detail so that a) you can reference it yourself, you can better understand just what it is you're learning, and c) other beginners will benefit.  If a pro CG artist, or even amateur multimedia artist or writer, has time, they can expand upon what you've contributed.  Better to have many bad tutorials that can be developed into great ones than to have no tutorials at all.  It's also good to do tutorials on making tutorials; the skills can be used at school or work, no matter what you do.

July 13, 2010 5:33:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Searching for "HKB Blender" I couldn't find much, just old forum posts saying they couldn't find much either. I think the NIF scripts for Blender might support the format, but I haven't tried it yet. (Pretty busy now learning other things.)

Check out here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/384302 specifically reply #16 by me. It basically sums up everything we know about HKB thus far. Basically, it's the format for Intel's Havok, which is what Stardock is using for all their 3D stuff, and I believe animations, etc. Intel has a free plugin that will let you create HKB's with 3DS Max, Maya, or Softimage/XSI. You can then hypothetically get those in game right now, but their orientation will probably be screwed up. Stardock has their own plugin for Max and Maya (maybe others?) that will fix that, but they won't be releasing it to the public until at the earliest when the game is released.

July 13, 2010 5:49:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks.  Replying in that other thread.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time: