United States Government Officially Fighting Piracy

The Censorship and Suing Has Begun.

By on July 4, 2010 3:51:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX

Join Date 10/2008
+194

Source: CNet News. June 30th. Check it out Here.

A week after U.S. Vice President Joe Biden Warned that the government would start cracking down on illegal file sharing, the feds swooped in and seized assets belonging to operators of accused movie-pirating sites.

The government on Wednesday also took control of at least seven of the sites in question: Movies-Links.tv, Now-Movies.com, TVShack.net, Filespump.com, Planetmoviez.com, ZML.com, ThePirateCity.org, Ninjavideo.net, and NinjaThis.net. More than a dozen bank, investment, and advertising accounts were seized, and authorities served search warrants on residences in several different states.

Authorities are searching for operators of the sites as part of an ongoing criminal investigation, according to Virginia Kice, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The crimes that the operators are accused of committing weren't clear, but some of the sites are accused of distributing film copies prior to their theatrical release.

As of 3 p.m. PDT, some of the sites were still operating, but government officials said they anticipated the sites would come under government control within hours.

The investigation involved multiple law enforcement groups, including the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and ICE, a unit of the Department of Homeland Security.

Last week, Biden and Victoria Espinel, the U.S. intellectual property enforcement coordinator, told reporters that they wanted to send a message to counterfeiters and pirates that this administration was intent on protecting the nation's intellectual property. Espinel directed a statement at those people who trafficked in phony goods or unauthorized music and movies: "We have committed to putting you out of business."

ICE and the Department of Justice both suggested Wednesday that these types of seizures and investigations are just the beginning.

More to come

That's right boys and girls, the Federal Government is now shutting down websites and Law Firms owned by corporate movie makers are Suing Private Citizens who are using Peer to Peer programs like LimeWire and uTorrent. That's right, they're even shutting down Peer to Peer programs and Suing every day "Joe Blow" users who have downloaded Movies, Games, and MP3's. If you'd like the proof of this happening right now, there's some mess going on about the movie "Hurt Locker" which some guy shared on LimeWire. Now the makers of the movie are Suing the distributers such as the makers of LimeWire and even going as far as to file suite against 5,000 yet un-named people. Don't think they are, that they can't? They ARE!!! Here's Proof!!! The Government themselves have started shutting down domains and are petitioning ISP's for their users names and home addresses so that other law firms can also file suite against home users just for "watching" something online without even having downloaded it to their computer. Seen this picture anywhere lately?

Source: CNet News. June 11th. Check it out Here.

In Arizona, a law firm called White Berberian recently began advertising on its site that it will defend those accused of illegal file sharing by Dunlap Grubb & Weaver. That is the firm, which also goes by the name U.S. Copyright Group, that is filing lawsuits on behalf of filmmakers who claim their movies were pirated by thousands of peer-to-peer users.

In addition to the Oscar-winning film "The Hurt Locker," Dunlap Grubb represents about a dozen movies, including "Far Cry" and "Call of the Wild 3D." The law firm has said that it will sue more than 50,000 alleged file sharers.

So far, it appears thousands of people have received settlement offers from Dunlap Grubb and many are confused about their rights. Typically, people learn about being accused of violating copyright law from their Internet service providers, which inform them that they have received a subpoena to turn over their identity to Dunlap Grubb.

"While we cannot guarantee a particular outcome, if we cannot negotiate a settlement better than what Plaintiff offered, we will refund your money."
--White Berberian law firm

The law firm usually follows up with a form letter informing the accused that someone using their Internet protocol address was illegally sharing one of the films. Dunlap Grubb then tells the accused file sharer that they can settle the case for $1,500 if they move quickly. If they wait, the firm will charge them $2,500 and if they decide to fight it out in court, Dunlap Grubb can ask for up to $150,000

That's right, another 500,000 people are going to be sued. That's Half A Million People!!! Not rich people. Not Hard Core pirates. Not the people who ripped the movie and put it up on the Internet. Normal users or even parents who's kids installed LimeWire and the parents didn't even know what it was, much less that it was technically being used for something "Illegal". LimeWire is just the start too. Now that the Government is in on the action you can bet that all these other Peer to Peer services will be next, and that includes torrents.

It's odd though as I didn't think "Peer to Peer" programs had "Servers" that could be shut down that would stop a program from working but apparently they do. Some how they can shut down programs like LimeWire and uTorrent as well as sue the people who made it and are using it. ISP's are willingly handing over records of everything your IP downloads and every website you visit. Chances are if you even go to what will soon be a "black listed" site your name will go onto a "watch-list" or you'll soon be getting a statement from your ISP quickly followed by a court notice that you are being sued.

YouTube was granted a "Exception" because it actively takes pirated and copyrighted materials down and because it has plenty of content that is "User Made" and not copyrighted. Check out this article on CNet News about the differences between YouTube and LimeWire and how exactly one can be shut down and not the other.

Web copyright: YouTube up, Lime Wire down. Source: CNet News. June 30th

This is only the beginning everyone. The sh!ts hitting the fan and the common people are about to feel the pinch of the Heavy Hand of Corporate Government.

Locked Post 341 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 4, 2010 3:55:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Boooo

Good thing I live in Canada where this crap isn't going to happen

July 4, 2010 4:00:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting marlowwe,
Boooo

On many, Many, things the US Gov and the Canadian Gov see "eye to eye". If they trace any of the offending 500,000 users to Canada you can bet the Fed's will ask for them to be "extradited" to the U.S. for prosecution. The US Gov never does anything lightly so you can bet they'll go over-board with the law suites and treating people like criminals. No matter if those people are American, Canadian, Mexican, what-ever...if they have a income that can be tapped with a law suite, they're in for a world of shit.

July 4, 2010 4:03:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

YES! YES!

YES! YES!

YES! YES!

YES! YES!

About time!

July 4, 2010 4:05:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Common people?

As in someone like me who doesn't pirate anything and should not have anything to worry about or,

As in someone who pirates movies, music, software illegally ( which includes downloading and uploading). Then they should get what they deserve and I hope that "PINCH" hurts!

July 4, 2010 4:05:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Cool

July 4, 2010 4:23:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Damned about time, imho.

*Jafo's celebratory digeradoo has been heard tooting from way down under. 

July 4, 2010 4:31:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heigar,
Common people?

As in someone like me who doesn't pirate anything and should not have anything to worry about or,

As in someone who pirates movies, music, software illegally ( which includes downloading and uploading). Then they should get what they deserve and I hope that "PINCH" hurts!

When I say "Common People" I'm more or less thinking about the parents of the little girl Metallica sued...and Won. They didn't have any idea their kid was downloading Metallica MP3's (I think it was even with LimeWire) but ultimately they were the ones who had to pay the price for what their little girl did.

July 4, 2010 4:35:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Parents should always be aware that they are resposinble for the actions of their minor children.  Pretty much what being a parent is all about.

July 4, 2010 4:36:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

Quoting marlowwe, reply 1Boooo

On many, Many, things the US Gov and the Canadian Gov see "eye to eye". If they trace any of the offending 500,000 users to Canada you can bet the Fed's will ask for them to be "extradited" to the U.S. for prosecution. The US Gov never does anything lightly so you can bet they'll go over-board with the law suites and treating people like criminals. No matter if those people are American, Canadian, Mexican, what-ever...if they have a income that can be tapped with a law suite, they're in for a world of shit.

The US isn't going to do anything in Canada. Period. Extraditing hundreds of thousands of "pirates" from another country is not only impractical but laughable.

Anyway, if this goes the way the US waged their "War on Terror" and "War on Drugs" then it will turn out to be one big joke. Some of those sites are complete bogus too - who's ever heard of Filespump.com? lol. Anyway, I fail to see this doing any real harm to file sharers. What it will do though is waste millions of dollars of tax payer money which incidentally is the real crime.

July 4, 2010 4:45:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I doubt Canada will shy away from this for much longer. Eventually Canadian business will also be effected and that will spark a response from the Government. Especially with the economy the way it is and the HST etc. Prices are going up here and that means sales go down except in the US. Long term effect will surely show up and someone will get on the band wagon to try and regulate it.

I'm not worried myself. I don't use peer to peer sharing and when given the option on a torrent I download from the distributor or not at all. I support the products I use and the developers I like. Doesn't bother me any. I would rather waste the money on that then then watch the government spent a billion dollars building a world summit conference hall. Prices would only go down on legit sales if it worked. Then again I buy everything from the US now and if it isn't on sale I wait.

Living 40 mins from the US border helps

Then again I've heard this song and dance a few times now. That's politics for yeah...

July 4, 2010 4:45:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LightStar,
YES! YES!

YES! YES!

YES! YES!

YES! YES!

About time!

Gees, LightStar...LoL. Do you think you could possibly be any Happier about this?

The only reason I don't like this is because we have seen far too many times through-out history that this will ultimately only leed to things being worse for ALL of us, whether we pirated anything or not.

Just as Ubisoft's DRM trend is catching on. Soon EVERY GAME that's made will need to be "Online" to be played and people will have to sign up and pay for expensive services that violate our privacy and bank accounts just so we can continue to play games with our PC's.

Quoting DrJBHL,
Damned about time, imho.

I'm waiting for Jafo to go to the ISP's and get the names and addresses of the 500,000 people so he can go get them all with his baseball bat...LoL.

July 4, 2010 4:49:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting marlowwe,

The US isn't going to do anything in Canada. Period. Extraditing hundreds of thousands of "pirates" from another country is not only impractical but laughable.

Anyway, if this goes the way the US waged their "War on Terror" and "War on Drugs" then it will turn out to be one big joke. Some of those sites are complete bogus too - who's ever heard of Filespump.com? lol. Anyway, I fail to see this doing any real harm to file sharers. What it will do though is waste millions of dollars of tax payer money which incidentally is the real crime.

I'd have to say I mostly agree with that assesment, except perhaps if it comes down to one of the major "Movie Hosting Sites" being owned by a Canadian. They probably wouldn't extradite them, but you can bet that person would get sued just like the LimeWire people are. They'd be sued for hosting links to pirated material and probably get notified by mail. Whether or not Canada would make that person face US "Justice" I have no idea.

July 4, 2010 4:50:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

Quoting LightStar,
reply 3
YES! YES!

YES! YES!

YES! YES!

YES! YES!

About time!

Gees, LightStar...LoL. Do you think you could possibly be any Happier about this?

The only reason I don't like this is because we have seen far too many times through-out history that this will ultimately only leed to things being worse for ALL of us, whether we pirated anything or not.

Just as Ubisoft's DRM trend is catching on. Soon EVERY GAME that's made will need to be "Online" to be played and people will have to sign up and pay for expensive services that violate our privacy and bank accounts just so we can continue to play games with our PC's.

Quoting DrJBHL,
reply 6
Damned about time, imho.

I'm waiting for Jafo to go to the ISP's and get the names and addresses of the 500,000 people so he can go get them all with his baseball bat...LoL.

For the record UBISOFT DRM is not catching on. Their entire PC portfolio is roughly 7% of their entire revenue according to their last financial results. Fact is people aren't buying UBISOFT PC games. Why would I buy a product that has two different DRMS and also require online connectivity with limited installations? Trust me it's not catching on at all. Their entire company is on the downhill slide. They are botching their IP left and right. They have no sense of direction or anything over there. I wouldn't be surprised to see a major buyout of UBISOFT in the near future. Nobody cares about UBISOFT or their crappy games. Just jump over to their forums and have a look at what their regular paying users like to talk about. It isn't the quality of their games but more the lack of and the natzi DRM they have to put up with on a daily basis.

July 4, 2010 4:54:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Parents should always be aware that they are resposinble for the actions of their minor children.  Pretty much what being a parent is all about.

Exactly, I know what my kids are doing when online ( even though they have their own account as a limited user and can't install anything without my permission)It's all part of being a responsible parent. If they don't abide my rules while being on the computer then I password protect the account and they won't use the pc no if's,and's, or but's.

July 4, 2010 4:56:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The crimes that the operators are accused of committing weren't clear, but some of the sites are accused of distributing film copies prior to their theatrical release.

Gee...wonder how and "who" they got them from "prior" to release...seems to be they need to be looking a bit closer to home as well. I mean seriously...since their own people are obviously some of the ones letting these movies out...this is like closing the barn door after the horses left.

July 4, 2010 5:04:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KWAiRT,

For the record UBISOFT DRM is not catching on.

I agree with the rest of your post, just not that first line there. It IS "catching on" and all the major PC game makers are considering DRM methods like it. Frogboy even stated so him-self not too long ago. PC game makers such as EA see Ubisoft's DRM as a success and are quickly making plans to follow in it's foot-steps.

If you watched E3 closely this year you'll also notice all the next generation of games and even hardware is moving more and more to a totally "Online" state. We're talking about everything from Console games to Pc games to services like "OnLive" and new devices such as XBox360's "Kinect" (<--formerly Project Natal).

All of it is and will continue moving forward into the realm of the Online universe. Soon it will move to the point that only people with credit cards and bank accounts will be able to get Online and play games and use gaming services. As we know most kids can't do that so it will be their parents who will be responsible for paying for everything while "little Timmy" sits in his room "pwning newbs" at roughly the cost of $1 an hour. I realize I'm "slightly" exaggerating, but it's getting to that point and getting closer every day.

July 4, 2010 5:27:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't steal music or movies off the internet or elsewhere, but my puter  was hacked a while back and bogus emails were sent to all that I knew, so what if they DL movies using access to my puter.  I'm screwed.  Hum.

July 4, 2010 5:28:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,

Gee...wonder how and "who" they got them from "prior" to release...seems to be they need to be looking a bit closer to home as well. I mean seriously...since their own people are obviously some of the ones letting these movies out...this is like closing the barn door after the horses left.

Maybe they're doing it because the economy is in a tailspin, and people are struggling just to put food on the table, so they aren't going to the cinemas anymore; if they entrap a bunch of people with screener torrents and then have those people settle, they'll make more money in winning law suits than they could if we all lived in boom times and went to the theater every day.  It's a way of getting blood from a rock.

July 4, 2010 5:32:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Extraditing hundreds of thousands of "pirates" from another country is not only impractical but laughable.

We already do that...we don't call it by that name...a hint: "Immigration Reform". Entiendes?

Maybe they're doing it because the economy is in a tailspin, and people are struggling just to put food on the table, so they aren't going to the cinemas anymore; if they entrap a bunch of people with screener torrents and then have those people settle, they'll make more money in winning law suits than they could if we all lived in boom times and went to the theater every day. It's a way of getting blood from a rock.

I don't think so, Karen. I think these people have committed an illegal act and are now caught. Not really a case of entrapment in order to get money they don't have. That doesn't seem feasible to me.

July 4, 2010 5:33:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, because the history books are just full of times when the government tried to fight online piracy and that made things so much worse for everyone, right? Oh, wait..

There's no "throughout history" on this one, sorry.

July 4, 2010 5:34:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting WOM,
I don't steal music or movies off the internet or elsewhere, but my puter  was hacked a while back and bogus emails were sent to all that I knew, so what if they DL movies using access to my puter.  I'm screwed.  Hum.

Pretty much. The sad thing is, Any Hacker worth their salt can make it look like they are browsing the Internet from Someone Else's IP Address. From my Router alone I can see 6 people in my neighborhood who's Networks are WIDE OPEN. If I wanted to, I could browse the web from Their Internet connection or even upload Kiddie Porn to Their Computer then call the cops on them sending all 6 of them to jail for being part of a "kiddie porn ring". Why? Because they left their network un-secured. After that their lives are ruined and Over even if they somehow prove it wasn't them.

Even though I used that as an example, I could download a illegal game through Their Internet connection and make it look like they did it. They'll be sitting in jail or paying massive fines for Piracy while I'm kicking back in my room playing whatever the latest pirated game is that I downloaded with their IP address and subnet mask. Hackers can do all that real easy.

Note: The Above is just a Example. I would NEVER do anything like that. Just stating it's very possible someone could. All because someone went wire-less and didn't secure their network.

July 4, 2010 5:38:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

Yeah, because the history books are just full of times when the government tried to fight online piracy and that made things so much worse for everyone, right? Oh, wait..

There's no "throughout history" on this one, sorry.

Piracy, No. You're right. But I'm not limiting my "throughout history" to JUST Piracy.

When Hitler rose to power a LOT of people LOVED HIM simply because he made the trains run on time.

When I say "throughout history" I'm talking about All the Times throughout our history where public opinion said something was good or bad and that turned out to be the exact opposite.

All of this will lead to bad things for Normal People in the future and it WILL end up limiting whatever freedoms we have left Online.

I'm not defending piracy or pirates.

July 4, 2010 5:45:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

the government cracking down on peer to peer sites and other pirate sites is bad? not in my book, it isn't. i'm all for it. if you want music and movies, buy them. the artists deserve their royalties.

limit our online freedoms? i seriously doubt that. there are far too many conspiracy theorists out there.

July 4, 2010 5:46:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Any Hacker worth their salt can make it look like they are browsing the Internet from Someone Else's IP Address.

Indeed, Raven. That is a frightening possibility.

July 4, 2010 5:47:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting k10w3,

Quoting WebGizmos,
reply 15

Maybe they're doing it because the economy is in a tailspin, and people are struggling just to put food on the table, so they aren't going to the cinemas anymore; if they entrap a bunch of people with screener torrents and then have those people settle, they'll make more money in winning law suits than they could if we all lived in boom times and went to the theater every day.  It's a way of getting blood from a rock.

Exactly. There are (sadly) plenty of sites people can go to Online and see Movies still playing in theaters. Most times its some crappy Cam that's of low quality. Other times it's a DvD Screener that got leaked. Either way the person watching it isn't actually "Downloading" anything. It's buffered and streamed. The person watching it does Not have a copy of whatever the movie or show is sitting on their computer.

Either way though, now those people too can be sued just because your ISP has a record of you going to their website and watching a movie.

So now the bottom line questions is....,

Is the person who watched a ripped movie online just as guilty as the person who uploads and downloads the same movie?

Most of us would probably say yes. Some of us may say no. The Movie Makers and the Law will say YES, and then those people who couldn't afford to go to the movies and who didn't even download anything will be Fined up the Wazoo until their children starve and can't afford to go to college because they parents got sued for watching the latest Shrek Movie online and some movie maker didn't get his $8.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time: