[Suggestion] Random City Traits

By on July 3, 2010 4:00:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cauldyth

Join Date 07/2004
+29

Brad has stated in a number of threads now that they'd like to implement city traits which the player can choose when the city levels up.

For example: We’re looking at having it be a bigger deal when a City Levels up and giving them points (almost like a character) to put into traits like food production, research production, etc.

I'd like to propose extending this even further.  In addition to having city traits that the player can apply when the city levels up, have city traits which can arise outside of the player's direct control.  These would be in response to the environment and history of the city, and could be positive, negative or a mix of the two.  They wouldn't be automatic, but rather would have a percentage chance of 'firing' when the conditions are met.  A few examples:

• Trait: Defiant
  • Trigger: The city successfully withstood a very long siege.
  • Notes: With the city now famous for having withstood an epic siege, the citizens don't want to tarnish their city's reputation by giving in to future sieges.  Troops stationed in the city get morale bonuses, and the citizens will consume less food during a siege.

• Trait: Hardy
  • Trigger: Can only affect small towns which have a focus on farming, mills, etc.
  • Notes: The townsfolk are a rugged bunch, having a long tradition of working the land.  Units recruited from the town have higher hit points.  If the town ever grows beyond the required maximum size, it loses the trait (the people have turned into soft city folk).  The fact that it's only available to small towns also means that the player can never recruit large numbers of units quickly.  It will be a specialty source of units only.

• Trait: Devoted
  • Trigger: The sovereign took part personally in defending the city against a large determined attack.
  • Notes: The sovereign stood with the citizens in defense of their city, putting his/her own life at risk as they did.  Could result in various bonuses for the city (increased morale for all defending units, increased monetary income).

• Trait: Disaffected
  • Trigger: The city fell to foreign forces due to little or no defensive units (but was eventually retaken).
  • Notes: Clearly the sovereign doesn't care about the people of this city, and now the feeling is mutual.  Greatly increased cost for recruiting units in this city, reduced monetary income, reduced output, etc.

• Trait: Mercantilists
  • Trigger: The city has a large income, and is at the crossroads of more than X caravan routes.
  • Notes: The people have developed into accomplished traders and merchants.  Increased monetary income, but also increased cost of recruiting units.

• Trait: Gluttonous
  • Trigger: The city has a large income, and is at the crossroads of more than X caravan routes.
  • Notes: Triggered by the same conditions as Mercantilists above (and the two aren't mutually exclusive), the merchants in this city have grown accustomed to the better things in life.  Increased food consumption by the city, perhaps accompanied by increased prestige (after all, who wouldn't want to move to a place like that?!).  Perhaps also increased monetary income (taxes on luxuries and vices are always a great source of money).

• Trait: Seafarers
  • Trigger: The town (again, can't be a large city, as cities are more diluted in their focus) has a harbour and has trained a number of naval units.
  • Notes: Naval units recruited here are of higher quality (more moves, better combat ratings, etc.).  If the town grows to a city, it loses this trait.

• Trait: Pacifist
  • Trigger: Few units have ever been recruited here, few or none have ever been stationed here, and the settlement has never been attacked.
  • Notes: The citizens see no need for a military.  As long as the city continues to be ungarrisoned, it will have higher than normal output.  If units are stationed there, it will have lower than normal output.

• Trait: Independent
  • Trigger: The city has changed hands a number of times.
  • Notes: The citizens no longer feel like a part of any particular kingdom/empire.  Increase recruitment costs, decreased monetary income.  However, they've become more open-minded to other cultures and ideas.  Increased research.

• Trait: Militant
  • Trigger: The city has changed hands a number of times.
  • Notes: Unlike citizens who have become "Independent" under the same circumstances, these citizens still feel a part of their empire, and now they support a powerful military to prevent future attacks.  Increased unit quality, decreased unit cost.  Significantly decreased output from all non-military improvements (prestige buildings, etc.).  Decreased monetary/production output if the city isn't well garrisoned.

• Trait: Magiphobic
  • Trigger: The city has suffered from repeated offensive spells from enemy Sovereigns.
  • Notes: Having suffered greatly in the battle between channelers, the citizens have grown to view magic as a blight upon the world.  All spell research in the city is greatly reduced, perhaps accompanied by bonuses to producing mundane units.

• Trait: Magiphilic
  • Trigger: The city has long benefited from beneficial spells, and never suffered from offensive ones.
  • Notes: The citizens view magic as a great boon, and will happily support local efforts to further it.  Spell research in the city receives bonuses.

There could of course also be ones that are completely random and unrelated to actual game events (i.e. just a result of a conventional random event system).

Locked Post 16 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Twohawks
July 3, 2010 4:23:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like this idea, though I think it would need to be presented in a very clear, concise way in order to avoid becoming confusing to new players. 

July 3, 2010 5:06:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think this is a great idea, I like the idea of a somewhat randomized specialization for cities based on how you run them.  It adds an extra level of depth to the way you treat your cities.

July 3, 2010 5:37:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like this idea. Definitely a post-release type feature but something we can look at for the future.

July 3, 2010 5:43:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like this idea, so here's a few extra suggestions:

• Trait - Agrarian
  • Trigger - City has a high food output for its size, with more than one food resource nearby.
  • Notes - The town is run by farmers who maintain their fields with their families; they see no need to pollute their city with heavy manufacturing, and no need to encourage outsiders to come to the city.  Greatly Increased food production, but decreased production and prestige.

• Trait - Industrial
  • Trigger - City has a very high material output, with more than one material resource nearby.
  • Notes - The city is run by tycoons of manufacturing; they suck funding away from research, farming, and trade to fuel the industrial furnaces.  City has greatly increased manufacturing, but reduced research, food production, and monetary output.

• Trait - Survivalists
  • Trigger - City is placed on infertile land, with no resources nearby.
  • Notes - The people of this city have had to learn to get by on what the unyielding land can provide; there are no springs or fertile lands nearby, only the sweat of their brow and their ingenuity keep them alive.  City gains a small bonus to research, and units built in this city gain one additional movement point.

• Trait - Paranoid
  • Trigger - City is near enemy borders, but has never been directly attacked.
  • Notes - The people of this city know the threat of invasion looms around every corner, and as such are willing to sacrifice some of the niceties inner empire cities enjoy to take "necessary" precautions.  Research and food production is lowered, but defensive structures and defensive units are produced faster and at a lower cost than other towns.  Units built in this city gain a large morale bonus if defending the city, whereas units built in other cities lose morale while defending this city, as they are seen as dangerous outsiders.

• Trait - Scholarly
  • Trigger - City has a very high research output.
  • Notes - The best minds of your kingdom live in this city, but their "holier than thou" attitude doesn't encourage a lot of common folk to make their homes here.  City gains a bonus to research, but reduced prestige.
July 3, 2010 5:50:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I absolutely love these ideas...it's stuff like this that will really give the world character.

A++!

July 3, 2010 5:54:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great idea! I've always liked the idea of shaping a city through more than just improvements. I always enjoyed seeing descriptions of cities (HOMMV) or planets/colonies (GalCiv2) but for the most part it was just filler. The HOMM descriptions had no actual connection to the gameplay and the GalCiv2 colony descriptions were nice but were pretty basic. Making the description/backstory change for each city depending on what events have affected them would be a big plus (for me anyways) for that "world immersion" factor.

July 3, 2010 6:10:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I must agree.. these types of random traits (should be limited to 1 or 2 max) would further make cities feel different and organic.. (this coming from some one who lives near the motor city a name with proud connotations to folks around here..)

July 3, 2010 7:08:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the current beta, the cities have a little history page.  I'm not sure what's ultimately intended to go in there, but it would be a good place for the game to insert some pre-canned text for any events that triggered.  It could add things like saying that the people of this town have a long seafaring tradition and have become expert boat builders and sailors, or that in the year 1264 Lord Relias stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the citizens of this town and personally led them in defending against a determined Magnar attack and that the citizens are now fiercely loyal to him.

July 3, 2010 10:55:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

so the idea is that the player has no direct control over these, its that they happen sometimes based on predetermined events right? if so this is a very interesting idea.

July 4, 2010 3:15:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting blackkomodo,
so the idea is that the player has no direct control over these, its that they happen sometimes based on predetermined events right? if so this is a very interesting idea.

Yeah, if the trigger conditions are met, then there's a % chance that the city will acquire the trait.

For something like the siege one, the city would have a sizable chance (e.g. 40%) of picking up the trait after experiencing a sufficiently large siege.  For ones that just result from the environment or state of the city over a long period of time, there'd just be a small chance each turn of the city acquiring the trait (possibly increasing slightly over time).

July 4, 2010 8:51:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This seems to be similar to these ideas: http://forums.elementalgame.com/forum/512

I like both of these ideas. Adds a lot of personality to cities.

July 5, 2010 6:29:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't like them. You'd feel forced to prolong a siege to get the Hardy bonus. All these bonuses are hard to keep in mind so you can't really plan to get them. They feel to random.

July 5, 2010 11:39:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
you can't really plan to get them. They feel to random.

That's the whole point, they'd be rare enough that you can't plan on them.  They're a random event system, but unlike most random event systems they actually reflect what's going on in the world to some degree.

Quoting Campaigner,
You'd feel forced to prolong a siege to get the Hardy bonus.

If the Hardy bonus has a 20% chance of firing, would you really prolong a siege and suffer all of the problems that would entail just for a 1 in 5 chance of having the city withstand sieges better in the future?  Unlikely. What if there was also a 1 in 5 chance of the city picking up a bad trait instead because the citizens were traumatized by the long siege?

July 5, 2010 11:45:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Think of it like the kings and leaders in Medieval II. If they sit in a city, maybe over time they get a lazy perk, or an efficient perk. In battle they get scarred or tactical.  This is a similar idea but based around cities. You dont TRY to get them, they just HAPPEN. Randomization, it keeps everything a little bit new every time.

July 5, 2010 6:12:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not intended to belittle the TS, but this suggestion has been made a few times before, way back before beta 1 started. The idea was that cities could gain traits like the generals in Rome:TW or Medieval, like blackkomodo mentions in the post above. I like the idea and I'm happy Frogboy does too. I just think it's a shame it might only be added post release, when the initial suggestion was made over a year ago.

July 5, 2010 6:56:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Satrhan,
Not intended to belittle the TS, but this suggestion has been made a few times before, way back before beta 1 started.

Ah, no worries, I'm not surprised others have already suggested it.  I just haven't been very diligent in keeping up on the forums.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: