Zooming: Better or Worse?

By on July 1, 2010 3:33:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Which do you prefer?

Units to scale as they zoom or to stay a fixed size?

Locked Post 123 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 1, 2010 3:39:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, I like the first option, where the units get bigger as you zoom in and smaller as you zoom out.

Keeping them the same size as you zoom in just makes me feel like the units are shrinking.

July 1, 2010 3:39:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scale as they zoom.  Hands down.

edit: And by "scale as they zoom" I mean having the unit gradually decrease in size relative to its surroundings.  I just realized that saying "scale as they zoom" could really go either way in terms of description.

July 1, 2010 3:49:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

(edit2: Actually I realized I really meant "fixed" ). Sometimes I want to get in to see something closer but the thing is just shrinking as I'm trying to get a better look.

However, what I think is the best is to make the scaling very subtle - certainly nowhere near proportional to the zoom distance. So when very far out stuff would seem smaller yet nice and visible, and when zoomed in close stuff would seem somewhat larger - but in reality when you're zoomed in closer while the model is larger on your screen, it's absolute scale is somewhat smaller than when you're zoomed out. 

Am I getting the point across or is that confusing? 

July 1, 2010 3:50:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prefer the scaling option, makes for a better atmosphere, just as long as the units have a scale of their own. I mean, a dragon is still going to be enormous compared to a simple soldiers regardless of zoom, right?

July 1, 2010 3:51:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have a cop-out answer:

I like scaling for gameplay.  I want to remove scaling for screenshots of awesome.  So make sure that checkbox stays on that menu!

July 1, 2010 3:57:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scaling in my opinion also Makes it easier to manage your armies.

July 1, 2010 4:07:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sareln,
Have a cop-out answer:

I like scaling for gameplay.  I want to remove scaling for screenshots of awesome.  So make sure that checkbox stays on that menu!

This.

July 1, 2010 4:11:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SavageBananaMan34,
However, what I think is the best is to make the scaling very subtle - certainly nowhere near proportional to the zoom distance. So when very far out stuff would seem smaller yet nice and visible, and when zoomed in close stuff would seem somewhat larger - but in reality when you're zoomed in closer while the model is larger on your screen, it's absolute scale is somewhat smaller than when you're zoomed out. 

Am I getting the point across or is that confusing? 

I could go for this idea.

July 1, 2010 4:15:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Keep the checkbox! I like it if it is optional.

I would like to raise a related point.

The thing that annoys me about zooming is NOT unit scaling it is the fact that the graphics engine is over aggressive on making things vanish as you zoom out. I own a ludicrously high specification PC and I want control over this functionality like a slider or something.

July 1, 2010 4:40:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scaling is lame and breaks immersion. I'd rather the units size be fixed so they grow smaller as you zoom out and larger as you zoom in. I hate zooming out to see my mage the size of a small mountain. Tch

If you can't keep track of your own units that's just pathetic.

Of course options are always best. That way you can keep things hard and rough for a masochist like me or be soft and warm for the cuddle lovers...

I'm looking at you whoever is reading this!

Everybody wins.

July 1, 2010 4:54:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Instead of having an on off switch for scaling, couldn't there instead be a slider?  That is, to one extreme would be absolutely no scaling, to the opposite extreme it would have proportional scaling.  Users could then just move the slider to select how much scaling occurs.

Edit: Not that something like that is a huge deal to me.

July 1, 2010 4:54:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prefer - zoom

July 1, 2010 5:13:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scale as they zoom of course.

July 1, 2010 5:17:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Xtropy,
Instead of having an on off switch for scaling, couldn't there instead be a slider?  That is, to one extreme would be absolutely no scaling, to the opposite extreme it would have proportional scaling.  Users could then just move the slider to select how much scaling occurs.

Edit: Not that something like that is a huge deal to me.

Yea this is exactly the solution that would be best. The two options you have in right now would be the extremes of the slider, and then we could choose anything in between that we like. 

July 1, 2010 5:18:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I say keep the units small as you zoom out. As a few say here, it spoils the immersion with giants all over the map.

The best option would be to keep the option.

July 1, 2010 5:27:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

At first I thought it didn't really matter to me, but then I thought a little more...

When you Zoom Out to a certain point they turn into Pewter Statues anyway, right? Since they do that (which I like), I'd like to have the scaling stay "Fixed" so the units get smaller as I zoom out, then they turn into Pewter Statues once I zoom out to cloth map mode and they get a little bigger when they turn into statues.

So my vote is, Fixed.

July 1, 2010 5:33:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, I dislike giant units.  If I want to see "big" unit icons, I'll use the cloth map.  If I'm zoomed in on the world, I want it to feel like I'm actually looking at the world.

EDIT: And of course, Raven X expresses my exact opinion in the time between me starting to read the threat and posting my reply.

July 1, 2010 5:40:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aesthetically, I prefer non scaling, it looks, well, stupid. But I can see the value from a design perspective of scaling, as it would allow more information to be transmited to the players, if they can see in detail their units even while zoomed out.

But as a player, I say information at a glance be damned!

July 1, 2010 5:40:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prefer fixed, as has been stated above by Raven, the units become pewter pieces once you zoom out to the cloth map anyway. However, in the interest of harmony within the community, the option to turn on/off scaling may be the best choice. Either way, I would play with fixed scaling if given the choice.

July 1, 2010 5:43:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dislike the scaling. A lot. I'm completely with Raven X and GASherbert on this one.

July 1, 2010 5:48:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GASherbert,
EDIT: And of course, Raven X expresses my exact opinion in the time between me starting to read the threat and posting my reply.

I had to Spend Essence to be able to read the mind of the person who was going to post after me in the future so I could make them echo my sentiment. You are nothing more then a means to an end to be used at my discretion. Crossing temporal boundaries to force mind control is easy when you have powers like mine at your command. Just imagine how scary good I'll be in multi-player Mwhahahahaha.

hehe J/K, my friend.

July 1, 2010 5:49:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My vote goes to a sliding bar that allows you to set the amount of scaling to how much you like it (so not simple scaling/no scaling but a percent). That would then range from no scaling at all over scaling a bit to full scaling.

July 1, 2010 5:49:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd leave it non-scaled until some threshold is reached (where unit is still recognizable) and scale from that point on. Might look funny though.

July 1, 2010 5:53:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think I prefer fixed, the way the units kinda "loom" outta terrain as I zoom out freaks me out a bit, and the way the units disappear into the square as I zoom in on them seems counter intuitive or at least odd.

But if it's a choice between having both and letting us choose, or having one or the other, I prefer having the choice.

July 1, 2010 6:00:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Definitely prefer the first one as the default setting, always seemed a bit odd to see the figure expand to fill the tile as you zoomed out.

But it's always good to give us more options, so It would be nice to keep the option to turn it on and off, unless you are worried about clutter.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: