NPCs should drop loot when they die

By on June 29, 2010 10:47:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Malex1

Join Date 04/2008
+11

I think if NPCs get wiped out by a monster or an NPC soverign, there should be a goodie hut created at the place they died.  It could even have some or all of the equipment the NPC picked up in the wild.  Maybe it could be linked to quests also.

Locked Post 7 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 30, 2010 3:18:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

June 30, 2010 5:18:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is fine in all that they would drop loot or you are simply able to loot the bodies for what not. Outside of the NPC monsters who would most likly not bother with the dropped loot. Yet the NPC soverigns you would think would take it for themselves and use it or sell it. Hence no goodie hut created when an NPC hero/soverign kills said other NPC.

Though i do like the thought of a quest related to possible dropped NPC items. Mainly simple retireval for said family. Though that can get rough if as i said a NPC soverign takes it and you are stuck thinking do you realy need to go to war for that daggar.

June 30, 2010 7:35:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From the monsters description, it seems that most of them should drop some rare materials (to sell or maybe useable to build some rare items) in the final version

June 30, 2010 7:50:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sorry, double post due to forums going "boom" 

June 30, 2010 9:19:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yet the NPC soverigns you would think would take it for themselves and use it or sell it. Hence no goodie hut created when an NPC hero/soverign kills said other NPC.

This is true, although for quest linked loot it could be something worthless to the player or NPC sovereign.  Like maybe finding a bent sheild with the name of the hero inscribed on it.  In this case you get a shield that has no value but could still be a quest item.

June 30, 2010 9:29:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

in some case i could agree, maybe some unique "artifact" with great power

but in general, no, i dont like the idea of a map flooded with items

June 30, 2010 10:06:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do like the idea of creatures or humanoids (that might carry their own items/ accumulate loot of things they kill) having random loot..  it makes sense as well as adds another reason to hunt down creature/enemies other then pure exp.

however I suggest that depending on what killed does this killing, in many cases their should be no goodie hut generated.. for example a spider is killer by a orc.. if said spider had loot orc should claim it therefore no goodie hut.. if spider kills orc then a chance that some or all of a potential loot be added to spiders horde would be awesome..

further I hope that in the final version simply killing an npc for exp / loot  has a cost...for example if the npc is of a neutral, allied or friendly faction/race it should have a penalty.. This penalty could be in the form of  reduced penalty (i.e. our sovereign is a ruthless) / increased cost to hire similar npc (this would work well for research/ merchant/social benefit type npc's) or a set number of turns in where npc's (again only works well for research/ merchant/social benefit type) run / try to avoid the killer sovereign's lands.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time: