Strategy on Nintendo DS

By on June 28, 2010 4:40:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

joasoze

Join Date 02/2006
+39

Hi

My daughter (5 years old) got a DS for her birthday with Zhu Zhu and Super Mario Bros. I took a trip to Gamestop and got Bloodbowl, Advanced Wars:Dual Strike and Might and Magic:Clash of Heroes. Bloodbowl got very bad reviews and I havnt tried it yet. Advanced Wars is a great game (more or less the same as good old Battle Isle on PC). Clash of Heroes seems ok, but I havnt tried it enough to really know yet.

Do you people know of any good games for DS. I am a fan of strategy games on PC and want something to challenge the mind. Favorite PC games are CIV IV, Master of Orion II, Total Annihilation and Kings Bounty.

Locked Post 18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 28, 2010 11:48:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

and yes I work at gamestop heh

Age of Empires: Age of Kings

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Age of Empire: Mythologies

Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command

Hoshigami: Running Blue Earth Remix - Used

I have played all of these and find them as good as it gets on the ds heh

June 28, 2010 12:04:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know you said it already, but I think Advanced Wars is easily the best portable strategy series ever. My favorite on the DS though is Days of Ruin (its called something else outside of the US), not Duel Strike.

While a lot of people didn't like them coming up with an entirely new story, feeling and mechanics, I personally think it is a lot better game. While part of me misses the old COs, I'm glad they got rid of the "lets play war and eat ice cream afterwords!" mentality. It's also a bit darker (at least a fourth of the COs die in the story), though some of the series signature humor remains if you look for it.

Mechanics wise the battle formula's have been completely rewritten, the CO system was entirely changed, and they finally included a map editor that can do almost anything. It's a lot harder to get 1 hit kills now, and units now gain experience when they kill enemies, which provides some modest stat boosts and gives you a reason to keep them alive. CO's no longer effect all of their units, you have to put them directly in a unit, and they'll give a boost to units nearby. All COs now only have 1 CO power (actually 2 have none), but it's more equivalent to the super powers in Duel Strike. The extremely unbalanced duel strikes have obviously been removed from the previous title. Another thing worth mentioning is online play, which is decent if you don't get a game where someone hacks, but they are becoming hard to find lately. Setting up matches on websites is still alive and well though.

In other words, you should get it once you are done with Duel Strike, especially if you can find it used.

Other than that, there is Fire Emblem, but I wasn't all that impressed with it. I guess it's a remake of the original, but I found the GBA titles more entertaining honestly, and the series consistent lack of a free play mode seriously limits its potential in my opinion. Especially now that AW:Days of Ruin has a good map editor and can save up to 50 custom maps. A lot of people seem to love Fire Emblem though, so maybe I'm just the odd one out here.

There was an Age of Empires game for the DS as well that got decent reviews, but I haven't played it. I'll probably think of more later but that's where I will end this list.

June 28, 2010 12:10:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bloodbowl is actually a clever strategy game- don't discount it.  Sadly the DS interface is kludgy and causes more confusion than it should.

June 28, 2010 1:05:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://ds.ign.com/articles/988/988860p1.html -- Knights in the Nightmare

http://ds.ign.com/articles/912/912187p1.html -- Disgaea

http://ds.ign.com/articles/883/883264p1.html -- Final Fantasy Tactics (kid friendly, but deep strategy game)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/831/831719p1.html -- Front Mission.

I have played almost every listed here and by twohawks.  My personal suggestions would be: FFT, Fire Emblem, and Age of Empires: Myth.

Also, this is coming out next month, it's an old time favorite of mine and worth a peek:

http://ds.ign.com/objects/682/682871.html -- Monster Rancher DS.

June 28, 2010 1:16:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have played almost every listed here and by twohawks. My personal suggestions would be: FFT, Fire Emblem, and Age of Empires: Myth.

have to agree here .. fft and fire emblem are simply amazing for a ds strategy game..

June 28, 2010 1:24:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. Really fun game and my favorite on the DS.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/883/883264p1.html

June 28, 2010 1:28:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks ppl. I will make a list, print it and have a look in the used games section

June 28, 2010 1:35:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just a heads up, you have to be a bit of a masochist to play Fire Emblem.  Any game where you lose a unit in a map and its gone FOREVER is rough.  But that's the beauty of it for me... I love that level of challenge, one miss-step and you have to restart the map... hehe

June 28, 2010 1:45:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Settlers II on the DS is also not that bad.

June 28, 2010 2:02:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gothmogg,
Bloodbowl is actually a clever strategy game- don't discount it.  Sadly the DS interface is kludgy and causes more confusion than it should.

I bought it because I had considered getting it for PC, I guess I should have done that. I will try the DS one sometime

June 28, 2010 8:04:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting n3ctaris,
http://ds.ign.com/articles/912/912187p1.html -- Disgaea

This is pretty much the only game you'll ever need to buy.  I have this on the PS2 (the DS game is a port of that version) and it frankly leaves Final Fantasy Tactics for dead.

There are a few other games that are possibly worth looking into. 
Heroes of Mana is a Real Time Stategy game that works fairly ok (path finding is the only issue I have with it).  It's slow enough that it never devolves into the click-fest of something like Starcraft, while still retaining a thrilling experience.
Final Fantasy: Revnant Wings is also a RTS game thats paced nicely.  It's a little more 'spam'-ish with the units, however it's a blast to play.
Civilization: Revolutions of the DS sticks closer to the PC version than the other console versions.  It has basic graphics, more akin to the original Civilization, however it really is Civ in the palm of your hands and works terrifically.

June 29, 2010 3:45:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting n3ctaris,

Also, this is coming out next month, it's an old time favorite of mine and worth a peek:

http://ds.ign.com/objects/682/682871.html -- Monster Rancher DS.

MMM~!!!! its Monster farm!!!! Omg I played monster farm 1 on PS1 for 7 years so then I didn't even notice monsterfarm 2(aka. monster rancher 1) and more has been released and didn't even have a ps2 until ps3 was released LOL.

June 29, 2010 4:51:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Age of Empires for DS is not very good, you have to scroll and doing mistakes while moving is pretty common, very frustrating.

Fire Emblem DS is very bad But the GBA versions are pretty good, I would try to get those if you can.

About Advanced Wars, I like more Advanced Wars: Dual Strike than Days of Ruin.

FFT:A2 is nice too.

June 29, 2010 11:21:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to agree that Age of Empires on the DS is clunky, but it is fun either way. Nothing will replace FFTA2 though best game ever imo (yea I am biased).

June 29, 2010 11:42:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
Settlers II on the DS is also not that bad.

It's also widely reported to be completely broken.  Save games corrupting and major issues with the zoom feature that mean you can't use it.

Blood Bowl is best played on the PC, but wait for the Legendary Edition coming out soon, an improved version with all 21? teams.  Check the main site for details, I can't wait.

July 20, 2010 5:13:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just got a second adwanced war game on an auction site. Will cost me about $18 including shipping. Not bad really.

July 21, 2010 11:58:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Um...

It's your daughters DS... why are you playing on it?

Go buy your own

July 22, 2010 3:18:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting shadowtongue,
Um...

It's your daughters DS... why are you playing on it?

Go buy your own

I probably will eventually, but she goes to be at about 20:00 and then I can play a little. Since I also have a 10 month old boy, I have no time during the day to play DS. I have almost finished the campaigns on Clash of Heroes and Advanced Wars:Dual Strike.

But the next time I am going on a business trip (its rather rare, but it happens) I might be tempted to buy my own DS. To kill some time instead of the usual crime pocket book.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: