[Suggestion] Adventurers licensing

By on June 18, 2010 4:06:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

KellenDunk

Join Date 10/2008
+15

In a thread on the general board I mentioned the idea of Sovereigns being able to create a licensing system for the wandering adventurers.  This was done by placing a tax office next to some sort of adventurers guild type place.

That method may not be the best way to accomplish this, but my example of a way for why it would be cool to have buildings be able to modify more than one adjacent type of building had me thinking how useful the idea is.

IDEA.

A licensing system for those pesky wandering adventurers can be implemented in Elemental.  This allows the player to affect the actions of those wreck-less D&D parties as well as earn a regular fee for licensing from them.

Adventuring license has two settings, 

1.  License cost (X)
    •  
      • every N turns adventurers will either pay you X or lose become unable to adventure within your borders.
      • Lower cost encourages more adventurers, Higher cost discourages adventurers
      • A license cost can be made into a salary by simply making it a negative amount, this becomes an incentive for adventuring within your border.
  2. Exam Difficulty 
    • The exam level will correspond to the adventuring parties levels, adventurers below this setting cannot adventure within your borders.

Ignore the extraneous dots!

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 18, 2010 6:45:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to be able to give quests TO Adventurers. "I NEEDS ARTIFACTS GO GET ME SOME"

June 18, 2010 7:08:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There needs to be costs and benefits for being an "adventurer friendly" hub.  Although I love the idea.

June 18, 2010 12:57:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lwarmonger,
There needs to be costs and benefits for being an "adventurer friendly" hub.  Although I love the idea.

Well generally adventurers are bumbling idiots who die horrible deaths and piss off a ton of mindflayers deep underground causing them to seek vengeance upon all who dwell on the surface!

June 18, 2010 7:51:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i actually like the unpredictability of adventurers!  i want more out causing havoc.  ha ha

June 20, 2010 2:17:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think that there should be more than an indirect cost and benefit to having an adventurer friendly nation though.  If you provide a hospitable place for adventurers to resupply, adventure, and eventually settle down, assuming they survive (bringing all that sweet, sweet loot with them), there should be some pretty direct consequences from that.

First off, adventurers would come to your lands more than the neighboring lord (who happens to kill adventurers for the fun of it).  They should buy from your shops (bringing you a bit of tax revenue, and providing them with better equipment), stay at your pubs (where you should be able to offer jobs to them, or have them take jobs from others), and eventually ask for a nice little plot of land within your territory to settle down (where they can build a residence, which would depend on the type of adventurer they are for what type of residence they build and what can happen there).

But what is more, within your territory they should be seeking out places to adventure, and getting rid of problems for you (if they like you).  However, if they are a more nefarious type of adventurer, they should be seeking to cause you problems.  Example, one enterprising young "adventurer" might decide that raiding your caravans is a useful hobby, prompting you to have to assign heavier guards to the caravan or hire more friendly characters to hunt him down.

That leads me to point number three.  Right now the character recruitment system is pretty inflexible and impersonal.  While I think this will get better as the betas go on, I would like to see two ways of interacting with characters, only one of which is semi-modelled now.  First, you can hire them directly (as we do now), they will charge a salary (based on their level), and you get complete control over them.   These will be your "enforcers," state adventurers, state merchants, thinkers, administrators, ect.  They will be costly, and will get more expensive as time goes on and they get better at what they do.  Then, there are your friendly adventurers.  These guys you can hire by job or by time period (guard this caravan or city for X amount of time).  You do not get direct control over them.  You pay them a one time fee, or a small fee up front and a bigger fee at the successful conclusion of their task.  The percentage of the loot they get to keep is the subject of negotiation.  After their task is complete they go on their way.  An advantage of being an adventurer friendly nation is that there are a lot of NPC's who flock to your cities that you can now "subcontract" jobs out to.  The downside is that those same NPC's could be out there stirring up problems and, occasionally, taking direct action against you.

June 25, 2010 4:51:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah right. How about DMRM (Draconic Magical Rights Management) on spells you trade with allied Sovereigns? They can learn spells from you but they can only teach them to two of their wizards at a time. And if another wiz wants to learn the spell one of the other two has to call-, and have it erased from memory by you. Also the other sov don't own the spells but just a revokable license to use them for which he has to pay annual fees.

June 25, 2010 6:07:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Star Adder,
Yeah right. How about DMRM (Draconic Magical Rights Management) on spells you trade with allied Sovereigns? They can learn spells from you but they can only teach them to two of their wizards at a time. And if another wiz wants to learn the spell one of the other two has to call-, and have it erased from memory by you. Also the other sov don't own the spells but just a revokable license to use them for which he has to pay annual fees.

There was an option in Civ4's world creation called "No technology brokering" that essentially worked like this. If you gained a tech off another player / computer player, then you couldn't ever trade it.

June 25, 2010 8:44:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am hoping for certain options like "no spell trading" (I would probably allow spells to be traded most of the time... but I'd like the option) and "no tech trading" (this would be enabled all the time, because allowing this eliminates the choices you have to make between trees).  An option for "tech diffusion" though, as is included in many of Civ 4's wonderful mods, most notably Revolutions, would always be enabled to allow small empires to stay in the game.

June 27, 2010 4:48:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

...this gave me an idea.

The idea is simple - GalCiv had the Espionage screen. Why can't Elemental have the 'free agents' or 'adventurers' screen? This screen would be directly tied to adventuring research, allowing you to unlock more features by advancing further in the tree. The selling of 'adventuring licenses' could 'register' an adventuring party, giving them a minor-faction-esque background screen. From here, you can get some basic background on what this party has done - more information obtained from requiring more fame for a license.

An example is the adventuring party headed by Joffrey. Joff's group unleashed a demon nearby, and then proceeded to track down the demon and kill it. They go to a city of yours to register for an adventuring license (more stuff to do in your lands, they feel) and are told they have to have done something nifty for a license. Holding up the demon's head gets them in, and your scribes/scholars put that information into the background screen on them for you to see.

If you gave away licenses all willy-nilly, then Joffrey wouldn't have to say he killed the demon. Instead, they'd get a pass, and you would have no idea it was them.

Lower requirements means you start off with much less information regarding an adventuring group, but you get more adventurers combing your lands for treasure and competing with each other. Higher requirements means you start off with more information, possibly even a monetary tribute every so often, but fewer adventurers will come - and those adventurers will probably end up with more influence and power, making them potentially dangerous in times of war.

Now, just having the background is nice and all, and you can follow what one party has done, even put out a bounty on a party that has been reported to you. But there needs to be more than just an info screen, right?

• Assign Task: You can make this a feature in giving a license. You select a party in the screen, click this button, and a few options pop up - scout, destroy, protect, wait, explore, etc. You then choose the rewards - monetary (give resources and gold), itemic (new word? give items and equipment), and reputation (agree to hire adventurers or give them special favors [below])
  • Place Bounty: Angry with these fellas? Put a bounty on them, paid out to the first adventurers to take 'em down.
  • Adjust Rights: Done globally for your faction, or individually as a reward. This includes the status of a license, whether or not the adventurers can trade in your cities, whether or not the adventurers can use city stuff (IE, enchant their equipment if they have crystals, other stuff that doesn't come to mind)
  • Give Reward: Give something to the adventurers. This is done not as adjusting their rights, but as a specific boon. It's different to allow all adventurers to trade in my lands, and just allowing one or two groups to trade. This can be items, weapons, tomes, whatever.

Also on the screen would be the tithe option - whether or not you tax the adventurers for just being in your lands.

Adventurers would have a slider bar based on their power, monetary and political - not combat. Lower power means that they will work more cheaply, and are less of a threat if they turn rogue. Higher power means that they are favored by powerful backers, and will not work for free, if at all.

June 27, 2010 7:08:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a really good idea.  Something like this needs to find its way into the game.  Most adventurers should not be "owned" by a nation state

June 27, 2010 7:35:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And in all honesty, if adventurers are just champions conveniently located in groups, it'll take a lot away from the game. I mean, it'd be a blast to meet up with a team of legendary adventurers later in the game...or to just randomly look over the adventuring tab and see, "Hey! They're the fools that sent that HORDE OF DEMONS rampaging through my lands! I WANT THEM DEAD!"

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time: