[Suggestion]Menu/Interface designs

By on June 16, 2010 3:53:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wintersong

Join Date 07/2006
+235

Altough I'm quite sure that we haven't seen the last of the interface in the different menus, I'd like to comment a couple of details.

Don't mind the crappy edition (or the marble background, it's a thing for my mod. The background, not the crappy edition).

Many screens would benefit of an approach similar to that of Kingdom Info screen, with options to one side that give access to different options.

The Create Sovereign screen for example, in the equipment section could use some subsections based on the different body slots and according to which we select, we get to pick up from a list of appropiate equipment for that slot. Clothes section could use it, or some of the unit desing ones.

The City Improvement List could use some tabs for the different types of buildlings.

Also, I like the work you are doing with it but I get a feeling of flat... or... well, not interesting enough? Some are very nice but others feel... uninteresting? Not sure if it's just a matter of colours but not that I'm expert on skinning so just saying. (and yes, I know that there are more important things... but altering interfaces was supposed to be easy, right?)

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 16, 2010 4:08:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to agree with this, they don't seem very interesting. They feel kind of lacking, although I have no idea what.

June 16, 2010 4:33:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tabs for city building is something I want to avoid if at all possible, due to the frequency with which people will be using the screen.  Basically, since city building is something we do almost every turn, we want to minimize the number of clicks, since clicks saved on that screen add up rather quickly. 

Tabs on sovereign creation are a good idea, especially since you only do that screen once per game.

June 16, 2010 4:40:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tabs for city should be included but be defaulted to a 'Show all' tab so that when you have only a few buildings to choose from you don't need to switch but as it escalates you can (don't have to) switch to find it easier.

June 16, 2010 4:49:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bilskis,
Tabs for city should be included but be defaulted to a 'Show all' tab so that when you have only a few buildings to choose from you don't need to switch but as it escalates you can (don't have to) switch to find it easier.

That would deal with my concern rather effectively.  Perhaps when in show-all it could do the overlay icons like this?

June 16, 2010 5:01:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like tabbing buiilding very much. There's too many improvements available to easily use the current menu. Also, tabbing could reduce the build menu size, I wouldn't mind it taking a bit less space.

June 16, 2010 5:13:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While they look great once placed, I find the city improvement menu options to be literally flat, and monochromatic (red?  really?).  It makes building selection - which should be exciting - feel dull and even painful.  Hopefully the assets for this will improve greatly before release.  

Also, Sareln's production overlay idea is awesome.  Tabs for groupings which default to 'Show All' is another good idea.

June 16, 2010 5:20:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
I would like tabbing buiilding very much. There's too many improvements available to easily use the current menu. Also, tabbing could reduce the build menu size, I wouldn't mind it taking a bit less space.
Tabs can reduce search time a lot (and I forgot to add a "Show All" one in the pic but obviously it would need one).

Quoting Sareln,

That would deal with my concern rather effectively.  Perhaps when in show-all it could do the overlay icons like this?
Overlay icons is something good too. It could be even better than tabs if we consider the possibility of extra "resources". As you can see in my pic, the tabs (being crappy) are already taking some space up there. (and I'm not thinking about two lines of tabs because seems overkill...)

Quoting kyogre12,
I have to agree with this, they don't seem very interesting. They feel kind of lacking, although I have no idea what.
I do wonder, at least for some of the menus, if it's the clash between the nice parchment background with the windows they have in it. I know I feel uncomfortable in the in-game character screen (where you can see the details and change equipment) but not sure if it's because of that, or because of the disposition of the elements... That's why I haven't mentioned anything until now.

June 16, 2010 5:34:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the idea of tabbed city structures, with a "show all/tabbed view" toggle.  I especially like the idea of the sidebar for unit stuff, like you show on sovereign.  If a tabbed city structure setup is not viable, could we at least get shaded backgrounds, with all of the same type having the same color?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time: