does karma naturally go away?

By on June 8, 2010 1:58:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Azrailx

Join Date 02/2008
+28

i used to have around 20 karma, now its gone but still show up if i click on my karma rating

be this normal!?!?!~

Locked Post 16 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 8, 2010 2:03:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think there's two kinds of karma, one global (from mods) and one game-specific from users. So if you get karma from another game site, it doesn't necessarily show up on the next game site. I could be mistaken.

June 8, 2010 2:03:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

be this normal!?!?!~

It's than damn Karma Chameleon again.

June 8, 2010 2:06:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did you change which one of the Stardock sites you're posting from? If you got all your karma from the Demigod site (which looks to be the case) and then started coming to Elemental or Sins or something, it won't show your karma until someone on the new site gives you karma (which is weird, I know). Because you're right, looking at this post from Elemental, it says you have 0 karma, but when I click on it it shows you have karma.

June 8, 2010 2:07:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You lose Karma due to piracy so make sure to use good DRM on it.

Seriously: they are just temporal fluctuations. (and maybe depends on which forum you are checking as Karma is localized to the forums in which you received it).

June 8, 2010 2:16:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also, your Kharma is still listed in detail atleast, you just have a count of zero unfortunately.

June 8, 2010 2:33:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Karma can fluctuate wildly depending on the forum you visit, the amount of karma you've received, and when you receive karma.  I will eventually take the time to revamp the karma system and make it... better... but for now, you can always rely on your individual karma page to be accurate.

Bara

June 8, 2010 3:05:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

kk that makes perfect sense thanks for the info

June 10, 2010 7:38:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,
Karma can fluctuate wildly depending on the forum you visit, the amount of karma you've received, and when you receive karma.  I will eventually take the time to revamp the karma system and make it... better... but for now, you can always rely on your individual karma page to be accurate.

Two quibbles:

1) You can't "rely on your individual karma page" because it does not provide totals that reflect the listed entries and it limits listed entries by page length and/or timestamp on the entry. (Manual count attempts are also complicated by the fact that some users at some sites can give more than 1 karma per entry.)

2) Given the wild fluctuations, wouldn't it be better to hide all the karma UI stuff until you can "make it... better" or at least consistent?

June 10, 2010 7:43:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People care about karma?

Wait... can I get stuff for having karma?  I would totally care more if you get a free t-shirt after a certain amount of karma or something lol

June 10, 2010 7:57:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting 4Nana,
People care about karma?

Wait... can I get stuff for having karma?  I would totally care more if you get a free t-shirt after a certain amount of karma or something lol

My Nana would have objected to the karma thing on religious grounds because my grandfather was a Presbyterian minister, but she died well before modems became consumer products. Me, I mostly want that forum clutter to go away, but I'm human, hence at least occasionally vain, and therefore ambivalent. Given my impression that Stardock wants it to stay and have 'value,' I wish that it wasn't quite so much like Florida weather. Around here, you can get pounded with serious hail and a big bucket of sudden rain while the neighbors two doors down didn't even get wet.

June 10, 2010 8:21:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wait... can I get stuff for having karma?

Yes you can,  a warm fuzzy feeling.

June 11, 2010 3:33:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

Quoting GunslingerBara, reply 6Karma can fluctuate wildly depending on the forum you visit, the amount of karma you've received, and when you receive karma.  I will eventually take the time to revamp the karma system and make it... better... but for now, you can always rely on your individual karma page to be accurate.

Two quibbles:

1) You can't "rely on your individual karma page" because it does not provide totals that reflect the listed entries and it limits listed entries by page length and/or timestamp on the entry. (Manual count attempts are also complicated by the fact that some users at some sites can give more than 1 karma per entry.)

2) Given the wild fluctuations, wouldn't it be better to hide all the karma UI stuff until you can "make it... better" or at least consistent?

You might want it removed, but I'd probably get a hundred people telling me to put it back  The karma system works, it's just that the number calculations are wrong.  Once those are fixed, all of the karma people have received will be reflected accurately, so there's no reason to turn it off.

Also, I meant as far as seeing your karma, not getting a count.  Does the count really matter?  I may as well remove the count and just notify you when you get new karma.  But we'll see what happens.

Bara

June 12, 2010 4:59:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just remember karma is on the inside, a few external numbers are not relevant.

June 12, 2010 12:21:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,
...You might want it removed, but I'd probably get a hundred people telling me to put it back  The karma system works, it's just that the number calculations are wrong.  Once those are fixed, all of the karma people have received will be reflected accurately, so there's no reason to turn it off.

Also, I meant as far as seeing your karma, not getting a count.  Does the count really matter?  I may as well remove the count and just notify you when you get new karma.  But we'll see what happens.

I'm know that I'm an outlier in pretty much any collection of people, except perhaps Opinionated, Mouthy People. It's still theoretically 'public service' because the center can hold on better if it has some idea of what's going on at the fringes.

Re the count on the report page, I suppose it doesn't "really matter," but what passes for my professional background leaves me really vexed by 'blatant' UI errors. Also, when the report page counts are working, they can let you know that you got some appreciation from a ranked user at one of the sites where some people can give more than 1 karma at a time. If site karma is supposed to have a positive feedback role, it seems like the report should actually indicate which entries were >1 and by how much.

All that aside, if I read your last scrap rightly, I think it might be very good to strip the numbers out entirely and just get an analog to the PM notice every time your report page has updates. The reports would need to be able to run long or have multiple pages, though.

June 12, 2010 12:26:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

it's just that the number calculations are wrong.

Jafo is collecting a fund to pay Bara to go to school....and learn sums and stuff.

June 12, 2010 12:26:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
Just remember karma is on the inside, a few external numbers are not relevant.

Indeed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: