+1484

Testing out the map generation.

Locked Post 85 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 7, 2010 11:27:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You should be attached to your dwarvesh. Urist McGeneric has a family to raise. Who you should hate though, is the elves and the nobles. Damn nobles demanding that I not sell stone crafts. The throne room has quite a nice view over a pit of magma and Fun.

why hate the humans, none of them lived through my last 2 games world gen ^^

June 7, 2010 11:42:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Was this map made by hand, or was it a randomly generated map?

If it was randomly generated, then why are there no hills? In nearly all the videos and screenshots we've ever gotten, hills are mysteriously non-existent. With the world divided into flat plains and mountains, it really does look artificial and boring. But in the handful of images/videos we've gotten with hills, the world feels so much more real! I really hope the RMG uses hills well, it'll be a real shame if it doesn't.

June 8, 2010 1:53:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pigeon, one of the other map videos he's put out recently show that hills are available as well. And they look good, up close and far out.

June 8, 2010 1:57:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
I'm not much of a modder . . but after seeing *this* vid I can't get the thought of recreating Odyssey: The Compleat Apventure using this engine.

Thanks Stardock!

Heh.  Funny you should say that!

June 8, 2010 1:58:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gwakamoli,
Curious what was stopping you from building from the beach onto the grassy tiles, form the vid it looked like you had adjacent buildable tiles.

If it's not possible to build on the beaches (excepting coastal structures) would it be worth stopping the player starting a city on a beach tile?

Bugs.

June 8, 2010 2:11:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Bugs.

Where? On the beach or in the grass. Don't the settler's have mosquito netting?

June 8, 2010 2:39:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Bugs.

ahhh ...i know it's a beta but it's to easy to forget that, the vids and screenies make the game look so polished already

June 8, 2010 4:18:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anomander,
The Game is definitely coming along from the first time I fired up the BETA, looking so much better...

Frogboy so far I note your vids all follow a similar trend. Clicking tiles, throwing down building icons, noting NPCs, recruiting and stat referencing. For me I still dont see the immersion factor yet, I dont even feel the fantasy element....it currently could be any RTS game I've played. Example: When NPC 'cards' become merely that....stat cards, why have histories or pics even?

How are you going to build in this immersion, and how are you going to make this world come alive?

I don't know about you, but for me the most important factor in making the world feel "alive" and RPG-like is random events and quests. Little things like the rat infestation, the kidnapped nobleman's daughter, rescuing the cubs of the wolf giving birth in a nearby cave, etc. - those things already greatly help the immersion for my part, and presumably throughout the beta we'll get even more such events and quests to make the world feel more alive. I'd especially like to see some events that do not lead specifically to quests with rewards at the end, but are just things that happen you have to deal with.

Note I find a significant difference between these random events, and the quests you actually seek out at an inn - the latter feels more game like, you see an inn and seek it out as if it were a goody hut promising loot and xp, as opposed to the random event-based quests that just happen whether or not you're looking for them. I mean the inns are great, on-demand quests are important for gameplay purposes, to keep the player busy when random events aren't occuring - but the random ones do more to make the world come alive for me.

But that's just me, what do you think would help immersion, specifically?

June 8, 2010 4:55:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For those who wish for more Rping and less strategy and feel there is not enough depth to the character development, remember this is meant to be a Strategy game with a "flare of RPg" but what will be available  via the editor will be where the PnP old school player will find Elemental can shines in the long run. Modders are sure to provide more depth to this game perhaps even more than Stardock will over the years(when it comes to Rpg and very complex character development).

Every time Brad allows us to see more of the game through his videos the more I believe "His got it" He understands clearly what both the Stratagy player expects and how an Rpg gamer thinks and the possibility of attracting even non gamers that love PnP old school table top games (by making the game "seem" simple in its presentation to a non gamer yet an obvious breath of fresh air to the long term gamer and to the few silly ones (like myself) a possible dream come true "My cake and eat it too?? yea why not" Rpg with tactical battles and city managment and quests and character development and map editor with a cloth map or 3d and the list goes on and on. I would be worried if Stardock was attempting to do this internally with out players input for I have seen the greatness in modules in other games when the community becomes involved. After all we are the ones playing it we should know a thing or two as to what is fun and what is not (and that is always different to each individual) Elementals vast flexibility is the perfect recipe for the beginning of a great start.

It is not the Release Date that has me so exited about this game it is what I see possible and available to us players in the years to come or even decades if Elemental capture the interest of the old school PnP table top plays if full force.

June 8, 2010 5:02:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's smoooth !

June 8, 2010 5:52:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Game looks pretty damn good way to go Stardock   you just need to finish the AI and it will be a epic game for millenniums to come all it will need is a add-on here and there but dont make add-ons like EA who make like 300 expansions for sims like try buying them all ffs lol.Take your time Stardock dont rush.Rushing makes mistakes just look at ea and you will know what im talking about lol

June 8, 2010 5:54:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My only complaint is that the island the video started on just looked...weird to me...somehow

Everything else looks great though. I had wondered why there seemed to be very few beaches in the latest screenshots and a large number of cliffs but the reasoning sounds great. Hopefully the whole beach-landing thing will make the island maps a lot more exciting.

June 8, 2010 5:56:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game is looking sweet! Can't wait.

June 8, 2010 5:58:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The RPG feeling is in... er... our minds? Much like if you are playing with some friends around a table? Things like maps, descriptions and similars (can) give (if well done) a deeper feeling to it but in the end is a matter of mind. Considering that this is a TBS and not an RPG (and first try of Stardock at it), the number/quantity/quality of elements to help us to immerse in their universe is somehow limited. And the present elements' evaluation is personal at best as already mentioned. Personally I'd say "so far, so good".

June 8, 2010 7:01:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay, Darwinia reference and a really cool looking map  I'm kind of speechless with all the little details of this game. Looking forward to what shows up in the future.

June 8, 2010 7:08:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Omg omg omg omg omg omg (omg) omg omg

June 8, 2010 7:30:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great video, as usual!

Quoting Raven X,

Anyway, indeed it's looking very nice. Can't wait to dig in and see what I can do.

Prepare yourself for some MP games Raven! [This week..hopefully! ]

June 8, 2010 7:55:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will the Sovereign be able to cast spells while on a ship, or can he only do that when he is on land?

June 8, 2010 9:35:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Too Funny Brad. Really quite awesome!  Can't wait to play it.

The original for comparison (Apple ][):

June 8, 2010 9:37:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zubaz, reply 43I'm not much of a modder . . but after seeing *this* vid I can't get the thought of recreating Odyssey: The Compleat Apventure using this engine.

Thanks Stardock![/quote]

[quote who="Blaze of Glory" reply="48" id="2642843"]

Errr, aren't you with Stardock?

I was . . . but have moved on.  The current badge is a bug that has been reported to the web devs.  (I wondered who would comment on it.)

June 8, 2010 9:38:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Eidolon94,
Will the Sovereign be able to cast spells while on a ship, or can he only do that when he is on land?

It would make no sense, if the Sov wouldn't be able to cast spells while on the ship.

June 8, 2010 9:54:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Austinvn,

Quoting Anomander, reply 5The Game is definitely coming along from the first time I fired up the BETA, looking so much better...

Frogboy so far I note your vids all follow a similar trend. Clicking tiles, throwing down building icons, noting NPCs, recruiting and stat referencing. For me I still dont see the immersion factor yet, I dont even feel the fantasy element....it currently could be any RTS game I've played. Example: When NPC 'cards' become merely that....stat cards, why have histories or pics even?

How are you going to build in this immersion, and how are you going to make this world come alive?
I don't know about you, but for me the most important factor in making the world feel "alive" and RPG-like is random events and quests. Little things like the rat infestation, the kidnapped nobleman's daughter, rescuing the cubs of the wolf giving birth in a nearby cave, etc. - those things already greatly help the immersion for my part, and presumably throughout the beta we'll get even more such events and quests to make the world feel more alive. I'd especially like to see some events that do not lead specifically to quests with rewards at the end, but are just things that happen you have to deal with.

Note I find a significant difference between these random events, and the quests you actually seek out at an inn - the latter feels more game like, you see an inn and seek it out as if it were a goody hut promising loot and xp, as opposed to the random event-based quests that just happen whether or not you're looking for them. I mean the inns are great, on-demand quests are important for gameplay purposes, to keep the player busy when random events aren't occuring - but the random ones do more to make the world come alive for me.

But that's just me, what do you think would help immersion, specifically?

Oh I agree, major and minor quests make a difference but is not everything.... but they must be done properly. I BETAed Pirates of the Burning Sea, and told them from day one that their quests had no sense of meaning or consequence. You very rarely read the background text, and merely followed the mission highlighter, killed or spoke to those in sight and ching, rewarded.

I feel that partially is what is happening with Elemental...and like with recruiting NPC's. It seems, as Brad proves merely skip the flesh and go straight the the bone (stats).

How would I do it, hmmm difficult... I'd probably reward those who bothered to read the quest details. Perhaps have wheels within wheels. Little snippets of info that if absorbed may give glues to other quests or missions. Have a huge background story, that 'some' of these missions somehow inter-connect. All leading to a artefact of power, or some game changing knowledge!!!

Please dont get me wrong also, I'm not all RPG, I wargame too....and I'm not getting Epic Wargame either from Elemental at this stage. More roving bands of mismatched and odd companies. Thrown together in a random world. I wince when I see, Spiders alongside Dragons and Club wielding peasants.... its like some bad taste 80's cocktail, fantasy for fantasy sake almost.

June 8, 2010 10:14:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting Zubaz, reply 43I'm not much of a modder . . but after seeing *this* vid I can't get the thought of recreating Odyssey: The Compleat Apventure using this engine.

Thanks Stardock!

Reduced 53%Original 1062 x 709

These maps look so cool.  Can you give us a rough time frame it takes to generate a map like that using your editors?  Obviously it'll take us more time as we get used to the system but I am curious as to the effort involved.

Keep the videos coming, enjoying seeing the game develop!

June 8, 2010 10:23:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tormy-,
Great video, as usual!

Quoting Raven X,
reply 32

Anyway, indeed it's looking very nice. Can't wait to dig in and see what I can do.

Prepare yourself for some MP games Raven! [This week..hopefully! ]

Initiate Program WTFPWN....Program Running....Awaiting Input.

June 8, 2010 10:49:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anomander, I am interested in what you said about the unit groups being too random. I am confused by what you mean exactly. Why would having spiders and ogres and light infantry in a given army be problematic to your aesthetic values? I am actually of the camp that wants spiders and bear and elephant mounts to liven up the fantastical nature of the game.

Is it not up to the player to decide which units should be recruited and assigned to an army? 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time: