Elemental: Modding

By on June 2, 2010 1:37:51 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

While Element comes packed with its own lore, players and modders can create their own fantasy universe using either the game options (while setting up a normal game) as well as making use of the Workshop for modding.

The mod tools in Elemental are designed to let players design their own worlds in great detail.

The 4 major pieces of the workshop are:

1. The Tile Editor
  2. The Map Editor
  3. The Item Editor
  4. The Effects Editor

The Tile Editor is used to create new tiles in the world. These tiles can be purely cosmetic or can serve a specific purpose. Every tile in Elemental was created using this tile editor.

Designing your tile

Once a tile is created, the player then can bring it into the game and assign what that tile actually is (or in XML assign it to be a city improvement). Is the tile a sorcerer’s fortress? An evil dragon? A wish giving demon? The map editor is where the two are connected.

Making your own map

These maps can then be saved and loaded in game.  With it, a player could create their own RPG/like adventure/strategy hybrid and share it with others online.

In addition, solving quests, finding secret locations, loot, etc. all can provide different types of items. Players can use our large catalog of existing art content or they can use their own created content in game.

Creating your own items

Players interested in adding new spells to the game or who want to apply affects to tiles

Creating your own spell effects and other effects.

Effects can be placed in a tile to help give it extra pazazz.

Locked Post 67 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 2, 2010 1:43:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking very, very good Modding and editing are one of the true joys, and unfortunately these days too rare, delights of PC games (for me at least).  

June 2, 2010 1:45:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, elemental will surely be THE GAME...

Frogboy any chance for larger screenshots? I would love to be able to read what is writen in the Editors...

Btw, you guys have gone beyond, you are not making just a game, with tools such as you developed it will be possible to do "almost" everything...

I don't have doubts, this game will shine...

Again: BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!!

June 2, 2010 1:49:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Holy ****! This is awesome. Personally, I find the item workshop most impressing, because of the amount of options. I will probably spend a lot of time playing with that and with the Particle Editor.

June 2, 2010 2:07:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't wait!

June 2, 2010 2:13:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does this mean you can edit the game while your playin, add something then go back to the game?

June 2, 2010 2:16:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Eidolon94,
Holy ****! This is awesome.

Seconded!

June 2, 2010 2:20:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm the fact that we can put effects on tiles makes me think... can we make tornadoes (or storms or what have you) that go around the map each turn?

June 2, 2010 2:36:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Thrawn2787,
Hmm the fact that we can put effects on tiles makes me think... can we make tornadoes (or storms or what have you) that go around the map each turn?

I'm curious about this too, but far more interested to know if units will be tossed around by a tornado or something like that...

June 2, 2010 2:56:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does this mean you can edit the game while your playin, add something then go back to the game?

My guess would be probably not.

When you start a game and you wait for the world to "be created" It is probably pulling all of this information in. My guess is once you are in a game, you won;t be able to modify things and have it take effect in the current game.

I'm no game designer, but I ahve done a good bit of programming and that would be my (possibly incorrect) assumption.

June 2, 2010 3:11:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Read "player" as "modder" - these editors are for modders/map creators

Quoting ,

The Tile Editor
The Map Editor
The Item Editor
The Effects Editor

You could create your own map with your own tiles with your own spell effects and items without coding a single line it looks like, and then play them if you wanted. Or share them with others. My understanding, IANASDD.

June 2, 2010 3:13:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy:

Can we design walkmeshes and set walking points in the tile editor? If I wanted to make a little corral with sheep (pretending there is a sheep model) in it that actually walked around, could I?

June 2, 2010 3:56:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Holy F***! This is what I always wanted! OMG! (Sad though we have to wait until beta 4...) Love creating tons of stuff in editors. And then playing the crap out of them! THANK YOU!

June 2, 2010 4:06:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Need.

June 2, 2010 4:18:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You know frogboy. If you turned these toys loose a little early and set up a submission area in the forums or site. You guys would probably get some truly amazing things that could be added in pre release.

Hell thinking about people like Raven you would probably have almost 2 new expansion ready before release.

June 2, 2010 4:20:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Beign able to design spell effect is something that I would never thought beign possible for the user. Designing maps, objects and tiles is a pretty common concept.

The only thing left would be to have a monster editor which would allow you to create a creature without beign a 3D modeler. Maybe you can look at "the spores" for inspiration. It might not necesarily need to be as sophisticated, but for example I would like to be able to build a creature like this:

1- Select a humanoid silhouette

2- Add scales as skin

3- Add spikes on elbows and shoulder

4- Add bat like wings

5- Change the colors of each element of the creature

6- Add a spear.

And voila, you have a new type of creature.

So it needs to be relatively simple, pick some choices in some lists and make combinations.

You could have humanoid, quadruped and legless models for example.

Besides that, I don't see what else needs to be modded.

June 2, 2010 4:48:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting larienna,
Beign able to design spell effect is something that I would never thought beign possible for the user. Designing maps, objects and tiles is a pretty common concept.

The only thing left would be to have a monster editor which would allow you to create a creature without beign a 3D modeler. Maybe you can look at "the spores" for inspiration. It might not necesarily need to be as sophisticated, but for example I would like to be able to build a creature like this:

1- Select a humanoid silhouette

2- Add scales as skin

3- Add spikes on elbows and shoulder

4- Add bat like wings

5- Change the colors of each element of the creature

6- Add a spear.

And voila, you have a new type of creature.

So it needs to be relatively simple, pick some choices in some lists and make combinations.

You could have humanoid, quadruped and legless models for example.

Besides that, I don't see what else needs to be modded.

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a Winner here folks!!!

Good stuff too, Frogboy.

But...um...why do you keep using those tiny pics that I can't enlarge? You're killing us man . BIGGER Pictures Please

June 2, 2010 4:55:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting XeronX,
You know frogboy. If you turned these toys loose a little early and set up a submission area in the forums or site. You guys would probably get some truly amazing things that could be added in pre release.

Hell thinking about people like Raven you would probably have almost 2 new expansion ready before release.

There's too much "game" missing right now for that to work. Mods are likely to break early and often with how much of the core game is still changing. By beta 4 things should be more stable on the game front, and the modders can go to town prior to release.

June 2, 2010 6:18:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Totally agree with larienna and Raven X, a monster editor would be amazing.

It's so true no matter how much you get you always want more.....

June 2, 2010 6:51:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And the Lord showed unto the people the editors.  And the people saw the editors.  And they were good.

June 2, 2010 6:56:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting XeronX,

LoL , indeed

June 2, 2010 7:00:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DarthPrincey,
Totally agree with larienna and Raven X, a monster editor would be amazing.

Check out This Idea post. If they add something like that we can make Races And Monsters, which is basically what I had in mind when proposing the idea. Mostly because it would help me make "Draconians" for the Dragonlance Mod really easily.

June 2, 2010 9:31:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Raven X,

Quoting DarthPrincey, reply 18Totally agree with larienna and Raven X, a monster editor would be amazing.

Check out This Idea post. If they add something like that we can make Races And Monsters, which is basically what I had in mind when proposing the idea. Mostly because it would help me make "Draconians" for the Dragonlance Mod really easily.

I think it's the one editor that seems to be missing. This should definitely be at the top of a 'we want to add this....' list.

June 2, 2010 9:41:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Probably won't be in at release but we'll definitely put it on our list.

June 2, 2010 10:42:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've said it before and I say it again! Stardocks reputation is growing bigger and bigger every day This game is THE GAME.. And it wouldn't surprise me if this game turn out to be the game of the year!!

Great tools!! Can't wait to try'em.. And nice suggestion about the monster/creature creator

June 2, 2010 10:44:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just to clarify, more advanced modding functionality such as creating quests, scripts, managing variables, defining factions, etc., will be done using Python, correct? 

I'm fairly certain that is the case, but the first sentence of this entry seems to contradict that.

Quoting ,

While Element comes packed with its own lore, players and modders can create their own fantasy universe using either the game options (while setting up a normal game) as well as making use of the Workshop for modding.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000062   Page Render Time: