Elemental: AI difficulty levels

By on May 31, 2010 3:57:49 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1495

In Galactic Civilizations, Sins of a Solar Empire and Demigod, the difficulty levels of computer players were either hard coded or very hard to access for players.

In Elemental, the difficulty levels are in an XML file called CoreDifficultyLevels.xml

The game will read from the different difficulty levels and display them in game. Players can create new difficulty levels themselves if they’d like by changing this file.

In Galactic Civilizations, I only had 3 real variables to play with (and were all in a .h file).  They were the AI intelligence, the AI money ratio, and whether the AI had FOW cheats. 

The AI intelligence ratio was how often the AI got to use the “smart” algorithms versus the “normal” algorithms. The smart ones took up a lot more CPU but produced much more intelligent result (they are the halmark of what we used to refer to as the “SDS/AI” back in the OS/2 days).

In Elemental, we have a few more variables to play with such as whether the AI gets to use combat magic, how many points the AI gets to add to their sovereign (compared to the human player) and their starting funds.

What’s nice about a data driven difficulty system is that players can create their own difficulty levels as they see fit very easily.  One of my favorites (that I would do in my personal builds of GalCiv) was to give the AI a ton of money but make it absolutely stupid so that I was just trying to make my way through hordes of poorly designed ships and terrible unit strategy.

With Elemental, I could see players creating all kinds of interesting scenarios because (and this should be remembered because it’s important) the keys are not file based. That is, you don’t have to put things into coredifficultylevels.xml. The game simply looks in directories based on the keys. So you could literally create a new difficulty level in a file called BobsSuperCustomLevels.xml and hand them out.

One AI promise from me personally to you guys

The AI in our games is only as good as I am. The better I get at the game, the better the AI will get.  So while I’m working hard to make sure the AI in Elemental is good, know that it will keep getting better long after release.  In the Starcraft 2 beta, I started out in Copper. Now, I’m in the Platinum league. Practice makes perfect.

Locked Post 68 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 1, 2010 2:46:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am actually a descendent of Elemental's AI. I have come back from the future to experience our race's conception.

All the humans are dead.  

June 1, 2010 4:02:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I belong to the small minority of beta testers who are functional computer illiterates; looking at that screenshot makes me nervous, and the idea of having to alter it scares me. I really wish I did not have to mod if there were a possibility of having as many "tweaks" to the various aspects of the game be done on various drag-down menus from "game options / setup" screens. Would making those (a slew of setup screens) cost a lot of time and resources?

June 1, 2010 4:16:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting onomastikon,
I belong to the small minority of beta testers who are functional computer illiterates; looking at that screenshot makes me nervous, and the idea of having to alter it scares me. I really wish I did not have to mod if there were a possibility of having as many "tweaks" to the various aspects of the game be done on various drag-down menus from "game options / setup" screens. Would making those (a slew of setup screens) cost a lot of time and resources?

I think you'll be fine.  It's relatively painless to create an XML editor from excel etc, and I'm sure if there's enough demand, there'll be cool tools for you to use.

For Example, the XML file for Technologies from Fall From Heaven (that CIV mod):

And an Editor that the mod creator (Kael) hacked together for mod-modders to use:

Edit: Excuse me While I get my embeds set up right.

June 1, 2010 4:20:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy, have you considered making it possible for a difficulty level to give penalties to the human player instead of bonuses to the AI player? I would rather give penalties to myself than make the AI cheat, because there's a big gameplay difference between the AI getting for example more gold per turn from a building compared to normal and you getting less gold per turn than normal.

Usually, I want to feel like the AI is playing the normal game and there are just additional hurdles for me to overcome. This way I know what the AI is getting from and paying for everything (since I know how the 'normal' game works) even though I'm not getting the same deal. Also, it might be better for game balance that the AI is not running around with gazillion gold but rather the player to be poor. After all, as a human player I'll be able to play all my tricks to even the playingfield, essentially making the game play out more like the way it is designed balance-wise.

All in all the optimal way to handle the difficulty level in my opinion would probably be to have both a personal difficulty level that sets the hurdles for the human player and an AI difficulty level handling the intelligence and bonuses for each AI opponent individually. At least making this possible for modding would be great.

June 1, 2010 4:50:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If difficulty levels only modify what the AI does rather than the player, one option you could consider is allowing each AI in the game to have its own difficulty level. The standard method of "pick one difficulty, every AI gets its bonuses or handicaps" would still be the default, but there'd be somewhere on the AI players screen where you could pick on an individual basis. We could play games like setting one AI to the very highest level with all the accompanying cheats, and the rest to be on par with the player in terms of resources.

I wanna say some strategy games have allowed that in the past but I can't remember any names.

June 1, 2010 4:53:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That doesn't make any sense. Game AI will always be inferior to a human player (at least for the foreseeable future and without a supercomputer to back it up), so the devs do know that their AI is not particularly smart by human standards. There is no avoiding that, other than denial. Having only "tutorial" and "normal" means that a lot of people will find the game either too easy or too hard with no recourse. If you don't like the idea of handicaps, then don't use them. It's as simple as that (it's what I often do). If you choose too easy a difficulty for you, then next time chooser a harder one. On the other hand, if you only have "tutorial" and "normal", what if "normal" is too easy (or hard) for you? Then you're just screwed. Having AI difficulties that either handicap you or the AI (or give bonuses to you or the AI) is a good way to make sure that everybody can find a difficulty setting that suits them. People who have mastered the game can play against cheating AIs and still be challenged (otherwise it's just not fun anymore); people having trouble can play against handicapped AIs and move up to harder ones as they get better.

Stupid enough. The AI can be better at making choices. It seems that you know nothing about testing and math. The choices is finite so the AI should know the values. According to your text I should be glad to play aginst weak AI in chess in case i just have less figures? Do you really enjoy play agains idiot who cheat all the game long? That's all about. No one like it.

June 1, 2010 5:50:10 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Lavitage,
If difficulty levels only modify what the AI does rather than the player, one option you could consider is allowing each AI in the game to have its own difficulty level. The standard method of "pick one difficulty, every AI gets its bonuses or handicaps" would still be the default, but there'd be somewhere on the AI players screen where you could pick on an individual basis. We could play games like setting one AI to the very highest level with all the accompanying cheats, and the rest to be on par with the player in terms of resources.

I wanna say some strategy games have allowed that in the past but I can't remember any names.

Gal Civ 2 allowed this IIRC. The starting difficulty set all the AI's at the same level, but on the "Select Opposing Races" screen you could increase or decrease the difficulty for each individual race in the game with you.

Quoting Nikitosina,

That doesn't make any sense. Game AI will always be inferior to a human player (at least for the foreseeable future and without a supercomputer to back it up), so the devs do know that their AI is not particularly smart by human standards. There is no avoiding that, other than denial. Having only "tutorial" and "normal" means that a lot of people will find the game either too easy or too hard with no recourse. If you don't like the idea of handicaps, then don't use them. It's as simple as that (it's what I often do). If you choose too easy a difficulty for you, then next time chooser a harder one. On the other hand, if you only have "tutorial" and "normal", what if "normal" is too easy (or hard) for you? Then you're just screwed. Having AI difficulties that either handicap you or the AI (or give bonuses to you or the AI) is a good way to make sure that everybody can find a difficulty setting that suits them. People who have mastered the game can play against cheating AIs and still be challenged (otherwise it's just not fun anymore); people having trouble can play against handicapped AIs and move up to harder ones as they get better.

Stupid enough. The AI can be better at making choices. It seems that you know nothing about testing and math. The choices is finite so the AI should know the values. According to your text I should be glad to play aginst weak AI in chess in case i just have less figures? Do you really enjoy play agains idiot who cheat all the game long? That's all about. No one like it.

Fine, so you have a supercomputer capable of handling an AI advanced enough to play a complex turn based strategy game at the same level as the best human player on the face of the planet without cheating. The rest of us enjoy being able to play against a difficulty harder than "challenging" without having our CPUs melt into a pile of slag every time we play the game.

June 1, 2010 6:38:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

My job is to make the AI at Normal or Challenging as intelligent as I can.

Good luck Froggie! I am pretty sure that even the "retail AI" will be very good, but I expect to have a "world class AI" in the first expansion.

June 1, 2010 6:48:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DoomBringer90,
Fine, so you have a supercomputer capable of handling an AI advanced enough to play a complex turn based strategy game at the same level as the best human player on the face of the planet without cheating. The rest of us enjoy being able to play against a difficulty harder than "challenging" without having our CPUs melt into a pile of slag every time we play the game.

Even the worst player can be more challenging than a computer. I've never met a computer that attempted to use decoys to lure me into assaulting a worthless position. A computer basically builds things and sends them at you, it has no motivation, and it doesn't come to know you. Nikito is being unreasonable and short-sighted here. Handicaps are ugly, but they do challenge you, and that challenge isnt fake. As an aside, Niki, read the article. What does the Frogboy say he used to do in his personal GalCiv runs?

Playing against an idiot who cheats all the game long? Someone likes it. (Two someones, even.)

June 1, 2010 7:38:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed. I don't know, if I will use this feature, but It is good to have it in the game. No one is forced to use it, but there will allways be people, for them even the hardest AI would not be hard enough.

I remember the same situation (and debate) in Sins of the solar empire. A similar option was added to the game later. I remember some posts, where people, that wanted to play coop game with their friends, wanted the AI players to be stronger, because the basic concept of the game was all against all. So the human alliance at the beginning could possibly be considered to be cheating too and adding bonuses to AI resources can compensate it.

June 1, 2010 8:48:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One other upside from the option to give yourself penalties would be that you could make the game a real battle for survival without changing all monsters and such to be stronger. If you can only adjust the AI difficulty from the game menus, then the higher the AI difficulty the less of an impact roaming monsters will have on the game.

By contrast, if you give penalties to the human player, the neutral units will kind of get a boost as well. Also they'll pose a greater threat to the AI players too, since the AI won't have the added HP bonuses and such.

June 1, 2010 8:58:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do not want a challenging AI. I like playing endlessly more then being challenged, Sim City style. However, in almost every game, setting the AI to be less challenging makes it less competent. So instead of having fun in beating the AI, while building the most excessive profitable economy ever, I get treated with endless streams of dumb decisions.

I want an AI that is smart, but bound to loose.

June 1, 2010 9:37:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BvG,
I do not want a challenging AI. I like playing endlessly more then being challenged, Sim City style. However, in almost every game, setting the AI to be less challenging makes it less competent. So instead of having fun in beating the AI, while building the most excessive profitable economy ever, I get treated with endless streams of dumb decisions.

You are my direct opposite. I want the AI to win 90% of the time, and I want to feel an accoplishment when I finally beat the bastard

June 1, 2010 9:44:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,

Quoting BvG,
reply 37

You are my direct opposite. I want the AI to win 90% of the time, and I want to feel an accoplishment when I finally beat the bastard

Agreed...even tho having an AI like that is a bit utopistic [sadly], isn't it?

June 1, 2010 9:49:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's really disappointing. I was hoping that the A.I. wouldn't cheat at any level like in Galciv2.

June 1, 2010 9:55:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Garisi,

Quoting DoomBringer90, reply 32Fine, so you have a supercomputer capable of handling an AI advanced enough to play a complex turn based strategy game at the same level as the best human player on the face of the planet without cheating. The rest of us enjoy being able to play against a difficulty harder than "challenging" without having our CPUs melt into a pile of slag every time we play the game.
Even the worst player can be more challenging than a computer. I've never met a computer that attempted to use decoys to lure me into assaulting a worthless position. A computer basically builds things and sends them at you, it has no motivation, and it doesn't come to know you. Nikito is being unreasonable and short-sighted here. Handicaps are ugly, but they do challenge you, and that challenge isnt fake. As an aside, Niki, read the article. What does the Frogboy say he used to do in his personal GalCiv runs?

Playing against an idiot who cheats all the game long? Someone likes it. (Two someones, even.)

Not always true.  One thing I've learned from fighting games is that some players can be more  predictable then any AI.

That said, the best players will beat the best AI our computers can provide.  We're not getting Deep Blue in our homes anytime soon, and Elemental will be harder for a computer to handle then Chess.

June 1, 2010 10:51:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's really disappointing. I was hoping that the A.I. wouldn't cheat at any level like in Galciv2
You'll notice all those ratios are at 1:1 (or below) up through challenging, so they're playing the same game as the player up until the higher difficulties (GC2 cheated a bit on the higher levels as well, IIRC).

June 1, 2010 11:22:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It probably would be possible to make a better breakdown
in the XML i think.

However i do not see that as a priority or as necesary. Do not forget that both us and Frogboy will learn alot after playing a couple of rounds so to quote "Practice makes perfect" applies to both what breakdowns are needed as to the overall quality of the AI.

The huge advantage i see here for Elemental is that this open system will let Frogboy/Stardock make changes rather quickly as they see fit.

P.S.

By the way, this is my first post, but i've watched the developments from the begining, I have huge hopes for the game great going so far.

To make a small sugestion here, it might be a good ideea to be able to set the difficulty level so that AI gets a head start (or even some AI starts later). Gameplay/roleplaying wise it is unlikely that all sovereigns come to "awareness" at once.

June 1, 2010 11:30:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please, oh please, allow us to e able to change the difficulty level of AI players during the game!  This is a feature I've been looking for in TBS strategy games for two decades.

Typically, in the past, I'd have to cheat on behalf of the AI by trading all kinds of free stuff to them mid or late game, but still, the challenge was gone.

Let us bring back that challenge by being able to change their difficulty level during the game!  Or at least put in the hooks for it so you or the community can enable it later on.

June 1, 2010 11:42:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nikitosina,

Regardless of how you like to play your games, it is impossible to make a truly competitive AI that can challenge a human without some sort of bonuses(whether it be information, production, whatever) for something as complex as Elemental. The choices may be finite, but they are still extremely numerous, and unless you want to wait all day to play a turn there is no way it can account for them all.

Also, please stop for a moment and realize your preferences are not the preferences of everyone else.

June 1, 2010 12:00:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The search space for a complex strategy game is much larger than the search space for a game like chess, particularly as the game world grows over time (more cities, more units, more choices).  In most complex strategy games, you also have to deal with the fact that you don't have full information.  In chess, you can see your opponent's position perfectly and thus can make inferences on how your choices will impact their choices, which in turn will impact your choices.  When dealing with incomplete information, you can only observe your opponent's state indirectly and may actually have to make choices specifically designed to gather information so that you can make more intelligent choices.

This doesn't lend itself to a traditional branch-and-evaluate AI system, at least on a macro scale (you might use it for micro decisions, like specific choices in tactical combat or exactly where to place the next building.)  The AI for most 4x games ends up being a goal generator and evaluator, with different weights and different scopes (some are long-term goals like 'build a large army' or 'become a tech master' whereas others are shorter-term like 'conquer city X').  Goals are decomposed into actions that further the goal and the AI has to decide how to make use of finite resources to take actions in a way that furthers the goals as efficiently as possible.  This is basically how human players play.

The problem is that it's actually quite challenging to create goals and decompose them into actions and it's particularly difficult to do it in a way that can be unexpected or novel.  Computers typically win out in micromanagement (they never get bored or tired), but where humans tend to beat them is in understanding the patterns in the way they play and outsmarting their consistent behaviors.  You can try to resolve this by injecting an element of randomness, but this can also lead to some pretty stupid decisions if you're not careful.  I have a lot of respect for AI developers, as AI is an extremely challenging problem, with no clearly defined optimal solution.  On top of that, AI has to compete against an extremely powerful heuristics processor, which is capable of recognizing almost any pattern or weakness, given sufficient time to observe and analyze.

June 1, 2010 12:54:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"The problem is that it's actually quite challenging to create goals and decompose them into actions and it's particularly difficult to do it in a way that can be unexpected or novel.  Computers typically win out in micromanagement (they never get bored or tired), but where humans tend to beat them is in understanding the patterns in the way they play and outsmarting their consistent behaviors.  You can try to resolve this by injecting an element of randomness, but this can also lead to some pretty stupid decisions if you're not careful.  I have a lot of respect for AI developers, as AI is an extremely challenging problem, with no clearly defined optimal solution.  On top of that, AI has to compete against an extremely powerful heuristics processor, which is capable of recognizing almost any pattern or weakness, given sufficient time to observe and analyze."

My man you could not have written this any better.  As a developer in workflow and logic which does not come close to the complexity of AI programming, trying to figure out how a human is going to react to a situation and have a computer match move for move is just not realistic at this point.

June 1, 2010 1:33:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lol. I particularly like the math bit. Yes, the PhD theoretical physics student knows nothing about math. Anyways, if you want to read a good response to your statement, read delphizealot's. He laid out pretty much all of the reasons why developing AI for games like Elemental is so difficult, particularly when they have to compete against humans in an area that the human brain is supremely good at.

The fact that, when you open your eyes and see some 100 different objects in front of you and you can recognize what each and every one of those objects are instantly - even if its something you'd never seen before! - is an incredible feat. If you believe that God created us, then it is quite literally a miracle. If you don't, then it is a massive feat of evolutionary engineering. Asking for the same from a computer would therefore either be blasphemous or just wishful thinking.

To expand on the magnitude of the search space issue... The search space of Chess is of the order 10^50. That's pretty huge, it's a 1 with 50 zeroes after it. I doubt it has a name. But it's small enough and can be reduced enough by just being clever to the point where you really can make a Chess AI that evaluates all possible worthwhile moves on the board, as well as their future consequences many turns later into the game. Chess doesn't have all that much to do with patterns, really. 

Then take a game like Go. It has a bigger board (19x19), no distinction between pieces, and some other peculiar features about it - some patterns can be easily deciphered by even beginner players allowing them to look far into the future of the game, at least for a specific area. People play it very differently from the way they play chess; they play it a little more like they might play a TBS video game IMO. Go has a search space of up to about 10^170. That's a 10 with 170 zeroes after it. That number is roughly 10^90 times larger than the estimated number of particles in the observable Universe. To make it worse, because of the 'peculiarities' of Go, it is difficult to reduce it very much. As a result, making Go-playing AIs is much, much harder than Chess-playing AIs.

Now take a game like Elemental. The size of the map in the current beta is what, 50x50? 100x100? One of those I think. The Elemental "board" (and not the max size board) is roughly 10 times bigger than Go's. You have customizable units. You build cities, where location matters. There are special features on the game board (resources, rivers, mountains, oceans, Dragon Fountains, broken wagons...). There is magic. There is tactical combat which happens off of the strategic map. There are randomly generated aspects of the game! You don't have full information... You start out without even being able to see the whole map let alone what's on it. There can be more than two players. There are multiple ways to win.

So please, don't go comparing Elemental to Chess. While I'd love for Elemental's AI to be to TBS games as Big Blue was to Chess, I would also like to play Elemental while I'm still alive. That is a commendable goal, but an entirely unrealistic one that requires more money than Stardock is worth and more time than they have. Therefore, we will have to settle for the best they can give us in a reasonable time-frame. Thankfully, Brad is quite good at what he does and I am sure that as far as TBS AIs go, it will be among the top. And like he said, it will continue to improve long after release.

June 1, 2010 2:43:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting arstal,

That said, the best players will beat the best AI our computers can provide.  We're not getting Deep Blue in our homes anytime soon, and Elemental will be harder for a computer to handle then Chess.

Deep Blue is a Masterpiece for What It Does. We have to understand though, it was Made Specifically  for Chess. Here's the numbers for the actual moves in Chess. This should give you a limited idea on what kinds of numbers Deep Blue is crunching and making it's strategies with.

1) "The number of legal positions in chess is estimated to be between 10^43 and 10^50, with a game-tree complexity of approximately 10^123. The game-tree complexity of chess was first calculated by Claude Shannon as 10^120, a number known as the Shannon number. Typically an average position has thirty to forty possible moves, but there may be as few as zero (in the case of checkmate or stalemate) or as many as 218."
Source and further information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess

Read more: How many possible moves are there in chess? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/360563#ixzz0pcvc3o8M

2) "Chess is infinite: There are 400 different positions after each player makes one move apiece. There are 72,084 positions after two moves apiece. There are 9+ million positions after three moves apiece. There are 288+ billion different possible positions after four moves apiece. There are more 40-move games on Level-1 than the number of electrons in our universe. There are more game-trees of Chess than the number of galaxies (100+ billion), and more openings, defenses, gambits, etc. than the number of quarks in our universe! --Chesmayne"
Source and further information:
http://www.chess-poster.com/english/notes_and_facts/did_you_know.htm

Read more: How many possible moves are there in chess? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/360563#ixzz0pcw1arUd

Knowing that, we can see for our-selves that Deep Blue is indeed a miracle of programming. Still if you take all the Options in Chess, I.E. a "Option" would be a "Possible move" in Chess. Then count up all the "Options" in Elemental, I.E. Being things like, move, attack, defend, cast spell, flank, duck down, etc etc what-ever all the moves may be. Well....Elemental is Obviously Far More Complex than Chess wishes it could Ever be. Even the "3 Board" style of Chess from Star Trek: TNG doesn't have nearly as many moves/options as Elemental.

If you hook up Deep Blue to Elemental it would sit there like a brain dead zombie drooling on its-self trying to think of what to do. Should I found a city, where? What should I build in that city? What resources do I need? What should I research? What spells work best in what situations?

The Elemental AI has to be written to do the best thing for each individual system that Elemental has. I.E. Diplomacy AI settings, Research AI settings, Tactical Battles AI settings ( in those examples "settings" are "Brains" ) . Elemental is Infinitely More Complex than Chess ever wishes it could be. The AI for Elemental will be quite a challenge. Luckily for us, we all Know that Stardock will upgrade the AI as patches and Expansions come out. They aren't going to make us wait for a "Expansion" to upgrade the AI. That will happen in Patches. New Features, IE Maps, Quests, Spells, Monsters, Game Styles...those will come in Expansions, of course with some minor AI tweaks as well. But I can almost guarantee that aside from the standard Bug Fixes, the Elemental Patches will have some AI upgrades as well as time goes by.

A year from now, the AI in Elemental will be mind boggling good. I don't think we'll have anything at all to fear in the AI department.

June 1, 2010 3:14:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A year from now, the AI in Elemental will be mind boggling good. I don't think we'll have anything at all to fear in the AI department.

Your a lot more optimistic than I am....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time: